glen's diet

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Buff Bagwell

hey glen, i was wondering what the reasoning is for taking metamucil before bedtime? I just barely noticed it under your diet...

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.29%

Quote Originally Posted by glenihan
    can you explain this a bit more?
    I can't resist but quote rapper/ex-pimp Suga Free: "If it's good TO ya, it must be good FOR ya". I agree with this, and so does much of Eastern medicine. Not to get all weird, but there's an Ayurvedic principle that states basically that our taste receptors "know" what's physiologically good for us as individuals. This is why everyone has a different list of favorite foods. For the most part, we still have the instinct/inborn ability to optimize our diets from a health & longevity standpoint -- by simply choosing the food subtypes we like the taste of. There's a strong psychosomatic connection. So in the case of fruit, if pick 1 or more types of your favorite fruit to consume throughout the week. If you can do 3 different types in a week, you're doing what you can to maximize variety. This is a good thing, since every plant & animal species in nature has a unique benefit to health - and in the BB context, a unique benefit to recovery & growth of lean tissue.
  3. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.54%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

hmm so i should start pounding big macs?
    •   

4. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.54%

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell
    hey glen, i was wondering what the reasoning is for taking metamucil before bedtime? I just barely noticed it under your diet...
    to get extra fiber in my diet and keep everything moving along freely i feel better since i've started doing it
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.29%

Quote Originally Posted by glenihan
    hmm so i should start pounding big macs?
    The principle mainly applies to whole foods. But if you can find Big Macs growing on trees in your area, then by all means...
  6. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.54%

damn .. not too many big mac trees in nyc ... might have to venture to jersey ...
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  231 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.09%

I hear Ronnie Mcdonald grows Big Macs in the Amazon... and Chicken McNuggets in Chernobyl.

I like that Ayurvedic way of thinking.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.86%

Quote Originally Posted by alan aragon
    Even if ALL the glycogen depots are full, the elevated thermic demand of the trained state determines that those carbs get used to generate ATP, and not converted to stored fat.
    Hey Alan,

Could you expound on this? More precise definition of "trained state" and approximate (or maximum) amount of carbs. Any formal references to this that you could point to?
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.29%

Quote Originally Posted by t-bone2
    Hey Alan,

Could you expound on this? More precise definition of "trained state" and approximate (or maximum) amount of carbs. Any formal references to this that you could point to?
    I've read that de novo lipogenesis as a result of carbs would take massive overfeeds for days on end, so the effect of a single meal while your cells are like blast furnaces (during & immediately posttraining) would be less than negligible. Trained state refers to the increased sensitivity to insulin, receptivity by lean tissue to fuels, increased thermogenesis, increased beta adrenergic activity, etc, etc. Maximum amount of carbs before lipogenesis occurs would be tough to pin down, because by the end of the day, it wouldn't matter anyway if your net fat balance isn't positive. Nother words, let's say you ate a box of entemann's cinnamon rolls postworkout, but by the end of the day or week, it didn't contribute to a caloric surplus of unused kcals, then you're fine. That's the whole concept behind refeeds, it's tough for them to be acutely lipogenic, and even tougher for them to be chronically lipogenic if thermo balance & training were in check.
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.86%

Thanks, that's great news. Especially since those Entemann's cinnamon buns come twelve to a pack. Means I can scarf one down between each interval during at HIIT session!
  11. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.69%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Glen, how would you structure your diet differently if say you worked out at 6pm or so? If I am not mistaken, didn't you used to work out later in the evening? Thanks for your time, good to see your workouts are going well.

Grass

Similar Forum Threads

1. Step By Step Keto Diet Plan!
    By Blindfaith in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 251
    Last Post: 02-14-2011, 11:46 PM
  2. Your Thoughts And Opinions on Keto Dieting??
    By YellowJacket in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-02-2002, 01:12 AM
  3. Carb sensistive after keto diet?
    By lbm4life in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-04-2002, 04:56 PM
  4. diet on cycle
    By sage in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2002, 06:53 PM
  5. High/Medium Carb Diets...