Carbs: pre and post workout only

G_E_Training

Awards
Hey guys!

Just wanted to see what you guys thought about a diet that does only uses carbs pre and post workout.

In theory, this makes sense to me:

Glycogen is vital to the muscles, we all know that. But other cells of the body can adapt and use fat for fuel.

Pre-Workout: a medium amount of complex carbs (black beans or sweet potato) pre workout, just to make sure your glycogen stores are replenished. (About 50 g of carbs at my body weight)

Immediately Post workout: simple carbohydrates with protein powder to create an insulin spike to boost protein synthesis. Also providing glycogen replenishment. (About 80 g of carbs at my body weight)

30-45 minutes post workout: complex carbs, stabilizing blood sugar and providing needed glycogen replenishment. (About 100-150 g of carbs at my body weight)

In the morning, I do a high fat high protein breakfast and have high fat high protein all day except for those three instances.

A question with this method is that are carbs necessary pre workout if I am replenishing them after the workout?

I'm 19 years and don't claim to know it all. This is just a theory I've made up putting together things I've read over the years. I weigh 210 and am fairly lean.

I know this is probably peanut butter and jelly to a lot of the guys in here and probably looks like a stupid question, but I figured it was the best place to ask it lol

I'll be testing out this diet

Thanks guys!

G_E_Training

Awards
I'll be posting results and updates while on this diet for this of you who know as little as I do haha

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sweet. Carbs only pre and post workout makes since if you're cutting. ha

G_E_Training

Awards
Sweet. Carbs only pre and post workout makes since if you're cutting. ha
Well I was thinking about it for lean bulking. Do you think it would work for that? I would still be eating about 300 g of carbs a day for my bodyweight

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
Cutting or lean bulking will come from overall nutritional/caloric intake.

For what it's worth, I try to concentrate my carb intake heavily peri-workout as well with the goal of filling glycogen stores pre and taking advantage of the improved insulin sensitivity after exercise.

With that said, recommendations for pre workout carb consumption range from ~1-4.5g/kg body weight. Not that that is a rule and there is no benefit, just guidelines I have seen.

Overall, if you're eating above maintenance, your utilization of carbs should be improved with the layout you provided and should work pretty nice for you.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I've tried various ways with my carbs and have found that this layout works best for me. Eating all in the morning leaned me out the most but I couldn't build like that as well. Eating all at night left me tired in the gym and bloated in the mornings. This has been my perfect lean bulking balance

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
Bulking: carbs at 6/7 meals full cup of rice or equivalent

Cutting: carbs at 5/7 meals 1/2 cup of rice or equivalent

Only when I get about 6-8 weeks pre contest do I cut carbs back to just around workouts.

If you're lean and 19 use this time to grow!

G_E_Training

Awards
Bulking: carbs at 6/7 meals full cup of rice or equivalent Cutting: carbs at 5/7 meals 1/2 cup of rice or equivalent Only when I get about 6-8 weeks pre contest do I cut carbs back to just around workouts. If you're lean and 19 use this time to grow!
Yea exactly and I'm just looking for the best natural way to grow right now and I thought having good insulin sensitivity and being able to take advantage of that post workout will boost insulin sensitivity, which lead to increased protein synthesis, which leads to gaaiiinnnnzzzz.

I'm kinda lean. About 15% bodyfat right now at 210 pounds and almost 6 foot height. I wanna be shredded as FUARK but I know I just need to take advantage of the raging hormones I have right now haha just looking for the best way to build that foundation though.

Thanks for the support

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
Yea exactly and I'm just looking for the best natural way to grow right now and I thought having good insulin sensitivity and being able to take advantage of that post workout will boost insulin sensitivity, which lead to increased protein synthesis, which leads to gaaiiinnnnzzzz. I'm kinda lean. About 15% bodyfat right now at 210 pounds and almost 6 foot height. I wanna be shredded as FUARK but I know I just need to take advantage of the raging hormones I have right now haha just looking for the best way to build that foundation though. Thanks for the support
Stay around 15%
Keep slowly bumping up calories til may

Then hit a cut in May through summer to drop to 10% and you'll be fine

I wouldn't suggest trying to cut down to 7% and the back up again or you could lose a bunchif muscle in the process

G_E_Training

Awards
Stay around 15% Keep slowly bumping up calories til may Then hit a cut in May through summer to drop to 10% and you'll be fine I wouldn't suggest trying to cut down to 7% and the back up again or you could lose a bunchif muscle in the process
Alright bud that sounds awesome that's what I'll go for than. Thanks!

