Much needed bulking advice (struggling to gain more)

lenfield90

Awards
Normally don't post on forums like these but am a big fan of T Nation and follow most of the articles up here (find them exponentially better than some of the **** you find elsewhere on the internet).

I've been bulking for the last 2 months or so (been training properly for about the last 2 years). I'm 5'9" and begain bulking at about 71 kg with approximately 8-9% body fat. I managed to gain the first 10 kg relatively comfortably and quickly (weigh about 81 kg now at around 12% bf), but I've really had trouble gaining any more and its starting to get extremely frustrating!

I gained the first 10 kg eating around 450-500 grams of carbs a day (all low GI carbs, bar dextrose post workout to spike my insulin before weight gainer) and around 150 grams of protein (normally in the form of lean beef or chicken). I was training around 6 times a week, which I didn't realise was a bad idea as the body obviously needs time to recover and grow during bulking cycles.

I'm eating 6 meals a day (including 2 shakes) with a liquid breakfast of 100gs of oats, around 30-50gs of natural peanut butter, bananas and blueberries.

The major problem I'm having, however, is that my gains have rapidly slowed down and I just can't seem to put on any more weight despite what I eat. I've upped my carb intake to around 600 now (all good carbs still) and my protein to around 200 (on about 80-100gs of fat). I train after breakfast (still the same) and for the past few weeks or so have been training every other day in the hope of gaining more obviously.

I'm on ON Serious Mass at the moment. My post workout shake (after dextrose) consists of about 110g carbs and 25g protein. I'm taking creatine mono-hydrate pre and post workout also. I've just started taking ZMA which im hoping will help (despite giving me the ****s).

In terms of my training, for the first 10kg i gained i more or less didn't change my rep range, although the loads I was taking obviously increased. Now that I seem to have hit a wall, I've tried going low reps, starting from a set of 8 reps then going down to heavy sets of 6, 4, 2. Whilst this improved my strength I still struggled to gain any actual weight, which was really ****ing frustrating!

I then changed to lower weights, starting with around 16 reps going down to around 8 and have found that's not helped either.

Any advice would be HUGELY appreciated! My original plan was to hit around the 85-87kg mark before i start cutting but am starting to worry that this just isn't going to be possible.

Thanks in advance

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
have a look at Mass Gains by IFN. it has 4 basic ingredients.
whey protein
oats
efa's
quinoa

bout 400 calories per serving.

bowskie

bowskie

Awards
You should schedule 1-2 full days off from the gym per week. Try de-loading for 1-2 weeks with a complete break or low-intensity workouts. You only need 0.8g of protein per lb of body-weight to make lean mass gains. Get you sleep patterns regulated by going to bed and waking at the same times each day. I personally like to have a whey iso shake soon as I wake up to break the fast, 1-2 hours later I have a full/balanced meal.