Meal 1- 6:30AM- homemade gainer shake
Snack- 10:00AM- 1 banana
Meal 2- 11:00AM- rice and veggies
Meal 3- 1:00PM- rice, chicken and yogurt
Snack- 4:00PM- 1banana
Preworkout- empty or 1 banana or Peanut butter sandwich or oatmeal
Post workout- Whey with water
Post W/O meal- rice, chicken and yogurt
Last meal- rice and chicken or flat wheat bread with chicken and veg gravy.

I need some help adjusting the diet or completely changing it coz I am not increase my body weight. It could be coz I am not able to eat a lot more than what I am already eating and I am just tired of the same diet.

Can somebody suggest a better calorie dense diet plan.

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You're eating too many shakes and your food is really clean. If you want to gain weight you need to eat higher calorie rich foods. Google tdee and find out how many calories you're taking in per day vs how many you need to be taking in and adjust your Foods accordingly

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I only have 1 shake a day (35gms oats, 1banana, 2tbs peanut butter, coffee powder, 300ml milk and half a scoop Whey) Are you suggesting a dirty bulk? I am so used to eating clean since I started training, now when I eat some dirty, it just doesn't feel good. I am taking in approx 2800cal. Need around 3500. But with the clean eating, I just can't eat more. What is/was your diet like during bulk?

Last edited:
mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
According to your original post you have a gainer shake for breakfast and whey and water post workout so that's two a day.

Increase calories by eating a larger snack at 10am and 4pm, add some healthy fats to your home made shake, eat slightly larger meals, splash some home made vinaigrette (1 part olive oil to 3 parts apple cider vinegar) onto dinners, add milk instead of water to post workout shake

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oatmeal squares w peanut butter. Add avocado and guacamole. Salad dressings. Eat beans with your rice. Instead of just a banana for snack eat some nuts or fruit and nuts with it. Have days where you go on a surplus and eat dessert or pizza or something like that. One day a week dirty will not hurt you. I'm not talking about a full-on dirty bulk but there are many ways where you can add calories to your diet and still do it clean. And two shakes a day is a lot. You should be eating more solid foods that are high in calories period most shakes are really only about a hundred calories per scoop which is nothing. Get creative

If your tdee to gain weight is 3500 in your only taking in 2800 calories a day there's your problem

During a bulk I will usually go a couple days where I go ham with it eating anything and everything. And then I'll listen to my body and clean up for a day or two so that the muscle that I'm gaining cleans itself up and it's not dirty

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
According to your original post you have a gainer shake for breakfast and whey and water post workout so that's two a day.

Increase calories by eating a larger snack at 10am and 4pm, add some healthy fats to your home made shake, eat slightly larger meals, splash some home made vinaigrette (1 part olive oil to 3 parts apple cider vinegar) onto dinners, add milk instead of water to post workout shake
Oatmeal squares w peanut butter. Add avocado and guacamole. Salad dressings. Eat beans with your rice. Instead of just a banana for snack eat some nuts or fruit and nuts with it. Have days where you go on a surplus and eat dessert or pizza or something like that. One day a week dirty will not hurt you. I'm not talking about a full-on dirty bulk but there are many ways where you can add calories to your diet and still do it clean. And two shakes a day is a lot. You should be eating more solid foods that are high in calories period most shakes are really only about a hundred calories per scoop which is nothing. Get creative

If your tdee to gain weight is 3500 in your only taking in 2800 calories a day there's your problem

During a bulk I will usually go a couple days where I go ham with it eating anything and everything. And then I'll listen to my body and clean up for a day or two so that the muscle that I'm gaining cleans itself up and it's not dirty
Good advice.. Thanks guys.. Eating larger meals is the problem. I gag when I eat larger meals.That's why I add a shake in the morning.. But, I am going to try and up my intake of fats and up just one notch of solid food (hopefully won't gag) as suggested.

if it's okay, can you share the diet plan you had while bulking?

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Good advice.. Thanks guys.. Eating larger meals is the problem. I gag when I eat larger meals.That's why I add a shake in the morning.. But, I am going to try and up my intake of fats and up just one notch of solid food (hopefully won't gag) as suggested.

