Good workout routine for at home?

YaMom12

Awards
Hey, I'm 15 and im trying to build more mass, I have a nice high carb, protein, and fat diet, the only thing I have a problem with is the actual training. I don't have enough for a gym membership and little equipment. I got a weighted vest from a friend that goes up to 40 Lbs and two dumbells that go up to 30 Lbs. I tried the sore in six minutes routine by athlean x and I feel like it's not enough. Im still looking for a high intense training, I just want someone's opinion. I also have school and other things to do throughout the day so that's another reason for the high intensity to lessen the time. If someone could also enlighten me on hypertrophy because since I don't have alot of weight, Im worried I won't achieve enough to get the hypertrophy effect. Thanks.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you have access to the gym at your school? If not, what weights do you have? You can look into body weight routines as well as super sets, perfect form, negative reps, drop sets...etc. Sure it’s not ideal, but if that’s what you have to work with, make the most of it.

Viatrophy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Hey man, when I was your age I didn't have any level of dedication or follow-through. However, I maintained respectable mass, abs, and athleticism by doing a really simple workout routine: Pushups.

Hear me out. I did 25 normal push ups, 25 diamond push ups, and 25 wide arm push ups. Then took a breather. Then 20, 20, 20. Then 15, 15, 15, Then 10, 10, 10. Then 5's.

See I'd been sent to military school for about 6 months when I was 14 and I knew the power of the push up for my physique.

I'd curl and stuff here and there, too. Barely! But these days, I bench 3 plate and I still work in a "pushup day" at least once a month, and I still get sore in new places that I never get sore otherwise.

Look, if you want to get super serious, you're gonna need a gym. But you're asking for "next best thing," right? It's pushups. Tons of 'em. You can leave those 30's in the closet or do a few standing rows and curls with them on your off days.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Your school or high school should have a gym? Planet fitness has a 99 dollar per year deal they never advertise.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Pushups and Pullups are always a good start. With 30lb dumbbells you should also be able to do pretty good shoulder and arm workouts too, you really don’t need heavier than that if you have good form and eventually superset some exercises when they get a little light for some shoulder presses and whatnot. I sometimes do shoulder and arm workouts with no more than 30lb dumbbells, and I can do reps with the 100s for dumbbell inclines, so you don’t need a ton of weight for shoulders and arms.

For pushups, you can do normal ones, close grip/diamond ones, ones with your hands close grip on a medicine ball, clap pushups, moving a medicine ball from one hand to another, elevated feet pushups, etc.

For Pullups you have normal ovedhand, wide overhand, chin-ups (underhand), etc.

For legs you can do lunges with your dumbbells and/or weight vest. Or squats, etc.

You can always buy a cheap bench if you have room, which will let you do Flyes and presses for chest, as well as give you a place to do split squats too.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Hey bro, man I wish I’d got into fitness at 15. Awesome that you sound serious about it at that age bro.

Your body will be primed for building muscle right now and plenty of studies have shown that total weight moved (I.e lots of reps at lower weight) and time under tension will produce growth.

Use the weight vest and hold the dumbbells to so paused squats, lunges, split squats, sissy squats and Romanian deadlifts. Focus on form and try to feel the muscle working, use a slower eccentric than concentric.

As above press ups and pull ups will be more than enough for upper body, use difference hand positioning/grips to target slightly different areas. Shoulders and arms you can easy do with the dumbbells. Go to failure on your last set or two.

Good luck man

Glow

Awards
I think you need to enroll in a community gym around where you live. The equipment you are using is not enough and I don't think they will help you reach your goals. Weight lifting require that you progress from one level to another. Lifting the same weight throughout the year will not add value to your body. This is why I am suggesting that you join a community gym where you will get exposed to different weights. Now you also mentioned that you do not have enough time. This is a big challenge. I think you must try to create time out of your busy schedule so that you can build more mass. Also, I would advise that you watch what you eat. More protein that should be eaten in 5-6 meals. You also need about 3000 calories to help your r muscles to bulk.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pull-ups are very under rated IMO. you can get a pull up bar and use it at your house. Various grips, super sets with those grips, rest pause...etc

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am glad to see you started off you post with your nutrition info because 75% of your progress will boiling done to your nutrition. So please study this aspect and be consistent with this. Now as for training if you devise a program and stick with it you can and will grow with the equipment you have. Find a place in your home you can do Pull-ups and Chin-ups (Back, Bi's & Forearms) Push-ups (Chest, Tri's and Shoulders) Squats (Legs) I would do 3 sets of 20 for each exercise, when you reach this number add weight to the movement, your vest will work great for this, you can than add in the dumb bells when the vest is not enough. When I was in high school I was in the same situation as you, my high school had a old dirty weight room that only the "School Athletes" where allowed to use, I approached the football couch explained my situation and he agreed to let me train with the football team. (Just an idea) I would also watch Craigs List sometime you can find Used Weight Equipment really cheap. Last but not least ask ever person you know if they have any "Old Used Excersice Equipment" they would like to get rid of, you may just find some "older person" who would love to get some old crap out of there basement.

Where Are You Located ???

Glow

Awards
Hypertrophy results from the fact that cells enlarge. Note that it has nothing to do with increasing the number of cells but has everything to do with enlarging the existing cells. So the question we need to ask ourselves is what we should do to help increase the size of the cells that we already have. The secrete lies in choosing the right training regimen. Subjecting your muscles to stress repeatedly helps the tissues to enlarge to enable them accommodate a new or a higher load. But you need the right tools. You have mentioned that you only have a weighted vest that is about 40lbs and dumbbells weighing about 30 lbs. They are certainly not adequate but they can still help you. Also, I was of the idea that you try to improvise. You can use push ups to try and increase the weight supported by your hand muscles. Also, adopt exercises that target your thigh muscles. This should keep you going until you are through with schooling. Once you secure a job, you should be able to pay for the gym and enjoy working out.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
In the 80's a gym member ship was $20.00 a month, I quit buying soda and bought a gym member ship, Now days you can joint Planet Fitness for $10.00 a month, that should be easy to save if you really want to go to the gym.

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Hey, I'm 15 and im trying to build more mass, I have a nice high carb, protein, and fat diet, the only thing I have a problem with is the actual training. I don't have enough for a gym membership and little equipment. I got a weighted vest from a friend that goes up to 40 Lbs and two dumbells that go up to 30 Lbs. I tried the sore in six minutes routine by athlean x and I feel like it's not enough. Im still looking for a high intense training, I just want someone's opinion. I also have school and other things to do throughout the day so that's another reason for the high intensity to lessen the time. If someone could also enlighten me on hypertrophy because since I don't have alot of weight, Im worried I won't achieve enough to get the hypertrophy effect. Thanks.
I think you're making the common mistake of thinking "intensity" means "working really hard", when intensity is actually a measure of workload (i.e percentage of a rep max). So doing 3 reps and being unable to do another one is what is actually high intensity, whilst doing 3 sets of 12 bench press superset with 3 sets of 8 of dumbell rows then 3 drop sets of cable flies, etc. etc. is actually not high intensity, even though the infomercials and uneducated personal trainers describe it as that, but is actually fairly low intensity.

High intensity training doesn't actually save time either, usually the opposite because high intensity sets take a long time to rest between, upwards of 3 or 5 minutes is not uncommon. Lower intensity (like the typical 8-12 rep range) and you can be good to go again in 30-60 seconds.

To answer your question, focus on pullups, chinups and dips with the weighted vest as that's going to be the primary movers in terms of building up any real mass. Lower reps with more weight will do more than cranking out sets of 10+. Tu and progressively increase the weight you use.