Can't seem to get enough calories.

jab10231

Awards
Hey all,

I've been working a 9-5 typical office job for 9.5 months now. I love my job, but I am unable to gain weight. We have a gym here and I play basketball on lunch hour two to three times a week (I know I shouldn't because it burns so many calories, but I love the game.)

The problem is even with extra eating, I can't gain weight. I'm 6 ft 3.5 in tall and only 183-185 lbs. I have bigger arms than most people expect (always get looks if I'm in a tight shirt or sleeveless, but I can't get anywhere near as big as I want, nor can I gain weight. I did a 4 caps a day Finaflex 1-Andro cycle in March and put on about eight pounds, but about a week and a half into PCT, the scale weight was gone.

During the work week I eat:
A pretty good-sized breakfast. Eggs, sausage, and toast, say
Lunch at work on hoops days: One two two grilled chicken sandwiches
Dinner: could be anything.
Then I have at least two snacks after 7PM, usually lunch meat and cheese with crackers or something.

I feel like I am STARVING all day though. I first get hungry usually at 10:30 or 11 after having not eaten since breakfast at 7. I don't eat lunch until around 1:15. On non-bball days, I actually eat both a packed lunch on break (whenever) and go out to eat (Chipotle, Wendy's, whereever) somewhere for my lunch hour.

Do you guys have any ideas to help me out with bulking while working a 9 to 5 office job? I feel like I'm eating a decent amount but I'm hungry all day, and I basically pig out when I get home from work/gym. I've tried snacking before bed and everything.

My protein intake is at the very least 140 to 150 grams a day. I should probably up it but want to know a cost effective way to do so, since I already basically spend tons and tons of money on food and supplements.

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Eat more!! If your starving all day your not eating enough to gain. There are times when I'm gaining and eating so much I hate the thought of eating again but force myself. That's what you have to do.... By the layout of your diet at 6'3 you definitely need to eat more....

Look up tdee at your height and weight and how many calories you are taking in and that will tell you how to adjust to gain.

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Eat more!! If your starving all day your not eating enough to gain. There are times when I'm gaining and eating so much I hate the thought of eating again but force myself. That's what you have to do.... By the layout of your diet at 6'3 you definitely need to eat more....

Look up tdee at your height and weight and how many calories you are taking in and that will tell you how to adjust to gain.
Great advice right there^^^. Take snacks to work. Eat every couple hours. Find ways too add calories to meals and snacks if you're not meeting caloric requirements.

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's sounds like you have a very fast metabolism.

You probably need to eat every 2-3 hours.

Make stuff the night before and have it packed and ready to go.

Aaron1981

Awards
Simply put eat more food. My girlfriend weighs about 90lb and eats more food than that! You'd be lucky hitting 3k calories and at your height I'd be looking for way more than that.

jab10231

Awards
Yeah I think I'm in the 3k ballpark which seems like it would suffice, but I can't put any weight on. Last Friday I weighed in at the gym at 185, ate like a freakin pig all weekend, weighed in on Tuesday at 183. It was like... ok....

Aaron1981

Awards
But if it's not adding weight then it isn't enough

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I think I'm in the 3k ballpark which seems like it would suffice, but I can't put any weight on. Last Friday I weighed in at the gym at 185, ate like a freakin pig all weekend, weighed in on Tuesday at 183. It was like... ok....
1 or 2 chicken sandwiches after an hour basketball game in between breakfast and lunch isn't going to slap on weight.... Your not getting it bro.... If you want to get big you have to eat tremendous amounts of food all day... All week, not just on the weekends and then eat like a bird during the week lol

Aaron1981

Awards
Also weighing yourself over a few days doesn't mean much as the body fluctuates water retention and glycogen storage. I would weigh once a month to get a better idea of weight gain

jerisonross

jerisonross

Awards
You should plan it out. For my bulking cycles I eat 7 meals per day. It takes some getting used to but if your determined to get big you can so it. I went from t foot 11 180 lbs to 215 lbs in a bit over a year. Feel free to inbox me if you have more questions.

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1 or 2 chicken sandwiches after an hour basketball game in between breakfast and lunch isn't going to slap on weight.... Your not getting it bro.... If you want to get big you have to eat tremendous amounts of food all day... All week, not just on the weekends and then eat like a bird during the week lol
^^^agreed. If you're serious about bulking you should eat enough and often enough that you're never feeling hunger. You basically have to force down food because you need to eat more than what your body needs to maintain.

jab10231

Awards
^^^agreed. If you're serious about bulking you should eat enough and often enough that you're never feeling hunger. You basically have to force down food because you need to eat more than what your body needs to maintain.
Yeah I think that's the main thing. Even if I eat a big breakfast, I'm still starving 3-4 hours later. I've gotta work out an AFFORDABLE meal plan. That's the thing. 12 protein bars for 30 bucks is not really what I think of as affordable.

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't like protein bars. Go for snacks like almonds, peanuts, anything unprocessed.

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Pack a small lunch cooler with stuff. Anything to get the cals in.

IronAddiction

IronAddiction

Awards
  • Established
whole milk, almonds, and self made beef jerky ftw

Barneyruble

Awards
Im the same but recently been popping 5ml extra virgin oil into most meals , putting peanut butter in my protien shakes keep upping your food daily will get there

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
A few teaspoons of PB, handful of mixed nuts, wash it down with milk/juice/tea. Done.

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
Just go to Costco, buy like the big ass bag of small chocolates, profit

mrsims

mrsims

Awards
Bottom line: If your not gaining weight, you need more calories. I dont care if you ate 5k calories a day, if your weight doesnt change than that is your maintenance caloric level and you need more. If you feel like you cant stomach eating any more, incorporate calorie dense foods in your diet. Peanut butter and whole milk good options. Both are convenient for you to take to work and increase your calories quick.

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Buy a tub of raw oats, and cook up a cup of that for a side dish. Just a couple splenda packets and cinoman or pb & j. Uncooked brown rice is cheap, prepare a big batch of that for now and later.

BigLarry

BigLarry

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
^^Peanut butter and milk will do it. At the very least put some scoops of protein in some baggies and bring it to work. Every couple of hours or so drink a shake and if you can do it with milk. May not be as filling as a chicken breast with brown rice but it'll get the job done! :)

IronAddiction

IronAddiction

Awards
  • Established
This is what I have to do a lot of the time^ this is why it's nice to jump on protein deals for multiple tubs different flavors to keep it interesting

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
You can try nutella on some bagels in the morning. Super easy 1000 calories. Not the best compared to whole foods but only if you having trouble eating a lot

Inspiration44

Awards
If you feel hungry chances are you aren't eating enough, at the same time if you are only eating carbs, and no fat, than this is another reason why u may feel hungry. Its very easy to add calories to foods. Also if ur sodium intake is low than adding sauces can increase calorie intake. I have never had a problem with eating too many calories. Eat foods that taste yummy and are healthy too, such as popcorn or natural peanut butter, or eggs, or milk:) Good luck OP

jimjones87

Awards
Eat until you feel sick, then eat some more. Worked for me.

I found that to really achieve gains, I'd have to basically force feed myself even if I was already feeling kinda sick. Late night shakes are key too