Breakfast: 3 fried egg whites, 2 turkey sausage, cinnamon raisin bagel w/cream cheese

Snack 2 hours later: protein bar, handful of pecans

Lunch: Leftovers from dinner, Mass Gain shake

Snack 2 hours later: Double scoop Protein shake, 2 Ham Sandwiches w/pepperjack cheese on whole grain bread

Dinner: Whatever the wife makes...Normally chicken, veal, or beef with potatoes and a green veggie

Post-Workout: Casien Shake, handful of pecans

CJuggernaut

CJuggernaut

Board Sponsor
Awards

Meal 1:
- 2 whole eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 2 slice turkey bacon
- 1 tbsp coconut oil

Meal 2:
- 10oz Chicken, turkey or fish (pre cooked)
- 2 cup green veggies
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup almonds

Meal 3: Pre workout
- 2 servings Greek Yogurt or cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup pineapple

Intraworkout
-1 scoop BCAA

Post – Workout
- 2 banana
- 2 scoops Whey Protein

Meal 4:
- 10oz (pre cooked) ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 cups cooked white, brown or jasmine rice

Meal 5:
- 1 cup cooked oatmeal
- 1/2 cup mixed berries
Or
- 2 cups fruit pebbles
- 1 cup almond milk

Bed:
- 2 scoop casein protein

Hope you find a meal plan that fits and increases your caloric intake. This is my current offseason diet. I also free eat Saturday or Sunday from 5-9pm (usually when I'm social or with family)

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Meal 1:
- 2 whole eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 2 slice turkey bacon
- 1 tbsp coconut oil

Meal 2:
- 10oz Chicken, turkey or fish (pre cooked)
- 2 cup green veggies
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup almonds

Meal 3: Pre workout
- 2 servings Greek Yogurt or cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup pineapple

Intraworkout
-1 scoop BCAA

Post – Workout
- 2 banana
- 2 scoops Whey Protein

Meal 4:
- 10oz (pre cooked) ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 cups cooked white, brown or jasmine rice

Meal 5:
- 1 cup cooked oatmeal
- 1/2 cup mixed berries
Or
- 2 cups fruit pebbles
- 1 cup almond milk

Bed:
- 2 scoop casein protein

Hope you find a meal plan that fits and increases your caloric intake. This is my current offseason diet. I also free eat Saturday or Sunday from 5-9pm (usually when I'm social or with family)
Appreciate it brother.. I think my fat intake is close to nothing. I need to a couple of cheat meals in a week as well

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Had a cheat meal after months and I didn't feel good at all.. there was a time when I loved a good junk meal.

CJuggernaut

CJuggernaut

Board Sponsor
Awards
Had a cheat meal after months and I didn't feel good at all.. there was a time when I loved a good junk meal.
Lol, ease into it! Need to get accustomed to it before going "balls deep" into a cheat meal. I usually start people lightly with cheat meals and increase the amount eaten each time. They can create a surge in hormonal changes/release. I tend to avoid the heavy junk food as well, most digestive systems after eating clean for a long time just aren't ready to handle them right off the bet.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Lol, ease into it! Need to get accustomed to it before going "balls deep" into a cheat meal. I usually start people lightly with cheat meals and increase the amount eaten each time. They can create a surge in hormonal changes/release. I tend to avoid the heavy junk food as well, most digestive systems after eating clean for a long time just aren't ready to handle them right off the bet.
Yeah, you're right.. I went all-in today. 2 burgers, cheese fries. And I have terrible acidity now..

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
I have been consistently been on a diet
Age- 30
Height- 5ft 7"
Current weight- 176lbs
Goal weight- 190lbs
Meal 1- 6:30AM- homemade gainer shake
Snack- 10:00AM- 1 banana
Meal 2- 11:00AM- rice and veggies
Meal 3- 1:00PM- rice, chicken and yogurt
Snack- 4:00PM- 1banana
Preworkout- empty or 1 banana or Peanut butter sandwich or oatmeal
Post workout- Whey with water
Post W/O meal- rice, chicken and yogurt
Last meal- rice and chicken or flat wheat bread with chicken and veg gravy.

I need some help adjusting the diet or completely changing it coz I am not increase my body weight. It could be coz I am not able to eat a lot more than what I am already eating and I am just tired of the same diet.

Can somebody suggest a better calorie dense diet plan.

I don't mean this in a rude way but that diet is an absolute joke as a bulking diet or even as a bodybuilding diet (lacking protein).

