When focusing on Muscle, are you concerned with limiting protein per meal?

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
When it comes to each meal that you take in, do you limit the amount per meal, or do you just make sure to eat and eat as long as your protein intake for the day is met?

Some guys only eat so much protein per meal, and I understand that. But should you be limiting protein intake at each meal if you make focus and goal is building muscle?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just make sure you hit your protein requirement at the end of the day. You can split it equally, have certain amounts at certain meals, whatever floats your boat. Lets say your protein intake goal is at 200g and you eat 5 meals. I would not focus on getting 40g at every meal. You'll drive yourself crazy.

jaces

jaces

Awards
it just comes down to factors like absorption and the concentration of aminos in the blood , but if you are not a pro BB then worrieng about that too much is pointless.. just try different amounts and see what you like more.. i dont eat more than 30 at a meal, makes me feel a bit too full so ill split it up into 6-7meals

Parad0x

Parad0x

Awards
  • Established
You should limit how much you take in per meal if you know how much protein your body can absorb at one time. Don't believe the bullsh!t that gives you a blanket number, it's based on too many factors for them to blanket bullsh!t you with a number for everyone. If you don't know, don't worry about it and just try to meet your macros over the day. As stated previously, 6-7 meals a day is optimal.

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
Although overall macronutrient and caloric consumption is the biggest concern

Focus on protein as at least hitting the bare minimum per meal to optimize MPS through hitting your leucine threshold. 24+ grams of protein from a high quality protein source will have enough leucine to max out MPS

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
And this is why eating every 2-3 hours is something so many swear by. Give the body enough time to absorb protein before you load it up with more. While you continue throughout the the day to fuel your body with 6-7 meals spread out evenly.

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
And this is why eating every 2-3 hours is something so many swear by. Give the body enough time to absorb protein before you load it up with more. While you continue throughout the the day to fuel your body with 6-7 meals spread out evenly.
This x10

If you can stimulate MPS every few hours, you'll be in a more anabolic state longer than if you stimulated it less. Obviously there becomes a point of over saturation but definitely not close to what we're discussing here

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This x10

If you can stimulate MPS every few hours, you'll be in a more anabolic state longer than if you stimulated it less. Obviously there becomes a point of over saturation but definitely not close to what we're discussing here
Layne Norton would disagree in that you did need a refractory period. There's ZERO research to support the bro belief of constant grazing from an anabolic perspective. From a practical standpoint, yes, it makes sense to spread it out, but it matters very little if you eat every 2 hours v 5 hours as long as total macros are met at the end of the day.

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
Layne Norton would disagree in that you did need a refractory period. There's ZERO research to support the bro belief of constant grazing from an anabolic perspective. From a practical standpoint, yes, it makes sense to spread it out, but it matters very little if you eat every 2 hours v 5 hours as long as total macros are met at the end of the day.
Obviously you need a refractory period just like I mentioned and if theres no data, then go with anecdotal evidence.

I've done this with myself and many of my clients and MANY respond better to stimulating MPS every 3 hours VS every 5. Now remember these are actual competitive bodybuilders so things are different.

I don't believe you compete so things might be different

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Obviously you need a refractory period just like I mentioned and if theres no data, then go with anecdotal evidence.

I've done this with myself and many of my clients and MANY respond better to stimulating MPS every 3 hours VS every 5. Now remember these are actual competitive bodybuilders so things are different.

I don't believe you compete so things might be different
What makes their anatomy so different that it changes this? Also, every 3 hours doesn't allow for a refractory period.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Drugs effect (shrink) refractory period in enhanced bodybuilders vs natural. mTOR signaling is enhanced, metabolism is enhanced, gastric emptying/digestion is enhanced. Protein turnover is enhanced. Of course all of this depends on the drugs being used. But all of this should be fairly obvious.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's not so much anatomy as it is goals
I understand the goal is different, but it doesn't change this unless....
Drugs effect (shrink) refractory period in enhanced bodybuilders vs natural. mTOR signaling is enhanced, metabolism is enhanced, gastric emptying/digestion is enhanced. Protein turnover is enhanced. Of course all of this depends on the drugs being used. But all of this should be fairly obvious.
These come into play. However, I didn't want to assume drugs were being used. Obviously, that changes everything.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
These come into play. However, I didn't want to assume drugs were being used. Obviously, that changes everything.
Now remember these are actual competitive bodybuilders so things are different.
Yeah with competitive bodybuilders, I just assume drug use to always be in effect. Even for 'naturals' who may be using T3/short estered AAS/slin in their off season.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
So a person that uses drugs needs to eat more often during the day than a guy who doesn't use drugs?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
So a person that uses drugs needs to eat more often during the day than a guy who doesn't use drugs?
If they want to take advantage of the enhancement, yes!

But no, it's not a requirement. Their 'needs' depend on their goals.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
T3 has a very big effect on protein turnover. A lot of people will use a small dose just for this extra boost. I believe 25mcg daily is all that's needed for a decent boost (I think I read that 25mcg brings about a ~30% increase).

Parad0x

Parad0x

Awards
  • Established
T3 has a very big effect on protein turnover. A lot of people will use a small dose just for this extra boost. I believe 25mcg daily is all that's needed for a decent boost (I think I read that 25mcg brings about a ~30% increase).
The real question on thyroid drugs is whether you're looking for short term or long term effects; straight T3 or opting for levothyroxizine...

