Muscle Loss During Bulk?

Liftr

Awards
Hello all,
I'd like to start off by thanking the community for all the love and information that is shared here. It has greatly assisted me in achieving my fitness goals. With that said, I've come across a problem that has stumped the local trainers in my area. Searching the forums, I could't really find any insight to the muscle loss issue that i'm having. Hopefully, someone can shed a little light on my dilemma.

February of 2015 I was grossly over weight with 36% bodyfat. Through the guidance of this community, I was able to naturally lose 85 pounds in 8 months with only about .75lbs of muscle loss. In the 8 months, I incorporated heavy compound lifts on M,W,F with 20 minute HIIT sessions on T,Th,Sat. This was combined with a 1700 cal low carb diet.

As excited as I was about my successful cut, I was even more excited to be down to 19% bodyfat to try and bulk for winter. Unfortunately, this has not gone well for me at all. I was told by local trainers that 2lbs/month was an aggressive but achievable goal for lean muscle gain. For 4 months now, I have put every effort into adding some muscle mass but have gone the opposite direction. I have been spot on with clean calories with a 40:40:20 macro split on 6 meals a day and gaining about 1 pound a week. Surprisingly this is taking a 3,800 calorie diet. I was performing compound lifts with a Upper/Lower split on M/T and Th/Fr. I go to INBODY analysis every month, and every month i gain fat and lose muscle. I gain about 4.5lbs of fat and lose about a .5 lbs of muscle. More muscle loss than I had on an 8 month cut???? Numbers seem accurate because my measurements are the same except for my waistline(Larger). I'm confident that I train hard because most muscle groups will be sore for 4+ days. I changed macros to 50:30:20 to see if more carbs would help. I've tried cycling light/heavy weeks with a push/pull routine. I've tried different volumes and loads. Out of frustration, I've purchased ABE, Xgels, Alphamax, and lecithin. I staggered each by two weeks to access tolerance and results. Tolerance has been great. Currently, I've been running all four supplements for two weeks now. Sadly, I must report the same consistent results. More fat gain and more muscle loss. I'm at a loss. I apologize if i've left out any needed information. What say ye my friends? I'm almost at a point of just giving up.

Rand0m

Awards
  • Established
I don't think you can put that much stock into the accuracy of an inbody analysis (personally have seen some ridiculous results). I highly doubt you are losing muscle with your diet and training. Especially in such a large surplus. Personally I'd bulk at a much lower bodyfat but that's my preference. Also I'd aim for that ~2lbs a month. How much have you gained the past 4 months? How has your strength been the past 4 months?

Liftr

Awards
Thanks for your reply. I went from 190 to 207 in 4 months. I agree with the lower body fat. Just thought I might give winter a test run for a bulk. However, I realize there are benefits of lower %. Strengths has been great I think. Bench Press, Deadlifts, and Back squats up almost 50lbs on a 5x5 in the 4 months. Trainers in gym say they are impressed with additional plates they keep seeing.

Rand0m

Awards
  • Established
Nice strength gains. You're not losing muscle and there's not much I'd change except for a smaller surplus to mitigate excess fat gain (if your ultimate goal is to be leaner).

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
....I'm confident that I train hard because most muscle groups will be sore for 4+ days.....
IMHO, something is odd here. Soreness should be less.
Either you need more rest -or you have to train certain muscle groups more often.
Would go back to the successful diet as you did before.
Would check bloods for Thyroids- and Test levels.
How old are you?

Never give up. Giving up is for looser .

Liftr

Awards
I'm 37. I've done as you suggested and went back on previous regimen until I can figure things out. If I can't get swole, I'll get more ripped, lol. At least it's still progress. Appointment for doc scheduled to test blood. I did suffer from adrenal fatigue middle of last year. Might have caused problems with thyroid. Will report results.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm 37. I've done as you suggested and went back on previous regimen until I can figure things out. If I can't get swole, I'll get more ripped, lol. At least it's still progress. Appointment for doc scheduled to test blood. I did suffer from adrenal fatigue middle of last year. Might have caused problems with thyroid. Will report results.
Keep us informed about the blood work, will be interesting to see. My bet is: Test is low -but who knows what else.
Everything will be alright.
You did an awesome job in going from 36% BF to under 20%, former chubby guy here, work still in progress.

fakeazzrock

Awards
Like these guys have said, I wouldn't attempt a bulk at 19% bf. Realistically, you're going to gain fat unless using drugs for your mass gains. Nothing wrong if that's your route, but I'd also suggest being a lower bf before using AAS/PH too. Anyhow, because you're going to gain strength with fat, it's going to push you back above 20% which is much less desirable.

I waited until I was 12% to try and gain. I put on 9 pounds in a month. Increased strength quite a bit over 2 months, but jumped body fat up to 16%. I haven't wanted to lose those gains, and so I'm only down to 15% bf. The struggle is real. LOL.