Bulking with a physical job?

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Over the last 3 weeks i have been trying to keep myself in a surplus.

Stats.

5ft9
Weight = 154 pounds
Bodyfat 10ish%

I have been consuming

3500 calories daily
482g Carbs
175g Protein
97g Fat

I work 5-6 days per week and cycle to and from work 2x per day and this total's 10 mile per day. My work im very active and usually see 10000+ steps per shift so 20000+ steps on my double shifts.

I train 5 x per week for around 60 mins per session.

With the 3500 calories ive been dropping weight?

Anyone give some advice on what to increase? Just bump my carbs? Would 4000 calories be worth trying for a couple weeks? Just to see if i can get my weight to climb? I am still hungry on 3500 calories so im sure im still in a deficit.

Thanks

Doz

Doz

Awards
bump ur calories to 4k increase your protein a bit and maybe add some fats, ur carbs imo are enough if not too much.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Over the last 3 weeks i have been trying to keep myself in a surplus.

Stats.

5ft9
Weight = 154 pounds
Bodyfat 10ish%

I have been consuming

3500 calories daily
482g Carbs
175g Protein
97g Fat

I work 5-6 days per week and cycle to and from work 2x per day and this total's 10 mile per day. My work im very active and usually see 10000+ steps per shift so 20000+ steps on my double shifts.

I train 5 x per week for around 60 mins per session.

With the 3500 calories ive been dropping weight?

Anyone give some advice on what to increase? Just bump my carbs? Would 4000 calories be worth trying for a couple weeks? Just to see if i can get my weight to climb? I am still hungry on 3500 calories so im sure im still in a deficit.

Thanks
I would definetly up your calories. And I would up calories from Protien and fats, maybe drop the carbs down just a bit. Try 4000 calories at a 50P/30F/20C for a bit and see how that treats you. And then if need be you can up the calories even more. With working out 5 days a week, and biking 10 miles a day, and walking 10K+ steps a day. Your definetly in a deficit right now.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Agree you obviously need more Cals and yeah I’d push protein up. Macro split between carbs and fats is less important in your situation as you’ll be burning the carbs you consume so low chance of adding fat.

I’d drink more calories as bigger meals might sit on your stomach being that active. Protein powder in whole milk, with some pb in there probably my best suggestion....

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You ride a bike to work, or motorcycle? If you ride a bike, you may want to use a vehicle to conserve energy. Other than that advice, you will need to up your calories if you are losing weight. If you are not getting good sleep, you could be catabolic. If your stressed right now, you could be catabolic. Vitamin C and Cissus can lower cortisol, and help stress levels. Take magnesisum if you do not. Consume a lot of sodium if you do not already.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Agree you obviously need more Cals and yeah I’d push protein up. Macro split between carbs and fats is less important in your situation as you’ll be burning the carbs you consume so low chance of adding fat.

I’d drink more calories as bigger meals might sit on your stomach being that active. Protein powder in whole milk, with some pb in there probably my best suggestion....
Good call. I just gave him a basic macro split to make sure he gets enough protein. As you said carbs and fat in his case doesnt really matter.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You’re over the 1g/lb of body weight with protein. I wouldn’t add more protein but add carbs and bump the fats higher as well (~10g +/- 2g).

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
An easy way to get in more calories is simply drinking whole milk. I meal prep my food for the week on Sunday’s. When that food runs out my wife usually cooks a dish that will last me the final couple of days left of the week.

CultiVader

CultiVader

Awards
I feel your pain. I walk about 10mi per day at work in 14 hour shifts, 5 days a week. Makes dieting real hard. Can’t bring meals to work either. I haven’t figured out how to stay in surplus yet since I burn a ton of cals each day. Real pain in the A.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Homemade weight gainers are great. Once or twice a day. Liquid calories are the easiest.

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
An easy way to get in more calories is simply drinking whole milk.
One of the best, most underutilised tips for bulking, providing you don't have any issues digesting it.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OP, hows it going? Need any help with anything?

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
OP, hows it going? Need any help with anything?
Im up to around 158 pounds now.. 4000+ calories. So works out about 2 pound a month? So i think this is my sweet spot. I would say im still as lean as i was so most that gain should be mostly mass. I have also dropped my training down and added an extra rest day. My CNS was feeling fried for a few weeks.

Hows your training going?

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Im up to around 158 pounds now.. 4000+ calories. So works out about 2 pound a month? So i think this is my sweet spot. I would say im still as lean as i was so most that gain should be mostly mass. I have also dropped my training down and added an extra rest day. My CNS was feeling fried for a few weeks.

Hows your training going?
That’s great man!!!!