8oz chicken
Cup brown rice
1/3 cup black beans
Two eggs on top
Cup of broccoli
Half cup cauliflower
Carrots

Fourth meal
Another shake as listed before(meal one)

Fifth meal
5oz salmon
Cup and a half couscous

Sixth meal
Same as third meal

Seventh snack
Low fat cottage cheese before bed

With all this I can't really seem to get the scale to go my way and pack on weight. I'm currently doing the stronglifts5x5 program. I'm currently at 14% bf which is honestly the only thing I've notice go up not my overall weight.

Please suggestions

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Dang that's a lot of food! Other than the milk and eggs, it doesn't look like you're getting much fat in your diet. I would shoot to add in a serving of health fats (olive oil, pb, almonds) with some of your meals. Healthy fats are a great way to add in more calories which is what you need to see that scale move. Diet overall looks pretty solid though, have you counted the total macros per day?

Rndmher

Rndmher

Awards
Yeah I put in my fitness pal. It says like 3500 cal and the macro is about 40carb 25fat 35 protein. I forgot to add I put a scoop of pb in the shakes too. I've been bulking for like over a year started at 175. You think its possible to burn yourself out ok bulking? I'm still only at 14% bf

Rndmher

Rndmher

Awards
Oh my b the Marco breakdown is also 240carbs 99fats 311protein.

Killcure666

Awards
I don't think it's possible to burn yourself out bulking. What your experiencing is adaptive thermogenesis.

As you've gained weight you have gained muscle tissue and increased your body's metabolic rate so your body burns more calories now. In order to keep gaining weight you have to increase your calories as you gain weight due to the increased metabolic demand.

Go up by 300-500kcal and you should be well on your way

Rndmher

Rndmher

Awards
Ok I'll try it for a week and see if I even see a modest increase. I honestly already feel sick all the time because I'm constantly stuffed. I may just throw in a meal thats not that healthy so I don't feel so full.
Think that's a bad idea? It'd still be like 90% while foods

7eman7

7eman7

Awards
  • Established
It's really quite simple man, eat more lol. I love when guys say "I eat so much and still don't gain weight!" Well clearly your eating maintenance cals if your weight isn't moving... whether that's 2000 cals or 5000 cals everyone is different.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
You think its possible to burn yourself out ok bulking? I'm still only at 14% bf
I wish I had your problem haha. I look at food and get fat lol. The advice given in here is great though. It's difficult for some guys to get in enough food, but if you're consistently eating in a surplus you will gain weight. Up the intake 300-400 cals per day and see how it goes. Choose calorie dense foods that are easy to eat, like almonds or trail mix. Healthy snacks like that are an easy way to get in an extra few hundred calories each day

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You have to remember, in order to gain or lose one pound you need to be in surplus/deficit of 3500 cals

With every meal, grab another handful of nuts or something of the like, don't gorge but as mentioned, add a few more calories and go from there..

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
try adding olive oil into your shakes... huge bump in cals, very minimal taste (especially with pb in there) and tons of cals that wont take up any stomach room

7eman7

7eman7

Awards
  • Established
You have to remember, in order to gain or lose one pound you need to be in surplus/deficit of 3500 cals

With every meal, grab another handful of nuts or something of the like, don't gorge but as mentioned, add a few more calories and go from there..
I don't believe in this 3500 rule... everyone's caloric requirements are completely different I know guys who can put on muscle eating as low as 2500 cals a day.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I don't believe in this 3500 rule... everyone's caloric requirements are completely different I know guys who can put on muscle eating as low as 2500 cals a day.
3500 is a weekly caloric value... thus where the 500/day is always cmoing from

flexdaddyraf

flexdaddyraf

Awards
try adding olive oil into your shakes... huge bump in cals, very minimal taste (especially with pb in there) and tons of cals that wont take up any stomach room
Damn I've never tried olive oil in my shakes lol you really don't taste anything?

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Damn I've never tried olive oil in my shakes lol you really don't taste anything?
If you add 1-2 tbsp you won't taste it at all, but make sure you blend it up for a minute or two. If you add a lot its possible that you'll taste it, but you'd have to add A LOT. I always go for peanut butter in my shakes. I'm addicted to the stuff

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
not if your shake has any amount of flavor to it. Quality evoo has minimal flavor to begin with. If you're concerned, use coconut oil instead

flexdaddyraf

flexdaddyraf

Awards
If you add 1-2 tbsp you won't taste it at all, but make sure you blend it up for a minute or two. If you add a lot its possible that you'll taste it, but you'd have to add A LOT. I always go for peanut butter in my shakes. I'm addicted to the stuff
Ima have to try that lol I usually do coconut oil but it's gives it a weird texture lol

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Ima have to try that lol I usually do coconut oil but it's gives it a weird texture lol
Yeah, you'll get a somewhat strange texture with Olive Oil too. Just use PB or almond butter. Or almonds are a good choice too

Rndmher

Rndmher

Awards
Bruh I tried olive oil today it was kinda gross ha ha felt like the parts were sliding down my throat weird sensation but it's alot of extra calls and minimal effort

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Bruh I tried olive oil today it was kinda gross ha ha felt like the parts were sliding down my throat weird sensation but it's alot of extra calls and minimal effort
Hahah it changes the consistency a little bit depending on what you have in the shake. But for the amount of easy calories you can't go wrong

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
As flexdaddyraf pointed out, you could try 2 tbs of coconut oil in your shakes. That will add 234 calories, and you wont have that gross feeling. However, if you add ice to your shakes the coconut oil can tend to lump up.

