Help With Bi's and Tri's - AnabolicMinds.com

Help With Bi's and Tri's

  1. New Member
    jimmbow's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    99
    Rep Power
    147

    Reputation

    Help With Bi's and Tri's


    Alright, so I've been noticing that my arms won't gain muscle towards my body(so my right arm looks really flat on the left side, and left looks flat on the right). Are there any certain workouts that will help me gain in those areas? Or will it grow with time??

  2. Registered User
    Pitbull954's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,674
    Rep Power
    964

    Reputation

    What does your workout look like?
  3. New Member
    jimmbow's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    99
    Rep Power
    147

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull954
    What does your workout look like?
    My Workout(not with specific sets)

    Mon - Tri's/Chest
    Incline Bench
    Skull Crushers
    Flat Bench
    Close Grip w/ Bench Dip Super Sets
    Decline EZ Bar Tricep Extension
    Seated Press
    Decline Bench
    Dips


    Wed - Bi's/Shoulder(Not including shoulders)
    Hammers
    EZ Bar Curl
    Concentraion Curls
    Burn-out with 21's

    Fri - Bi's/Back
    (same as Wed.)

    thats a rough outline of my arm workout days
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    NYhomeboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    395
    Rep Power
    298

    Reputation

    IMO, waaaaaaaaay too much volume. How many sets per exercise are you doing? Let's assume 3... ie: You're doing 5 primary tricep exercises on a day when you're also doing chest exercises, almost ALL of which include triceps as well. If you're doing 3 tricep sets per exercise, you're looking at 15 sets of direct tris... as well as an equal amount of hitting tris indirectly. Even if you were only doing an average of 2 sets per exercise, you're still looking at an awful lot.

    Same with biceps... You're doin bout 20ish sets a week of biceps, with only a day recovery between 2 bicep workouts.

    My bis/tris started growing when I cut them back to about 7 intense sets (8-10 reps) for bis, and 9 for tris. For cutting, I only do 6 sets of each, and neither shrink one bit. If you're trying to put on mass and want to focus on your arms, give them a day on their own, and really lower the amount of sets you do.
  5. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,790
    Rep Power
    11680

    Reputation

    21's on a weekly basis is bad when you're already working them out on seperate days that same week.
  6. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,105
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by NYhomeboy
    IMO, waaaaaaaaay too much volume. How many sets per exercise are you doing? Let's assume 3... ie: You're doing 5 primary tricep exercises on a day when you're also doing chest exercises, almost ALL of which include triceps as well. If you're doing 3 tricep sets per exercise, you're looking at 15 sets of direct tris... as well as an equal amount of hitting tris indirectly. Even if you were only doing an average of 2 sets per exercise, you're still looking at an awful lot.

    Same with biceps... You're doin bout 20ish sets a week of biceps, with only a day recovery between 2 bicep workouts.

    My bis/tris started growing when I cut them back to about 7 intense sets (8-10 reps) for bis, and 9 for tris. For cutting, I only do 6 sets of each, and neither shrink one bit. If you're trying to put on mass and want to focus on your arms, give them a day on their own, and really lower the amount of sets you do.
    what he said. I notice my arms get smaller the more volume i do.

    On my last cycle i did str8 chest days with only 3 sets of a tricep exercise, same with back and bis. That way your arms recover faster and you can do a bi tri day. I was doing chest w/ light tris, back w/light bis, rest, legs abs, bis tris. It gave me about1/2 inch on my arms.
  7. New Member
    jimmbow's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    99
    Rep Power
    147

    Reputation

    well then, whats a good routine to help my tri's grow better. I mean certain workouts that will do better than others.
  8. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,105
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    close grip bench press?
  9. The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
    hamper19's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,471
    Rep Power
    881

    Reputation

    Well I was going to say the same thing about volume..anyway


    close grip bench (using smith if no partner)
    reverse grip bench (same for smith)
    skull crushers
    dips (in upright position)

    h19
  10. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,105
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by hamper19
    Well I was going to say the same thing about volume..anyway


    close grip bench (using smith if no partner)
    reverse grip bench (same for smith)
    skull crushers
    dips (in upright position)

    h19
    dips are great for tris cause you can really tell when you are hitting them in your movement and keep it there. never done reverse grip bench, sounds dangerous or awkward.
  11. Registered User
    somewhatgifted's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,390
    Rep Power
    2335

    Reputation

    incline then skullcrushers to flat bench, interesting.
    Wanna make your arms look bigger while they are at your side? rule i use large groups ie. chest back quads - total 12 sets (not including warmups)
    small muscle groups ie. arms shoulders calves - total 9 sets (not including warmup)

    If you had a bigger back your arms would look bigger from the side.

