Cut or bulk at 14.4% bf ?

M

Mr.Tanno

Awards
All,
I am debating on cutting or bulking. I am 14.4%... I have heard that you shouldn't bulk if above 15% and should cut down to about 10-12% and then bulk again. I will attach photos but I am thinking I need to build more muscle. I would like to see a more define 6 pack etc but I do want more muscle mass. First time ever attempting to cut or bulk.
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1450812867.538011.jpg
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1450812887.624501.jpg
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1450812917.894752.jpg

TheKGEntleman

TheKGEntleman

Awards
You're right on that edge. I would say it depends on what your goals are and how quickly you plan on getting there.

M

Mr.Tanno

Awards
If I do a very clean bulk and about 300 calories of TDEE what percentage would
I be looking at roughly at end of a 3-4
Month "bulk"? I think I rather develop more mass then shed off fat in the coming summer months.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would go for a recomp. I would eat at a very small surplus for a while. Judging by the pictures, if you cut, there is going to be little to no muscle to show. However, it is personally preference and depends on your goals.

M

Mr.Tanno

Awards
Surplus as in how much? What would be maximum number of calories over and I can adjust from there. I know it's different for everyone but based on your experience?

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
I would go for a recomp. I would eat at a very small surplus for a while. Judging by the pictures, if you cut, there is going to be little to no muscle to show. However, it is personally preference and depends on your goals.
Definitely this. You need to build more lean tissue before continuing

Zoomie33240

Zoomie33240

Awards
  • Established
If you have never bulked or cut and are getting in to bodybuilding then I would eat a small surplus and up the cardio/volume of your workouts. You should inevitably gain mass and be able to lean out (remember the bigger your muscles are the leaner you will appear as well) because of "newbie gains". When I first started lifting the sky was the limit as far as gains go. The body adapts extremely fast to workout stimulus in the first couple of years. I would definitely try a recomp. Do some research on recomping and goodluck!

M

Mr.Tanno

Awards
I haven't consistently worked out 4 + days in years. I usually go good in the winter then when summer hits I don't work out as much as my hobby turns to golf in the summer. So I KNOW I have to be more consistent when summer comes around. Work out in morning etc... But I do want to have a better looking body and being stronger. AND I have never fully tried to cut or bulk. I have being tracking macros with my fitness pal . Just being going back and forth on to cut or bulk/recomp. But like you said Zoomie33240 I am just now adding cardio into my routine/hiit . Haven't had to in past but I am 30 now and things have changed . I appreciate the feedback.

Zoomie33240

Zoomie33240

Awards
  • Established
I'm not 30 yet but I'm getting there. It's awesome that you are tracking macros and getting into it. Staying consistent is key when you want to make any kind of gains (cutting or bulking). I think that the consistency alone will produce incredible gains along with tracking macros and trying to recomp. Also, the extra strength will really help your golf game :dance:

T

tallgei

Awards
Slowly bulk and keep diet clean. No offense meant but you don't have mass to cut down to. All that muscle will burn calories and raise your BMR and make dieting in future much easier.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I haven't consistently worked out 4 + days in years. I usually go good in the winter then when summer hits I don't work out as much as my hobby turns to golf in the summer. So I KNOW I have to be more consistent when summer comes around. Work out in morning etc... But I do want to have a better looking body and being stronger. AND I have never fully tried to cut or bulk. I have being tracking macros with my fitness pal . Just being going back and forth on to cut or bulk/recomp. But like you said Zoomie33240 I am just now adding cardio into my routine/hiit . Haven't had to in past but I am 30 now and things have changed . I appreciate the feedback.
what are your current macros? since you're tracking them, are you also maintaining consistency here? i'd be interested in seeing what your current approach is.

I'd focus on clean eating, heavy hard lifting, and HIIT for now. with emphasis on hard lifting and clean eating over cut vs bulk.

E

Elvk11

Awards
I'd shoot for a 200-300 surplus for 3 months and reevaluate

M

Mr.Tanno

Awards
Thanks for input. I got knocked way of track this month with a relationship break up. Haven't eaten much at all etc.

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for input. I got knocked way of track this month with a relationship break up. Haven't eaten much at all etc.
Use the break up as fuel to get bigger ,stronger , leaner. Pretty soon you'll get so much attention from the opposite sex that any girl you do decide to date will treat you so much better because she'll see how much attention other women will give you and they'll feel lucky to be with you. Take no crap, be alpha, you are the boss. Women always want things their way but will have no respect for you if you let them be in charge and will treat you like crap.

Attachments

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
I like to follow a principle ben pakulski lives by. In a nutshell he states that when you are above 12%, most people will put on more fat than muscle while bulking.

His advice is once you are passed 12%, cut to 8% and bulk at 1000 excess calories per day untill you don't gain weight for 4 days straight. Thats a good indication that your body is not utilising the calories properly any more. Then cut back to about 8 % and repeat. According to him this is the most effective way of bulking while putting on the least amount of fat.

So to cut a long story short. I would cut if I were you.

Snow3y

Snow3y

Awards
Please do not take offense to this, because it's a common error most find difficult to accept: You are most definitely not 14% bodyfat. If I had to identify your bf %, it would most likely be around 16-17%

Personally (if your body was my body) I would go on a nice slow cut, to reach about 10% - once that's done, bulk a little/cut a little - carry on while staying around that 10% mark

M

Mr.Tanno

Awards
No offense. I used a BodPod. Should I find something more accurate?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I wouldn't stress over that immediately. First start up a food log and training log so we can see what you're doing and lets adjust from there.

BF% is just a number. you want to accomplish certain physical things, lets see what you're doing now and what we might do to help you hit your goals.

4evafit

4evafit

Awards
  • Established
Depends on your goal. I'm starting a bulk and I'm at 16.7%. Gonna try keep it lean

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
You need to determine what you want more - to be lean or spend time building tissue?

I know for myself and many others that a lot of people who begin an intelligent lean gaining phase that begins as a bit of a recomposition (say 3-5 weeks slowly adding in calories) will actually get leaner while eating enough to provide the materials needed to grow. If your training is programmed well and very intense you could certainly grow while getting leaner for a time.

However first decide what you really want more and what is most appropriate for your ultimate goals.