Do you sacrifice all potential muscle gains from a workout if sleep is limited?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Do you sacrifice all potential muscle gains from a workout if sleep is limited?

Sometimes, due to my work/school schedule and from general anxiety issues, I'll only get maybe 2-3 hours of sleep on certain nights if I'm lucky, and sometimes these borderline "no sleep" stretches will last for two days (which was the case for me this past Friday and Saturday nights). I maybe slept for 3 hours on Friday night and no more than 2 hours on Saturday night. My most recent gym workout was Friday afternoon.

My question is, when someone isn't able to get more than a few hours of sleep over the course of 1-2 days following a workout, are they basically sacrificing all the potential muscle/strength gains they could've yielded from the workout? Or does the person's body play "catch-up" as soon as they're able to regularly get a full night's sleep again?

Thanks

2. Well, you definatelly won't loose all gains but it sure will hurt.
    •   

3. I always get from 3-5 hours per night. Not because I have other stuff going on, but because that's just how my body is. I don't think I sacrificed any muscle cause of it. At 45, I'm pretty ripped and fit in my high school jeans

4. Quote Originally Posted by SpicedCider View Post
    Sometimes, due to my work/school schedule and from general anxiety issues, I'll only get maybe 2-3 hours of sleep on certain nights if I'm lucky, and sometimes these borderline "no sleep" stretches will last for two days (which was the case for me this past Friday and Saturday nights). I maybe slept for 3 hours on Friday night and no more than 2 hours on Saturday night. My most recent gym workout was Friday afternoon.

My question is, when someone isn't able to get more than a few hours of sleep over the course of 1-2 days following a workout, are they basically sacrificing all the potential muscle/strength gains they could've yielded from the workout? Or does the person's body play "catch-up" as soon as they're able to regularly get a full night's sleep again?

Thanks
    Research implies we never catch up on lost sleep. Say you pull an all-nighter and lose 8 hours of sleep. For a moment, forget about the physiological damage at play and focus on this "sleep debt' you have accrued. In the following nights, unless you sleep 16 hours, you will not make up for that lost time. Even if you stretch it across several days, you would need to sleep 10+ hours a night and consistently sleep 7 hrs a night thereafter to prevent yourself from accruing more sleep debt. Can't happen without extreme intervention.

From the moment your eyes open for the day, adenosine levels start to rise. This is your brains signal that it's time to go to sleep. It's at around your bed time that it peaks, telling you, "no more. Time for sleep". When you go to sleep, adenosine levels decline with a baseline as it's goal. Depriving yourself of the proper amount of sleep-time (7 hrs on average), does not allow those levels to return to baseline. You are putting yourself in a viscous cycle of sleep-debt that you cannot pay off.

It is when you are in your non-REM and REM states that you make these neural connections that create memories. How is your short term memory? Do you find it difficult to remember simple things? If so, it is because you haven't yet made those neural connections, storing them in your long term memory. Your short-term cache of memories are over written if those neural connections are not made. You can only store so much in your cache of memories before something has to give. These connections can sometimes days or weeks. It's the repetition of sleep that allow your brain to make these neural connections, creating a more vivid memory.

Motor function falls within these windows as well. Yes, you are not allowing yourself on many levels to fully recover - brain, body, and mind. Find a way to improve your sleep. We know so much about the role sleep plays in our lives now. It is THE BEST WORKOUT you can do for yourself.
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www.millenniumsport.net
    (50% off code "SEP50")

5. Well, considering your body's GH is released during sleep at different points, the poorer your quality of sleep, the less that you can milk from your workouts. Catching up on sleep isn't a real thing, it simply gets diluted and averages out. You could think of it like a "cheat day" where having one piece of cheesecake isn't going to derail your long-term efforts, even if it does affect you slightly at the time.
    •   

6. Anyone reading this have any experience with DSIP (delta sleep inducing peptide)?

7. Quote Originally Posted by Outofbody View Post
    Anyone reading this have any experience with DSIP (delta sleep inducing peptide)?
    Looks like a good way to paralyze chronic sleep walkers.
    www.millenniumsport.net
    (50% off code "SEP50")

8. Quote Originally Posted by MySTeek View Post
    Looks like a good way to paralyze chronic sleep walkers.
    Definitely. I'm looking at it to treat chronic insomnia. It also has the ability to regulate endocrine functions, which is very interesting:

Roles in endocrine regulation

- Decreases basal corticotropin level and blocks its release.[8]
    - Stimulates release of luteinizing hormone (LH).[15]
    - Stimulates release of somatoliberin and somatotrophin secretion and inhibits somatostatin secretion.[16]

9. Quote Originally Posted by Outofbody View Post
    Definitely. I'm looking at it to treat chronic insomnia. It also has the ability to regulate endocrine functions, which is very interesting:

Roles in endocrine regulation

- Decreases basal corticotropin level and blocks its release.[8]
    - Stimulates release of luteinizing hormone (LH).[15]
    - Stimulates release of somatoliberin and somatotrophin secretion and inhibits somatostatin secretion.[16]
    Hope you run a log. Is it OTC or prescribed?
    www.millenniumsport.net
    (50% off code "SEP50")

10. Quote Originally Posted by MySTeek View Post
    Hope you run a log. Is it OTC or prescribed?
    Neither. It's a research peptide to be taken via injection. I'm a bit nervous to try it though, I want to wake up lol. I'm sure it's safe though.

edit: it's available as a research peptide but it actually does look like it's used clinically as well

11. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_...ducing_peptide

It actually looks like something that can benefit me in multiple ways. Just convinced myself to try it. Once I order some in, I'll start up a log on here and tag you.

