College kid on budget HELP!

AllTheGainz

Awards
I need some decent tasting meals I can make using chicken and pasta cause that's what I have a lot of. Have some ground beef as well but I'm running out of ideas and my mom doesn't cook well so I didn't get any recipes from her. I have 10 lbs of rice also if that helps out.

I caulculated my BMR using the formula
BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

And I got 3,411 cal a day then if I multiply that by my activity factor (1.6) I get 5458 which seems EXTREMLY high for me. Anyone else have this issue? I don't typically calulate anything, I just know in general how much I'm eating but I want to be more exact now. Doesn't add up tho.

JP10

JP10

Awards
Just search the forum a little

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/recipes/283618-favorite-way-cook.html

When I eat chicken 95% of the time it's with white rice and broccoli. Both very cheap. I have a 25lb bag of rice. Usually do 6-8oz of chicken per meal.

Chicken salad is also a good route to go, there's a recipe on that link I posted. I will get 40cal bread(has like 7g of fiber and only 6g of carbs)

As for the ground beef I usually season with either low sodium taco seasoning(can get very cheap at the store) or a chipotle lime seasoning. Mix it together with rice and black beans, the throw in some hot sauce. Usually 6oz of ground bean(Lean or I will use lean ground turkey). Rice and Beans are dirt cheap.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like to make a chicken stirfry with veggies. Cheap, easy, tasty.

Also, if you have an Aldi, you can get eggs for like .70

AllTheGainz

Awards
I like to make a chicken stirfry with veggies. Cheap, easy, tasty.

Also, if you have an Aldi, you can get eggs for like .70
I'm stuck with Kroger. And I have tons of taco seasoning so I'll be using that religiously. Never realize how expensive it is get 200g of protein a day untill you have to pay for the food.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm stuck with Kroger. And I have tons of taco seasoning so I'll be using that religiously. Never realize how expensive it is get 200g of protein a day untill you have to pay for the food.
Watch your sodium.

It's not too bad, actually. Kroger often has fire sales on beats and bone-in chicken for .88/lb

I usually do eggs, jalapeños, bell peppers, onions, spinach, low fat cheese, turkey crumbles with salsa. Tortillas for carbs.

Chicken, rice, veggies, and pineapple mango salsa for lunch.

Dinner varies. Get 180 a day at 2600 cals

AllTheGainz

Awards
Watch your sodium.

It's not too bad, actually. Kroger often has fire sales on beats and bone-in chicken for .88/lb

I usually do eggs, jalapeños, bell peppers, onions, spinach, low fat cheese, turkey crumbles with salsa. Tortillas for carbs.

Chicken, rice, veggies, and pineapple mango salsa for lunch.

Dinner varies. Get 180 a day at 2600 cals
I throw everything in my fitness pal now, so I can know how much I'm eating. I'm hitting about 3400 cal a day shooting for 200g protein. Just don't think I'm eating enough but I'll have to see, never tracked cals so strictly.

Kroger had a nice sale on pasta, 10 boxes for $10.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I throw everything in my fitness pal now, so I can know how much I'm eating. I'm hitting about 3400 cal a day shooting for 200g protein. Just don't think I'm eating enough but I'll have to see, never tracked cals so strictly.

Kroger had a nice sale on pasta, 10 boxes for $10.
You drink coffee?

Two scoops protein + coffee in a blender = fantastic

AllTheGainz

Awards
You drink coffee?

Two scoops protein + coffee in a blender = fantastic
No but I need to haha. That sounds pretty good. I just down a protein shake in the morning when I wake up

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No but I need to haha. That sounds pretty good. I just down a protein shake in the morning when I wake up
I've used chocolate, latte, and caramel variations of protein with 8-10 oz hot coffee. Good over ice too

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I used to always premix cold coffee and protein to drink at work in the afternoons. Tasty afternoon pick-me-up.

JP10

JP10

Awards
IMG_0792.JPG

I buy bulk protein.
If you got $50 a week you're good to go. This is my receipt from yesterday
2x Ground Turkey, rice, beans -> 6 meals
2x Chicken, rice, broccoli -> 6 meals
Eggs, ham, cheese -> 4 meals (Eat before bed)
Yogurt -> 4 meals (Eat before bed)
Protein Bars -> Snacks
Breakfast sandwhich -> Morning Snack
Protein Cereal or Oatmeal, and a protein shake -> Breakfast meals
Peanut Butter -> With everything because I love peaunut butter haha
Protein Shake -> After Workout Snack lol

Brandaddy

Brandaddy

Awards
My groceries will costs like $50 a week max.

