cardio while bulking

zach195

zach195

Awards
Heu guys, currently I'm on a bulking cycle, I was extremely obese at one point in time so physiologically I'm not wanting to put on unnecessary fat, it'll be a 9 month bulk, and I'm only wanting to put on about 10 clean pounds. So I want to put it on slowly. In order to keep fat down, I was thinking of doing cardio 3-4 times a week. My question is should I be doing an hour of walking fasted in the morning and my first meal directly after, or hiit for 20 min? Which will have most impact on fat without sacrificing muscle? Thanks

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Your thinking seems kind of flawed. Unless you have a metabolic disorder, the only thing that will make u fat is eating too much. It doesn't matter if u were fat at one point, if u keep diet on track and workout, you will not get fat. Ten slow pounds over 9 months isn't really a bulk IMO, there are guys who can gain a .5-1 pound a week so yiure really talking more of a recomp/lean bulk which is fine and definitely advisable if you were once overweight. This being said,

As for the cardio... On a bulk, if u can- avoid it. If you WANT to do it, id suggest 1-2 HIIT sessions after weights and 1 MISS session fasted in the AM. Bc MISS doesn't stimulate metabolism following the session like HIIT does, id actually hold off on eating for at least 1 hour after the session to max fat burning.

For your goals, focus on 4-5 weight sessions per week, 1-3 cardio sessions, and 1-2 days off for recovery. Keep diet high in clean calories and you should hit your goal no problem!

heybeavis1

heybeavis1

Awards
I think you´re best looking for ways to improve insulin sensitivity. Things you could implement on your bulk:
- Carb Cycling
- Finishers sets
- Eccentric-less training (because exacerbated excentric phase of a movement impair insulin sensitivity)
- Less rest between sets / supersets (instead of cardio, it can keep you conditioned during the bulk)
- Supplementing with GDA´s (Metformin, Recompadrol, Glycobol, NA-Rala, etc)
- Strongman sessions (farmer walk, sled pushes/drags, prowler, tire flipping)

zach195

zach195

Awards
Thanks for the reply. I know what your saying and I didn't really word that how I should of. I'm deployed atm and there is no possible way to count calories or macros. All I got is a best guess approximatly. All I ever eat is brocolli, chicken, beef, sweet potatoe, tuna, and rice, the cleanest the chow hall offers. I get a dessert about twice a week. I have to stay in good enough shape for the 2 mile run on the apft so I do have to do cardio at some point in time. I'm eating high protein, moderate carbs and moderate fat, and I've put on a decent layer of fat since starting this bulk, so I wanted to add in some extra cardio.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
I don't know how to answer your specific question, but what I can tell you is that it's very hard to put on any comparable size without gaining at least some fat. You're better off picking a goal and achieving that. For example, bulk, then cut.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
I don't see any reason not to use SOME cardio while bulking but has many benefits like heart health. Maybe toss in a GDA like sns glycophase to help shuttle nutritients.

iddc

iddc

Awards
I don't see any reason not to use SOME cardio while bulking but has many benefits like heart health. Maybe toss in a GDA like sns glycophase to help shuttle nutritients.
Agree!

I like to add HIIT sessions 2-3 times a week.

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
I'd say grab a GDA, and do the type of cardio that doesn't hurt your performance in the gym. For example, my legs don't recover well enough from lifting them twice in 5 days, and if I included a HIIT session. So I just walk my dog in the morning for 15 minutes everyday. Keeping me lean thus far.

I agree with what Abe Lincoln said too, some cardio should be done for the health benefits.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would just walk. It takes almost no energy so you can use your energy to lift. HIIT is good but I would t do too much of it since it takes so much energy.

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
HIIT while bulking and utilizing increased volume is very beneficial but can hamper recovery.

Other than that, cals taken from cardio will be just that and nothing more.

There are toggling programs, but for all intents and purposes, stick to one goal.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Your thinking seems kind of flawed. Unless you have a metabolic disorder, the only thing that will make u fat is eating too much. It doesn't matter if u were fat at one point, if u keep diet on track and workout, you will not get fat. Ten slow pounds over 9 months isn't really a bulk IMO, there are guys who can gain a .5-1 pound a week so yiure really talking more of a recomp/lean bulk which is fine and definitely advisable if you were once overweight. This being said,

As for the cardio... On a bulk, if u can- avoid it. If you WANT to do it, id suggest 1-2 HIIT sessions after weights and 1 MISS session fasted in the AM. Bc MISS doesn't stimulate metabolism following the session like HIIT does, id actually hold off on eating for at least 1 hour after the session to max fat burning.

For your goals, focus on 4-5 weight sessions per week, 1-3 cardio sessions, and 1-2 days off for recovery. Keep diet high in clean calories and you should hit your goal no problem!
This is the best advice I've seen for you so far. I follow a 4 week strength/ 4 week hypertrophy protocol, and using metabolic conditioning along with HIIT has kept me growing and as lean as possible. I eat everything in sight.

