Opinions on my new diet

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
What's up guys, I've been creeping these type forums for years now but I just recently joined. Here's the deal, I was training hard to compete in my first physique show. Was I ready for one? Not by any means but it was a goal to work towards and push myself to achieve. I made amazing progress with my diet/supps/training but then boom I got hit with a weird seizure like event (some rare freak migraine) that left me in the hospital for a weak on some insane antibiotics because they thought I had a weird disease. Good news, no weird disease, just a freak migraine. Two weeks later I got the stomach flu, next month I got a horrible case of mono and was hospitalized. I lost 26lbs. That's a lot for a normal dude but I'm 5 foot 8 inches. Literally my entire build vanished. Now I'm back in the game training my butt off and I've hired a diet coach and trainer. I need your guys honest opinion.
Stats: 5 foot 8 inches, 19 years old
Weight : (I was 165lbs) currently 145lbs and I'd guess 10-12% body fat (abs pretty visible and vascular legs and arms)
Supps: bcaa, protein, fish oils

The diet he has me on is 6 meals a day, 42g protein (minimum), 66g complex carbs, and no more than 12g of fat. Plus protein shake at the gym after my workout. He also is having me take two fish oil capsules at every meal and a serving of 3 grams BCAA's 3 times a day (morning, one hour before workout, an hour before bed).

In the last 3 weeks I've out on roughly 4-5lbs but I was so deflated before and slightly dehydrated when I weighed in that most of it has to be carbs and water.

Thanks for your input guys, I'll consider anything and everything.

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
I realized I forgot to mention my goal here, hard to give diet advice without a goal. Anyway, my goal is a lean bulk. I want to end up near 165 and around 10% body fat. Then I'll start my contest prep

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
I'm not the most qualified to answer you here considering I'm not going to show, but you need to get your numbers a little more precise. Find your TDEE and stay right around it. Studies have shown that putting on clean muscle while leaning out is possible, although hard as h3ll, requires precision in finding your "magic number" on your macros. The magic caloric number is typically 10-20% above your TDEE. I would try 10% and go from there. Unfortunately, this takes time to play with the numbers. I really feel as if I eat to bulk that I am sluggish and bloated just because I have to eat so so so much considering my output (workout 5-6x/week and work 10hr/day industrial construction).

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
alright ... im going to pitch something crazy here ok?
you hired a coach.. how about you listen to him?
you got to give yourself time. you've gained 5 lbs in 3 weeks?? that's like being on a PH for most guys. just relax and follow your coaches advise.
if after a couple months your not happy fire him. but until then listen to him and follow his lead to a "T"

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the input guys. And I wasn't asking anyone to change my diet, Ive followed it so far. I just wanted peoples input of what he has had me do. Since in shelling out a couple hundred bucks a month I wanted to hear other more qualified peoples opinions on if this sounds like a solid plan. I'm not new to the concepts of diet but many people, such as people like you, are way more qualified and experienced than me since I've only been seriously training for about one year now.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
it will likely be the same with your coach.. again reassess your descision after a couple months and figure out if hes worth your hard earned cash.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Thanks for the input guys. And I wasn't asking anyone to change my diet, Ive followed it so far. I just wanted peoples input of what he has had me do. Since in shelling out a couple hundred bucks a month I wanted to hear other more qualified peoples opinions on if this sounds like a solid plan. I'm not new to the concepts of diet but many people, such as people like you, are way more qualified and experienced than me since I've only been seriously training for about one year now.
Personally, I would can the coach. Nutrition itself is pretty black and white. Supps and training are very subjective, but nutrition is objective (mostly). Either you are in a surplus and bulking or in a deficit and cutting. How high/low you are over/under your TDEE will determine your outcome. Also, if you are too low, you will be eating into muscle. If you are too high, you will be gaining bf%. That information can be obtained with hours of research and trial and error. Everyone reacts to different things differently. Your coach doesn't know how you are going to react, so you are essentially paying him money for info that you can get either right here or other forums. Also, you can find many studies proving things about IIFYM, macros, micros, glycemic index, etc. from the works of respected professionals such as Alan Aragaron online for free. That's just my personal take on it. It's your money; do as you wish. My old roommate in college last year was an ESS major (exercise sports science) with a concentration in nutrition. He didn't know much more than myself who is a Business Management major lol. Just my $0.02 there.