    Train large groups first them smaller groups, you tend to need more energy to lift more so prioritise this way.
  12. The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
    hamper19's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,471
    Rep Power
    881

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by pistonpump
    dips are great for tris cause you can really tell when you are hitting them in your movement and keep it there. never done reverse grip bench, sounds dangerous or awkward.

    it'snot that easy or anything but here's a quick link to read how to do it

    Muscle & Fitness UK - REVERSE GRIP BENCH PRESS

    it puts most of the load on the lateral head of the tris...

    then there is the "board press"..done regular style and/or reverse

    h19
  13. Registered User
    somewhatgifted's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,390
    Rep Power
    2335

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by hamper19
    it'snot that easy or anything but here's a quick link to read how to do it

    Muscle & Fitness UK - REVERSE GRIP BENCH PRESS
    Ive never done this thanks for the link, ima give it a go for $hits and giggles.
  14. The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
    hamper19's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,471
    Rep Power
    881

    Reputation

    Bodybuilding.com - Curtis Schultz - Exercise Of The Week: Flat Barbell Bench Press.

    an article on BB.com talks about that and "board presses" which i said up top after i edited ...

    they are all from the DC training stuff...

    h19
  15. Avant Research Guru
    Stay Puft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Age
    30
    Posts
    444
    Rep Power
    358

    Reputation

    I found that volume worked well to get my arms to grow. **** fancy methods of curls or tricep presses I just started doing 4-6 sets EOD for both tris and Bis (during a full body workout EOD) with:

    Standing barbell curls - Day 1 heavy 4-6 reps , Day 2 Lighter, 8-10 reps, repeat.
    Close grip bench - same as above.
  16. Senior Member
    MakaveliThaDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2,781
    Rep Power
    5917

    Reputation

    alot of people with big arms swear by high volume. And I would concur with them. I train biceps and triceps on separate days, they both get there own day, and I will do somewhere close to 20 sets for each muscle. My arms are well over 20 inches now at 240. It's just what's always worked for me.
  17. Board Supporter
    mymilkexpired's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    148

    Reputation

    I'll give a quick chime in on this aswell. I train arms every other day (3 day split with W/E off) and have seen a noticable change in size both during and after working out. I fall into the volume = size category.
  18. New Member
    never2big's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    102

    Reputation

    try training bi and tris on the same day and alternate one bicep exercise then one ticep exercise. do between 3-4exercises for each and 3-4 set per exercise
    total about 9-12sets for each


    and i did not see legs on your training split.your training split should look something like this

    mon chest, shoulders
    tues back
    wed off
    thurs legs
    fri bis and tris
    sat off
    sun off
  19. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,105
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    i have to say my arms lack in size but not cuts or strength really. Id say they are very lean. I have been hitting them like this with Max OT style.

    chest with 2 different exercises for tris, and two for bis.
    back
    cardio
    abs legs
    bis tris about 10 sets each
    rest
    rest or cardio

    Im gaining already on everything from Max OT. I think its what i have been looking for all this time.
  20. New Member
    Pimp C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    226
    Rep Power
    244

    Reputation

    try not training them directly for about 2weeks. see if you get a nice rebound effect from overtraining them for so long. concentrate more on compound movements and moving heavy weight. pullups, deadlifts, bench press, etc.
  21. Registered User
    somewhatgifted's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,390
    Rep Power
    2335

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp C
    try not training them directly for about 2weeks. see if you get a nice rebound effect from overtraining them for so long. concentrate more on compound movements and moving heavy weight. pullups, deadlifts, bench press, etc.
    Yeaaahhhhyyyyaaaa
  22. New Member
    shock's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    83
    Rep Power
    149

    Reputation

    Definately lessen your volume. I barely hit my arms directly and when I do, I always use more compound like movements such as dips, close/reverse grip bench, heavy barbell curls, and lifts of that nature. Low volume-high intensity
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Superset with bi's and tri's?
    By barry2313 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-07-2012, 07:58 PM
  2. help with my igf and aas cycle construction
    By stumbras in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-07-2006, 10:02 AM
  3. Need Help with Bench, Deadlifts, and Squat ?
    By The Paper Route in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-02-2006, 10:12 PM
  4. help with lifting split and knee injury
    By bep1414 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-18-2005, 10:57 AM
  5. Help with cycle extension and protocol...
    By lifted in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-20-2004, 06:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in