tips to up my calorie intake?

tombo

Awards
Hi everyone! Ive been trying to put on weight for a while now with not much success. Ive been aiming for 3500+ calls a day, but because of my job I'm finding it hard. eating plenty of eggs, chicken, rice, greens, fish etc. limiting my cardio etc. i was wondering what people do for snacks between meals to bump up cal intake thats low in fat, can be eaten on the go and pref won't need to be refrigerated? any advice will be appreciated?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just make meals that I love, and cook enough to eat it all day long. Spaghetti, meatloaf, I ate 5 hamburgers yesterday, chicken and rice ect. I just make sense foods I guess?

In between meals if I'm hungry and not looking to splurge, I usually go with Controlled Labs Gold Feast or Quest Bars. Both options are low fat.

Yolked

Awards
  • Established
Hi everyone! Ive been trying to put on weight for a while now with not much success. Ive been aiming for 3500+ calls a day, but because of my job I'm finding it hard. eating plenty of eggs, chicken, rice, greens, fish etc. limiting my cardio etc. i was wondering what people do for snacks between meals to bump up cal intake thats low in fat, can be eaten on the go and pref won't need to be refrigerated? any advice will be appreciated?
Dried fruit, nuts (almonds cashews etc, not peanuts), Jerky(all sorts nowdays).... protein bars... Snickers bars are pretty good as far as candy bars go... it's still candy tho lol.. when I'm training balls out I used to be able to eat EVERYTHING and never gain body fat. Just watch total Cal intake so you don't gain fat.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Replace chicken with a red meat, add olive oil to your rice, cheese on your eggs.... thats increase your cals without snacks... trail mix is a great snacker plus the m&m's help with cravings

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You could maybe try throwing in a couple mass gainer and protein shakes in between meals. I like to do that when im bulking. I'll use a serving of whatever mass gainer i have and a serving of blended protein powder and do that twice a day while im at work. Inbetween breakfast and lunch and then in between lunch and my after work meal. haha

Yolked

Awards
  • Established
Use "Ensure" (nutritional drinks) to make your protein shakes instead of water... just add the powder... especially if you can't tolerate milk.

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
Use "Ensure" (nutritional drinks) to make your protein shakes instead of water... just add the powder... especially if you can't tolerate milk.
+1, when I was younger I drank 2-3.cans a day of these.

eissac.llamas

eissac.llamas

Awards
Tombo,

the above is all great advice! Especially the ensure, I have never tried that. seems cool.

A big thing for you, is to be getting in MORE food when you can since you're on time constraints.

A few tricks to do this are as follow..

1) supplement digestive enzymes daily.
2) fattier foods (not really suggested you want to keep a decent body composition)
3)Supplement Protein. 2-3 shakes a day TOPS
I personally love the LG Science's White Chocolate protein
mindandmuscle.net/articles/product/9804/

Nutrient timing is big, too! What do your meals normally look like

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
Replace chicken with a red meat, add olive oil to your rice, cheese on your eggs.... thats increase your cals without snacks... trail mix is a great snacker plus the m&m's help with cravings
You forgot the avocados!

classic27

Peanut butter, nuts, milk, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, fruit, beef jerky, boiled eggs, instant oatmeal, boost drinks, juice, natural cheese, trail mix, deli meat, whole grain crackers, whole grain fig newtons, olive oil, tuna with mayo, and of course supplements

707kid

Awards
Get a blender. Milk, protein powder, bananas, oats, peanut butter, etc. Each one can run about 700 - 800 calories.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
Just a little tip I've learned lately that is nice and subtle. Use frozen bananas instead of ice in your protein shakes. You'll up your calories a little and it's way tastier than ice.

Yolked

Awards
  • Established
Just a little tip I've learned lately that is nice and subtle. Use frozen bananas instead of ice in your protein shakes. You'll up your calories a little and it's way tastier than ice.
Yeah but too many bananas wreak havoc on my stomach

Akagami

Awards
Get a blender. Milk, protein powder, bananas, oats, peanut butter, etc. Each one can run about 700 - 800 calories.
This.

Or Oreos. If you wanna bulk don't be afraid to eat "junk".

Akagami

Awards
I did this for awhile and it eventually broke my blender!! The motor was (and still is) fine, but the banana got caught/stuck in the blade and took the whole part that spins out of place. It will spin for about a second until it spins out of place and the motor is just going.

Lesson learned: cut the bananas very, very, small.

Battossi

Awards
Oat powder mixed with protein powder. Go to the bathroom and chug that mofo with water.

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
Similar to ensure, I just got a box of packets called Breakfast Essentials. I can usually carry them with me to class and drop em in a shaker cup of water and they aren't bad. Easy 130 cals with 27c/5p/.5f. Also Fit n Active Crisps. Got em at Aldi's for real cheap. 170 cals with 33c/2p/3f. And even just pieces of straight bread with nothing on em. If you're doing a relatively high carb diet to bulk, you could seriously just take some bread with you wherever and chow down. Not the best tasting and may back ya up, but it gets the job done.

jerisonross

jerisonross

Awards
Just add food to your diet weekly. Even a granola bar makes a difference . if consistent. Just gotta be a monster in the kitchen and a lot of patience haha

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Not sure whats the difficulty honestly.. milk, pb, whey, banana, honey....600-700 cals and tastes delicious

Battossi

Awards
Not sure whats the difficulty honestly.. milk, pb, whey, banana, honey....600-700 cals and tastes delicious
You know what it is. That skinny guy struggle " I can't gain weight "

Someone get this guy a rice cooker or a crock pot and save his life.

