Macros

crace23

Awards
I've been trying to bulk up recently and was just wondering around what my macros should be? I'm about 5'9" 175 right now. My current daily intake goes as follows: protein 240g , carbs 200g , fat stays around 70g. Any tips or suggestions would be awesome!

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
I am similar stats and I tend to leave my protein and fat the same and manipulate carbs to suit my goals

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Protein seems a bit high for your bodyweight. I typically aim for 1g per pound while bulking, and increase protein a bit while dieting. Fats are in a good spot IMO.

I would keep it consistent and monitor your body weight - aim to gain about 1 pound per week and BIG. If you're gaining weight, keep your macros where they are. If you're not gaining weight, add in 20-30g of carbs per day and keep an eye on your body weight and how you look in the mirror.

07tacoma

07tacoma

Awards
Good info from john.patterson I completely agree. I always over eat protein but other than that all sounds good. Just from past experience I'd be willing to bet your gonna have to get into the 400+ carb range to start gaining weight. I've done the 1lb per week bulk and it to nearly 700 carbs. Also eat clean 90% of the time.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Good info from john.patterson I completely agree. I always over eat protein but other than that all sounds good. Just from past experience I'd be willing to bet your gonna have to get into the 400+ carb range to start gaining weight. I've done the 1lb per week bulk and it to nearly 700 carbs. Also eat clean 90% of the time.
You lucky bastard. I wish I could eat that much hahah. I gain 1 pound a week on like... 250g of carbs haha.

07tacoma

07tacoma

Awards
Haha. Losing weight currently on 375c 62f 250p. Trying to lean bulk. Gotta go slow tho

jeffdog

Awards
so crace23 does that equal about 2500 calories per day?

jeffdog

Awards
wow--seems low for a bulk at your weight and maybe thats why the other guy said you might end up bumping your carbs up to start gaining weight...but honestly i dont know ****, trying to figure it all out...appreciate the info!

07tacoma

07tacoma

Awards
East thing to do is just be consistent with what ever your macros are weigh yourself every morning after you use the bathroom and at the end of the week add all weights up and divide by 7. If your gaining at the rate you want continue what your doing if not add 25-60 carbs which would be equal to 100-240 calories. Carbs=4 cals protein=4 cals fats=9 cals all per gram. I'm similar stats as OP and I'm maintaining at 423c 250p 68f

jeffdog

Awards
man, great info!...but who is OP? i only ask because i am wondering what your stats are so i can learn from yer macros.

07tacoma

07tacoma

Awards
I'm 5'9 about 170lbs right now 10%bf give or take. OP is crace23. Just pic a starting point take your weight times 1-1.5 for protein .3-.5 for your fats and fill the rest with carbs usually a good starting point is bodyweight x2.5 if look to gain.

jeffdog

Awards
I'm 5'9 about 170lbs right now 10%bf give or take. OP is crace23. Just pic a starting point take your weight times 1-1.5 for protein .3-.5 for your fats and fill the rest with carbs usually a good starting point is bodyweight x2.5 if look to gain.
wow! so at the same bw you are maintaining at 3300 calories while OP is trying to bulk at 2400 calories--that is a huge difference--interesting...thanks a ton for the info--helps alot!

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
wow! so at the same bw you are maintaining at 3300 calories while OP is trying to bulk at 2400 calories--that is a huge difference--interesting...thanks a ton for the info--helps alot!
A lot will depend on how active a person is, many years ago in my late twenties when I cycled to and from work, lifted all day at work and then cycled to the gym and trained for 60-90 minutes I used to slow bulk at 5000+ kcals per day (some days up to 6000) and maintain weight at 4500+ kcals at a body weight anywhere between 190 and 205 lbs, if I did that now I would a very fat f**k, currently I can maintain body weight in lbs x 16 so 2600 - 2900 depending on what I weigh at the time (range between 165 and 180)

jeffdog

Awards
A lot will depend on how active a person is, many years ago in my late twenties when I cycled to and from work, lifted all day at work and then cycled to the gym and trained for 60-90 minutes I used to slow bulk at 5000+ kcals per day (some days up to 6000) and maintain weight at 4500+ kcals at a body weight anywhere between 190 and 205 lbs, if I did that now I would a very fat f**k, currently I can maintain body weight in lbs x 16 so 2600 - 2900 depending on what I weigh at the time (range between 165 and 180)
man that is a great point you make--- the activity level of both of these guys have to be considered---so many questions you have to ask people!....

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
All depends on training, cardio and diet consistency

This is right on the money - totally depends on your daily activity, training programming and how your body responds to each macro nutrient.

I think what you posted OP is a fine starting point. Do you know well how you respond to carbs, fats? What is the level of intensity of your training?