Desperate to bulk up.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

1. Sure thing

2. I think I'm going to make an ice cream and PB milkshake myself after typing this. (I'm bulking as well.)
    •   

3. You yanks eat some weird sh!t lol turkey bacon??? I mean come on wtf 😂 it's prob delicious too

4. Lol, cheaper and has no sodium nitrate like most bacon here in the US. Uncured bacon can run $6/$8 for 8/10 slices vs. $3/$4 for turkey bacon. It's not to bad, just a bit chewy...

5. Quote Originally Posted by jt75 View Post
    You yanks eat some weird sh!t lol turkey bacon??? I mean come on wtf 😂 it's prob delicious too
    It's actually really, and I'm not even a yank. Just a misplaced Cajun that married a yank. Lol
    •   

6. The guy weighs 175......300 grams of protein is unnecessary and expensive....
    And telling someone to up their calories to 4-5000 is very subjective.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Justlooking5 View Post
    I don't mean this in a rude way but that diet is an absolute joke as a bulking diet or even as a bodybuilding diet (lacking protein).

My suggestion:
    1. Up your protein to 300g per day. It's ok to aim for around 100-150g from whole food (i.e., 1 lbs chicken breast = 100g) and 150-200 from liquid such as whey, milk.
    2. Up your calories to 4,000-5,000 per day (depending on how easily you gain fat)
    3. Never eat carbs without substantial protein (1 banana only, rice and veggies only, PB sandwich etc.)

And hopefully you're focusing on increasing strength in compound movements (no machines), most importantly the "big 3" movements: squat, deadlift, bench press.

You don't need to eat that clean (bulking is for gaining weight, cutting is for getting lean), and if you are sick of whole food try 1/2 or 1 full gallon of 2% milk per day, that will add a large amount of extra calories and protein.

The guy weighs 175lbs.....300 grams of protein is unnecessary and also expensive. Also telling someone to eat 4-5000 calories is subjective.

8. I try to eat about 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight to bulk. That's also what Doggcrapp recommends, and I've had my best size gains using his methods (for > a decade). 300g of protein is less than 2g/lbs for him.

Also, he is a hard gainer apparently. I'm trying to get him to stop implementing half measures (slowly increase calories etc.) that the body adapts to and results in him never changing.

If you want to force your body to make dramatic changes, you have to go to relative extremes. 300g of protein per day, and 4-5,000 calories should get him gaining. Less than 4,000 calories isn't that much for a hardgainer who exercises and will probably result in slow if any meaningful progress for someone who is "desperately" trying to gain weight.

But sure, take the moderate, approach of eating not more than 200g of protein and 3,000 calories, and see whether you're 15 lbs. heavier in 3 months.

Also, I personally started bodybuilding while weighing 155 lbs. at 6' when I was 17. My top weight was 238 and I'm always reasonably lean. Right now I've been off gear since 2005 (and have hypogonadism) and currently weigh between 215 and 220 with 17 inch arms cold and my bodyfat is around 11-13% by caliper.

When I bulked up from 180 lbs in spring of 2015 to 235 lbs. in winter 2015 it wasn't by eating chicken and rice, and limiting my protein intake. I'm bulking now again also and although I'm doing a clean ("healthy food") bulk I'm still hitting at least 4-5,000 calories on training days and a minimum of 300g of protein per day.

Eat big, lift big, get big is how you gain size IMO.
  9. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

Protein is expensive, and outside of AAS use 2g/lb. is excessive IMO

Protein requirements drop on a bulk with excess calories, and are higher while on a deficit (to maintain and repair lean mass)

I see you are firm on your stance that it is your personal preference but I wouldn't suggest it to another person I haven't been coaching and monitoring...

