Too Much Protien

  1. Too Much Protien


    In my college nutrition class that all extra protein above ur daily value (under 100 grams) will turn to fat???? This is like the oposit of what I have heard from bodybuilding and what I have practiced...I always went with the 1.5 to 1.7 grams per pound of bodyweight...is this just turning to fat??


  2. The average person is going to have much different caloric needs than a bodybuilder. You will be fine as long as you are staying active and in the gym.

  3. Let me just start off by saying access calories make you fat, no matter where it comming from. Too much fat will make you fat, too much carbs will make you fat etc. For bodybuilders increased protein is needed to aid in muscle recovery. Sedentary people would need less protein since they aren't constantly tearing down muscle tissue.
    •   
       


  4. The thing to remember is that in an excess caloric environment, protein is LESS likely to be stored as fat. This doesn't mean it won't, it just means it has a greater chance of being burned or used for repair than being stored in adipose tissue.

    Factors such as those mentioned above as well as overall macro ratio are going to affect the the ultimate end point of the extra protein.

    The number given by the class is simply one based on the "average" person expending the "average" number of calories per day while sitting in their cubicle e-mailing the newest Dilbert back and forth. BBers and atheletes in general would be statistical outliers in this sort of bell curve view .

  5. Likeliness of being stored as fat:

    Saturated Fat (highest)
    Monounsaturated Fat
    Polyunsaturated Fat
    High GI Carbs
    Low GI Carbs
    Protein (lowest)

    All things being equal, would this be correct?

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Moyer
    Likeliness of being stored as fat:

    Saturated Fat (highest)
    Monounsaturated Fat
    Polyunsaturated Fat
    High GI Carbs
    Low GI Carbs
    Protein (lowest)

    All things being equal, would this be correct?
    That was discussed in this thread a while ago

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Moyer
    Likeliness of being stored as fat:

    Saturated Fat (highest)
    Monounsaturated Fat
    Polyunsaturated Fat
    High GI Carbs
    Low GI Carbs
    Protein (lowest)

    All things being equal, would this be correct?
    No.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by IRserge
    Let me just start off by saying access calories make you fat, no matter where it comming from. Too much fat will make you fat, too much carbs will make you fat etc. For bodybuilders increased protein is needed to aid in muscle recovery. Sedentary people would need less protein since they aren't constantly tearing down muscle tissue.
    From my experience, increased protein intake is a must when trying to put on some muscle. I take in over 200 grams of protein a day and I only weigh 133lbs. Never really saw any substantial body composition changes until I increased protein.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by bda55
    That was discussed in this thread a while ago
    From what I can tell, that thread only discussed which macros are first used for energy. Nothing about fat storage (unless I'm stupid today and I missed something obvious).

  10. Quote Originally Posted by mab904
    From my experience, increased protein intake is a must when trying to put on some muscle. I take in over 200 grams of protein a day and I only weigh 133lbs. Never really saw any substantial body composition changes until I increased protein.
    I am the same way...I didnt start seeing real gains till I was eating more then 400 grams a day....( At a bodyweight of 270..)

  11. 270 and at what bf? and how do u scarf down 400 gms?

  12. I'm only 180 and have like 350g on some days.. Its not that hard, just eat eat eat

  13. O/T - Moyer, is that you in your avatar?

    If so, you look awesome man, that's exactly the physique I'm aiming to achieve - what are your stats there?

  14. Quote Originally Posted by Apowerz6
    270 and at what bf? and how do u scarf down 400 gms?
    270 at 15

  15. Quote Originally Posted by GetYourWeightUp
    270 at 15
    holy ****

  16. once i started scarfing down 300+ grams of protein a day (workout days are about 350g protein) i finally began growing. lots of food i've been eating.
    i do that now at a bodyweight of 170lbs and 19 years old. Momma goes grocery shopping twice a week!



    oh yea, btw, 270 at 15% is TREMENDOUS! good job getyourweightup!

  17. I heard this too. In fact, my nutrition textbook DID talk about bodybuilders and how they don't need as much protein as say, marathon runners. a bunch of BS if you ask me... but it is backed by some scientific studies, albeit probably flawed.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. How much fat is too much?
    By conversekidz in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-16-2003, 05:00 PM
  2. Stress fractures: The downside of doing too much too soon
    By YellowJacket in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-25-2003, 09:33 PM
  3. How much protien can your body use at once?
    By T-Bar in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-20-2003, 07:26 PM
  4. More Risks of Too Much Sodium
    By YellowJacket in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-2003, 07:59 PM
  5. How much protien is too much at one time!!!
    By curt2go in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12-22-2002, 06:56 PM
Log in
Log in