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
I recently started having carbs in my post workout shake (I train first thing) and to be honest I notice I stay fuller for longer (muscle and stomach) after my workout but not noticed anything else as of yet.

Contopaxi

Contopaxi

Awards
Completely useless when body composition is your main goal.
I ate a bulk of my carbs probably 2 hours before bed during my last cut and still got shredded.
Nutrition timing means very little when body composition is the goal.

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
About a year ago I was going on a blind date while cutting with low carb intake.the previous day I dit Fst 7 for tri's and bi's and consumed 6-8 alcohol free beers before bed..went on blind date nexy day swole as hell

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
About a year ago I was going on a blind date while cutting with low carb intake.the previous day I dit Fst 7 for tri's and bi's and consumed 6-8 alcohol free beers before bed..went on blind date nexy day swole as hell
Haha that's decent. How did the date go? Did they compliment or mention your swolness?

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
I don't eat much before my workout because I lift in the mornings. I pretty much get up, drink pw, grab a Pop Tart package, banana, protein, Creatine, Glutamine shake and BCAA drink and head to the gym. I drink some coffee and eat one Pop Tart on the way. I start BCAA's while I'm working out and finish throughout the morning. I drink my shake, other Pop Tart and banana on the way home from the gym. Breakfast sometime an hour or two later of carbs and protein. I understand that it's important to get carbs in as close to the completion of your workout as possible. It's even been said that carbs like Gummie Bears is best. I read that in a Jim Stomppani, PH.D article.

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
Haha that's decent. How did the date go? Did they compliment or mention your swolness?
My friend did,she never met me so she didn't really say much

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
And no,but to be fair I didn't want her to either,there aren't many things that put me off,but one of the things that do is if she iw stupid

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
And no,but to be fair I didn't want her to either,there aren't many things that put me off,but one of the things that do is if she iw stupid
100% agrees with this. Who wants to be in a relationship with a fish?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
that's silly. you don't need to have sex with her brain

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Does nutrient timing really matter? From everything I've read it's all about daily/weekly calories.

Contopaxi

Contopaxi

Awards
Does nutrient timing really matter? From everything I've read it's all about daily/weekly calories.
Where body composition ( weight loss / gain ) is the goal,
Nutrient timing does not matter.
Sure it can help with energy levels with training etc but with body composition no.

It may be more beneficial when dieting down to single digit bf% but even then it would be minimal

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
This approach is considered a targeted keto or timed carb... I personally only eat carbs pre bed at around 100-150g's

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Tbh I was a diet tweaker. Very cautious on when I consume all my macros. It was good but in all honesty I just make sure I hit all my macros for the day and I don't even worry when I take my carbs. I'm seeing better results not being so meticulous and just eat. I've even been eating cereal almost everyday even at night and it's not breaking any physical appearance.

If your not competition imo it doesn't matter. This is from personal experience. Now if u want to cut that's a diff story. Recomp or bulk it shouldn't matter much.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Tbh I was a diet tweaker. Very cautious on when I consume all my macros. It was good but in all honesty I just make sure I hit all my macros for the day and I don't even worry when I take my carbs. I'm seeing better results not being so meticulous and just eat. I've even been eating cereal almost everyday even at night and it's not breaking any physical appearance.

If your not competition imo it doesn't matter. This is from personal experience. Now if u want to cut that's a diff story. Recomp or bulk it shouldn't matter much.
This... the mental stress you put yourself under with dieting and macros, etc... will ultimately hinder results. Im carb sensitive so thats why I plan them a little better.

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
I think I'm carb sensitive too. I don't eat many carbs normally, yet I can't get my stomach to go away. Plus I tend to feel tired after any significant amount of carbs. Maybe I should get my test levels checked....

Contopaxi

Contopaxi

Awards
I think I'm carb sensitive too. I don't eat many carbs normally, yet I can't get my stomach to go away. Plus I tend to feel tired after any significant amount of carbs. Maybe I should get my test levels checked....
You do know that carbs don't make you fat?
Maybe you need to re-evaluate your total calorie intake

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
You do know that carbs don't make you fat? Maybe you need to re-evaluate your total calorie intake
Wow! Whatever your on has done something interesting to your face :)

G_E_Training

Awards
This approach is considered a targeted keto or timed carb... I personally only eat carbs pre bed at around 100-150g's
Yea I've played around with carbs and eating them either pre and post workout, or just waiting till the evening, has been showing some good progress.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Hey guys!

