Should I bulk or cut?

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Straight forward. Also since I saw a few other posts similar to this, what’s my bf% just from eyeballing? Should be fun.
IMG_1174.JPG

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
As you were previously a heavier individual I would recommend against bulking. You should fill out nicely just keeping calories around maintenance and eating a lot of protein (beef) for another year

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Agree with Alex in exception of ‘beef’. For me any complete source of protein is good to go.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Straight forward. Also since I saw a few other posts similar to this, what’s my bf% just from eyeballing? Should be fun. View attachment 169301
First off, congrats on the weight loss.

It looks like you are in a similar position I was in when I first began. I would eat in a small surplus, which technically would be considered bulking, and find a solid lifting program such as 5x5. Think about it this way, if you cut as you currently are, you are only going to be skin and bone. Cutting is something done to show underlying muscle. No offence, but you do not have a lot of muscle to show for. Focus on a small surplus, gain some strength, and make sure you're following a structured nutrition and training program.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Keep going with the loss.....never understood why people want to cut then go back and bulk......

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Keep going with the loss.....never understood why people want to cut then go back and bulk......
that's easy to answer. We cut to get shredded then realize we want to be bigger. I've done that. Cut from 242 to 168 and realized I was way too small. let myself bulk a bit to 198. felt good, but through a change in programming and learning nutrition actually ended up staying between 178-182 for years. Now I'm doing whatever I can to clean bulk, not so much for size but for strength gains and to 'mix it up'. I'm not going to get on stage to compete in bb or physique, I just want to look good, be healthy, and see how strong I can get.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Straight forward. Also since I saw a few other posts similar to this, what’s my bf% just from eyeballing? Should be fun. View attachment 169301
I don't know your history but it looks like you developed some some serious progress, you can see it in things like your arms and shoulders especially. If you're tracking macros/calories and you know what your 'maintenance' is, I'd try staying there for a while and just lift like a mofo to fill out. As someone else mentioned, you got a great point here to build strength and develop go with that and eat healthy for fuel, don't try to gain 20lbs like a mad man. lift hard, eat to recover. My guess is you'll find the right nutritional balance to favor muscle development that may end up burning a little more bf but will make you look leaner even if you stay at the same bf just as you fill out and continue to grow.

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don't know your history but it looks like you developed some some serious progress, you can see it in things like your arms and shoulders especially. If you're tracking macros/calories and you know what your 'maintenance' is, I'd try staying there for a while and just lift like a mofo to fill out. As someone else mentioned, you got a great point here to build strength and develop go with that and eat healthy for fuel, don't try to gain 20lbs like a mad man. lift hard, eat to recover. My guess is you'll find the right nutritional balance to favor muscle development that may end up burning a little more bf but will make you look leaner even if you stay at the same bf just as you fill out and continue to grow.
Thanks man! I’ve been horribly overweight and underweight for different periods of my life. I’ve been trying to make progress but I’m all honesty, I hate to bulk most times because I don’t want to get fat again, and I hate cutting because I’m always worried I’ll get too skinny again! I’m starting to overcome that. My “maintenance” is around 2,300-2,500 calories, I’m still working out the details although even on my cut I’ve seen lifts go up which is odd to me, but it’s probably just how my body feels eating a much cleaner diet. I actually hit a DL PR a few weeks ago on 1,600 calories which is nuts to me but hell I’ll take it lol. Right now I’m usually eating about 2,800 calories on the days I workout and I include supersets and triple sets, drop sets, and so on every day and HIIT cardio on days I feel like I want to eat more. Playing around with different supps and eating small foods (no more than 375 cal) during my workout have given interesting results. I pulled my left trap today pretty badly and I’m hoping to be in the gym tomorrow, but if not I’ll add pics next time I am. My goal right now is just to stay around maintenance/lean bulk since my diet fluctuates a little bit. As long as my PRs keep going up I’m happy.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Thanks man! I’ve been horribly overweight and underweight for different periods of my life. I’ve been trying to make progress but I’m all honesty, I hate to bulk most times because I don’t want to get fat again, and I hate cutting because I’m always worried I’ll get too skinny again! I’m starting to overcome that. My “maintenance” is around 2,300-2,500 calories, I’m still working out the details although even on my cut I’ve seen lifts go up which is odd to me, but it’s probably just how my body feels eating a much cleaner diet. I actually hit a DL PR a few weeks ago on 1,600 calories which is nuts to me but hell I’ll take it lol. Right now I’m usually eating about 2,800 calories on the days I workout and I include supersets and triple sets, drop sets, and so on every day and HIIT cardio on days I feel like I want to eat more. Playing around with different supps and eating small foods (no more than 375 cal) during my workout have given interesting results. I pulled my left trap today pretty badly and I’m hoping to be in the gym tomorrow, but if not I’ll add pics next time I am. My goal right now is just to stay around maintenance/lean bulk since my diet fluctuates a little bit. As long as my PRs keep going up I’m happy.
Do you have a training log, and do you know for sure what your macros are? I saw another thread where you mentioned getting on a test cycle. I'll admit, I'm not for that unless a person has a legit medical purpose for it, but if you're going to do it don't waste your time and money unless you have your training / programming zero'd in and you know what your goals are 100%. You got a great foundation here and you could still build a LOT naturally.

