Meal before or after workout? (Upon waking up)

b0bbYboy

Awards
Im an ectomorph looking to bulk and the only time i can go to the gym is upon waking up due to the fact that i go to college and work in the afternoon.

Thing is, i dont know if to eat a big meal or small meal or just a protein shake before workout? So many different opinions.

Currently i wake up, make a small bowl of instant oatmeal, get ready for the gym and take half a dose of preworkout, i get too itchy with over 1g of betalinine, and hit the weights, come back, shower, get dressed and eat 2-3 scrambled eggs with toast and orange juice with a multi-vitamin.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
It's really only up to your 24 hour intake if you gain, so do what feels best.

Eating right before ruins my workouts

But if you wake up in need of energy slam down something quick/easy digesting

Or use stims to get through and feast like a beast after

b0bbYboy

Awards
I have been contemplating taking a big shake of casein before bed. I dont get the "shaky" feeling when im working out if i eat an oatmeal or drink a shake. However, i bought carbo gain, which is corn starch really, to add to my morning shakes to spike my insulin. Dont know i need some advise

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Do you feel fine working out fasted?

b0bbYboy

Awards
Do you feel fine working out fasted?
I do but if i increase the insensitivity in the workout, I will feel like crap, you know, when your blood sugar levels go down and you feel weak and nauseous

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
I am one of those "hard gainers" as well. I recommend you get your calories up and follow a solid muscle building training plan. I don't always eat before the gym either. I have my pwo stack: Ergonine, HPTA, Volume, Psyched and some coffee. Go to the gym. Take BCAAXR, drink protein shake and eat a banana immediately after workout. 3 eggs, ham and cheese with a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich about an hour and a half later. My Fitness Pal helps a lot. I usually drink a protein shake before bed if I didn't reach my macros for protein by then. Properly balanced macros and a solid training program has helped me tremendously. There's my 2 cents (mostly gleaned from what I've learned on AM and experienced myself)

IronAddiction

IronAddiction

Awards
  • Established
so you do feel like crap when you work out fasted, or you are just "saying" but not really from experience? why don't you try before you say? or if you aren't gaining, you aren't eating enough, if all other factors are spot on.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Recommendation one: small meal or shake before workout

Recommendation two: stims before and BCAAs + HBCD intra

IronAddiction

IronAddiction

Awards
  • Established
In ftw ^ pick one depending on how you are feeling daily. It is really that simple:head:

b0bbYboy

Awards
so you do feel like crap when you work out fasted, or you are just "saying" but not really from experience? why don't you try before you say? or if you aren't gaining, you aren't eating enough, if all other factors are spot on.
honestly, my diet isnt the most spot on but when I have something, even bcaa's, in my system then I dont feel starving during workout and no "blood pressure drop" feel... Im not sure how to call that feeling.

I forgot to mention, I take with me BCAA's and that seem to help me with fatigue! I can do longer sets with more intensity and I wont feel drained in energy. Perfect for mornings.

sinewave3

sinewave3

Awards
  • Established
I am a hard gainer and I like to eat before a workout. Protein for aminos and carbs for energy and pump.

Today my pre meal was a banana and a scoop of protein powder. Personally don't want to be FULL during workout, but like to eat 25-50g carbs and 15-30 g protein.

IronAddiction

IronAddiction

Awards
  • Established
honestly, my diet isnt the most spot on but when I have something, even bcaa's, in my system then I dont feel starving during workout and no "blood pressure drop" feel... Im not sure how to call that feeling.

I got you, keep eating more until you notice too much weight gain that makes you start to look fat, easy to do with delicious foods that are out there lol. I always have a cup of oats, piece of cheese, and an apple pre if I am working out in am, but like 1hr before. I get that feeling though too if I work out fasted, first like 20 mins of workout are great, then boom face in dirt w/o foods

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Personally, if I eat anything within one hour of training, I feel sluggish. If I was in your position, I would just wake up, do my normal morning routine, and take a serving or two of BCAAs pre workout with your pre workout product of choice. Many people use BCAA or EAA intra, which is usually not ideal. You could do 1 scoop pre, 2 pre, or 1 pre and 1 intra.

b0bbYboy

Awards
Haha i guess everyone has its own ways. I mean after 2-3 years, you get yo know ur body. However, what im planning to wake up, small oatmeal, get ready for gym( clothes, contacts, wash face) then take Ergonine, hit the gym, come back and eat a fat breakfast before leaving to college. buy a gainer, prob true mass 1200 by bsn, and take it with me to drink it after class

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I keyed on two words you used: "ectomorph" and "hungry" in the morning. Can you tell us your height and weight? I'm sensing you may need help with daily caloric intake.

Theraflu

Theraflu

Awards
I do well with a protein shake like an hour before I work out and Carbion/Glutamine/Amino IV intra-workout. Shake keeps me from getting nauseated or jittery, intra keeps my energy level up. And then I eat when I'm finished.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Meal about an hour before. Low(er) fat +P+CHO

Maybe around 5g fat
Protein- 25-30g
CHO- 55-70g

That's what I'd do anyhow

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Meal about an hour before. Low(er) fat +P+CHO

Maybe around 5g fat
Protein- 25-30g
CHO- 55-70g

That's what I'd do anyhow
This is what I usually do (adjust the carbs based on training volume or something similar). The closer it is to a workout the easier to digest I make it (shake/simple carbs/etc.).

If you really can't stomach much I'd at least get either a shake in (maybe with your oatmeal to get some protein in that meal) or some sort of during workout drink (I do Amino IV + Gatorade) then just have your big meal after (like you sound like you plan to do).

mistermike79

mistermike79

Awards

I like this. then slam some mad food thoughout the day. Lots of protien and carbs. avoid sugars.

Akagami

Awards
Im an ectomorph looking to bulk and the only time i can go to the gym is upon waking up due to the fact that i go to college and work in the afternoon.

Thing is, i dont know if to eat a big meal or small meal or just a protein shake before workout? So many different opinions.

Currently i wake up, make a small bowl of instant oatmeal, get ready for the gym and take half a dose of preworkout, i get too itchy with over 1g of betalinine, and hit the weights, come back, shower, get dressed and eat 2-3 scrambled eggs with toast and orange juice with a multi-vitamin.

How long are your workouts? And about how much are you lifting right now and current BW/height ?

1. How much you eat -throughout- the day is far more important than just the one meal around your workout.
2. You need more protein in your current meal. Even with the 3 eggs, that is just 18g of complete protein in your meal. Aim for _at least_ 25-30g at meal.

If you don't want to change the breakfast, I would simply add one scoop of whey pre-workout with the oatmeal. You can even put the whey in the oatmeal if you like. If you don't want to supplement protein, eat 4 eggs at breakfast plus some other protein source. 75g of cooked chicken is about 23g of protein. Or you can add in a large serving of yogurt. Change the OJ to milk. Lots of options.

Honestly though one scoop of a whey or blended protein pre-workout is probably your best bet. Simple and effective. I do get the feeling though you can probably benefit and work harder if you have more than just oatmeal pre-workout. Something as simple as a banana can help with the intensity in the gym. Try out different stuff and see how you react, but (1) and (2) above are still the take away points.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Make your meals the night before. In the morning just make a shake with a cup of oats and a little fruit/brown sugar for some fast acting carbs. Win win situation