Just wanted to see what you guys thought about a diet that does only uses carbs pre and post workout.

In theory, this makes sense to me:

Glycogen is vital to the muscles, we all know that. But other cells of the body can adapt and use fat for fuel.

Pre-Workout: a medium amount of complex carbs (black beans or sweet potato) pre workout, just to make sure your glycogen stores are replenished. (About 50 g of carbs at my body weight)

Immediately Post workout: simple carbohydrates with protein powder to create an insulin spike to boost protein synthesis. Also providing glycogen replenishment. (About 80 g of carbs at my body weight)

30-45 minutes post workout: complex carbs, stabilizing blood sugar and providing needed glycogen replenishment. (About 100-150 g of carbs at my body weight)

In the morning, I do a high fat high protein breakfast and have high fat high protein all day except for those three instances.

A question with this method is that are carbs necessary pre workout if I am replenishing them after the workout?

I'm 19 years and don't claim to know it all. This is just a theory I've made up putting together things I've read over the years. I weigh 210 and am fairly lean.

I know this is probably peanut butter and jelly to a lot of the guys in here and probably looks like a stupid question, but I figured it was the best place to ask it lol

I'll be testing out this diet

Thanks guys!
50g of carbs pre-workout won't replenish glycogen stores? Unless i'm misinterpreting what you are saying? The post workout timing is a myth as protein synthesis is up-regulated hours post workout and carbs at anytime beyond that will still be used to replenish glycogen stores. It is a good idea to get a meal in pre-exercise if possible but that will carry over to the post workout window OR a meal afterward if training fasted, but both is not needed (but may be preferred).

In either case, having both wont matter but just letting you know that they both arn't needed :D

I do follow the same protocol as you:

Breakfast:

High Fat, High protein, low carb

Lunch:

High carb, High Protein, Low fat

Post workout

High Carb, High protein, low fat

Dinner:

High Fat, High Protein, Low carb

I like this for no other reason that it has helped my recovery.

Xrkc6x

Xrkc6x

Awards
  • Established
for what is worth, i used to take 50g of glycofuse (maltodextrin) and 30g of isolated proteins before my WO, then have jsut protein, islated as a post wo... it wasn't working really well for me, i was tired and empty... flat...

its benn 2 weeks now, i am using as a pre WO, 25g of glycofuse with 30g PES Select proteins and as a post WO 30g Dextrose and 30g PES proteins

im feeling much better, more fullness but NOT in the wrong places, only muscles and i feel restored and solid and leaner :)

i have also added 50g of carbs in the morning in the form of brown rice cakes + PES proteins + 25g oats and im good, then lunch time 100g brown basmati rice.

the above is the all amount of carbs i am eating now :)

of course i have not mentioned the proteins apart the powders :)

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
for what is worth, i used to take 50g of glycofuse (maltodextrin) and 30g of isolated proteins before my WO, then have jsut protein, islated as a post wo... it wasn't working really well for me, i was tired and empty... flat...

its benn 2 weeks now, i am using as a pre WO, 25g of glycofuse with 30g PES Select proteins and as a post WO 30g Dextrose and 30g PES proteins

im feeling much better, more fullness but NOT in the wrong places, only muscles and i feel restored and solid and leaner :)

i have also added 50g of carbs in the morning in the form of brown rice cakes + PES proteins + 25g oats and im good, then lunch time 100g brown basmati rice.

the above is the all amount of carbs i am eating now :)

of course i have not mentioned the proteins apart the powders :)
Thats where the differences would be. How you feel you respond to any given protocol.

What best suits you should take precedence always

Xrkc6x

Xrkc6x

Awards
  • Established
yep i did a simple test and it worked as i was not understanding why i was feeling so flat and looking so flat as well..... with just this little change.... BOOM :) i am still wondering if adding some carbs for dinner would be beneficial or not but i am afraid of doing it :) i usually have my dinner at 10pm then my pre sleep meal (proteins PES select) at 00.30 so i am not sure.... im floating between 69-70kg 176cm height and 6ish % fat it depends on timing and days but roughly that is the amount of fat, i am pretty much lean and im happy :)

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I've been doing most of my carbs in the eveing and pre bed the last few months and I really like it. A little pre workout and then the bulk of them post.