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Do you have a training log, and do you know for sure what your macros are? I saw another thread where you mentioned getting on a test cycle. I'll admit, I'm not for that unless a person has a legit medical purpose for it, but if you're going to do it don't waste your time and money unless you have your training / programming zero'd in and you know what your goals are 100%. You got a great foundation here and you could still build a LOT naturally.
I do and yes, I keep a very close eye on my macros. I log literally everything I eat lol. My test levels aren’t the best to start with unfortunately which is my main reason to start, but I’ve actually decided to wait on the test. I feel there’s other less suppressive options that may work better for me at this time. Plus I need HCG for my cycle, I refuse to go on without it. All in all though I’m holding off for a bit.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I do and yes, I keep a very close eye on my macros. I log literally everything I eat lol. My test levels aren’t the best to start with unfortunately which is my main reason to start, but I’ve actually decided to wait on the test. I feel there’s other less suppressive options that may work better for me at this time. Plus I need HCG for my cycle, I refuse to go on without it. All in all though I’m holding off for a bit.
Nothing about your current physique screams weak, or needs pharmaceutical work, to me. You have good structure and good development already started in the arms, shoulders, and traps. You have the beginning of that coveted "sexy v" that I seem to only really get under like 8% while my brother holds it at 18-20%. I think wise nutrition and a great strength + Hypertrophy program is going to fill out what you still want incredibly.

eat to refuel and build muscle, but not excessive fats like you're dirty bulking. eat like an athlete and lift hard, sleep 8hrs, don't over train your CNS and enjoy life and I think youre going to be really happy with the results even natural.

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Nothing about your current physique screams weak, or needs pharmaceutical work, to me. You have good structure and good development already started in the arms, shoulders, and traps. You have the beginning of that coveted "sexy v" that I seem to only really get under like 8% while my brother holds it at 18-20%. I think wise nutrition and a great strength + Hypertrophy program is going to fill out what you still want incredibly.