Safety and possible side-effects of long-term DSIP use haven't been established in clinical research studies.
    For this reason above, I will limit it to a 2-3 month trial to help treat on-cycle insomnia.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Outofbody View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_...ducing_peptide

It actually looks like something that can benefit me in multiple ways. Just convinced myself to try it. Once I order some in, I'll start up a log on here and tag you.
    Be safe, fellow astral traveler. I'll definitely follow along, should you decide to do it.
    www.millenniumsport.net
    (50% off code "SEP50")

13. You should really try a cortisol controller such as Reduce XT - it helps with anxiety and lowers cortisol. I sleep somewhat better when I take this. Phenibut also works wonders, I have a super high benzo tolerance and this stuff knocks me down.

14. Quote Originally Posted by mikeymike85 View Post
    You should really try a cortisol controller such as Reduce XT - it helps with anxiety and lowers cortisol. I sleep somewhat better when I take this. Phenibut also works wonders, I have a super high benzo tolerance and this stuff knocks me down.
    Cortisol Control is good and all but doesn't address the underlying issue. OP needs to find a way to sleep more.
    www.millenniumsport.net
    (50% off code "SEP50")

15. Quote Originally Posted by MySTeek View Post
    Cortisol Control is good and all but doesn't address the underlying issue. OP needs to find a way to sleep more.
    Wtf? Dude. He said he can't sleep from anxiety. Cortisol = anxiety.

16. Quote Originally Posted by mikeymike85 View Post
    Wtf? Dude. He said he can't sleep from anxiety. Cortisol = anxiety.
    No, it might be. A lot of other possibilities too.

17. I've gotten between 4 and 7 hours for the last 5 years and I'm still making progress. No it's not ideal but it's like asking "if i don't work out and sleep 8 hours will I be better off than working out and getting less sleep?"

18. My system of sleep is simple. Weed and phenibut (never more than 500-1000mg) I only take the phenibut 2 days a week. And I alternate the phenibut with doxylamine succincate. Occasionally taking Benedryl in order to avoid adaptation to the meds. While on tren it lets me sleep like a baby. Been doing this for 8 weeks and it works great. I have had insomnia all my life and am sleeping better now than I ever have.

19. I'm on NPP and right now, the combination of 2g of phenibut, smoking indica (MJ), 5-HTP, 1g Gaba, 500mg l-theanine only lets me sleep 3 hours. I'm getting far worse insomnia than while on tren. It's beyond bizarre.

20. Quote Originally Posted by Outofbody View Post
    I'm on NPP and right now, the combination of 2g of phenibut, smoking indica (MJ), 5-HTP, 1g Gaba, 500mg l-theanine only lets me sleep 3 hours. I'm getting far worse insomnia than while on tren. It's beyond bizarre.
    Bro- that is a lot, I'm surprised you aren't knocked out. I can take a Xan bar and still be up, and the mix of what you are using above would allow me to sleep. 2G of Phenibut IMO is a lot, and it gets me a good sleep. You might need medical attention IMO>

21. Quote Originally Posted by Outofbody View Post
    I'm on NPP and right now, the combination of 2g of phenibut, smoking indica (MJ), 5-HTP, 1g Gaba, 500mg l-theanine only lets me sleep 3 hours. I'm getting far worse insomnia than while on tren. It's beyond bizarre.
    Hope you get that checked out professionally, man. That sounds rough.
    www.millenniumsport.net
    (50% off code "SEP50")

22. I definitely will if DSIP doesn't help me out over the next 5-7 weeks of my cycle. What's impressing me though is that I'm still able to dream on that sleep stack.

23. Quote Originally Posted by Outofbody View Post
    I definitely will if DSIP doesn't help me out over the next 5-7 weeks of my cycle. What's impressing me though is that I'm still able to dream on that sleep stack.
    The fact that you are able to form a comprehensible sentence with that much lack of sleep is a miracle! I wonder if the sleep stack is cutting much into your NREM sleep, giving your REM cycle bigger windows.
    www.millenniumsport.net
    (50% off code "SEP50")

24. Quote Originally Posted by MySTeek View Post
    The fact that you are able to form a comprehensible sentence with that much lack of sleep is a miracle! I wonder if the sleep stack is cutting much into your NREM sleep, giving your REM cycle bigger windows.
    Not sure, but I know that smoking MJ typically blunts any dreaming at all. Definitely not having any lucid dreams these days though.

25. Quote Originally Posted by Outofbody View Post
    Not sure, but I know that smoking MJ typically blunts any dreaming at all. Definitely not having any lucid dreams these days though.
    Are you actively trying to become lucid?
    www.millenniumsport.net
    (50% off code "SEP50")
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Do you think all these women are on gear?
    By R1187 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-20-2013, 03:58 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-10-2012, 12:33 AM
  3. Dumbbell Press or Chest Press -- Do you go all the way down?
    By Markusrulezzz in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-09-2010, 10:13 PM
  4. Do you see a potential civil war coming?
    By bigrobbierob in forum Politics
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-04-2008, 02:59 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-06-2006, 12:29 PM