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
Huh? Nutrition is black and white? Since when?

Hiring an experienced quality coach is one of the best things you can do for numerous reasons.

Don't can your coach just make sure he's a good one.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Huh? Nutrition is black and white? Since when?

Hiring an experienced quality coach is one of the best things you can do for numerous reasons.

Don't can your coach just make sure he's a good one.
I made sure to add (mostly) in there. Again, it's a pretty simple concept. There is no magic pill or any other of these "fads" you see on Dr. Oz or other BS shows and promoters. Understand BMR, TDEE, activity levels, amount of calories per g of fat and protein, deficit, surplus, basic daily needs of each macro, how micros affect your overall health, etc. There are tons of "arguments" on the small things like glycemic index, but the facts remain simple. Caloric surplus over your TDEE, you gain weight. Caloric deficit under your TDEE, you loose weight. We've known that for 50+ years now. I don't consider myself an RDA by any means, but I feel as if I know enough to be comfortable to not have to spend $1000+/year on advice from a coach. Again, it's your money. If you believe you need his advice and can't figure it out on your own and you don't mind the expense, go for it. You're 19. I wouldn't think spending $200/month is that easy on top of supps and food. Again, do some research.

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
Yea I'm going to question how you think diet is black and white. Everyone is different and there are a million different variables different for each person, if there wasn't then you wouldn't see experienced people asking for diet help on here dozens of times every day. And I do hwy construction at least 60hrs a week and sometimes up to 72 hours a week so all I have is work and the gym and a car payment. Obviously no one on here knows me personally but they could get a decent idea and chime In to give there opinions on if this is a good place to start and suggest things I might add or cut back on.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Hey that's awesome! I work industrial construction 10 hrs a day so I feel ya man. You need to increase your intake due to your output levels. I'm not saying increase it from where you are now, that was just a general comment made. To answer your question though, go back and read my comments about caloric intake and macros. It's "basic" info that hasn't changed in decades. The reason people always seek advice is because they are impatient. My TDEE is ~2600. Let's say I want to loose weight. I eat 160g carbs, 210g protein, 85g fats to get to 2400 cal. I have to try that for 4 weeks to see if I'm going anywhere. Am I loosing fat? Am I loosing muscle? Then I change it up, but now I have to try it for another 2-4 weeks. That is very time consuming. The average person wants the results NOW. That's just my philosophy.

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
Hey that's awesome! I work industrial construction 10 hrs a day so I feel ya man. You need to increase your intake due to your output levels. I'm not saying increase it from where you are now, that was just a general comment made. To answer your question though, go back and read my comments about caloric intake and macros. It's "basic" info that hasn't changed in decades. The reason people always seek advice is because they are impatient. My TDEE is ~2600. Let's say I want to loose weight. I eat 160g carbs, 210g protein, 85g fats to get to 2400 cal. I have to try that for 4 weeks to see if I'm going anywhere. Am I loosing fat? Am I loosing muscle? Then I change it up, but now I have to try it for another 2-4 weeks. That is very time consuming. The average person wants the results NOW. That's just my philosophy.

What you're talking about is gaining and losing weight. Calories in versus calories out basically. Ie; a fat 300lb guy trying to lose weight...

Lots of new research and info out there suggesting it's not that simple especially for someone that's trying to compete again which I assume from his original post. Hiring a coach to compete is a very wise idea especially when it comes to diet and macro-manipulation for a contest.

If it we're as simple as you're making it out to be then why do guys like jay cutler, Ronnie Coleman etc hire coaches?

