Having a shake during the night

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Answers

Having a shake during the night

does anyone set their alarm to have a shake in the middle of the night? ive heard some people do this and say it helps a lot. to me that sounds like its crossing the line but if it really helped enough im sure i would do it.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Maybe but my sleep is on the low end to begin with so I am not getting up in the middle to down a shake.
  3. Gold Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk
    Maybe but my sleep is on the low end to begin with so I am not getting up in the middle to down a shake.
    I'm with ya Jay, even when I do get alot of sleep I'm WAYY to lazy to get up!!!!
    •   

4. Handsome and intelligent
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

If you wake up for a piss during bulking, think nothing of maybe having a shake if you feel it necessary, but don't set an alarm to wake you through the night for it. Uninterrupted sleep is important.
    The Driven Blog
    Follow DS on Facebook and Twitter!

Craze™ is NOW AVAILABLE!
  5. Gate Keeper
    Answers

Agree with Robboe
  6. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Most definitely if I wake up to drain the love dragon I just take some Casein and water, and eat it with half a whole grain bagel or so. I can fall back asleep pretty easy, so it's no biggie
  7. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jminis
    Agree with Robboe
    Me too.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Answers

be much easier to just have a nice prebed meal with some casein, cottage cheese, or anything along those lines. That coupled with deep restfull sleep would be better than every night making it a point to get up and down a shake.

but if your up might as well grab something or if you wake up hungry or something.. but I dont see that happening if you have a good pre bed meal.
  9. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023
    be much easier to just have a nice prebed meal with some casein, cottage cheese, or anything along those lines. That coupled with deep restfull sleep would be better than every night making it a point to get up and down a shake.

but if your up might as well grab something or if you wake up hungry or something.. but I dont see that happening if you have a good pre bed meal.

right on bro
  10. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023

This is definitely true, except right now I am on cycle and eat a very thorough whole meal pre-bed and in the morning I am so hungry it feels like I am being stabbed.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Answers

yea I was wondering about that half of a bagel in the middle of the night lol. Yea I know that feeling in the morning, not to the point of stabbing yet but sometimes Ill wake up with a growling stomach. I sorda like waking up feeling hungry, makes meal 1 easier to get down..
  12. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Oh lord..For the past few days it has been ridiculous. I wake up in the morning and I am positive I have been in a coma for three weeks because I am so hungry I almost eat my gf whole.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier
    I am so hungry I almost eat my gf whole.

dude you better start making it a point to wake your ass up and eat, and I think your gf would agree !!!
  14. Board Supporter
    Answers

I grab some oatmeal and CC during the night most nights - just whenever I happen to wake up. Throw it in the microwave, eat, and back into bed in 15 mins.

Weigh the pros and cons for your case. If you can still get an adequate night's rest then I say go for it; get to bed a bit sooner if you can to make time in the middle of the night. Four hours between meals is much better than eight IMO.
  15. board observer
    Answers

There's no way I'm setting an alarm in the middle of REM to eat. If I happen to wake up, I'll have some skim milk and light string cheese or cottage cheese.

In mullet's case though, it might be worth a try if you can't eat any more before bed and messing up your sleep doesn't bother you.
  16. Bananas
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Answers

I feel its vital to get a shake,or bar in when i get up to piss.I always have a few handfulls of unsalted peanuts too.I cant drink em with water though,thats f'in nasty.Skim milk all the way.
  17. board observer
    Answers

FWIW, I read once that lactose from milk is absorbed even slower than oats. If that's true, it would be a great carb source for before bed.
  18. Registered User
    Answers

I remember watching a talk show one night with Hilary Swank promoting the movie Million Dollar Baby--apparently she had to gain a lot of muscle fast before they started shooting. Her trainer had her get up in the middle of the night every night to guzzle a shake. I also remember she gained something like 20lbs of lean mass.

Not to say all of your bodybuiling info should come from Hollywood actresses, but I'm sure she had a pretty expensive (and knowledgable) personal trainer.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Answers

I am positive I have been in a coma for three weeks because I am so hungry I almost eat my gf whole.
    Fork, fork, fork, spoon, spoon, spoon, chunky soup.
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Answers

This is definitely true, except right now I am on cycle and eat a very thorough whole meal pre-bed and in the morning I am so hungry it feels like I am being stabbed.
    oddly enough the more i eat pre bed the hungrier i am when i wake up. you think the opposite would be true but i have gone to bed empty and hads trouble eating in the morn, maybe due to shrunk stomach?
  21. Bananas
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by auto_mail8939
    I remember watching a talk show one night with Hilary Swank promoting the movie Million Dollar Baby--apparently she had to gain a lot of muscle fast before they started shooting. Her trainer had her get up in the middle of the night every night to guzzle a shake. I also remember she gained something like 20lbs of lean mass.

Not to say all of your bodybuiling info should come from Hollywood actresses, but I'm sure she had a pretty expensive (and knowledgable) personal trainer.
    From now on i'm gonna train like Hilary swank.I knew there had to be an easier way.
  22. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by TripDog
    From now on i'm gonna train like Hilary swank.I knew there had to be an easier way.
    That's exactly the point I was trying to make.
  23. Registered User
    Answers

I have some bcaa's on my bedside table so when I get up to go to the bathroom I just swallow those with some water. Probably no help to you (I just realised this while typing) but I have noticed quite a few benefits since starting this.
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Answers

i drink a casien protien shake just right before i go to bed, its good for at least 4-6 hours when i'm sleeping
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. morning shake made the night before
    By Marc403 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-11-2011, 05:28 AM
  2. Do you wake up in the middle of the night to drink a shake?
    By rake922 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 01-26-2009, 09:01 PM
  3. Best time during the day/night to take fish oils
    By LoPips20 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-04-2008, 11:03 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-21-2004, 02:19 AM
  5. Protein etc. during the day Advice Please
    By gettin'old in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3