Future Plan: Transition out of keto into a lean bulk - Thoughts/Advice?

jp21590

jp21590

Awards
  • First Up Vote
What's up guys,

Currently 8 weeks into my cut, using a keto diet as my basis. Macros are set at 1850 calories with a 27% P, 68% F, 5% C breakdown. I've been experiencing some great results, but feel like I am going to end up losing too much weight by the time I reach my end goal of 10% BF. My starting weight was 150 lbs, with body fat % around 15-16% (not the most accurate, using the reading from my scale). I'm currently sitting at 138 lbs @ a little under 12% BF. I have even upped my caloric intake to 2,200- 2,500 a few days a week to see if I can preserve some size while still dropping fat % but seem to just be maintaining at those macros.

I don't mind sacrificing weight in order to reach my BF% goal as I have never been this lean and it has always been a goal of mine. However, once I reach my goal I want to transition into a lean bulk to recoup some of the weight I have lost while cutting.

For those that have utilized a keto diet and transitioned out into a lean bulk, what would you recommend as the best approach to minimize fat gain?

I know this is a marathon not a sprint and am in for the long haul.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
In to see the responses.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
To minimize fat gain, you're going to want to eat at a smaller surplus. Instead of your typical 500 caloric surplus, think of a 200-300 surplus instead. Additionally, you do not want to jump your cals too high when trasitioning from a cut to bulk. It does not matter if one follows keto or not. A reverse diet would be your best bet.

Progressive overload applies to dieting. Just like with lifting, gradual increases in calories will help you take control of your gains without gaining excess fat.

If you've been dieting you shouldn't start a traditional bulk. Hitting your body with excess calories after being in a caloric deficit will lead to fat gain.

The body wants to maintain homeostasis. So fast increases or decreases in calories will cause problems.

Use reverse dieting to build muscle. Whether you're starting from maintenance or from a diet, you can increase your food intake to build muscle, not fat.
https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/how-to-bulk-and-keep-your-abs

In terms of your carb intake, I would also slowly add carbs back to your diet. I might even suggest carb cycling. Carbs cycling will possibly allow you to improve your body composition, even in a small surplus. One thing I would keep in mind when adding carbs back to your diet is this. carbs will pull in extra water. You may look a little more fluffy or wet, depending on how your body handles carbs. Do not let that psychological affect have a negative impact on you and your body composition. I have seen people go from a low carb diet to adding carbs and they think they are getting fat because some glycogen and water retention. Here is some good info on carb cycling. I carb cycle and personally enjoy it.

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/carb-cycling-codex

https://www.scribd.com/doc/233225345/Shelby-Starnes-Carb-Cycling-Guide

DonutGains89

DonutGains89

Awards
What's up guys,

Currently 8 weeks into my cut, using a keto diet as my basis. Macros are set at 1850 calories with a 27% P, 68% F, 5% C breakdown. I've been experiencing some great results, but feel like I am going to end up losing too much weight by the time I reach my end goal of 10% BF. My starting weight was 150 lbs, with body fat % around 15-16% (not the most accurate, using the reading from my scale). I'm currently sitting at 138 lbs @ a little under 12% BF. I have even upped my caloric intake to 2,200- 2,500 a few days a week to see if I can preserve some size while still dropping fat % but seem to just be maintaining at those macros.

I don't mind sacrificing weight in order to reach my BF% goal as I have never been this lean and it has always been a goal of mine. However, once I reach my goal I want to transition into a lean bulk to recoup some of the weight I have lost while cutting.

For those that have utilized a keto diet and transitioned out into a lean bulk, what would you recommend as the best approach to minimize fat gain?

I know this is a marathon not a sprint and am in for the long haul.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Personally I have gone from a lean bulk, into dieting down slowly dropping carbs, into a carb cycling plan, then into keto. Worked fantastic by the way :thumbsup::thumbsup: but it all comes down to what your goals are. How you said you are trying to get to 10%bf and how you don't mind sacrificing body weight to reach your goal. So being that you believe you are under 12%, first off do you gain weight easily? Or do you have a hard time gaining weight/dropping weight? Think about that.. Then I would say if you have come to a stall where you are just maintaining. Now you got a few options, I personally would go into a carb cycling plan and see if that changes anything, while Im going to assume you are averaging a gallon of water a day, I would then bump that up a little bit. I would say give this a shot you should see a difference relatively quick 1-2 weeks, or another option you can bump your cals up slowly. Also could get yourself fat burner supplement as another option. When I did my latest cut I stacked t2 from liquid labs and hi techs hydroxy elite this helped me. But kinda hard without a lot more information but basically you know your body so you gotta be the guinea pig with yourself and try different things out. I personally am a big fan of carb cycling I'd say give that a shot check the links posted in the other comment in here and let us know what you decide dude and then we can all keep helping guide you.

So make a decision, make a plan, and get after it bud!