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
What you're talking about is gaining and losing weight. Calories in versus calories out basically. Ie; a fat 300lb guy trying to lose weight... Lots of new research and info out there suggesting it's not that simple especially for someone that's trying to compete again which I assume from his original post. Hiring a coach to compete is a very wise idea especially when it comes to diet and macro-manipulation for a contest. If it we're as simple as you're making it out to be then why do guys like jay cutler, Ronnie Coleman etc hire coaches?
Right, but he said he had an accident that put him 26 lbs down. He's no where close to a physique show at 146lbs 10-12% bf. And his macros are insanely low. 12g fats? 42g protein? Those pros may feel like they need or want the help. There have been other bodybuilders out there who have not used a nutrition coach. But that is their life. They don't work construction like us. This coach of his is starving this dude out. I guarantee he's under his BMR due to his activity level. That's going to not only eat fat, but muscle too. And again, he wants to show eventually, not next couple months. He's a long way off. You need to be on more like a 350g carb 150g protein 100g fat 20% over your TDEE diet to get your 26 lbs back. Not a small child diet. Not only to get your weight back, but feel better. As you said, you feel awful. It's because you aren't eating enough and working a 10-12hr construction day in the hot ass sun with a shovel and then going to the gym! You can always shed fat. Again, just my opinion. And again, goes to tell me either he doesn't want to bulk at all which doesn't make since because you have to for physique, or he wants to build muscle while being super lean which is for the "elite" who are 30-40 lbs heavier, or that his coach doesn't know what he's doing.

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
If you'd read my OP you'd see that I end up eating no more than 75g of fat per day, more than 300 carbs a day and around 280g protein depending on if I down any shakes that day. How are my macros "low"? I'm only asking in this fashion to get a better understanding of your opinions

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
If you'd read my OP you'd see that I end up eating no more than 75g of fat per day, more than 300 carbs a day and around 280g protein depending on if I down any shakes that day. How are my macros "low"? I'm only asking in this fashion to get a better understanding of your opinions
Oh you put it per meal! I didn't get that. I read it as 42g protein all day! Haha my bad man. People don't usually list their per meal macros, they list their daily intake. In that case I have nothing to critique. That's the only reason I tried to help you out haha. But I will say your fats are a little low and your protein is a little high but honestly protein is subjective. If that's what you like (2g/lb) then that's fine. You really don't "need" more than .8-1g/lb when bulking. 4-5 lbs in 3 weeks is good. Yes some of is water weight with high carb consumption, but you should be aiming for 1-2lb/week which you are doing well. Any more and you are gaining fat. Carry on bro. Doing well.

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
Yea I thought I ended that sentence with "per meal" but I guess my brain got ahead of my fingers or something lol. If I only had that to eat each day I think you know as well as I do my ass wouldn't be passed out in a skid steer by 8am. Idk where you work but with me I don't care how many calories you down and how many friggin bottles of water you force down the humidity down here in Arkansas sucks. I'm new to the area and it's like breathing through an elevation mask all day.

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
Still feeling a bit deflated throughout my entire body and missing my vascularity, but I can tell a difference in the mirror and feel as though I'm making steady progress. Still have a LONG way to go though. (And no I don't tan, it's just the only place with a mirror I can use)

image-4254086822.jpg

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
Still feeling a bit deflated throughout my entire body and missing my vascularity, but I can tell a difference in the mirror and feel as though I'm making steady progress. Still have a LONG way to go though. (And no I don't tan, it's just the only place with a mirror I can use)

image-2661267185.jpg

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
I work industrial construction specializing in concrete and asphalt in TX, believe me buddy I hear ya. Vascularity is just going to come with low bf %. Generally it's <10%. You're not there anymore. Do you eat a lot of your carbs in the AM before work? That helped me. Maybe take 5 and go eat pasta salad every 3 hours. And when you're in the field, drink 2 regular bottles of Gatorade a day. That helped me too. You'll get it back man. It's a process. It takes time.

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
Yea I need to grab some Gatorade when I hit the market next week. What do you do for carbs in the AM and on the go? Nature valley bars and my honey bunches of oats are just about all I can come up with and down between 6am and 7am. I use to powder up oats and add them in a drink a couple times a day for extra complex carbs so I may need to do that again. What's your guys's favorite AM carb meals?