I don't know how to answer your specific question, but what I can tell you is that it's very hard to put on any comparable size without gaining at least some fat. You're better off picking a goal and achieving that. For example, bulk, then cut.
This is kind of an outmoded idea these days. Finding your TDEE and going 200 to 500 cals. over can keep you growing and lean pretty well. I've seen a lot of people, on here and in my area, have great success following this method.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
This is kind of an outmoded idea these days. Finding your TDEE and going 200 to 500 cals. over can keep you growing and lean pretty well. I've seen a lot of people, on here and in my area, have great success following this method.
I didn't say it was impossible. I also didn't advocate for a dirty bulk. I'm just saying, it's difficult to try to only gain muscle while remaining exceptionally lean. In my opinion, it's easier to focus on one goal and then another rather than do something that requires so much precision. From what I've seen its 10-20% over your TDEE. The ones that are able to do this well are usually professionals and or this is their life. I'm going to out on a limb and say this guy is a normal working dude and doesn't have a pro card. I still say bulk for 12 weeks or so and then cut for 12. But do what you want. I feel like I can get more out of my bulk or cut if I focus on one or the other.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
When im bulking i dont even know what cardio is. hahah. But between fasted walking or hit, i would suggest hit if your training to keep muscle and burn fat at the same time.

jarod86

Awards
A 30-45 minute walk on an inclined treadmill @ 65% approx. of my max HR (120-130bmp) once a week the day after legs to help get the blood flowing again while bulking is what I do.

guido6701

Awards
Very interesting discussion.

I do cardio twice a week and I'm bulking. I like the elliptical for 15 minutes and then the treadmill for 10 minutes - one minute walk at 3.0 then one minute run at 7.0.........

I did a lot of HIIT and no weights for about a year and a half so I don't want to loose my endurance. Plus, I kinda like it. I don't believe it'll hamper my progress that much.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Think more on a macro scale - HIIT will benefit you better in the longer run due to its adaptations. Dont view cardio as burning off fat right there and then; its the overall daily benefits that will serve you better.

I always recommend people maintain some form of conditioning- not due to fat burning but for the adaptations it brings. Its possible to enhance aerobic and anaerobic capacity either exclusively or simultaneously if you utilise the right work:rest ratios and % of heart rate maximum through intervals (1:0.5, 1:2, 1:4 etc.).

a lot of people avoid cardio and state it hinders gains - a lot of the union and league players I see come in develop both and are extremely huge. You can do both.

To answer OPs question - do some HIIT.

jmyers

jmyers

Awards
  • Established
I'm on a "bulk" and I'm doing 4 cardio sessions a week; 2 HIIT for 15 mins and 2 LISS for 30 mins. I fit them in during the week and day whenever I can. There has been so much recent research that dispels any type of benefit over fed cardio verses fasted cardio. Just fit it in whenever it is convenient for you. I use cardio during a "bulk" for 2 reasons and they are to keep my metabolism firing and to help with nutrient partitioning.

Just my $.02, LOL

JTR12

Banned
Awards
HIIT will keep fat gains to a minimum. It depends on your routine, though: I don't like weights and intervals on the same day. Too taxing. YMMV.

ThiBezerra

Awards
"heybeavis1", execellent reply my bro, excellent

classic27

Do cardio year around. It's good for your body. Health is as important as muscle. It also makes me very hungry.

TexasGuy

Awards
Cardio won't kill a bulk. Just out eat the calorie expenditure. I like LISS cardio when I'm bulking. Nothing wrong with keeping the ticker healthy and your body able to carry around the extra weight.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
HIIT cardio when bulking keeps you fit and healthy! 'metabolic conditioning' is important if you are really serious about health, bulking or not.

TexasGuy

Awards
HIIT cardio when bulking keeps you fit and healthy! 'metabolic conditioning' is important if you are really serious about health, bulking or not.
HIIT has always been a little over the top for my fried nervous system in the mix with an intense bulking training program.

elhosk

Awards
I tried running breathing only through my nose while bulking which keeps you going incredibly slowly even by my standards and it actually helped my recovery. Best to be done at night though because it looks awful. Outside of a bulk I prefer HIIT

Shasow

Shasow

Banned
Awards
It's important for my body type to keep my metabolism ticking over so I can get enough food in. So yes any type of activity can do that including planned LISS or HIIT although I'm not a fan of the latter as it hampers recovery time for where I need it most (with weights).

reaper5966

Awards
All in a diet bro u won't sacrifice muscle if u eat right and feed the body what it needs

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Iceman013 Cycle Logs 6
Training Forum 23
SR83 Training Forum 7
Bulking 27
Training Forum 6