Help With Bi's and Tri's

jimmbow

jimmbow

Awards
Alright, so I've been noticing that my arms won't gain muscle towards my body(so my right arm looks really flat on the left side, and left looks flat on the right). Are there any certain workouts that will help me gain in those areas? Or will it grow with time??

jimmbow

jimmbow

Awards
What does your workout look like?
My Workout(not with specific sets)

Mon - Tri's/Chest
Incline Bench
Skull Crushers
Flat Bench
Close Grip w/ Bench Dip Super Sets
Decline EZ Bar Tricep Extension
Seated Press
Decline Bench
Dips

Wed - Bi's/Shoulder(Not including shoulders)
Hammers
EZ Bar Curl
Concentraion Curls
Burn-out with 21's

Fri - Bi's/Back
(same as Wed.)

thats a rough outline of my arm workout days

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
IMO, waaaaaaaaay too much volume. How many sets per exercise are you doing? Let's assume 3... ie: You're doing 5 primary tricep exercises on a day when you're also doing chest exercises, almost ALL of which include triceps as well. If you're doing 3 tricep sets per exercise, you're looking at 15 sets of direct tris... as well as an equal amount of hitting tris indirectly. Even if you were only doing an average of 2 sets per exercise, you're still looking at an awful lot.

Same with biceps... You're doin bout 20ish sets a week of biceps, with only a day recovery between 2 bicep workouts.

My bis/tris started growing when I cut them back to about 7 intense sets (8-10 reps) for bis, and 9 for tris. For cutting, I only do 6 sets of each, and neither shrink one bit. If you're trying to put on mass and want to focus on your arms, give them a day on their own, and really lower the amount of sets you do.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
21's on a weekly basis is bad when you're already working them out on seperate days that same week.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
IMO, waaaaaaaaay too much volume. How many sets per exercise are you doing? Let's assume 3... ie: You're doing 5 primary tricep exercises on a day when you're also doing chest exercises, almost ALL of which include triceps as well. If you're doing 3 tricep sets per exercise, you're looking at 15 sets of direct tris... as well as an equal amount of hitting tris indirectly. Even if you were only doing an average of 2 sets per exercise, you're still looking at an awful lot.

Same with biceps... You're doin bout 20ish sets a week of biceps, with only a day recovery between 2 bicep workouts.

My bis/tris started growing when I cut them back to about 7 intense sets (8-10 reps) for bis, and 9 for tris. For cutting, I only do 6 sets of each, and neither shrink one bit. If you're trying to put on mass and want to focus on your arms, give them a day on their own, and really lower the amount of sets you do.
what he said. I notice my arms get smaller the more volume i do.

On my last cycle i did str8 chest days with only 3 sets of a tricep exercise, same with back and bis. That way your arms recover faster and you can do a bi tri day. I was doing chest w/ light tris, back w/light bis, rest, legs abs, bis tris. It gave me about1/2 inch on my arms.

jimmbow

jimmbow

Awards
well then, whats a good routine to help my tri's grow better. I mean certain workouts that will do better than others.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
Well I was going to say the same thing about volume..anyway

close grip bench (using smith if no partner)
reverse grip bench (same for smith)
skull crushers
dips (in upright position)

h19

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well I was going to say the same thing about volume..anyway

close grip bench (using smith if no partner)
reverse grip bench (same for smith)
skull crushers
dips (in upright position)

h19
dips are great for tris cause you can really tell when you are hitting them in your movement and keep it there. never done reverse grip bench, sounds dangerous or awkward.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
incline then skullcrushers to flat bench, interesting.
Wanna make your arms look bigger while they are at your side? rule i use large groups ie. chest back quads - total 12 sets (not including warmups)
small muscle groups ie. arms shoulders calves - total 9 sets (not including warmup)

If you had a bigger back your arms would look bigger from the side.

Train large groups first them smaller groups, you tend to need more energy to lift more so prioritise this way.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
dips are great for tris cause you can really tell when you are hitting them in your movement and keep it there. never done reverse grip bench, sounds dangerous or awkward.

it'snot that easy or anything but here's a quick link to read how to do it

Muscle & Fitness UK - REVERSE GRIP BENCH PRESS

it puts most of the load on the lateral head of the tris...

then there is the "board press"..done regular style and/or reverse

h19

Stay Puft

Stay Puft

Avant Research Guru
Awards
  • Established
I found that volume worked well to get my arms to grow. **** fancy methods of curls or tricep presses I just started doing 4-6 sets EOD for both tris and Bis (during a full body workout EOD) with:

Standing barbell curls - Day 1 heavy 4-6 reps , Day 2 Lighter, 8-10 reps, repeat.
Close grip bench - same as above.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
alot of people with big arms swear by high volume. And I would concur with them. I train biceps and triceps on separate days, they both get there own day, and I will do somewhere close to 20 sets for each muscle. My arms are well over 20 inches now at 240. It's just what's always worked for me.

mymilkexpired

Awards
I'll give a quick chime in on this aswell. I train arms every other day (3 day split with W/E off) and have seen a noticable change in size both during and after working out. I fall into the volume = size category.

never2big

Awards
try training bi and tris on the same day and alternate one bicep exercise then one ticep exercise. do between 3-4exercises for each and 3-4 set per exercise
total about 9-12sets for each

and i did not see legs on your training split.your training split should look something like this

mon chest, shoulders
tues back
wed off
thurs legs
fri bis and tris
sat off
sun off

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i have to say my arms lack in size but not cuts or strength really. Id say they are very lean. I have been hitting them like this with Max OT style.

chest with 2 different exercises for tris, and two for bis.
back
cardio
abs legs
bis tris about 10 sets each
rest
rest or cardio

Im gaining already on everything from Max OT. I think its what i have been looking for all this time.

Pimp C

Awards
try not training them directly for about 2weeks. see if you get a nice rebound effect from overtraining them for so long. concentrate more on compound movements and moving heavy weight. pullups, deadlifts, bench press, etc.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
try not training them directly for about 2weeks. see if you get a nice rebound effect from overtraining them for so long. concentrate more on compound movements and moving heavy weight. pullups, deadlifts, bench press, etc.
Yeaaahhhhyyyyaaaa

shock

Awards
Definately lessen your volume. I barely hit my arms directly and when I do, I always use more compound like movements such as dips, close/reverse grip bench, heavy barbell curls, and lifts of that nature. Low volume-high intensity