My suggestion:

1. Up your protein to 300g per day. It's ok to aim for around 100-150g from whole food (i.e., 1 lbs chicken breast = 100g) and 150-200 from liquid such as whey, milk.
2. Up your calories to 4,000-5,000 per day (depending on how easily you gain fat)
3. Never eat carbs without substantial protein (1 banana only, rice and veggies only, PB sandwich etc.)

And hopefully you're focusing on increasing strength in compound movements (no machines), most importantly the "big 3" movements: squat, deadlift, bench press.

You don't need to eat that clean (bulking is for gaining weight, cutting is for getting lean), and if you are sick of whole food try 1/2 or 1 full gallon of 2% milk per day, that will add a large amount of extra calories and protein.

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah and trust me after a while you will greatly enjoy it once your body gets used to it again... Definitely take it slow and start with things you like to eat

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don't mean this in a rude way but that diet is an absolute joke as a bulking diet or even as a bodybuilding diet (lacking protein).

My suggestion:

1. Up your protein to 300g per day. It's ok to aim for around 100-150g from whole food (i.e., 1 lbs chicken breast = 100g) and 150-200 from liquid such as whey, milk.
2. Up your calories to 4,000-5,000 per day (depending on how easily you gain fat)
3. Never eat carbs without substantial protein (1 banana only, rice and veggies only, PB sandwich etc.)

And hopefully you're focusing on increasing strength in compound movements (no machines), most importantly the "big 3" movements: squat, deadlift, bench press.

You don't need to eat that clean (bulking is for gaining weight, cutting is for getting lean), and if you are sick of whole food try 1/2 or 1 full gallon of 2% milk per day, that will add a large amount of extra calories and protein.
Yup, I agree. My diet is not any where near a bulking diet. My problem is eating a lot as I mentioned before. I gag when I eat a lot.

These are my stats
Deadlift- 405lbs
Squats- 390lbs
Bench Press- 225lbs

I am going to try and up the calorie intake slowly..

CJuggernaut

CJuggernaut

Board Sponsor
Awards
Simple sugars timed right can add calories without the bulk other foods have. Usually right after workout is best. Avoid most fruits, overly ripe bananas are the exception, and avoid corn syrup. I have used jelly beans, glazed donuts, etc. their are Carb type shakes for post workout but, I prefer solid foods. Lots of info on the internet, I'd love no a few however I'm speak to text while driving.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Simple sugars timed right can add calories without the bulk other foods have. Usually right after workout is best. Avoid most fruits, overly ripe bananas are the exception, and avoid corn syrup. I have used jelly beans, glazed donuts, etc. their are Carb type shakes for post workout but, I prefer solid foods. Lots of info on the internet, I'd love no a few however I'm speak to text while driving.
I am thinking about MyProtein Instant Oats and Maltodextrin for immediate post workout carbs with my Whey. Then solid food in an hour. Would that work?

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am thinking about MyProtein Instant Oats and Maltodextrin for immediate post workout carbs with my Whey. Then solid food in an hour. Would that work?
I've used their instant oats and they usually bloat me pretty good.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've used their instant oats and they usually bloat me pretty good.
I have used it before. But never had the bloated feeling. It's just every body reacts to thing differently..

CJuggernaut

CJuggernaut

Board Sponsor
Awards
Oats are kinda heavy for me post workout personally, I'd use 2 large overly ripe bananas. But if you can stomach the oats go for it...

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Oats are kinda heavy for me post workout personally, I'd use 2 large overly ripe bananas. But if you can stomach the oats go for it...
I used to take about 50gms of instant oats (full serving is 100gms) and Whey right after workout. But could still eat food in like 30-45mins. A full serving of the oats will definitely bloat you up.

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Yup, I agree. My diet is not any where near a bulking diet. My problem is eating a lot as I mentioned before. I gag when I eat a lot.

These are my stats
Deadlift- 405lbs
Squats- 390lbs
Bench Press- 225lbs

I am going to try and up the calorie intake slowly..
Are those 1 rep maxes or for reps? Because those are very good numbers. I would think with the right diet you should be gaining. Liquids are a good way to get those calories without dealing with whole foods.

I remember when I was younger and bulking I actually threw up once from trying to get oatmeal, whey and flax down lol. But you still gotta do it if you want to gain muscle.

Vitamin B12 may help your appetite. If I were you I'd start drinking a 1/2 gallon whole milk per day which will give you an extra 1,200 cals per day:

https://stronglifts.com/gomad-milk-squats-gallon-gain-weight/

On one of my bulking cycles (I was on gear at the time also) I literally drank 1 gallon of whole milk per day. It is also the heaviest I ever got (238) and if I remember the strongest as well on some exercises. It works.

