Keep bulking until goals are reached?

Blacknu

Awards
Hello everyone,

A little back story, I've been trying to put on quality mass for a long time, and have managed to get up to 190 lbs at 5'11 while staying around 16-18% bf after starting at 145 lbs at about 15% bf. This has taken a couple of years, but I am a good bit stronger and obviously more muscular. I don't have a visible 6 pack but Im not fat to the point that it bothers me either. I'm still very comfortable without a shirt on.

To get to the point.. My long term goal is to get big. Really big. I'm not interested in having the 170 lb beach body look. I'd like to possibly compete one day. So my question is, is there any real reason that I should cut now? Or since my long term goal is to be much bigger than I am now should I just keep bulking?

Also if it makes any difference, I have just recently started taking testosterone cyp. At 140 mg a week. I was diagnosed with low t and so far I feel MUCH better after starting. I am hoping that maybe having normal levels of test will make my goal a little easier to achieve. I am all for hard work but will welcome any assistance it may bring.

Anyways thanks in advance for any help or input!

avega17

Awards
  • Established
After a certain level of body fat, insulin resistance and anabolic resistance will set it. This typically occurs around the 18-20% range. Here, nutrient partitioning is less efficient, and you will end up storing more and more body fat. Once you get here, you should cut back down to at least the 10-12% range, and then continue to build again. Recomp on the way up and down; the slower the better.

Blacknu

Awards
Hey thanks for the response avega!

I read through those and Im not at anywhere near the point that my muscles are soft or anything so I could possibly be overestimating body fat but I'm not close to visible abs at the moment either. You can kinda seethe outline of the top 2 in the right light but that's about it.

I also kind of knew about the anabolic resistance but thought that being on trt and controlling estrogen would negate some of those effects. I was under the impression that when your bodyfat levels rose, you increased estrogen via aromitose therefor lowering testosterone levels which would explain the less than ideal nutrient partitioning and increased fat gain/decreased muscle gain. Please correct me if I am wrong as I am no professional in this field or anything.

avega17

Awards
  • Established
Hey thanks for the response avega!

I read through those and Im not at anywhere near the point that my muscles are soft or anything so I could possibly be overestimating body fat but I'm not close to visible abs at the moment either. You can kinda seethe outline of the top 2 in the right light but that's about it.

I also kind of knew about the anabolic resistance but thought that being on trt and controlling estrogen would negate some of those effects. I was under the impression that when your bodyfat levels rose, you increased estrogen via aromitose therefor lowering testosterone levels which would explain the less than ideal nutrient partitioning and increased fat gain/decreased muscle gain. Please correct me if I am wrong as I am no professional in this field or anything.
Yea, that's right. Higher BF%, more aromatization.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I put on 10lbs of lean mass my first year of TRT. If you just started, I would recomp, monitor e2, and lift hard. I'm betting you will like the results and can determine if you want to bulk at that point. You'll level out with weight gain and fat reduction at some point after on for 6-12 months and have your new baseline.

BigLarry

BigLarry

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I use to have really bad self-image problems back when I was in eighth grade. I was 140 something at almost 6'0. Answer you question I basically bulked until I got to the point I was happy or I thought I looked good and filled clothes out well. I would say, " oh I'm starting to cut this summer", but all the guys would just say, "yea okay that's what you said last year." So I guess it all depends if your comfortable with your body fat percentage if you don't want to cut and just continue bulking till you get to your weight goal.

Blacknu

Awards
Thanks guys! I've been just eating when I'm hungry and lifting heavy and it's been putting me a bit over maintenance but nothing too drastic. I've gained about 8 lbs since starting, but my strength has gone up much more dramatically than it previously did starting at about week 3. So far I'm really enjoying the changes in day to day life that I am seeing. I think I'm just gonna keep eating when I'm hungry and keeping I clean with protein high. I may run a little higher dose once the cold weather comes back and eat a little bit more but we will see when the time comes.

Inspiration44

Awards
Good question OP. I understand that u want to be big, really big. But I would consider cutting to 12% bodyfat than rebulking. Its good to be big, but u want to have some separation man