One thing that has not been mentioned is to "reset" your system. Since you have been bulking so long, your body has become accustom to a high surplus. If you scaled back, you would drop some fat/lbs, but on the rebound you should be able to gain weight with less calories.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Classic plateau. You need to up your calories as mentioned and don't be afraid to take a week off. Your issue is really genetic. Some people will end up with a round stomach with increased calories. Make sure you increase your medium intensity cardio in the beginning. If you just want weight and don't mind the fat/round stomach then taper off the cardio.

Your diet is great, but seems like a lot of work. Feel free to simplify it by making food in bulk and carrying it with you.

Lee_Westwood

Lee_Westwood

Awards
Another angle is to lower your 311 protein to say 260 and bump your CHO by the 50 you reduced from your protein .. 311gs is a lot for a 200lb guy

Lee_Westwood

Lee_Westwood

Awards
Rndmher carbohydrates .. its the abbreviation for it lol sorry

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Ok I'll try it for a week and see if I even see a modest increase. I honestly already feel sick all the time because I'm constantly stuffed. I may just throw in a meal thats not that healthy so I don't feel so full.
Think that's a bad idea? It'd still be like 90% while foods
I can relate. I was able to pick up about 6lbs but it grossed me out so much I took a mini cut for two days and fasted half the day and ate salad the second half. my daily meals were similar to yours, i added milk after years of not drinking milk as well. but after a couple weeks it just grossed me out. woke up in the morning feeling stuffed still.

Another angle is to lower your 311 protein to say 260 and bump your CHO by the 50 you reduced from your protein .. 311gs is a lot for a 200lb guy
I had the same exact thought. rotate the carb and protein numbers.

what other supps are you taking? Creatine/ZMA/Multi Vit/ etc?

my overall questions are:
how long have you been doing this 'bulk'
and are you seeing strength gains?

I sounds like you feel your BF% has gone up even though the scale hasn't. if i understand your posts right.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
Throw some junk into your diet like pizza and fried chicken.

Rndmher

Rndmher

Awards
I can relate. I was able to pick up about 6lbs but it grossed me out so much I took a mini cut for two days and fasted half the day and ate salad the second half. my daily meals were similar to yours, i added milk after years of not drinking milk as well. but after a couple weeks it just grossed me out. woke up in the morning feeling stuffed still.

I had the same exact thought. rotate the carb and protein numbers.

what other supps are you taking? Creatine/ZMA/Multi Vit/ etc?

my overall questions are:
how long have you been doing this 'bulk'
and are you seeing strength gains?

I sounds like you feel your BF% has gone up even though the scale hasn't. if i understand your posts right.
Sry I didn't realize someone responsed on this thread let's see, I take zma, multi vitimans, triblius, fish oil, and am on test cyp (200 every other week). It's gonna sound crazy but I've been trying to bulk for like a year. I'm about to just say eff it and just eat everything in sight. My bf is around 13

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
how is that trib treating you? I tried trib last march and i developed some real bad issues. shortness of breath, anxiety attacks. things I had never once experienced before. I ended up on an EKG, lol. needless to say I dont take Tribulus anymore.

Rndmher

Rndmher

Awards
how is that trib treating you? I tried trib last march and i developed some real bad issues. shortness of breath, anxiety attacks. things I had never once experienced before. I ended up on an EKG, lol. needless to say I dont take Tribulus anymore.
Yeah the one I got was from like real foods or some **** and honestly I've noticed zero difference but I'm just gonna finish it up on the off chance that it's actually doing anything.

As for the bulk I've decided to relax how clean I'm eating, my bf hasn't really change the whole time and I loose fat really fast when I'm trying to so eff it I'll tack on some more.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
As flexdaddyraf pointed out, you could try 2 tbs of coconut oil in your shakes. That will add 234 calories, and you wont have that gross feeling. However, if you add ice to your shakes the coconut oil can tend to lump up.

One thing that has not been mentioned is to "reset" your system. Since you have been bulking so long, your body has become accustom to a high surplus. If you scaled back, you would drop some fat/lbs, but on the rebound you should be able to gain weight with less calories.
This^^

I remember in my mid 20's I'd worked my way up to eating/drinking 6000 cals a day and couldn't gain an ounce. I took some collosal dumps but couldn't break 190lbs. Taking a break from stuffing my face cured it. Once you've taken a break at maintenance for a week or so load up on the cals but don't keep things consistent on a daily basis. Calculate your weekly surplus and meet that goal but make sure you have some low cal days in between to keep your body from adapting to a surplus. This also helps with feeling "stuffed" all day. Some of us are blessed with bodies which are extremely efficient at maintaining homeostasis. Just have to put in the extra effort to keep the body guessing. If you've been on stronglifts 5x5 for an extended period it may also be worthwhile switching things up there too.

Tylerfife71

Tylerfife71

Banned
Awards
Same here

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R1balla Bulking 5
Anabolics 14
Training Forum 8
Bulking 6
Bulking 16