Forget about eating clean for bulking especially if you have problems eating volumes of food. Here is a classic article that is great inspiration for the kind of mindset you need, I have followed this with success (Originally an article on Anabolic Extreme)

"Extreme Eating for Mass": https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/toddblue6.htm

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Are those 1 rep maxes or for reps? Because those are very good numbers. I would think with the right diet you should be gaining. Liquids are a good way to get those calories without dealing with whole foods.

I remember when I was younger and bulking I actually threw up once from trying to get oatmeal, whey and flax down lol. But you still gotta do it if you want to gain muscle.

Vitamin B12 may help your appetite. If I were you I'd start drinking a 1/2 gallon whole milk per day which will give you an extra 1,200 cals

On one of my bulking cycles (I was on gear at the time also) I literally drank 1 gallon of whole milk per day. It is also the heaviest I ever got (238) and if I remember the strongest as well on some exercises. It works.

Forget about eating clean for bulking especially if you have problems eating volumes of food. Here is a classic article that is great inspiration for the kind of mindset you need, I have followed this with success (Originally an article on Anabolic Extreme)

"Extreme Eating for Mass":
My deadlift weight is the 1 rep max. But, I squeeze in 3reps for Squats and Chest Press (with a spotter).
Dude a gallon of milk?!! Damn! I drink like a gallon of water everyday and I take a piss like every hour. If I drink a gallon of milk, I might as well stay in the toilet. LOL. Yeah, I moved on to taking my first meal as shake coz I can't eat a lot in my first meal. The most I eat is in my 2nd (mid morning) and 3rd meal (lunch).
I do take a multi vitamin 3 times a day. And thanks for the article man..

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Sure... eating big is like lifting big... it can be hard but you gotta force yourself through it if you want to force your body to change from where it wants to be. But you have to want it or it ain't gonna happen.

I was a hardgainer especially when younger too. My bulking diet was 6-7,000 calories per day.

Another idea is a smoothie:

4 cups Whole milk
4 tbsp peanut butter
Chocolate Ice cream
2 scoops whey

Will give you a tasty 1,500 calories and ~100g of protein. Drink one in the morning and one in the evening. Not that hard and now you have an extra 3,000 cals and 200g of protein per day.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sure... eating big is like lifting big... it can be hard but you gotta force yourself through it if you want to force your body to change from where it wants to be. But you have to want it or it ain't gonna happen.

I was a hardgainer especially when younger too. My bulking diet was 6-7,000 calories per day.

Another idea is a smoothie:

4 cups Whole milk
4 tbsp peanut butter
Chocolate Ice cream
2 scoops whey

Will give you a tasty 1,500 calories and ~100g of protein. Drink one in the morning and one in the evening. Not that hard and now you have an extra 3,000 cals and 200g of protein per day.
Yes. I am gonna slowly transition into this. Not going to make the same mistake I did today with my cheat meal. Got my stomach all messed up. BTW, the GOMAD article is a gem. Thanks man

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
I think I'm going to make an ice cream and PB milkshake myself after typing this. (I'm bulking as well.) :D

jt75

jt75

Awards
  • Established
You yanks eat some weird sh!t lol turkey bacon??? I mean come on wtf ? it's prob delicious too

CJuggernaut

CJuggernaut

Board Sponsor
Awards
Lol, cheaper and has no sodium nitrate like most bacon here in the US. Uncured bacon can run $6/$8 for 8/10 slices vs. $3/$4 for turkey bacon. It's not to bad, just a bit chewy...

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
You yanks eat some weird sh!t lol turkey bacon??? I mean come on wtf ? it's prob delicious too
It's actually really, and I'm not even a yank. Just a misplaced Cajun that married a yank. Lol

Pinggolfee96

Awards
  • Established
The guy weighs 175......300 grams of protein is unnecessary and expensive....
And telling someone to up their calories to 4-5000 is very subjective.

Pinggolfee96

Awards
  • Established

My suggestion:

The guy weighs 175lbs.....300 grams of protein is unnecessary and also expensive. Also telling someone to eat 4-5000 calories is subjective.

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
I try to eat about 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight to bulk. That's also what Doggcrapp recommends, and I've had my best size gains using his methods (for > a decade). 300g of protein is less than 2g/lbs for him.