eat to refuel and build muscle, but not excessive fats like you're dirty bulking. eat like an athlete and lift hard, sleep 8hrs, don't over train your CNS and enjoy life and I think youre going to be really happy with the results even natural.
My test levels fluctuate, highest they’ve been is 475ng/dL but my growth hormone is high from what my doctor has said. I’ve ran Ostarine and loved the way it made me feel but I’m not sure it was worth it, I feel like a lot of the strength gained was just from eating a hefty surplus and heavy training. The mood swings during pct were ridiculous lol. I’m currently taking 4 andro and 1 andro buuuuuut it’s only day two and I feel terrible. I think the dose is too low to convert to an effective test base for the 1-AD. So I am pretty sure that I’ve inadvertently lowered my test levels for no reason so I might jump off. Honestly I’ve had mixed results in training but a lot of sides I’ve gotten from these “otc anabolics” have me feeling like trash. I should probably stay natural haha.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
My test levels fluctuate, highest they’ve been is 475ng/dL but my growth hormone is high from what my doctor has said. I’ve ran Ostarine and loved the way it made me feel but I’m not sure it was worth it, I feel like a lot of the strength gained was just from eating a hefty surplus and heavy training. The mood swings during pct were ridiculous lol. I’m currently taking 4 andro and 1 andro buuuuuut it’s only day two and I feel terrible. I think the dose is too low to convert to an effective test base for the 1-AD. So I am pretty sure that I’ve inadvertently lowered my test levels for no reason so I might jump off. Honestly I’ve had mixed results in training but a lot of sides I’ve gotten from these “otc anabolics” have me feeling like trash. I should probably stay natural haha.
send me a link to your training log, would be interesting to see your split and how things are going.

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
send me a link to your training log, would be interesting to see your split and how things are going.
I’ll actually just post today’s. It’s mainly light due to my injury but it’s what I got haha.

Dumbbell front raises/15lbs/100 reps
Rear delt dumbbell raises 20lbs, 20/20/20
Side raises, 20lbs, 20/20/20 superset with front raises, 25lbs, 25reps
Preacher machine curls, alternating arms, 30lbs, 20/20/20/20 raise to 40lbs 12/12/12/12
Dumbbell skull crushers 15lbs 30/25/20/15/25
Superset each set with alternating hammer curls 35lbs 20/20/20/20
Dumbbell front raises 30lbs til failure
Superset with rear delt raises 20lbs til failure
Barbell skull crushers 40lbs 25/20/20/15
Superset with drag curls 40lbs 35/30/30/20
Then I do a bit of forearms and I’ll probably do some abs before I leave.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I’ll actually just post today’s. It’s mainly light due to my injury but it’s what I got haha.

Dumbbell front raises/15lbs/100 reps
Rear delt dumbbell raises 20lbs, 20/20/20
Side raises, 20lbs, 20/20/20 superset with front raises, 25lbs, 25reps
Preacher machine curls, alternating arms, 30lbs, 20/20/20/20 raise to 40lbs 12/12/12/12
Dumbbell skull crushers 15lbs 30/25/20/15/25
Superset each set with alternating hammer curls 35lbs 20/20/20/20
Dumbbell front raises 30lbs til failure
Superset with rear delt raises 20lbs til failure
Barbell skull crushers 40lbs 25/20/20/15
Superset with drag curls 40lbs 35/30/30/20
Then I do a bit of forearms and I’ll probably do some abs before I leave.
You might get more results starting with a compound lift for strength and power, then adding the isolation movements after for accessory work. You can get tremendous physique response from buildings strength and power, then isolate certain areas as a compliment.

The sets/reps you're doing are all super super high and may not give you the bulking results you want. What's your history of lifting? like how many years and what have been your core focuses?

I think if you start with a basic program built around squat/press/deadlift, then add the appropriate accessories to each of those you'll get the results you're looking for.

aim for a 3x5 on each. Squat day, find your 5 rep max. 3 sets of it. next time you're on squat day, go up 5lbs and do 3x5 again. etc.
after your 3x5 add the relevant leg and/or posterior work. hamstrings, calves if you want etc.

on your deadlift day, add pullups/chinups, and bicep curls if they are important to you.

On my squat day I'll do something like this:
3x5 back squat then:
heavy front squats
then I'll program myself an accessory wod that hits everything and gives me the fat burning HIIT results like:

500m row
20 x walking db lunges (heavy)
12 x goblet squats (heavy)
8 burpees
5 rounds, timed, so you maintain a strong pace and keep the HIIT aspects.

then on a bench day I might do:

3x5 bench, adding 5lbs each week
followed by 3x8 heavy weighted dips which is going to get your triceps like crazy, lower pecks,shoulders
then if I do a wod it might be something like:

