Cheap meals, good results

getbigMF

getbigMF

Awards
So I'm looking at insanely cheap meals to take to work with me. I'm talking a couple bucks a day. I'm looking for something around 4 meals + snack, breakfast and post workout eaten at home, with 210g protein 70g fat and around 300g carbs.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Where do you live? I'm usually able to hit my macros with $8-$10 per day when the sales at the grocery store are in my favor. Here's my quick list.

Cheap protein: eggs, chicken breast (on sale $1.99/lb), canned tuna, plain greek yogurt
Cheap carbs: oatmeal, bulk rice, wheat bread
Fats: Peanut butter, olive oil

Fiber/greens: iceberg lettuce, cabbage, frozen broccoli, frozen green beans

Stick to store brands and buy in bulk, and you should be able to make it work for less than what I spend. Check out the Universal Nutrition Videos on Youtube - they have a whole "big on a budget" video series that's loaded with some solid ideas.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I grabbed boneless skinless chicken breast the other day for like 1.79lb. Threw 5lbs in slowcooker with a dry rub and 1/2 cup water. Made a ton of shredded chicken. Super easy and can be used in many different ways.

H

hsk

Awards
  • Established
As the other poster mentioned just buy the basics in bulk and grab store brands whenever possible to save some money. If possible buy from a club store such as Costco or Sams Club to increase savings.

Protein: Whole eggs, boneless skinless chicken thighs, pork loin, canned tuna, sardines
Carbs: White rice, wholes oats, potatoes
Fats: Olive oil, coconut oil, butter
Greens/Fiber: broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, celery, cucumber

getbigMF

getbigMF

Awards
I grabbed boneless skinless chicken breast the other day for like 1.79lb. Threw 5lbs in slowcooker with a dry rub and 1/2 cup water. Made a ton of shredded chicken. Super easy and can be used in many different ways.
That's a good idea I have one, I need to get it out sometime.

getbigMF

getbigMF

Awards
I live in Indiana, I do the basics at home but more looking for something new. I think my body is burnt out on plain foods lol

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So I'm looking at insanely cheap meals to take to work with me. I'm talking a couple bucks a day. I'm looking for something around 4 meals + snack, breakfast and post workout eaten at home, with 210g protein 70g fat and around 300g carbs.
I am the king of cheap!

For protein I would look into eggs, chicken breast (1.99 per pound), plain non fat Greek yogurt (1.99/lb) and even tilapia (2.50 per pound). I would not suggest tuna as it is more expensive per pound when you do the math out.

For carbs, both for price and conveince, I would suggest rice, sweet potatoes, rice cakes, oatmeal, cream of wheat.

For fats, oils, peanut butter and nuts.

Here are some sample meals that I prefer for work and I take on a weekly basis.

Everything I suggested could be made at once and you only need to prep once per week. For the sweet potatoes, buy a rice cooker with a steaming basket. You could cook both the rice and sweet potatoes at once or even steam veggies while the rice is cooking. Chicken, buy a slow cooker and you can cook a lot in a period of time which you do not need to stay in the chicken.

If your body is burnt out from plain foods, just lean how to use spices and seasonings. Learning how to enhance the flavor of plain, boring foods can go a long way. "Healthy" foods do not need to be boring. Also, marinade you meat overnight and add some sauces if needed.

getbigMF

getbigMF

Awards
I am the king of cheap!

For protein I would look into eggs, chicken breast (1.99 per pound), plain non fat Greek yogurt (1.99/lb) and even tilapia (2.50 per pound). I would not suggest tuna as it is more expensive per pound when you do the math out.

For carbs, both for price and conveince, I would suggest rice, sweet potatoes, rice cakes, oatmeal, cream of wheat.

For fats, oils, peanut butter and nuts.

Here are some sample meals that I prefer for work and I take on a weekly basis.

Everything I suggested could be made at once and you only need to prep once per week. For the sweet potatoes, buy a rice cooker with a steaming basket. You could cook both the rice and sweet potatoes at once or even steam veggies while the rice is cooking. Chicken, buy a slow cooker and you can cook a lot in a period of time which you do not need to stay in the chicken.

If your body is burnt out from plain foods, just lean how to use spices and seasonings. Learning how to enhance the flavor of plain, boring foods can go a long way. "Healthy" foods do not need to be boring. Also, marinade you meat overnight and add some sauces if needed.
Thank you very much Antm1564 I'm going to get my show cooker out tomorrow I have 5 lbs of chicken I need to do something with.