WTF AM I DOING?!

ckarrick

Awards
I am 19 years old have been working out for quite some time now. Always been the kind of person who wanted to just be overall fit, so I have always incorporated cardio into my workouts. The reason being is I also enjoy cardio. I want to be able to lift heavy but still be able to run. I weigh 155, and I am also a type one diabetic. I take very good care of my diabetes and wear a wireless insulin pump so I am able to diet however I want because I can account for the insulin with my pump. I have recently really been trying to bulk up and put on some weight so I can increase some of my lifts. I have been paying very close attention to my diet, mostly in a sense of how many calories, carbs, fats, ect I am taking in. I have been hitting at least 4,000 calories a day been working out 5-6 days a week. I even cut out the cardio for a while. The scale is not moving though! Does anyone have any suggestions? Its extremely frustrating I know for a fact I am working out hard enough. Any suggestions would help!

4000-5500 calories a day
250+ grams of protein
250+ grams of carbs
Also been taking Anafuse by Vital Labs(this is not a PH)

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, are you really eating that much? How are you tracking it? Are you weighing and measuring? 250c and 250p comes out to just 2,000cal. Is the other 2-3k really all fat?

ckarrick

Awards
Well, are you really eating that much? How are you tracking it? Are you weighing and measuring? 250c and 250p comes out to just 2,000cal. Is the other 2-3k really all fat?

tracking it all through an app on my phone. Myfitnesspal, I am really eating that much especially according to the app. Everything I eat I scan the barcode off my phone and enter it in there. I get about 60 grams of my protein at least from shakes though as well. And the other 2-3k is definitely not all fat we have to incorporate thing like fiber as well. I am not eating super clean but not eating donuts all day. I just eat basically whatever sounds good. This morning I had 2 grilled cheeses 3 eggs and 6 pieces of bacon. This already put me over 1000 calories.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Being a Type 1 diabetic I'd think you'd have to actually eat a lot more carbs to gain some weight. You might want to google for other weight lifters with type 1 diabetes to find out how they eat. I bet it sure complicates things.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
If you're still having problems after trying everything maybe its time to see a nutritionist? They should be able to help you with your diet taking into account your diabetes.

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
I am 19 years old have been working out for quite some time now. Always been the kind of person who wanted to just be overall fit, so I have always incorporated cardio into my workouts. The reason being is I also enjoy cardio. I want to be able to lift heavy but still be able to run. I weigh 155, and I am also a type one diabetic. I take very good care of my diabetes and wear a wireless insulin pump so I am able to diet however I want because I can account for the insulin with my pump. I have recently really been trying to bulk up and put on some weight so I can increase some of my lifts. I have been paying very close attention to my diet, mostly in a sense of how many calories, carbs, fats, ect I am taking in. I have been hitting at least 4,000 calories a day been working out 5-6 days a week. I even cut out the cardio for a while. The scale is not moving though! Does anyone have any suggestions? Its extremely frustrating I know for a fact I am working out hard enough. Any suggestions would help!

4000-5500 calories a day
250+ grams of protein
250+ grams of carbs
Also been taking Anafuse by Vital Labs(this is not a PH)
two tips:
Get thyroid function checked
Google and research and eat "calorie dense food"

demonfox

Awards
  • Established
well since youre type 1 diabetic, its quite possible that your insulin intake isnt enough for the extra food that youre eating to bulk up. reason i say this is because may be youre just taking the exact amount of insulin your body needs to function, which is making your cells take in only the bare amount of glucose needed for the body and not all the extra glucose youre getting from your food, which is then getting flushed away from your body and hence youre not able to gain weight. may be try to up your insulin a bit, obviously not too much because then you might get hypoglycemic and cause serious problems. so for example, say you take in 10iu insulin for a meal, may be up that to 12 or 14iu, not too drastic. im assuming you know your stuff about how much insulin you need so ill leave that up to you.

ckarrick

Awards
well since youre type 1 diabetic, its quite possible that your insulin intake isnt enough for the extra food that youre eating to bulk up. reason i say this is because may be youre just taking the exact amount of insulin your body needs to function, which is making your cells take in only the bare amount of glucose needed for the body and not all the extra glucose youre getting from your food, which is then getting flushed away from your body and hence youre not able to gain weight. may be try to up your insulin a bit, obviously not too much because then you might get hypoglycemic and cause serious problems. so for example, say you take in 10iu insulin for a meal, may be up that to 12 or 14iu, not too drastic. im assuming you know your stuff about how much insulin you need so ill leave that up to you.
I appreciate the advice but I do not think this is the case. My insulin pump gives me a steady rate of insulin even when I am not eating as a normal persons pancreas would. Only time I would not be getting enough insulin for my food would be a lack in my department. Which does happen more than I would like.

ckarrick

Awards
Thanks for the advice, you have me thinking it could definitely be my thyroid.

Code Man

Awards
Look up jaytitan on Instagram. He's a bodybuilder with diabetes. He's also a coach and could maybe help you out in that area since he has experience in that area.

jaces

jaces

Awards
look into diets like the anabolic diet .. but stay away from keto diets as this can cause ketoacidosis in diabetics.. so never just go under 50grams of carbs