50 double unders (jump rope)
18 pushups
12 x kettlebell snatch
9 x dips (ideally weighted, maybe +25lbs or something if my working set was 100)
6 wallballs
again, like 5 rounds for time.

anyways, I might be telling you stuff you already know but look at it like this, there's a point of diminishing returns on low weight high reps. it's like the old analogy of the marathon runner vs the sprinter. your work out today reminds me of a marathon runner. You did a LOT of work, but I'm not sure it's the type of work that's going to fill you out like you want. the sprinter is doing HARD work, but in shorter bursts and building a frame that looks like it.

sorry if I'm giving too much unsolicited advice. that's just my experience and thoughts on it. I don't know what your specific injury is but I'd highly recommend starting any lifting regiment at all with the compound lifts being the central focus point. (squat, deadlift, press, followed by clean and jerk and snatch if you're interested in OLY).

FINAL.png

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You might get more results starting with a compound lift for strength and power, then adding the isolation movements after for accessory work. You can get tremendous physique response from buildings strength and power, then isolate certain areas as a compliment.

The sets/reps you're doing are all super super high and may not give you the bulking results you want. What's your history of lifting? like how many years and what have been your core focuses?

I think if you start with a basic program built around squat/press/deadlift, then add the appropriate accessories to each of those you'll get the results you're looking for.

aim for a 3x5 on each. Squat day, find your 5 rep max. 3 sets of it. next time you're on squat day, go up 5lbs and do 3x5 again. etc.
after your 3x5 add the relevant leg and/or posterior work. hamstrings, calves if you want etc.

on your deadlift day, add pullups/chinups, and bicep curls if they are important to you.

On my squat day I'll do something like this:
3x5 back squat then:
heavy front squats
then I'll program myself an accessory wod that hits everything and gives me the fat burning HIIT results like:

500m row
20 x walking db lunges (heavy)
12 x goblet squats (heavy)
8 burpees
5 rounds, timed, so you maintain a strong pace and keep the HIIT aspects.

then on a bench day I might do:

3x5 bench, adding 5lbs each week
followed by 3x8 heavy weighted dips which is going to get your triceps like crazy, lower pecks,shoulders
then if I do a wod it might be something like:

50 double unders (jump rope)
18 pushups
12 x kettlebell snatch
9 x dips (ideally weighted, maybe +25lbs or something if my working set was 100)
6 wallballs
again, like 5 rounds for time.

anyways, I might be telling you stuff you already know but look at it like this, there's a point of diminishing returns on low weight high reps. it's like the old analogy of the marathon runner vs the sprinter. your work out today reminds me of a marathon runner. You did a LOT of work, but I'm not sure it's the type of work that's going to fill you out like you want. the sprinter is doing HARD work, but in shorter bursts and building a frame that looks like it.

sorry if I'm giving too much unsolicited advice. that's just my experience and thoughts on it. I don't know what your specific injury is but I'd highly recommend starting any lifting regiment at all with the compound lifts being the central focus point. (squat, deadlift, press, followed by clean and jerk and snatch if you're interested in OLY).

View attachment 169792
Normally I’m really into compound movements but since I hurt my neck and my traps yesterday I can’t get into them. My favorite exercise is actually bent over barbell rows and incline dumbbell bench. I’m not a huge fan of doing things to the extent that I did them today or at least in that manor but since I didn’t do cardio I incorporated a lot of supersets and a triple set once I think. I was going to rest today but I felt like I needed to stretch out a little bit.
Deadlift is probably my favorite of the three main lifts and is also my best. Usually like on a back day I’ll do bent over rows, three sets of low rows with a neutral grip, under and then over grip. Lat pulldowns superset with tricep pulldowns, alternating lat pulls on a cybex or whatever it’s called superset with flies (alternating decline, incline and mid chest), dumbbell rows, and I mix it up a bit and throw in some other stuff just to help keep my routine fresh and help move growth along. I always end back days in deadlifts, one day is heavy and the other is moderate and light weight and I’ll incorporate dropsets on that day.
I did some extra leg extensions and leg curls as well as 100 weighted crunches before I left today. I alternate days on which I do abs.