Also, he is a hard gainer apparently. I'm trying to get him to stop implementing half measures (slowly increase calories etc.) that the body adapts to and results in him never changing.

If you want to force your body to make dramatic changes, you have to go to relative extremes. 300g of protein per day, and 4-5,000 calories should get him gaining. Less than 4,000 calories isn't that much for a hardgainer who exercises and will probably result in slow if any meaningful progress for someone who is "desperately" trying to gain weight.

But sure, take the moderate, approach of eating not more than 200g of protein and 3,000 calories, and see whether you're 15 lbs. heavier in 3 months.

Also, I personally started bodybuilding while weighing 155 lbs. at 6' when I was 17. My top weight was 238 and I'm always reasonably lean. Right now I've been off gear since 2005 (and have hypogonadism) and currently weigh between 215 and 220 with 17 inch arms cold and my bodyfat is around 11-13% by caliper.

When I bulked up from 180 lbs in spring of 2015 to 235 lbs. in winter 2015 it wasn't by eating chicken and rice, and limiting my protein intake. I'm bulking now again also and although I'm doing a clean ("healthy food") bulk I'm still hitting at least 4-5,000 calories on training days and a minimum of 300g of protein per day.

Eat big, lift big, get big is how you gain size IMO.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Protein is expensive, and outside of AAS use 2g/lb. is excessive IMO

Protein requirements drop on a bulk with excess calories, and are higher while on a deficit (to maintain and repair lean mass)

I see you are firm on your stance that it is your personal preference but I wouldn't suggest it to another person I haven't been coaching and monitoring...

Plus is it far easier to eat carbs and fat for calories, and calories is what is needed here

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
What is OP's fat intake? jtmass

Your opening post with a typical diet layout looks almost fat-free

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Excessive how?

I agree total calories is more important but I tend to err on overdoing it a bit possibly than not going far enough. '

Also, if you add up the protein in the diet he posted, it looks like he may already be getting over 200g/day. If he's not gaining on that, I would suggest upping both total calories and total protein.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
He will gain on extra calories, regardless of the macronutrient

200/day is plenty to grow, but adding more does not mean more lean mass for him, so he may as well enjoy some carbs while also saving his wallet

With protein being the most satiating macro (per calorie) it is arguably the worst to increase while he is "desperate to bulk up" and struggling with it

I think he just needs to become accustomed to eating more

Pinggolfee96

Awards
  • Established
I try to eat about 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight to bulk. That's also what Doggcrapp recommends, and I've had my best size gains using his methods (for > a decade). 300g of protein is less than 2g/lbs for him.

Also, he is a hard gainer apparently. I'm trying to get him to stop implementing half measures (slowly increase calories etc.) that the body adapts to and results in him never changing.

If you want to force your body to make dramatic changes, you have to go to relative extremes. 300g of protein per day, and 4-5,000 calories should get him gaining. Less than 4,000 calories isn't that much for a hardgainer who exercises and will probably result in slow if any meaningful progress for someone who is "desperately" trying to gain weight.

But sure, take the moderate, approach of eating not more than 200g of protein and 3,000 calories, and see whether you're 15 lbs. heavier in 3 months.

Also, I personally started bodybuilding while weighing 155 lbs. at 6' when I was 17. My top weight was 238 and I'm always reasonably lean. Right now I've been off gear since 2005 (and have hypogonadism) and currently weigh between 215 and 220 with 17 inch arms cold and my bodyfat is around 11-13% by caliper.

When I bulked up from 180 lbs in spring of 2015 to 235 lbs. in winter 2015 it wasn't by eating chicken and rice, and limiting my protein intake. I'm bulking now again also and although I'm doing a clean ("healthy food") bulk I'm still hitting at least 4-5,000 calories on training days and a minimum of 300g of protein per day.

Which is exactly why I said your post was subjective. Cause this is what YOU did and what worked for YOU.

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
What's your point? I was a hardgainer originally also. Should I suggest things that didn't work for me?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
What's your point? I was a hardgainer originally also. Should I suggest things that didn't work for me?
Not at all brother, we all got from A to B on very different workout routines and diets

Every method that was successful has its merits, I just wish it was "one size fits all"

OP should add calories 100%
It will be up to his dietary preferences how that happens and hopefully he checks back in with us so we can see what did or didn't work for him

Trial and error was a big part of my first 2-3 years

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The guy weighs 175......300 grams of protein is unnecessary and expensive....
And telling someone to up their calories to 4-5000 is very subjective.

