Raw oats? Am I nuts?

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
Anyone else throw raw oats in a blender with some other good sht to make a gains shake? Or am I just stupid. Do raw oats even absorb properly?

HPGuitar

HPGuitar

Awards
I add raw oats to my daily mid morning shake. I will either grind them up with a coffee grinder or just add them into the blender whole. I typically use 3/4 cup oats, 1 cup milk, 1 banana, 1 scoop protein, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 1 tbsp ground flax, and some cinnamon.

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
I add raw oats to my daily mid morning shake. I will either grind them up with a coffee grinder or just add them into the blender whole. I typically use 3/4 cup oats, 1 cup milk, 1 banana, 1 scoop protein, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 1 tbsp ground flax, and some cinnamon.
Nice!

I'm usually a cup of oats. Banana, chocolate whey. 200g egg whites or 3 whole eggs. And 2 tbsp PB. Once in the morning an hour after my half serving of gainer. And once about an hour before a workout

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nice!

I'm usually a cup of oats. Banana, chocolate whey. 200g egg whites or 3 whole eggs. And 2 tbsp PB. Once in the morning an hour after my half serving of gainer. And once about an hour before a workout
Make sure the egg whites are cooked or pasteurized and digestible raw.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The ones I get say pasteurized on the carton. I think it even says "great for shakes" somewhere too!
Carton ones are usually good. Just when people crack them straight from a egg is usually the problem.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I sometimes do this too haha. Good to know
We cannot digest the raw egg whites. There is a study behind it and it's amazing how little is absorbed when you eat them raw.

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
We cannot digest the raw egg whites. There is a study behind it and it's amazing how little is absorbed when you eat them raw.
I actually remember reading this years ago. I feel like for some reason I just chose to ignore it! Haha. But now that you brought it up at an age where I am no longer an idiot I think ill def take a different approach

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Just a word of caution - you may very well have excessive intestinal gas while your body adjusts to the raw oats.

Really.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I have had oat shakes every day for breakfast for the last 10 years or so. These days it's 200g oats, 700ml water and a 40g WPI as my basic breakfast recipe. Pretty bland but I wash it down fast. You can easily improve the flavour and hike calories by adding yoghurt, peanut butter or fruit on a bulk and/or substituting water with milk. My shakes used to come in at 2000 calories a pop in my early 20's. I'd drink those 2x a day plus binge on everything and anything inbetween. Poop bigger than an elephant but never get my BW much above a lean 180lb. A hyper metabolism was the issue. I'm very happy to have slowed down at 30 and focus more on training and gaining muscle on far less calories.

BTW, whey protein prevents oats from turning to a starchy goop. You can get away with adding less liquids this way too. I've left the protein out by mistake and noticed if I don't drink my shake right away it quickly thickens into a slimey goop.

I used to make tuna shakes too when out of protein but they weren't particularly tasty

200g tuna
2 tblsp peanut butter
200g oats
1l milk
4 eggs

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Raw oats are a great way to add calories into a shake, I did this a lot back in college. Now I'll cook my oatmeal if I have the time, because its delicious haha. But adding raw oats into a protein shake is an excellent way to make a low glycemic high quality mass gainer. Way cheaper too

Jeremy Lifts

Jeremy Lifts

Awards
I used to do it all the time. Very quick and easy way to get carbs in. Glad you posted this because I need to start again.

MikeG5

MikeG5

Awards
Yeah I love them. Actually adds a lot of flavor in my opinion even though oats are so plain. And adds thickness which I like. I thought you were saying you've eaten raw oats out of a bowl, which I've don't and actually like. I make like my own little oat trail mix. In a bowl - raw oats, craisins, nuts, that's it. So good. Just need some water to wash down the raw oats lol.

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yup i add it in with potatoe starch, bananna , egg whites

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Bloody making me hungry. I love the idea of making your own oat trail mix. It's so expensive to buy premade

jonnyroyal86

Awards
What works best for me. 1 cup oats in nutri ninja, grind to fine powder. Get big blender add milk, oj, banana, peanut butter,strawberries, n ice. Blend and start adding my oats n protein. Blend till smooth. Tweak your creations, to your liking.

coltonwalker

coltonwalker

Awards
What works best for me. 1 cup oats in nutri ninja, grind to fine powder. Get big blender add milk, oj, banana, peanut butter,strawberries, n ice. Blend and start adding my oats n protein. Blend till smooth. Tweak your creations, to your liking.
Second the pre blending to make it finer.

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
Do you use quick oats or regular oats? I have about 30lbs of quick oats from Costco that I use.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Do you use quick oats or regular oats? I have about 30lbs of quick oats from Costco that I use.
You can grind up the quick oats or regular oats. Quick oats blend better IMO, and they're easier to chew raw if you don't blend them. I prefer old fashioned oats if I'm cooking them and eating them, but raw I prefer quick oats

HPGuitar

HPGuitar

Awards
I also buy a large quick oats box from Costco. I have used both though. Quick oats blend better than regular unless I grind them first.

Tylerfife71

Tylerfife71

Banned
Awards
Gooood idea

jonnyroyal86

Awards
I use regular oats right now. But also use quick, I just alternate .

Devonkev

Awards
Oats for the win! I also use the milling blade on a nutribullet to pre grind oats to a powder so I can have oats and protein with some milled flax in a shaker with me when I go out or to work. Good just add water meal.

bigmacdaddy18

bigmacdaddy18

Awards
Yes, a trick I learned from my buddy IFBB Pro Peter Putnam. I mix oats, water, protein powder and honey. Great mid afternoon shake.

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Oats, whey, banana, and walnuts every morning. Keeps me full for 3 hours.

Pryme

Awards
I have blended raw old fashioned oats for years. Now I have a Vitamix and it blends anything to a fine liquid, even seeds.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Optimum 9200A second gen. It's the predecessor to the new 9400 but with a beefed up motor to oust it's successor in performance. Runs at 3.5hp and 48,000rpm mated to a 6 blade. Will turn oats into a creamy soup in a few seconds.

That_One_Bro

That_One_Bro

Awards
I get my oats pre ground up in powder form. Much easier and less messy!
My protein has em for really cheap and they are 11lb bags.

DonutGains89

DonutGains89

Awards
I use quick oats, old fashioned oats eat them both raw, or cook them in water. Or blend them in a shake with fruity pebbles, Myofusion protein powder (taste great), natty pb, banana, some cinnamon and ice cubes. Taste great homemade weight gainer shake done. Then once down start counting down the time till I get to eat again haha

Apsmith4992

Apsmith4992

Awards
  • Established
I drink raw oats and 6 raw egg whites in a blender every single morning. Been working wonders, ton of protein and damn near no fat

Duality29

Duality29

Awards
Can't go wrong with blended Raw oats. Or boil those things and add some cinnamon sugar!