Plus is it far easier to eat carbs and fat for calories, and calories is what is needed here
    PEScience Representative; Use the code Driven for 30% off at pescience.com
  10. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

What is OP's fat intake? @jtmass

Your opening post with a typical diet layout looks almost fat-free

11. Excessive how?

I agree total calories is more important but I tend to err on overdoing it a bit possibly than not going far enough. '

Also, if you add up the protein in the diet he posted, it looks like he may already be getting over 200g/day. If he's not gaining on that, I would suggest upping both total calories and total protein.
  12. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

Desperate to bulk up.

He will gain on extra calories, regardless of the macronutrient

200/day is plenty to grow, but adding more does not mean more lean mass for him, so he may as well enjoy some carbs while also saving his wallet

With protein being the most satiating macro (per calorie) it is arguably the worst to increase while he is "desperate to bulk up" and struggling with it

I think he just needs to become accustomed to eating more

13. Quote Originally Posted by Justlooking5 View Post
    I try to eat about 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight to bulk. That's also what Doggcrapp recommends, and I've had my best size gains using his methods (for > a decade). 300g of protein is less than 2g/lbs for him.

Also, he is a hard gainer apparently. I'm trying to get him to stop implementing half measures (slowly increase calories etc.) that the body adapts to and results in him never changing.

If you want to force your body to make dramatic changes, you have to go to relative extremes. 300g of protein per day, and 4-5,000 calories should get him gaining. Less than 4,000 calories isn't that much for a hardgainer who exercises and will probably result in slow if any meaningful progress for someone who is "desperately" trying to gain weight.

But sure, take the moderate, approach of eating not more than 200g of protein and 3,000 calories, and see whether you're 15 lbs. heavier in 3 months.

Also, I personally started bodybuilding while weighing 155 lbs. at 6' when I was 17. My top weight was 238 and I'm always reasonably lean. Right now I've been off gear since 2005 (and have hypogonadism) and currently weigh between 215 and 220 with 17 inch arms cold and my bodyfat is around 11-13% by caliper.

When I bulked up from 180 lbs in spring of 2015 to 235 lbs. in winter 2015 it wasn't by eating chicken and rice, and limiting my protein intake. I'm bulking now again also and although I'm doing a clean ("healthy food") bulk I'm still hitting at least 4-5,000 calories on training days and a minimum of 300g of protein per day.

Which is exactly why I said your post was subjective. Cause this is what YOU did and what worked for YOU.

14. What's your point? I was a hardgainer originally also. Should I suggest things that didn't work for me?
  15. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Justlooking5 View Post
    What's your point? I was a hardgainer originally also. Should I suggest things that didn't work for me?
    Not at all brother, we all got from A to B on very different workout routines and diets

Every method that was successful has its merits, I just wish it was "one size fits all"

OP should add calories 100%
    It will be up to his dietary preferences how that happens and hopefully he checks back in with us so we can see what did or didn't work for him

Trial and error was a big part of my first 2-3 years

16. Quote Originally Posted by Pinggolfee96 View Post
    The guy weighs 175......300 grams of protein is unnecessary and expensive....
    And telling someone to up their calories to 4-5000 is very subjective.
    I try to eat about 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight to bulk. That's also what Doggcrapp recommends, and I've had my best size gains using his methods (for > a decade). 300g of protein is less than 2g/lbs for him.

Getting in 4-5000cal is going to be difficult. With the diet I am currently in, I gained about 18lbs in 5 months.. that was definitely my newbie gains.. if I force myself to eat that muchfrom the get-go, I know t will not go down well.. I have tried that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Driven2lift View Post
    Protein is expensive, and outside of AAS use 2g/lb. is excessive IMO

Protein requirements drop on a bulk with excess calories, and are higher while on a deficit (to maintain and repair lean mass)

I see you are firm on your stance that it is your personal preference but I wouldn't suggest it to another person I haven't been coaching and monitoring...

Plus is it far easier to eat carbs and fat for calories, and calories is what is needed here
    Yeah 2gm/lb could be excessive for my body. I am thinking more on carbs and fats..