9 dozen eggs
7 gallons of milk
7 boxes instant brown rice
2 bags of chicken breast
2 bags sweet corn
2 bags sweet peas
2 boxes of fiber bars
2 boxes of protein bars
2 bags of golden potatoes
1lb of butter

At aldi's that is dirt cheap, eggs are $0.40 a dozen, milk is $1.20 a gallon. Gives me enough to eat 700+ grams of carbs a day, 150+ grams of fats, and 250+ grams of protein.

If you really want to go cheap, you can do what we did in prison. Buy a bunch of ramen noodles, some cheap cheese, a few bags of chips, eggs, whole milk, and whatever meat is on sale. Cook a couple ramen, after its cooked, put the seasoning in, then shred the cheese and put it in, dice up the meat and put that in, dice up a couple hard boiled eggs and throw them in, then crunch up the chips and throw them in.

You can make a 2,000+ calorie meal that way for less that $2. Doesn't taste too bad actually, but you're throwing all healthiness out the window! Ha

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
2 lb Chicken, Box of Penna pasta, 1- Tomato add All Purpose Greek Seasoning to taste. (you can add all kinds of vegetables to this as well.
You can make a big batch and it taste good cold as well for a quick meal with carbs and protein.

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Eggs are cheap, eat them all kinds of ways. If you like them hard boiled prepare a dozen and leave them in fridge for a quick snack.

AllTheGainz

Awards
Eggs are like 1.12 at Kroger for 24 which sucks, but 9 Dozen holy **** lol. Also eating tons of pasta and chicken. Throwing in some beef as well here and there to change things up. Will def have to try that tho stud, sounds pretty damn good.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Crock pot makes life easy. If you don't have one for some reason, grab one.

RealAJGreen

Awards
What's your bodyweight? No matter what your activity level is, even if training multiple times a day, should you be intaking 5400 cals. Focus more on your macros not caloric intake, trust me. I did a bulk last year where I was solely focused on caloric intake and I built a lot of muscle, but got really fat as well. I suggest more of a lean-year-round bulk unless you're competing.

AllTheGainz

Awards
What's your bodyweight? No matter what your activity level is, even if training multiple times a day, should you be intaking 5400 cals. Focus more on your macros not caloric intake, trust me. I did a bulk last year where I was solely focused on caloric intake and I built a lot of muscle, but got really fat as well. I suggest more of a lean-year-round bulk unless you're competing.
I was eating close to 6500 when I was competitively rowing. I'm eating about 3500 right now on a bulk and it's worki out pretty well I think.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
No problem staying with that is cheap man. It might be mundane but if it helps you get to where you want to be then go for it.

When I've been strapped for money chicken, protein powder, rice, oats and bagels were my staples.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Good advice so far. One thing most college kids don't do is hydrate properly and get enough sleep. The bulking triangle is Nutrition/Hydration- Workout - Sleep. Without any of those you wont make the right gains.

I would also buy shelled peanuts in bulk. They are unsalted and a pain to open, but you can pick up a big bag cheap.

TonyKush

TonyKush

Awards
Aldi is great for things. Whole milk 1.60$ 36 eggs for 3.00$. Just look around and find the best prices. And then for recipes YouTube is great especially for meal
Prepping and how to get the most for your buck!

Bmac63095

Bmac63095

Awards
Get a bottle of olive oil. Add a shot to all your meals

Allenfitz

Allenfitz

Banned
Awards
Brown rice,chicken,brokli,tuna&rice mixed & 1teaspoon natural peanut butter with protein shake.

Tylerfife71

Tylerfife71

Banned
Awards
Good ****

Jjjjjjj

Awards
Beans, rice, pasta are all super cheap high carb high protein foods. Eggs, canned tuna, pork, peanuts are all cheap high fat high protein foods (exception of tuna). Instead of buying chicken fillets buy a whole chicken and oven bake it (or turkey for that matter)- more bank for your buck.