Just throwing this topic of discussion out there. Low carb days during bulking season

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
I know some people wonder if its ok to have a low carb day during bulking. I have read other forums and people's opinion on this subject.

What are your opinions on throwing in a low carb day during bulking? Just to give the body a break? Eating lots of carbs can become very taxing on the body for some. Especially if you are taking in massive amounts of carbs day in and day out during bulking.

One of the reasons a person would do this would be to get rid of some excess water weight. Especially if they have the low carb day paired with a half hour of cardio for example. I don't really see the harm in this especially if a person does it randomly.

Your thoughts?

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
In for knowledge.....

When you say a low carb day what would your definition be?

Personally I’d see it as approx 50g carbs taken pre/post training but I know many would say 100g is low carb and even 200g (for those on 4,000 Cals a day where it’s the smallest macro by some distance)

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
In for knowledge.....

When you say a low carb day what would your definition be?

Personally I’d see it as approx 50g carbs taken pre/post training but I know many would say 100g is low carb and even 200g (for those on 4,000 Cals a day where it’s the smallest macro by some distance)
100-150 grams of carbs roughly.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
While bulking, the goal is to get bigger and stronger. All that is needed for that is a caloric surplus. You can manipulate your carbs on the low carb days to aid with performance, or just have the low carb days on off days. As long as one is getting enough calories, they will grow.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know some people wonder if its ok to have a low carb day during bulking. I have read other forums and people's opinion on this subject.

What are your opinions on throwing in a low carb day during bulking? Just to give the body a break? Eating lots of carbs can become very taxing on the body for some. Especially if you are taking in massive amounts of carbs day in and day out during bulking.

One of the reasons a person would do this would be to get rid of some excess water weight. Especially if they have the low carb day paired with a half hour of cardio for example. I don't really see the harm in this especially if a person does it randomly.

Your thoughts?
absolutely. I do these on non lifting days as it makes the most sense. Ive done them on lifting days as well, even in the offseason when I want to tighten up my waist

DonutGains89

DonutGains89

Awards
Done both low carb day on a training day, and a low carb day on an off day while bulking still was able to grow. Plus it was nice and helpful having a day eating a little less, but I also gain weight very easily so for me its very useful seeing how my body is growing and responding. Id recommend everyone give it a shot and be their own judge/critic.

rrivers

Awards
I generally keep carbs pretty low on non-training days and get them from mainly vegetables. Especially after a cut, I add calories and carbs pretty slowly and time carbs to around my lift sessions. So hard to watch abs disappear I want to hang on to them for as long as possible, lol. Just finished a cut last week and am taking a very patient and methodological approach to putting on lean mass with expectations of adding a pound, or less, per month.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
I generally keep carbs pretty low on non-training days and get them from mainly vegetables. Especially after a cut, I add calories and carbs pretty slowly and time carbs to around my lift sessions. So hard to watch abs disappear I want to hang on to them for as long as possible, lol. Just finished a cut last week and am taking a very patient and methodological approach to putting on lean mass with expectations of adding a pound, or less, per month.
How slowly do you increase carbs after a cut?

rrivers

Awards
I start by adding one carb meal per week. Week after an intense cut (only carb drink pre/intra/post workout) add about 50g to post workout meal. The second week, add about 35g to breakfast. Then I'll begin adding some carbs in the meal before my workout. I continue to carb cycle, so only fruits/vegetables on non-lift days. I'm going to be throwing in a high carb day every 7-14 days depending on how I feel. This is the first time I've been so strict. I had a bod pod reading the last day of my cut so I can have a marker for how well this plan works at adding lean mass after 8 weeks. I've got some Slinmax to use for the impending holidays so I don't get too off track.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I still implement carb cycling during a lean bulk. My macro splits are different and carb intake is higher than during a cut, but staggering my carb intake always seems to help me to stay leaner during a bulk. I like to do higher carb days 2 days per week, 3 moderate, and 2 low. My one low carb day (appx. 150g carbs) falls on my training day, and I don't find it to have any significant impact on training or performance.

rrivers

Awards
Why do you purposefully train on your low carb day? I haven't heard of anyone doing that while carb cycling. It must work for you if you do it, just wondering what your reasoning is.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Why do you purposefully train on your low carb day? I haven't heard of anyone doing that while carb cycling. It must work for you if you do it, just wondering what your reasoning is.
I do it mainly to keep my carb intake different from day to day. I follow a carb cycling schedule that isn't dependent on training, and I've found that training on one lower carb day doesn't have much or any impact on training. I follow this day with a high carb leg day. I wouldn't suggest following my protocol, but I've found it to be effective and helps me to stay leaner while still gaining weight slowly during a lean bulk

rrivers

Awards
Gotcha. It's interesting to hear the different strategies people use. Of course, everyone should experiment to figure out what works best for their goals regarding diet and exercise. Not too sure how my body will respond to my current strategy, but won't know until I give it a go for a while.