Better to workout every day or every other?

  1. New Member
    jimmbow's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    99
    Rep Power
    149
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    28.14%

    Better to workout every day or every other?


    Alright so I recently decided I would want to start working out every day. It would look something like this...

    Mon:
    Tris
    Tues:
    Legs/Lower Back
    Wed:
    Shoulders
    Thur:
    Chest/Upper Back
    Fri:
    Bis/Forearms

    Instead of:

    Mon:
    Tris/Chest
    Wed:
    Legs/Back
    Fri:
    Bis/Shoulders


    ....so is there any direct advantage of going daily? The main reason I want to is so I can keep myself busy in the morning and not sleep until noon, and I figured focusing on a specific group would help gain. Am I wrong by this, or would it really not matter? I also heard that working out for longer than an hour causes you to start loosing muscle as well as fat, is this true? Because that is another reason I want to go daily.

  2. New Member
    lazerss9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    132
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    33.15%

    working out everyday is def not a good idea. ull quickly over train and u dont give ur body time to recover, which is when it grows. also, im assuming since this is in the bulking section, ur having a hard time putting on weight, and if thats the case, less is more. working out everyday is probably more of a disadvantage then an advantage. working out 3 days/week should be plenty. also, make sure to get plenty of compound moves in ur workouts and switch up ur routine from time to time to keep ur body from getting used to it. from my understanding, its a bad idea to work out more than an hour and a half, but i dont think u immediately start losing muscle if u work out longer than that.

    look into a 5x5 routine, dogcrap training or hst training if ur looking for size and strength, and make sure ur eating enough. good luck.
  3. New Member
    sameerkhan51's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    100
    Rep Power
    140
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    71.16%

    If u work out every day then how are the muscles gonna recover..
    As far as i know Muscles need 24-48 hour rest to recover after the work out so i would recommend you to work out every other day... it also helps you to love your work out more and more... and trust me every other day you go you will be more energetic....
    3 days a week is good.. as doing it every other day and also if you wanna work out four days a week then combine legs and abs and do them..
    i use to work out everyday but never gained much...
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    jimmbow's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    99
    Rep Power
    149
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    28.14%

    OK thanks for the advice guys, so anyway I was looking into doggcrap training, I'm thinking of trying it for maybe 2 months. But one thing I'm confused about is that exactly does something like "explosive positive, and A 6-8 SECOND NEGATIVE" mean? What are negatives and positives, I can make an educated guess, but I would rather be informed then guessed.
  5. New Member
    lazerss9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    132
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    33.15%

    using bench press as an example: positive is pushing the weight from ur chest to the top and negatives are lowering the weight from the top to ur chest.
  6. New Member
    beebab's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    463
    Rep Power
    322
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    57.74%

    Quote Originally Posted by lazerss9 View Post
    using bench press as an example: positive is pushing the weight from ur chest to the top and negatives are lowering the weight from the top to ur chest.
    right. negative movements are called eccentric training and are beneficial if incorporated into your workouts. you can generally add these at the end of any heavy set to get a few extra reps, with a spotter, or you can do sets of pure negatives with heavier weights. the negative motion has the most impact on encouraging muscle growth.

    when you train, make it a point to stick to an hr max... unless you're taking something like an anti-cortisol that would allow you to train a little longer. the reason for this is that, after 45 or so, your body naturally elevates its cortisol levels. cortisol is an extremely catabolic hormone your body makes, that breaks down muscle tissue. it's highest in the morning when you wake up and again after an intense workout. if you work out for hours at a time your body will begin feeding on its own muscle tissue and you won't gain anything. stick to shorter workouts, eat directly post workout to combat cortisol, and allot yourself enough time to rest and you will grow over time.

    i generally stick to a 4 day split (i.e. mon/ tues ON, wed off... thurs/fri ON). this type of routine works pretty well for me. you don't have to devote an entire day to working a single body part. arrange your schedule such that you're working contrasting muscle groups on the same day.

    EX: chest/ biceps, back/ triceps or shoulders/ triceps, legs, etc.

    This way you're not always hitting similar muscle groups on the same day. Not to say working chest/ tris isn't a good idea per say, but as a way of focusing each muscle individually w/o overtraining this would work.