2 servings of rice made Chinese style +2 scoops of whey in a shaker cup and 2 peanut butter,jelly and honey sammich in a bag +bananas + crock pot filled with potatos ,rice, chicken and a lb of beef in some sort of sauce or broth.

That's over 5000 calories with breakfast it's over. That's what I would do with a physical job.

I would however go for the skinny guy savior and get some no fat chocolate syurp plus honey plus sauces. You can add calories without even trying

Please note I am currently eating 4100 calories and have had to fill 5k+ before. Low fat ish diet as well.

jaces

jaces

Awards
just start drinking more milk... (if you arent intolarent to milk)... full cream or low fat has a good carb-prot-fat ratio and mix it with those milkshake powders if you arent afraid of sugar

Doomzday

Doomzday

Awards
What Jaces said. I used milk to bulk from 68 kgs to 78 in under a year. I drank 2 cartons a day in addition to regular meals, cus milk is liquid. U might **** a lot and fart tho

In addition, eat the kitchen sink. If u can't tolerate milk, do this

Eat all leftovers from what your mom cooks and don't be afraid of fast food. At least during your bulk phase

To give you an idea of what bulking is, u need to FORCE growth. U need to eat WAY more than usual. To give you an idea, when I was bulking, I was ALWAYS full and cried myself to sleep every night after my nightly milk carton empties.

jaces

jaces

Awards
haha yeah that gallon of milk a day thing isnt for the fant hearted.. but bros gotta try it...

Battossi

Awards
just start drinking more milk... (if you arent intolarent to milk)... full cream or low fat has a good carb-prot-fat ratio and mix it with those milkshake powders if you arent afraid of sugar
White rice too! A 10 lb bag is 6$ here!

jaces

jaces

Awards
yeah i live in south africa so its about 20 rand for a 2ķg of basmati so thats about a dollar a pound ... were milk for a 2l carton is about a dollar or two...

jaces

jaces

Awards
but its cheaper than supplements for us... i mean a bottel of jack3d costs about 500 rand ... and the average persone here makes about 5 to 10grand so its insanely expensive

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
a spoonful of peanut butter or nutella

genthoseffect

genthoseffect

Awards
A very simple fix that works wonders...add a tbs of extra virgin olive oil to each meal. Depending on how many meals you eat, that is an extra 600+ quality calories a day

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
What do you like to eat most? Make a list, and then make sure you eat more of it straight away.

Also are you tracking your calories with an app like my fitnesspal? its hard to second guess how much you need to eat without it.

elhosk

Awards
What do you like to eat most? Make a list, and then make sure you eat more of it straight away.

Also are you tracking your calories with an app like my fitnesspal? its hard to second guess how much you need to eat without it.
How accurate do you find fitnesspal? Seemed to be off on a lot of items when I used it.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
How accurate do you find fitnesspal? Seemed to be off on a lot of items when I used it.
So true that! the trick is to compare with several different ones. like if I search for potato there are 10 different results. i look at the ones that all basically have the same numbers and then choose a 'verified' item if it is avail. At least then you can say that it is MOSTLY correct.
For packaged foods its easy because i go by the nutrional panel.
The worst is when you are eating out in a restaurant, its anybody's guess then :)

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
240mls whole milk, 2 tbsp peanut butter...

EVOO on everything...

Its impossible NOT to hit higher cals with fats

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
240mls whole milk, 2 tbsp peanut butter...

EVOO on everything...

Its impossible NOT to hit higher cals with fats
This, oils, nuts, and nut butters. Easily get more cals in by doing this. Or even fattier meat.

HJH

Awards
Condensed milk

jaces

jaces

Awards
too much sugar for me.. always ate that **** with rice krispies .. explains why i was fat lol

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you want my advice....potatos(easy to cook with)

Canola oil (semi tasteless oil that can be added to cooking)

Flax seed (tasteless pretty much)

Bagels and English muffins(I like whole wheat )

Tortillas.

Breakfast cereal with lower added sugars.

These are all cheap, good macros, healthy ,and calorie dense foods that can tremendously increase your calorie intake.

You can so use chocolate syurp like I used to.

elhosk

Awards
too much sugar for me.. always ate that **** with rice krispies .. explains why i was fat lol
lol i'm going to get some and have it with rice krispies now, sounds perfect

jaces

jaces

Awards
lol i'm going to get some and have it with rice krispies now, sounds perfect
yeah its like a thing in South Africa.. your mom would make the rice krispies and condensmilk(or thick caramel)then put it on a cone like ice cream..

jaces

jaces

Awards
If you want my advice....potatos(easy to cook with)

Canola oil (semi tasteless oil that can be added to cooking)

Flax seed (tasteless pretty much)

Bagels and English muffins(I like whole wheat )

Tortillas.

Breakfast cereal with lower added sugars.

These are all cheap, good macros, healthy ,and calorie dense foods that can tremendously increase your calorie intake.

You can so use chocolate syurp like I used to.
o yeah some patato wedges with bbq spice.. that **** is good

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
o yeah some patato wedges with bbq spice.. that **** is good
Why are you stalking me on myfitnesspal. THAT'S MY MEAL TONIGHT!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My favorite is hard boiled eggs (munching on them all day so you're always full), and doing shots of EVOO

jaces

jaces

Awards
My favorite is hard boiled eggs (munching on them all day so you're always full), and doing shots of EVOO
hard boiled eggs.. low fat myo.. low gi bread.. easy ''egg salad'' sandwich

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Use avocado or tzatziki sauce instead of mayo and thank me later.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
A can of flavoured tuna and some rice works well. Or with potato. Tuna goes well with just about anything!

Then have some dark chocolate. (that is not an option btw)