Older Lifters: Waist Size Changes?

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
We all know that diet plays the bigger role in bulking. My questions are directed at the older lifters 40+ but all comments are welcome:

1) What is your normal waist size fluctuation in a bulk? Mine increases from 33 to 35 and I start to become concerned about excess fat gain.

2) How many pounds do you allow yourself to gain before you get concerned and proceed into a cut? How long do you hold on to the excess fat weight until you decide to cut?

I feel like I'm sabotaging my muscle development by not having a handle on this fat gain.

uscmbausmc

Awards
I am 54, weigh 215 and have ~ 7% BF. As I begin to train heavier, I gain weight but, I typically have no problems with fat. My waist is always between 32 and 34. My weight fluctuates between 195 and 225. Bench: 300, Squat: 315, Deadlift: 405. From what I have come to understand, your concerns relative to fat acquisition, may be rooted in diet, sleep patterns, genetics and training methods.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am 54, weigh 215 and have ~ 7% BF. As I begin to train heavier, I gain weight but, I typically have no problems with fat. My waist is always between 32 and 34. My weight fluctuates between 195 and 225. Bench: 300, Squat: 315, Deadlift: 405. From what I have come to understand, your concerns relative to fat acquisition, may be rooted in diet, sleep patterns, genetics and training methods.
Very nice physique and lifts USC! I'm the same age and absolutely agree those factors play a role. From what you posted a 30 lb weight fluctuation and 2 inches in the waist is your bulking normal. Thanks.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
40, but I don't bulk anymore as recomp has served me much better. Speaking of when I would run a bulk each winter/spring, my normal 32 waist would increase to about a 33, but that would generally always be water weight gain.

My walking around weight is about 205-210 and when I would bulk, I'd get up around 220. I looked like a monster, but that was not a good weight for me and slowed me considerably.

max d

Awards
  • Established
Are you on TRT?

uscmbausmc

Awards
Ken, I just looked at your waist increases again. Those don't seem too bad. You are still far ahead of your contemporaries.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
40, but I don't bulk anymore as recomp has served me much better. Speaking of when I would run a bulk each winter/spring, my normal 32 waist would increase to about a 33, but that would generally always be water weight gain. My walking around weight is about 205-210 and when I would bulk, I'd get up around 220. I looked like a monster, but that was not a good weight for me and slowed me considerably.
So about 15 lb weight fluctuation and 1 inch waist increase. Thanks.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Any other bulking 50 somethings?