Xrkc6x

Xrkc6x

Awards
  • Established
I've been doing most of my carbs in the eveing and pre bed the last few months and I really like it. A little pre workout and then the bulk of them post.
I know You now ;)

Xrkc6x

Xrkc6x

Awards
  • Established
I'm in the gym doing my SSC, I'll have my dextrose + select proteins as post wo and then tonight I'll give it a try... I'll have 200g brown rice for dinner with my chicken and I'll see tomorrow upon wake up how I'll look if bloated or not lol I'll be able to see the difference I know myself :) it's all about testing on your body and only doing this way you'll know how things work for yourself :)

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I'm in the gym doing my SSC, I'll have my dextrose + select proteins as post wo and then tonight I'll give it a try... I'll have 200g brown rice for dinner with my chicken and I'll see tomorrow upon wake up how I'll look if bloated or not lol I'll be able to see the difference I know myself :) it's all about testing on your body and only doing this way you'll know how things work for yourself :)
don't be afraid to play around with different carb sources too. Certain ones (oats for instance) make me gassy and bloated all day the next day

Xrkc6x

Xrkc6x

Awards
  • Established
I had rice and 5 rice cakes I just woke up and I am same as yesterday less hungry :)

Jjbballs

Jjbballs

Awards
I had a very long lift yesterday and just started drinking my protein mid lift

Xrkc6x

Xrkc6x

Awards
  • Established
It happened to me too lol I slso drink my bcaa when I'm hungry

Battossi

Awards
If you're serious about gaining strength and size you need to have your main source of energy (carbs in your case) after hours. Don't cram them all in pre workout. You fuel yourself for tomorrow's workout the minute you eat post workout. Most of my 600+ grams of carbs come from mixed sources. Simple or complex. They are all just glucose

Xrkc6x

Xrkc6x

Awards
  • Established
If you're serious about gaining strength and size you need to have your main source of energy (carbs in your case) after hours. Don't cram them all in pre workout. You fuel yourself for tomorrow's workout the minute you eat post workout. Most of my 600+ grams of carbs come from mixed sources. Simple or complex. They are all just glucose
i usually have 50g maltodextrin+30g select proteins 1,5h before WO and then as a post WO ill have 25g maltodextrin+25g dextrose+30g select proteins with 3x R-ALA caps 150mg each to help deliver the nutrients and help the Insuline to not spike up and reduce the impact that the GI of the above maltodextrin+dextreso have on the blood sugars level, hence Insuline spikes.

then afte about 1h ill have my dinner, usually 200g of chicken breast and some veggies :)

Battossi

Awards
i usually have 50g maltodextrin+30g select proteins 1,5h before WO and then as a post WO ill have 25g maltodextrin+25g dextrose+30g select proteins with 3x R-ALA caps 150mg each to help deliver the nutrients and help the Insuline to not spike up and reduce the impact that the GI of the above maltodextrin+dextreso have on the blood sugars level, hence Insuline spikes.

then afte about 1h ill have my dinner, usually 200g of chicken breast and some veggies :)
Are you diabetic?

Xrkc6x

Xrkc6x

Awards
  • Established
Are you diabetic?
nope :) but even if i am not, stacking R-ALA with the high GI supps especially after a WO helps to deliver the nutrients in a better way. One more thing, important thing, is not overload the pancreas so also it helps prevent this :)

Battossi

Awards
nope :) but even if i am not, stacking R-ALA with the high GI supps especiall after a WO helps to deliver the nutrients in a better way.
doubtful that it would do anything enough to even add an ounce to your gains in a year. The glycemic index is not to be used for bodybuilding purposes unless you are on insulin (pro bodybuilding) and even then it's iffy. If you are active your insulin should work as intended. You don't automatically absorb nutrients the moment you swallow...Infact ...what you ate yesterday before bed is actually what's fueling you today.

Ala is something from 90s bodybuilding. If you have to use a nutrient partition supplement....you're better off using agmatine. 1 g everyday.

To be honest ...macros and nutrient profile of foods coupled with training is what gets people big. 99% of it.

I would save money and go back to the basics.