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Also, I always appreciate any advice given! I always find there’s something new to learn.

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
IMG_1191.JPG
IMG_1192.JPG

This is post pump lol was doing legs at this point but this is where I’m at currently!

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Just as an aside, please stop doing front delt work. People don't need to do it if they are pressing at any angle and you're always better off using the energy for rear and side delts

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Normally I’m really into compound movements but since I hurt my neck and my traps yesterday I can’t get into them. My favorite exercise is actually bent over barbell rows and incline dumbbell bench. I’m not a huge fan of doing things to the extent that I did them today or at least in that manor but since I didn’t do cardio I incorporated a lot of supersets and a triple set once I think. I was going to rest today but I felt like I needed to stretch out a little bit.
Deadlift is probably my favorite of the three main lifts and is also my best. Usually like on a back day I’ll do bent over rows, three sets of low rows with a neutral grip, under and then over grip. Lat pulldowns superset with tricep pulldowns, alternating lat pulls on a cybex or whatever it’s called superset with flies (alternating decline, incline and mid chest), dumbbell rows, and I mix it up a bit and throw in some other stuff just to help keep my routine fresh and help move growth along. I always end back days in deadlifts, one day is heavy and the other is moderate and light weight and I’ll incorporate dropsets on that day.
I did some extra leg extensions and leg curls as well as 100 weighted crunches before I left today. I alternate days on which I do abs.
ah yeah, tight neck is the worst. I don't get it frequently but I've felt like I strained it a few times even just doing a clean or a squat wonky and the next day my neck feels stiff as if I choked on viagra (ha). I get that!

Looks like we enjoy a lot of the same stuff. I wouldn't make a ton of changes except personally I prefer to start my lift with my heavy compound (so I'd start the day with the deadlift, rather than put it in the middle of a back day) so that my full energy is dedicated to the heaviest part of my workout, then I follow up with accessory work, typically.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
This is post pump lol was doing legs at this point but this is where I’m at currently!
yeah your triceps and traps are definitely going to explode they already stand out. I think if you stick with a good power based routine and solid nutrition you will be blown away with the results naturally. Go heavy and refuel for muscle development.

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
yeah your triceps and traps are definitely going to explode they already stand out. I think if you stick with a good power based routine and solid nutrition you will be blown away with the results naturally. Go heavy and refuel for muscle development.
I think you’re right. I have test and sarms stocked up but as much as we would all like to see quick results, it’s not time for me to use them if at all. I’ve stopped taking the PHs I was on mainly because they made me feel terrible and my workouts seemed dull on them. I’m kicking myself in the ass a lot right now because I can’t lift heavy, I’m mainly stuck just doing arms, some legs and abs but it’s better than doing nothing.
Right now I’m aiming for a kind of carb cycle approach, with one to two days out of the week having my carbs high and then moderate for the rest of the week. I never really get a lot of fats in, just enough.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
that's easy to answer. We cut to get shredded then realize we want to be bigger. I've done that. Cut from 242 to 168 and realized I was way too small. let myself bulk a bit to 198. felt good, but through a change in programming and learning nutrition actually ended up staying between 178-182 for years. Now I'm doing whatever I can to clean bulk, not so much for size but for strength gains and to 'mix it up'. I'm not going to get on stage to compete in bb or physique, I just want to look good, be healthy, and see how strong I can get.
I get that but when one bulks back up it is harder to shred back down. You actually wind up increasing fat cells......

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I get that but when one bulks back up it is harder to shred back down. You actually wind up increasing fat cells......
This is way too broad a statement. There are so many arguments and counterarguments here. What about metabolic adaption? What about an increased metabolism due to increase muscle mass from a clean bulk? What about clean bulks vs dirty bulks? I don't see how suggesting that someone gaining weight makes it harder for them to cut is based upon any solid footing here. No offense, but I don't see your angle. It's pretty commonly accepted that certain body fat levels are really only attainable for a few days or weeks anyways.