An Awesome and Delicious "Dirty" Bulk Shake

Aaron.Cole

Aaron.Cole

Awards
So, I'm poor. And with being poor comes the decision of which supplements to buy, exactly. Do I spend $40 on a 10 day supply of bulking shake?

Well, I just went all "Mad Scientist" and made a freaking delicious bulking shake. And you can, too.

I'll post pics of the labels, and then the total amount of Calories, Proteins, Carbs, and Fats.

What I used:
Steel Cut Oats, ground into a powder
2 servings

Dry, Instant Milk
2 servings
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1453150249.356058.jpg

Peanut Butter
1 serving
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1453150276.847984.jpg

Vanilla Almond Milk
1 serving
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1453150306.335808.jpg

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
1 serving
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1453150342.264131.jpg

1 Scoop of R1 Intra (for kicks and aminos)

Finished product:
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1453150402.480606.jpg

ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1453150412.497533.jpg

Calories: 895
Protein: 36g
Carbs: 122g (from sugar: 58g)
Total Fat: 31.5g

It tastes amazing. And pretty good for bulking. I'll try it without the ice cream in the future, probably using honey to add flavor.

Do you have any cool recipes for bulking shakes? If you tried this recipe, what did you think?

Attachments

BamBam0319

BamBam0319

Awards
I had a shake today, 24g protein from protein powder (1/2 scoop each of PES Select Milk Chocolate and Gourmet Vanilla), 1 cup whole milk, 2 cups toffee crunch ice cream (Great Value brand).
72g carbs
38g protein
33.5g fat. Could've added in other stuff like oats and peanut butter, etc. but wasn't looking for anything filling at be time.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's a lot of calories in a shake. I understand that you're bulking but I would stick to meats and veggies.

Oh... Also, we've all been poor but I always feel like if you say "I'm poor" out loud, you'll always stay that way....

Aaron.Cole

Aaron.Cole

Awards
That's a lot of calories in a shake. I understand that you're bulking but I would stick to meats and veggies.

Oh... Also, we've all been poor but I always feel like if you say "I'm poor" out loud, you'll always stay that way....
Saying "I'm poor" was just tongue-in-cheek.

And depending on the fitness routine, I don't see a problem with the calorie count--for myself at least. Substituting the mint chocolate chip ice cream for 2 tbsp chia seeds keeps the calorie count the same, adds 4g protein, and is much healthier.

I wholeheartedly agree that nothing can beat meats and veggies. But I think this could be a decent-tasting and inexpensive way to add to a bulking diet.

Thanks for the input!

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
Just to add. Poor or not, no one should buy weight gainers imo. So much cheaper to make you own the way you did.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
wow- finally a bulker who bulks! Aaron, that looks nice, i would sub the mint chip (not my taste) but that would hit the spot- how did it taste

jake1986

Awards
I just had a serving of mass gainer less than 10 minutes ago. Store bought. Meh. It's whatever I guess. Got a bunch of it dirt cheap cause of the shelf life date at GNC.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
I just had a serving of mass gainer less than 10 minutes ago. Store bought. Meh. It's whatever I guess. Got a bunch of it dirt cheap cause of the shelf life date at GNC.
dont take after 1982 LOL

Aaron.Cole

Aaron.Cole

Awards
wow- finally a bulker who bulks! Aaron, that looks nice, i would sub the mint chip (not my taste) but that would hit the spot- how did it taste
Like a PB & Mint Chocolate Chip milkshake. It was amazing. Although, I let my wife try some. She thought it was disgusting and asked how I can drink stuff like that. I told her it really tasted like a great quality protein shake and she told me she would just stick to her regular milkshakes lol

Aaron.Cole

Aaron.Cole

Awards
I just could never stand the taste of mass gainers. The only one I sort of liked was Universal's. But I figured, why spend the money on a brand name when you could make something just as good. And without the fillers of store-bought mass gainers.

If I were to bulk up the protein level with this shake, I'd probably buy some Greek yogurt to stick in it.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
lmao- i always ask mine to try it- the one time she did it was hydro 520, she saw me cringing as i was chugging this down, she thought she was tuff- needless to say, she has never ever asked to try another one again.

Aaron.Cole

Aaron.Cole

Awards
lmao- i always ask mine to try it- the one time she did it was hydro 520, she saw me cringing as i was chugging this down, she thought she was tuff- needless to say, she has never ever asked to try another one again.
Hahaha wow.

jake1986

Awards
I read in a magazine that back in the day they used make these with 5000 calories per serving. Lol. (a brand by Joe Weider I think it was)

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
russian bear- google that crap and read the instructions - LMAO its still around -

Deleted member 238667

I used serious mass by ON. In my personal experience, it tastes better than my homemade shakes, but that's because I'm not a master in the art of bulking shakes like OP.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
Just watch those simple carbs man. My buddy used to get hyped up on the bulking train and would throw 2-4 Reese's peanut butter cups into an already dirty shake lol.

Then he wondered why he was gaining belly fat. He used to blame the "protein shake," and I was like dude, it's not the protein that's the problem here, it's the ice cream, candy bars etc that you keep putting in the shake lol.

jake1986

Awards
Yeah, careful adding olive oil too (like alot of guys do) That can also make you fat quick :/

Aaron.Cole

Aaron.Cole

Awards
Good points--I was aiming for getting the majority of the carbs from the oats. I'll probably tweak the recipe, too, to see what else can be subbed to make it better and keep some decent taste (although, taste isn't everything). I also have a juicer and we have a little garden in the summer that I'll probably incorporate into the recipe.