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Yea I need to grab some Gatorade when I hit the market next week. What do you do for carbs in the AM and on the go? Nature valley bars and my honey bunches of oats are just about all I can come up with and down between 6am and 7am. I use to powder up oats and add them in a drink a couple times a day for extra complex carbs so I may need to do that again. What's your guys's favorite AM carb meals?
I eat 1/2 cup oatmeal+local honey in the morning with a ON Pro Complex Gainer shake (650cal, 85g carb, 60g protein)+ a scoop of Carb Complex by Nu-Tek in the shake. I have a "6 Pack Bag" but the 3 pack version and I usually pack it with 4 bottles. 1 is gatorade, 1 is Glycofuse or Xtend (there are others you can check out), 1 is my ON Pro Complex Gainer, and 1 is usually just water with Crystal Light for flavor and 1 scoop of Carb Complex. It's 28g complex carb source. I usually have 2 trays of pasta salad + ~28 almonds or brown rice/black beans and one tray of 2 chicken breasts, brocolli, rice, avocado half. Other carbs I like are Lightly Salted Fritos, those Nature Valley bars, Rice cakes and always my organic peanut butter. I eat a sh*t ton throughout the day. I actually got written up last month because I went and took a snack break while they were rolling asphalt lololol. Hey man, I gotta eat to grow! I'm up around 4000cal (500cal over my TDEE) 525g carbs 200g protein 120g fats a day when I'm working. When I'm in school (like right now), I back it down quite a bit as my TDEE is about 900 cal less. Got off on a rant there. Sorry. Make sure you have enough salts in you man. When you're working like that and you're in the AR sun, you sweat a lot. That could be a big reason you're feeling bad.

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
Lmao I got written up last week cause I was shaking a water bottle full of my protein powder mix and I guess I got too carried away with shaking and my CB radio flew off my vest and broke on the asphalt. Funny how similar we are

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Lmao I got written up last week cause I was shaking a water bottle full of my protein powder mix and I guess I got too carried away with shaking and my CB radio flew off my vest and broke on the asphalt. Funny how similar we are
lololol!!! Dude this is too good! I think we just became AM best friends! :fist bump: hahaha

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
Weighed in this morning after the bathroom trip and shower, up 2lbs since my original post. Starting to feel some stomach discomfort, I wouldn't call it bloated because I use to have problems with irritable bowel syndrome from a hall bladder removal and I'm not bloated by any means. It just feels like my intestines are packed full of food and are exerting an outward pressure. Happens about 4-5ish in the evening most days. Anyone else get this? Sign I need more water/fiber?

Jeffsolo

Jeffsolo

Awards
Weighed in this morning after the bathroom trip and shower, up 2lbs since my original post. Starting to feel some stomach discomfort, I wouldn't call it bloated because I use to have problems with irritable bowel syndrome from a hall bladder removal and I'm not bloated by any means. It just feels like my intestines are packed full of food and are exerting an outward pressure. Happens about 4-5ish in the evening most days. Anyone else get this? Sign I need more water/fiber?
I have the same thing. Hits me late afternoon most days as well. It comes with massive gas shortly after, lol.
Tried to change up diet to identify if it was something particular causing it, but I think it's volume related because I don't tend to get it when dieting to lose weight and eat a small lunch. It's either that or protein related.

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
Yea I've taken two weeks off of the dieting and deloaded, gas and the gut feeling went away. I think it is just volume related.

Jeffsolo

Jeffsolo

Awards
No good for me, 2 weeks into a cycle and eating to grow. It's really frustrating that I can't nail down what's causing it. Veggies make it worse so I stay away from them until the evening, I'm on the isolate protein because I'm lactose intolerant. I figured out too many oats makes it worse, so I eat limited oats now. Even grilled chicken on it's own ramps it up!

I've tried so many things but I'm still bloated and gassy every single evening.

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried a gas supplement? Those help me sometimes so I don't fart every time I lift a friggin weight. It got so bad that I had to workout at 5am so no one would hear me lol

Jeffsolo

Jeffsolo

Awards
Have you tried a gas supplement? Those help me sometimes so I don't fart every time I lift a friggin weight. It got so bad that I had to workout at 5am so no one would hear me lol
Can imagine that's gotta wobble you under the bar on the way up, lol

Try some betaine hcl. Worked wonders for me
Yeah boys, I've tried the hcl, got some protease supplement, bromelain, beano and activated charcoal. None if it does squat for me.