    Training 3 days a week on a HIT plan would also be very effective.
  7. New Member
    bearmeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    286
    Rep Power
    262
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    33.8%

    Quote Originally Posted by lazerss9 View Post
    working out everyday is def not a good idea. ull quickly over train and u dont give ur body time to recover, which is when it grows. also, im assuming since this is in the bulking section, ur having a hard time putting on weight, and if thats the case, less is more. working out everyday is probably more of a disadvantage then an advantage. working out 3 days/week should be plenty. also, make sure to get plenty of compound moves in ur workouts and switch up ur routine from time to time to keep ur body from getting used to it. from my understanding, its a bad idea to work out more than an hour and a half, but i dont think u immediately start losing muscle if u work out longer than that.

    look into a 5x5 routine, dogcrap training or hst training if ur looking for size and strength, and make sure ur eating enough. good luck.
    Actually lots of people work out five times a week and recover fine. Of course this is dependent on the individual. I did a Max-OT routine back in the day five days a week for eight weeks and was fine. He's still resting Sat and Sun

    Jimmbow, if you're simply spreading out what you would do in three days into five days that is perfectly fine. Personally I would not structure the routine like that however....
  8. New Member
    lazerss9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    132
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    33.15%

    my fault, i read the everyday part and assumed 7 days/week. but i still think that for bulking, less is more, but then again thats a personal thing.
  9. New Member
    anabolicloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    127
    Rep Power
    156
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    62.45%

    i work out every signle day and all i do is gain
    i do a 3 day split
    day1
    squats 4sets
    deadlifts 3 sets
    calf raises 3 sets

    day2 bis and tris
    and shoulders

    day 3 chest and back

    you just have to rest your bodyparts 48 hrs
    you can work different muscles everyday
    you actually gain alot if your workout everyday
    because your pumping gh through your veins everytime you workout
    of course i usually do have a day off a week
  10. Elite Member
    ReaperX's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    7
    Posts
    6,487
    Rep Power
    33342
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    16.73%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Since I travel and have sucky sleep I always give it 2 days between exercises b/c my recovery is horrid. No biggie, just gotta wait a little longer than usual.
  11. New Member
    newob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    37
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    164
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    88.41%

    Quote Originally Posted by anabolicloc View Post
    i work out every signle day and all i do is gain
    i do a 3 day split
    day1
    squats 4sets
    deadlifts 3 sets
    calf raises 3 sets

    day2 bis and tris
    and shoulders

    day 3 chest and back

    you just have to rest your bodyparts 48 hrs
    you can work different muscles everyday
    you actually gain alot if your workout everyday
    because your pumping gh through your veins everytime you workout
    of course i usually do have a day off a week
    I agree, as long as there is plenty of time off in between each muscle group. I workout 6-7 times a week and have been gaining more than I ever have lately by using this split;

    day 1- Chest, abs
    day 2- Arms
    day 3- back, shoulders, abs
    day 4- legs
    day 5- either take off or start over with Chest, abs

    :bb:
  12. New Member
    jimmbow's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    99
    Rep Power
    149
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    28.14%

    OK, so I think I'm going to go for an HST training routine for about 8 weeks, in your guys personal opinion, would it be better to do and upper body and then a lower body day? Or do full body in different routines?
  13. New Member
    beebab's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    463
    Rep Power
    322
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    57.74%

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmbow View Post
    OK, so I think I'm going to go for an HST training routine for about 8 weeks, in your guys personal opinion, would it be better to do and upper body and then a lower body day? Or do full body in different routines?
    I tried doing more of a hybrid btw HST and HIT, with full body workouts three times a week and it worked out pretty nicely for me. There's lots of different splits you can do. If you prefer separating upper body from lower body, you can follow an ABABAB type routine and work out 6 times a week OR you can do full body. Either way it'll be ok. The only drawback I see to working out 6 times a week is that you won't have much resting time in between workouts, which is important for CNS recovery. But try both and see what works best for you.
  14. Advanced Member
    SteelEntity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    595
    Rep Power
    389
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    42.01%

    Take a look at this link, it shows how one can benefit from overtraining for a short period followed by undertraining.http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/...rtraining.html
  15. Elite Member
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,711
    Rep Power
    513543
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    88.88%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    I also think this depends on your age. I see young, 19-23 year old guys in the gym every single day training hard and they look solid.

    At 35 however, there is no way I could do that kind of frequency without being on cycle permanently..which I'm not going to do.