What is OP's fat intake? @jtmass

Your opening post with a typical diet layout looks almost fat-free
    Not fat free.. I do take whole milk and yogurt everyday. Few days in a week, peanut butter and walnuts..

Excessive how?

I agree total calories is more important but I tend to err on overdoing it a bit possibly than not going far enough. '

Also, if you add up the protein in the diet he posted, it looks like he may already be getting over 200g/day. If he's not gaining on that, I would suggest upping both total calories and total protein.
    He will gain on extra calories, regardless of the macronutrient

200/day is plenty to grow, but adding more does not mean more lean mass for him, so he may as well enjoy some carbs while also saving his wallet

With protein being the most satiating macro (per calorie) it is arguably the worst to increase while he is "desperate to bulk up" and struggling with it

I think he just needs to become accustomed to eating more
    I really need to get accustomed to eating more.. that's why, I am going to gradually increase my intake.. say, in about a month..

Not at all brother, we all got from A to B on very different workout routines and diets

Every method that was successful has its merits, I just wish it was "one size fits all"

OP should add calories 100%
    It will be up to his dietary preferences how that happens and hopefully he checks back in with us so we can see what did or didn't work for him

Trial and error was a big part of my first 2-3 years

17. Eat 300 calories over maintenance

18. You're not going to bulk on chicken and rice. Eat pasta, beef, Whole eggs. Homemade mass gainers are great. I have 2/day myself.
  19. Desperate to bulk up.

3 slices center cut bacon
    1/2 cup egg white (cooked in bacon fat)
    1/4 cut shredded cheese
    Lactose free milk (Kroger carbmaster milk)
    *psyllium husk with meal

50g cho from either couscous (favorite grain) red skin potato or basmati rice
    Season meat of choice
    *digestive enzyme with meal

Protein w/lactose free chocolate milk

Shish-kabob with grain/potato of choice
    *digestive enzyme with meal

Deli sandwhich with lentil chips

Fiber bar & pb&j with lactose free milk (Kroger carbmaster milk)
    Psalms 62:1-62:2

20. Quote Originally Posted by throneof View Post
    You're not going to bulk on chicken and rice. Eat pasta, beef, Whole eggs. Homemade mass gainers are great. I have 2/day myself.
    Whole eggs are part of my daily diet. Beef once in a while. Pasta; rarely. Thanks for the suggestion. Just tired of eating rice.

21. Wanted to update you guys about the progress I made. Increased 3lbs in 2 weeks. I have added MyProtein Instant Oats to my supplement stack. Thanks for all the suggestions. Cheat meals feel a lot better now.

22. Quote Originally Posted by jtmass View Post
    Wanted to update you guys about the progress I made. Increased 3lbs in 2 weeks. I have added MyProtein Instant Oats to my supplement stack. Thanks for all the suggestions. Cheat meals feel a lot better now.
    I'm still confused about this and your position on why you need to impose cheat meals when you're bulking?? Your perspective towards food seems a little skewed. I'm cutting and I have some "cheat" everyday

23. Quote Originally Posted by Pinggolfee96 View Post
    I'm still confused about this and your position on why you need to impose cheat meals when you're bulking?? Your perspective towards food seems a little skewed. I'm cutting and I have some "cheat" everyday
    Give a read to the previous comments.. my problem was cheat meals and eating a lot. I am just getting used to cheat meals now.

24. I don't know what's in your homemade Gainer Shake but it sounds like you're just not eating enough food overall and I would definitely up your protein intake for sure if you're trying to gain muscle, that my simple answer. Keep it clean.

25. Quote Originally Posted by GainsCoach View Post
    I don't know what's in your homemade Gainer Shake but it sounds like you're just not eating enough food overall and I would definitely up your protein intake for sure if you're trying to gain muscle, that my simple answer. Keep it clean.
    Looks like I am eating enough. Just gained 3lbs in 2weeks. I call that progress
  •