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well in the longterm, Armour Thyroid (or similar) is the best.

Parad0x

Parad0x

Awards
  • Established
Well in the longterm, Armour Thyroid (or similar) is the best.
My brain is gonna explode, so please elaborate. No joke. The T3 could cause shut down (potentially) whereas the T4 would raise the T3 levels but with synthetic T3 it would downregulate production but would be boosted by the T4 uuuuuuugh my brain hurts

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
And this is TMI really, but if using T3 in the short term (say 25mcg for example), the pill is best split in half, taken sublingually, spread apart.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My brain is gonna explode, so please elaborate. No joke. The T3 could cause shut down (potentially) whereas the T4 would raise the T3 levels but with synthetic T3 it would downregulate production but would be boosted by the T4 uuuuuuugh my brain hurts
Armour Thyroid contains all of the thyroid hormones, T3/T4, etc. It's the most natural way to supplement for a lagging thyroid, and will have users feeling the best.

It's the best prescription drug available for anyone with thyroid issues. It's glandular, so it contains everything.

Parad0x

Parad0x

Awards
  • Established
So even though the T3 is synthetic, it won't cause downregulation due to the added T4? Ballin'.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
So even though the T3 is synthetic, it won't cause downregulation due to the added T4? Ballin'.
Not all T3 is synthetic. Armour Thyroid's hormones are all extracted via thyroid glands (likely bovine or something similar).

Yes straight T3 can shut you down though. You need to taper up/down, just like corticosteroids, it's best to come off slowly.

Parad0x

Parad0x

Awards
  • Established
Not all T3 is synthetic. Armour Thyroid's hormones are all extracted via thyroid glands (likely bovine or something similar).

Yes straight T3 can shut you down though. You need to taper up/down, just like corticosteroids, it's best to come off slowly.
Just curious, but is the process regulated by a governing body? God forbid what happened with HGH way back when happen with this stuff.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
When it comes to each meal that you take in, do you limit the amount per meal, or do you just make sure to eat and eat as long as your protein intake for the day is met?

Some guys only eat so much protein per meal, and I understand that. But should you be limiting protein intake at each meal if you make focus and goal is building muscle?
Short answer...no I'm not worried...and you shouldn't be either. Just hit your macros

jaces

jaces

Awards
most people recommend tappering al hormones on cycle but this is just useless.If the concentration of that hormone is above natural levels then the gland producing it wil still be shut down due to the negative feedback loop.And it doesnt matter if a hormone is natural or synthetic it wil still cause shut down.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
most people recommend tappering al hormones on cycle but this is just useless.If the concentration of that hormone is above natural levels then the gland producing it wil still be shut down due to the negative feedback loop.And it doesnt matter if a hormone is natural or synthetic it wil still cause shut down.
You act like there's a switch that turns off when an exogenous hormone is introduced. Production is suppressed, but it isn't "shut down" unless it's been YEARS of heavy abuse. Hormone production is in dimmer switches and not black and white like you're painting it out to be. The thyroid does tend to be more fickle on recovery than the HPTA, however.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established

So 100% of doctors are incorrect when they prescribe a tapered dose of prednisone, in order to come off it without feeling lousy? You must know more than them :)

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So 100% of doctors are incorrect when they prescribe a tapered dose of prednisone, in order to come off it without feeling lousy? You must know more than them :)
I've gone off of a corticosteroid that I was on long term before...taper off....for ****s sake don't just stop it all at once. Bad ****ing idea

NotDatGuy9000

Awards
I only take in .6 to .8 and do fine. That's in my case though, every one is different.

NotDatGuy9000

Awards
I actually eat less if I get too much protein. I figured calories in was more important than protein in when bulking.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I actually eat less if I get too much protein. I figured calories in was more important than protein in when bulking.
Yep that's about right. No need to go super high on protein when bulking imo.

Protein + fiber fills me up nicely on a cut, definitely cuts hunger.

NotDatGuy9000

Awards
I currently do cardio to make the bulking a little cleaner, plus the stamina helps alot. I know a few people are anti-cardio, but I have to keep up crazy stamina in the sack. The girlfriend expects me to keep performances lol!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Likewise lol... it's all about that core strength and cardio haha

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
cardio sucks, lift harder

jk
In all honesty I hate traditional cardio. I don't run, jog, or step on a treadmill. I do crazy giant sets instead, no breaks. 25-30min of nonstop barbell complexes / compound lifts will do more to condition than any amount of running! Go hard or go home :D

NotDatGuy9000

Awards
Giant sets for me too, but my reason is no reason to spend extra time in the gym. Dips straight to shoulder presses. The walk to the dumbbells are the rest.

My cardio is spazzing on the floor for 30 minutes. Works everything.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Giant sets for me too, but my reason is no reason to spend extra time in the gym. Dips straight to shoulder presses. The walk to the dumbbells are the rest.

My cardio is spazzing on the floor for 30 minutes. Works everything.
I'm the same, at least when I'm in top form, no injuries. I do bench press / pullup / situp / rowing circuits, no breaks for about 30min, and I do it about 3-4 times per week (eod). Hits full upper body and I'm basically collapsing after. I'll squat on the other days, a combination of low rep squats with some volume at the end which has me sweating like a mf, and usually collapsing after too. If that's not enough, then I'll end off with the assault bike. Super brutal.