    When you get older, then you'll have to use different strategies to avoid overtraining...and keep in mind that overtraining is NOT a muscular condition, rather is when you deplete your neurotransmitters to the point where you start to get weaker, have a weaker GH response and it will even lower test levels in some cases.
  16. New Member
    sameerkhan51's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    100
    Rep Power
    140
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    71.16%

    Quote Originally Posted by anabolicloc View Post
    i work out every signle day and all i do is gain
    i do a 3 day split
    day1
    squats 4sets
    deadlifts 3 sets
    calf raises 3 sets

    day2 bis and tris
    and shoulders

    day 3 chest and back

    you just have to rest your bodyparts 48 hrs
    you can work different muscles everyday
    you actually gain alot if your workout everyday
    because your pumping gh through your veins everytime you workout
    of course i usually do have a day off a week
    it might be working great for you but as you said that you need 48 hrs to rest ur body parts so how do u rest ur tris when u do chest the other day bcz almost all the chest exercise focus on ur triceps too.. and the back exercises specially the lat pull downs and stuffs also effects ur bis growth ..
  17. New Member
    anabolicloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    127
    Rep Power
    156
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    62.45%

    ya but when i work tris i isolate them
    when i do chest im not isolating my tris
    i know what your getting at it tho
  18. Advanced Member
    SteelEntity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    595
    Rep Power
    389
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    42.01%

    Quote Originally Posted by sameerkhan51 View Post
    it might be working great for you but as you said that you need 48 hrs to rest ur body parts so how do u rest ur tris when u do chest the other day bcz almost all the chest exercise focus on ur triceps too.. and the back exercises specially the lat pull downs and stuffs also effects ur bis growth ..
    Who said you need 2 days to recover? some people need 4 some need 7 some need 9. It's all based on the person, there is no set days to rest. You need to find what works for you. The majority work each body part 1 per week. If you are relatively new to lifting then a full body workout 2-3 times per week can work wonders. Even experienced lifters sometimes use this.
  19. New Member
    sameerkhan51's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    100
    Rep Power
    140
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    71.16%

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelEntity View Post
    Who said you need 2 days to recover? some people need 4 some need 7 some need 9. It's all based on the person, there is no set days to rest. You need to find what works for you. The majority work each body part 1 per week. If you are relatively new to lifting then a full body workout 2-3 times per week can work wonders. Even experienced lifters sometimes use this.
    i quoted his sayings brother..
    i totally agree with you.. i work 1 body part per week.. and i believe it is the best thing to do than to train them twice or a week or something..
  20. Registered User
    Ubiquitous's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  231 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,462
    Rep Power
    1850
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    2.3%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by lazerss9 View Post
    working out everyday is def not a good idea. ull quickly over train and u dont give ur body time to recover, which is when it grows. also, im assuming since this is in the bulking section, ur having a hard time putting on weight, and if thats the case, less is more. working out everyday is probably more of a disadvantage then an advantage. working out 3 days/week should be plenty. also, make sure to get plenty of compound moves in ur workouts and switch up ur routine from time to time to keep ur body from getting used to it. from my understanding, its a bad idea to work out more than an hour and a half, but i dont think u immediately start losing muscle if u work out longer than that.

    look into a 5x5 routine, dogcrap training or hst training if ur looking for size and strength, and make sure ur eating enough. good luck.
    You and Sameerkahn are forgetting the balance of frequency with intensity and volume.

    You can totally get away with a *classic* 5 day split. It's classic for a reason.

    Try to not be so finite with your advice and try something out before you knock it.

    I'm curious as to what expertise you have in this field to be giving such adamant advice.

    Jimmbow, you're fine with what you have outlined. Try new things and see how you react. It is individualized, but keep in mind the frequency/intensity/volume balance. If you raise frequency ( like Doggcrap training) then you lower volume and keep intensity high. Much like if you raise volume, you lower intensity or frequency to balance it out. Listen to your body, it will give you signs of overtraining. Might I suggest you pair Biceps with Triceps on their own day. I used to have a standard 5 day split like this, before I got more varied with my workouts.

    Monday=Chest
    Tuesday=Back
    Wednesday=Shoulders/Traps
    Thursday=Legs
    Friday=Biceps/Triceps
    Sat/Sun=Off

    Always try what works for you before listening to someone you don't really know well enough to verify their knowledge. That goes for my advice as well.
  21. New Member
    lazerss9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    132
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    33.15%

    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
    You and Sameerkahn are forgetting the balance of frequency with intensity and volume.

    You can totally get away with a *classic* 5 day split. It's classic for a reason.

    Try to not be so finite with your advice and try something out before you knock it.

    I'm curious as to what expertise you have in this field to be giving such adamant advice.

    Jimmbow, you're fine with what you have outlined. Try new things and see how you react. It is individualized, but keep in mind the frequency/intensity/volume balance. If you raise frequency ( like Doggcrap training) then you lower volume and keep intensity high. Much like if you raise volume, you lower intensity or frequency to balance it out. Listen to your body, it will give you signs of overtraining. Might I suggest you pair Biceps with Triceps on their own day. I used to have a standard 5 day split like this, before I got more varied with my workouts.