Getting in 4-5000cal is going to be difficult. With the diet I am currently in, I gained about 18lbs in 5 months.. that was definitely my newbie gains.. if I force myself to eat that muchfrom the get-go, I know t will not go down well.. I have tried that before.

Protein is expensive, and outside of AAS use 2g/lb. is excessive IMO

Protein requirements drop on a bulk with excess calories, and are higher while on a deficit (to maintain and repair lean mass)

I see you are firm on your stance that it is your personal preference but I wouldn't suggest it to another person I haven't been coaching and monitoring...

Plus is it far easier to eat carbs and fat for calories, and calories is what is needed here
Yeah 2gm/lb could be excessive for my body. I am thinking more on carbs and fats..

What is OP's fat intake? jtmass

Your opening post with a typical diet layout looks almost fat-free
Not fat free.. I do take whole milk and yogurt everyday. Few days in a week, peanut butter and walnuts..

Excessive how?

I agree total calories is more important but I tend to err on overdoing it a bit possibly than not going far enough. '

Also, if you add up the protein in the diet he posted, it looks like he may already be getting over 200g/day. If he's not gaining on that, I would suggest upping both total calories and total protein.
He will gain on extra calories, regardless of the macronutrient

200/day is plenty to grow, but adding more does not mean more lean mass for him, so he may as well enjoy some carbs while also saving his wallet

With protein being the most satiating macro (per calorie) it is arguably the worst to increase while he is "desperate to bulk up" and struggling with it

I think he just needs to become accustomed to eating more
I really need to get accustomed to eating more.. that's why, I am going to gradually increase my intake.. say, in about a month..

Not at all brother, we all got from A to B on very different workout routines and diets

Every method that was successful has its merits, I just wish it was "one size fits all"

OP should add calories 100%
It will be up to his dietary preferences how that happens and hopefully he checks back in with us so we can see what did or didn't work for him

Trial and error was a big part of my first 2-3 years

throneof

throneof

Awards
  • Established
You're not going to bulk on chicken and rice. Eat pasta, beef, Whole eggs. Homemade mass gainers are great. I have 2/day myself.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
3 slices center cut bacon
1/2 cup egg white (cooked in bacon fat)
1/4 cut shredded cheese
Lactose free milk (Kroger carbmaster milk)
*psyllium husk with meal

50g cho from either couscous (favorite grain) red skin potato or basmati rice
Season meat of choice
*digestive enzyme with meal

Protein w/lactose free chocolate milk

Shish-kabob with grain/potato of choice
*digestive enzyme with meal

Deli sandwhich with lentil chips

Fiber bar & pb&j with lactose free milk (Kroger carbmaster milk)

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You're not going to bulk on chicken and rice. Eat pasta, beef, Whole eggs. Homemade mass gainers are great. I have 2/day myself.
Whole eggs are part of my daily diet. Beef once in a while. Pasta; rarely. Thanks for the suggestion. Just tired of eating rice.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Wanted to update you guys about the progress I made. Increased 3lbs in 2 weeks. I have added MyProtein Instant Oats to my supplement stack. Thanks for all the suggestions. Cheat meals feel a lot better now.

Pinggolfee96

Awards
  • Established
Wanted to update you guys about the progress I made. Increased 3lbs in 2 weeks. I have added MyProtein Instant Oats to my supplement stack. Thanks for all the suggestions. Cheat meals feel a lot better now.
I'm still confused about this and your position on why you need to impose cheat meals when you're bulking?? Your perspective towards food seems a little skewed. I'm cutting and I have some "cheat" everyday

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm still confused about this and your position on why you need to impose cheat meals when you're bulking?? Your perspective towards food seems a little skewed. I'm cutting and I have some "cheat" everyday
Give a read to the previous comments.. my problem was cheat meals and eating a lot. I am just getting used to cheat meals now.

GainsCoach

Awards
I don't know what's in your homemade Gainer Shake but it sounds like you're just not eating enough food overall and I would definitely up your protein intake for sure if you're trying to gain muscle, that my simple answer. Keep it clean.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don't know what's in your homemade Gainer Shake but it sounds like you're just not eating enough food overall and I would definitely up your protein intake for sure if you're trying to gain muscle, that my simple answer. Keep it clean.
Looks like I am eating enough. Just gained 3lbs in 2weeks. I call that progress