What about coconut oil? All I keep hearing is great stuff about it.

Aaron.Cole

Aaron.Cole

Awards
I used serious mass by ON. In my personal experience, it tastes better than my homemade shakes, but that's because I'm not a master in the art of bulking shakes like OP.
Have you tried Real Gains by Universal? And if so, how do you think it compares? (Mixability, taste, etc.)

jake1986

Awards
Haven't never tried coconut oil. Some ppl love it. Some say its over rated.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Coconut oil is great.

Remember
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1453258904.614959.jpg

Calorie balance and macros are most important.

Excess calories make you fat, not a certain carb or a type of fat.

Best high calorie shake I've made was:
1 scoop orange protein
8oz strawberry Keifer
4oz cashew milk
150g strawberries
Handful of baby spinach
2tbsp soy lecithin

tysons93

Awards
Mine that I gained 25 lbs in 4 months off of was pretty good and pretty clean also, it was
1 scoop of chocolate weightprotien 20g protien 100 cal
Half cup of oatmeal 10g protien 150 cal
Half cup of peanuts 424 cal 18g protien
Total 674 cal 48g protien and Tasted like recess peanut butter cups

Aaron.Cole

Aaron.Cole

Awards
Mine that I gained 25 lbs in 4 months off of was pretty good and pretty clean also, it was
1 scoop of chocolate weightprotien 20g protien 100 cal
Half cup of oatmeal 10g protien 150 cal
Half cup of peanuts 424 cal 18g protien
Total 674 cal 48g protien and Tasted like recess peanut butter cups
That sounds amazing. I'll have to try it. Why the peanuts and not peanut butter? Just curious.

tysons93

Awards
I figured peanut butter would have more preservatives and oil and stuff and also be more expensive so I just went 4 the natural source. Raw peanuts are only like 2 dollars per pound so it was very affordable

StatePlan1425

StatePlan1425

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
An Awesome and Delicious "Dirty" Bulk Shake

Great idea. I've always had guys use natural PB for ease of mixing but like this as it's cheaper/fresher. Just a variation on a theme, instead of chocolate flavored/artificially sweetened protein power, use an unflavored variety and add one tablespoon of 100% non-Dutched cocoa and a tablespoon of raw sugar. Sure it adds 15grams of sucrose but in a bulk, I would not be too concerned. And the cocoa is full of great anti-oxidants.

Aaron.Cole

Aaron.Cole

Awards
Great idea. I've always had guys use natural PB for ease of mixing but like this as it's cheaper/fresher. Just a variation on a theme, instead of chocolate flavored/artificially sweetened protein power, use an unflavored variety and add one tablespoon of 100% non-Dutched cocoa and a tablespoon of raw sugar. Sure it adds 15grams of sucrose but in a bulk, I would not be too concerned. And the cocoa is full of great anti-oxidants.
Truth. I should start doing this.

Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm all about "dirty". Love this thread. Great ideas!

tysons93

Awards
Yea only thing is there's a lot of fat in peanuts so you have to be careful about that

jonnyroyal86

Awards
Sounds like a good tasting shake. How many times a day would you drink it, and when?

tysons93

Awards
At first I drank two a day, I ate 3 meals a day and then had 1 shake after breakfast and one after my workout. But later I switched it to 1/3rd cup of peanuts per shake and started drinking 3, 1 after breakfast 1 post workout and 1 after dinner.

BoloYeung1

BoloYeung1

Awards
russian bear- google that crap and read the instructions - LMAO its still around -
I think Vitol makes some great products. They're multi-pak is great. The new Russian bear 5000 is reformulated with deer antler yohimbine and digestive enzymes

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
I think Vitol makes some great products. They're multi-pak is great. The new Russian bear 5000 is reformulated with deer antler yohimbine and digestive enzymes
when the hell did i post this- lol

reformulating isnt the problem- having to drink that all day long, by the time you get done drinking, you would have lost almost a 3000 cal's just running to the bathroom

BoloYeung1

BoloYeung1

Awards
when the hell did i post this- lol

reformulating isnt the problem- having to drink that all day long, by the time you get done drinking, you would have lost almost a 3000 cal's just running to the bathroom
I never had a problem with doing this. Back in college I used to mix my protein with 2% milk and heavy cream. Had it in a thermos to keep everything cold. Sipped on it all day between whole meals. Used megazyme digestive AIDS along with it to make sure I was digesting everything.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
I never had a problem with doing this. Back in college I used to mix my protein with 2% milk and heavy cream. Had it in a thermos to keep everything cold. Sipped on it all day between whole meals. Used megazyme digestive AIDS along with it to make sure I was digesting everything.
ok that makes some sense and they should put that on the label lol i never used it, wanted too but the thought of drinking a shake all day long and if it gets warm, idk man lol not my cup of tea

i figure, if it works for you or someone else, in the end, that is all that matters.

BoloYeung1

BoloYeung1

Awards
In my opinion the most important thing is digestion. You can be intaking all this stuff but if your body isn't absorbing it; what's the use. Once I started adding megazyme the gains came in real well.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
In my opinion the most important thing is digestion. You can be intaking all this stuff but if your body isn't absorbing it; what's the use. Once I started adding megazyme the gains came in real well.
150% agree on that bro