    Monday=Chest
    Tuesday=Back
    Wednesday=Shoulders/Traps
    Thursday=Legs
    Friday=Biceps/Triceps
    Sat/Sun=Off

    Always try what works for you before listening to someone you don't really know well enough to verify their knowledge. That goes for my advice as well.
    i was just relaying the majority of the advice given to me. this is just my opinion and what has worked for me, so i pass this on, but take it with a grain of salt. also, as i corrected, i thought he was talking about training 7 days/week(everyday) not 5. i wasnt trying to be "so finite", but i saw everyday and assumed he meant 7 days/week before i continued reading. sorry for any bad advice that i gave, i was just trying to be helpful with what information that i no from experience and from asking the same kind of questions myself.
  22. Advanced Member
    SteelEntity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    595
    Rep Power
    389
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    42.01%

    Have you guys every tried Mentzer's HIT routine? I can't say enough about how effective and efficient it is.
  23. New Member
    sameerkhan51's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    100
    Rep Power
    140
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    71.16%

    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
    You and Sameerkahn are forgetting the balance of frequency with intensity and volume.

    You can totally get away with a *classic* 5 day split. It's classic for a reason.

    Try to not be so finite with your advice and try something out before you knock it.

    I'm curious as to what expertise you have in this field to be giving such adamant advice.

    Jimmbow, you're fine with what you have outlined. Try new things and see how you react. It is individualized, but keep in mind the frequency/intensity/volume balance. If you raise frequency ( like Doggcrap training) then you lower volume and keep intensity high. Much like if you raise volume, you lower intensity or frequency to balance it out. Listen to your body, it will give you signs of overtraining. Might I suggest you pair Biceps with Triceps on their own day. I used to have a standard 5 day split like this, before I got more varied with my workouts.

    Monday=Chest
    Tuesday=Back
    Wednesday=Shoulders/Traps
    Thursday=Legs
    Friday=Biceps/Triceps
    Sat/Sun=Off

    Always try what works for you before listening to someone you don't really know well enough to verify their knowledge. That goes for my advice as well.
    I would say you must have more experience in this field since i can see the size of you .. lol.. take a peak at ur picture.. you are huge.. good size and ripped.. that's what a builder should look like..
    cheers my friend..:bb3:
  24. Registered User
    Ubiquitous's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  231 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,462
    Rep Power
    1850
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    2.3%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    lazers9, I hear you, no fualt for you trying to be helpful.

    sameer, I am not huge in my mind. But thank you for the compliment.

    Again, different things work for different people. I mean, look at the guys in prison. Ridiculous frequency, and volume, but some are just monsters and diced up. Some people respond to strange stimuli.
  25. New Member
    sameerkhan51's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    100
    Rep Power
    140
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    71.16%

    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
    lazers9, I hear you, no fualt for you trying to be helpful.

    sameer, I am not huge in my mind. But thank you for the compliment.

    Again, different things work for different people. I mean, look at the guys in prison. Ridiculous frequency, and volume, but some are just monsters and diced up. Some people respond to strange stimuli.
    Very true my friend...
  26. Advanced Member
    getswole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    35
    Posts
    769
    Rep Power
    475
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    2.33%

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelEntity View Post
    Have you guys every tried Mentzer's HIT routine? I can't say enough about how effective and efficient it is.
    I pull his book out every couple months and read through again,Mentzer was awesome,he reminds me of myself(w/o the porn star mustache,lol!)But seriously,All I can say is Pre-Exhaust,Pre-Exhaust,PRE_EXHAUST!!!!Mentzer was the man back in his day.I believe he was genetically gifted also,but his routine and total outlook on his routines/scientific applied knowledge is as good as it gets,also in one of his books he breaks it down into a hundred something pages,where as Arnolds"Bible" gets you lost in all the bs before you can actually benefit from reading 1000 pages,lol.:bb3:
  27. Advanced Member
    getswole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    35
    Posts
    769
    Rep Power
    475
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    2.33%

    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post

    Monday=Chest
    Tuesday=Back
    Wednesday=Shoulders/Traps
    Thursday=Legs
    Friday=Biceps/Triceps
    Sat/Sun=Off

    .
    Good call Ubi,thats basically what I use as my bread and butter routine.Follow that and you can't go wrong,Notice how Tris/bis are far away from chest day....this is VERY important for proper training of both chest and arms..Also make sure to Pre-EXHAUST!!!
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Bulk eat every day or workout days?
    By avenged43 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-21-2014, 04:41 PM
  2. Is it ok to workout 6 days a week?
    By Cokeboyz in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-16-2012, 04:34 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 11:36 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2009, 12:34 AM
  5. Test Injections Every Week or Every Other Week?
    By longrob in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-20-2008, 08:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in