What's the best time of day to eat a high-protein meal

Clowers

Awards
Does having a lot of protein for breakfast contribute to muscle growth as much as a big dinner? Or more?

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Depends when you hit the gym.

I have been led to believe that in the morning your muscles will be begging for a quick protein source but still you can only absorb so much in one sitting. But with a more primed insulin sensitivity first thing in the morning and post workout my guess is both the morning and post workout.

reps4jesus

reps4jesus

Awards
High protein all throughout the day. And carbs PWO and post workout.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your protein should be spread out though the day with any extra coming post workout in the form of a quick digesting protein such as whey protein isolate.

The first meal of the day I like to keep as a whole meal and limit shakes as much as possible but, that's just personal preference.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
BOLUS of protein spread throughout the day 3-5 hours apart would be optimal for MPS

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
I typically keep a large amount around my workout. Though I also train first thing in the morning.

PreWO - IFN Whey + Oats
Intra - Glycofuse
PostWO - Steak + Pineapple + Rice

AlberTOP

AlberTOP

Awards
If you really need to bulk up then you have to have to have protein meals in all of your meals plus maybe a protein shake twice a day probably before and after workout. :)

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
this.. human data supports this statement.
^^^ Agreed. I personally save my highest meal though just before bed, late dinner normally. That way i feel if i take in 60g+ it will help aid in recovery overnight.