Nutrition macros

Tinyme

Awards
How long do you stay on a diet plan?

ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1471812497.241454.jpg

At first I was 165lbs and I followed those macros...if I'm 170lbs now do I bump the protein to 170g?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not necessarily. Many argue you can consume .8-1g per # LBM. I've read others say that's not even necessary.

I'd calculate what the percentages of your calories are each macro and up calories 100-200/day and keeping the same percentages. This is assuming you are happy with the way you've progressed on this diet.

Killcure666

Awards
I agree with RegisterJr, protein is grossly over consumed and this is because supplement companies and mainstream bodybuilding have brainwashed us all to believing we need absurd amounts of protein from the 1.0-2.0g per lbs range.

Science points to 0.6-1.0g being optimal for growth and recovery in athletes. I've found that by decreasing my protein from 2.0g per lbs to 0.8-1.0g per lbs I feel better and look better.

More is not always better with protein!

Tinyme

Awards
So do people redo macros every month if they gained 4lbs or lost 4lbs?

Killcure666

Awards
They adjust slightly. A huge part of nutrition is getting to know your own body and how it reacts to food. If you're no longer getting the results you want, that is when you redo and adjust macros

What is your primary goal?

Tinyme

Awards
Im trying to bulk up. I redid the macros and came out to this

170p/322c/68f
2580kcals

Tinyme

Awards
Is this ok as long as I hit my macros?

Shake in morning
2 meals at work
Gym
Shake
Meal 3

Reason for shake in the am is because it's hard for me to eat early...I was thinking a shake with a banana blended? Or is there any shake with carbs and protein I can make in the morning to take?

Killcure666

Awards
That should work perfectly fine. Hit your macros and eat as many servings of fruit and veggies as you can throughout the day.

A great bulking shake in the morning would be a banana, scoop of protein powder, 1/2 cup oats and milk. 2tbsp peanut butter could also be added, that optional though and you can easily vary the amounts of the ingredients to meet your macro goals

Tinyme

Awards
That shake sounds easy to drink lol.
The fruit and veggies do you count that into your macros too? Like a banana has 25g carbs would that be counted into my carbs for the day?

For my carbs can I eat just rice and potatoes?

The fats from olive oil, mixed nuts and peanut butter?

Killcure666

Awards
That shake is very easy to drink! Use chocolate protein powder or throw in a tbsp of cocoa for an even more delicious PB cup like gain shake!

Definitely count the macros from the fruit! It usually isn't necessary to count the vegetables since fibrous veggies are usually very low calorie but it might help you keep track of how much fiber you are consuming since the average american grossly under consumes fiber and overly consumes sugar.

For carbs you could just eat rice and potatoes. Quinoa is good too, as well as fruit and oatmeal.
Those are great sources of fat! Also avocados, animal fat in meat, milk fat. Just shoot for whole healthy foods while hitting your macronutrient goals and you should be good. Avoid foods that come packaged and eat as much fruit, veggies, lean meats and whole grains as you can

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
How long do you stay on a diet plan?

View attachment 139375

At first I was 165lbs and I followed those macros...if I'm 170lbs now do I bump the protein to 170g?
To continue to grow we need to progressively eat. How to go about this can be tricky but I think it should always be in response to training performance, how you feel, hunger levels and what kind of weight the body seems to be gaining.

Sometimes you might need to increase food every few days, other times you might stay at the same calories for a couple weeks - just depends on progress.

Tinyme

Awards
I guess I have to learn how my body reacts. Is it true where we don't have to eat 6-8 meals a day...just as long as I hit the macros for the day?

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
I guess I have to learn how my body reacts. Is it true where we don't have to eat 6-8 meals a day...just as long as I hit the macros for the day?

Yes that is true at its fundamental level. Your total energy and macronutrient intake each day is the most critical component and will make up for the vast majority of your progress.

Now research is finally starting to show (as well as ample anecdotal evidence has shown) that meal timing, especially timing of protein to maximize muscle protein synthesis throughout the entire day, is important.

Now it is not something to obsess over because like I said, the majority of your gains will come from consistently getting all of your macros and calories in daily.

BUT I do believe we can optimize muscle growth when playing with meal timing - something like consuming a meal every 2-5 hours that contains 30-40g of protein to simulate MPS. If we do this throughout our day we will activate MPS more then say eating only 2-3 times a day.

But that won't make a night and day difference - the difference would be seen over the long haul.

Tinyme

Awards
Yes that is true at its fundamental level. Your total energy and macronutrient intake each day is the most critical component and will make up for the vast majority of your progress.

Now research is finally starting to show (as well as ample anecdotal evidence has shown) that meal timing, especially timing of protein to maximize muscle protein synthesis throughout the entire day, is important.

Now it is not something to obsess over because like I said, the majority of your gains will come from consistently getting all of your macros and calories in daily.

BUT I do believe we can optimize muscle growth when playing with meal timing - something like consuming a meal every 2-5 hours that contains 30-40g of protein to simulate MPS. If we do this throughout our day we will activate MPS more then say eating only 2-3 times a day.

But that won't make a night and day difference - the difference would be seen over the long haul.
Thanks bro!

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Thanks bro!

Yessir man, let us know what else we can help you with if you have questions.

And keep us updated on how it goes and your progress, I would love to know as time goes on!

Tinyme

Awards
Yessir man, let us know what else we can help you with if you have questions.

And keep us updated on how it goes and your progress, I would love to know as time goes on!
Will do.

Another question I forgot to ask...
For the macros
1g x weight protein
.3-.5 x weight fat
Fill the rest with carbs?

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Will do.

Another question I forgot to ask...
For the macros
1g x weight protein
.3-.5 x weight fat
Fill the rest with carbs?
That would be a great starting point. I would do that and follow it strictly for 1-2 weeks and see how does the body respond, how it effects training performance and recovery.

Take progress pictures every 2-4 days, just a simple front shot and rear shot, something like a front double bicep and rear double bicep, and compare sets of pics to see what happens.