Protein crisis, desperately need advice - AnabolicMinds.com

Protein crisis, desperately need advice

  1. New Member
    Lolpingu's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  152 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    13

    Reputation

    Protein crisis, desperately need advice


    I'm having trouble with getting my daily 150g of protein. I hardly have time or energy to make myself protein dishes (high school takes up half of my day and almost all of my energy) and the constant intake of cottage cheese and tuna isn't enough to reach 150g. Even the 60g whey protein shakes I drink after workouts usually aren't enough for me to reach 150g.
    Honestly, I don't understand how it's possible to get jacked during high school years or even college years. The dehumanizing and time-draining nature of high-school is a sure way to becoming that skinnyfat no one wants to be. Hell, college sounds even worse since, combined with the free time and energy shortage, you are also on a tight budget most likely, so whey powder and creatine aren't always an option anymore.
    With that in mind, can anyone who's been in my shoes (not enough time or energy to get enough protein) suggest any "easy" ways to get a lot of protein in a short amount of time with minimal effort, if there is one? I'm honestly out of ideas, bulking doesn't seem like a reality at this rate.

  2. New Member
    scherbs's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    277
    Rep Power
    58846

    Reputation Reputation

    150g is actually not that hard and is a goal you can easily reach without supplementation, with a supplemental shake it is a no-brainer.
    I hate to side track, but your diet does not need as much fixing as your attitude.
    Stop b!tching about HS and your schedule and make a healthy diet a priority.

    I am a HS teacher and coach--I spend 10-12 hours at school on a the average day, let alone days when I have events to coach. I EASILY can hit 150 a day without needing to use a shake.
    Eggs for breakfast; greek yogurt, cottage cheese, hardboiled eggs and string cheese for snacks; lunch and dinner built--BUILT, not including--around 6-8oz of steak or chicken; perhaps a glass of milk or cottage cheese before bed.

    In short, stop complaining and get it done.
  3. Elite Member
    tyga tyga's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6,939
    Rep Power
    2429176

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolpingu View Post
    I'm having trouble with getting my daily 150g of protein. I hardly have time or energy to make myself protein dishes (high school takes up half of my day and almost all of my energy) and the constant intake of cottage cheese and tuna isn't enough to reach 150g. Even the 60g whey protein shakes I drink after workouts usually aren't enough for me to reach 150g. Honestly, I don't understand how it's possible to get jacked during high school years or even college years. The dehumanizing and time-draining nature of high-school is a sure way to becoming that skinnyfat no one wants to be. Hell, college sounds even worse since, combined with the free time and energy shortage, you are also on a tight budget most likely, so whey powder and creatine aren't always an option anymore. With that in mind, can anyone who's been in my shoes (not enough time or energy to get enough protein) suggest any "easy" ways to get a lot of protein in a short amount of time with minimal effort, if there is one? I'm honestly out of ideas, bulking doesn't seem like a reality at this rate.
    Sounds like you're justifying why you can't consume the amount of food/pro you need to.

    Eat. Eat what the school serves. Take snacks with you to school and eat them in class. (Turkey sausage sticks, quest bars, home made protein cakes/bars, nuts of all sorts) there is ways this can be done, it's just the matter of wanting too.
    MYOKEM ATHLETE & REP
    BJOHNSON15 @MYOKEM.COM FOR 15% OFF

    PSALMS 62:1- 62:2
    •   
       

  4. Advanced Member
    Type O Hero's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    875
    Rep Power
    73447

    Reputation Reputation

    Drink 10-20g of whey or a protein blend with or between meals.
  5. Elite Member
    Driven2lift's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Age
    24
    Posts
    5,170
    Rep Power
    4141965

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Protein shakes are as easy as it gets.

    Wake up 10 minutes earlier and prep some food.
    Scramble some eggs/whites/ground meat and throw it in tupperware. Eat throughout day.

    Or protein bars.

    Or even canned meats, costco carries bulk packs of large canned chicken, around 40g protein in each if i recall. Eat it as is or toss in a salad.

    If sodium isnt a big worry buy jerkey.

    Bring a whole tub of plain greek yogurt = 54 g protein in mine at least. Mix in fruits or PB.

    Etc etc.
    It's really easy, just plan ahead.
    Athletix Representative
    Orbit Nutrition Representative;
    Use the code SOCIAL for 10% off your order at Orbit!
  6. New Member
    tjbruno's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    368
    Rep Power
    119056

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Protein crisis, desperately need advice


    If you think school is draining wait till you get into the real world. Either you make fitness a priority and find time to do what you need to do, or you don't...
    "if there's one thing women love, it's a vascular man" - stewie griffin
  7. Elite Member
    hvactech's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,448
    Rep Power
    2612252

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    1.25lbs 93/7 - 115g of pro
    1 can kidney beans - 33g of pro
    Misc cheeses 1oz - roughly 5-7g of pro


    Boom - 150-160g of pro with some delicious chili...
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  8. Professional Member
    EatMoar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,438
    Rep Power
    1162438

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    If you think high school is difficult you may not like life after that.
  9. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,044
    Rep Power
    919682

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    This has to be a joke.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  10. New Member
    Lolpingu's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  152 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    13

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Dan View Post
    Drink your own semen, plenty of protein.
    I might actually do that, maybe It will turn me into a manlier version of Bear Grylls.
    Either way, school here isn't really like that. Most people here are like me - dismotivated, tired and deprived of themselves and are unfriendly to eachother for the most part, which could explain why I suck so much.
    Either way, I guess folks here are right, it's my attitude that's holding me back. Thanks for clearing that up.
  11. Professional Member
    EatMoar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,438
    Rep Power
    1162438

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolpingu View Post
    I might actually do that, maybe It will turn me into a manlier version of Bear Grylls. Either way, school here isn't really like that. Most people here are like me - dismotivated, tired and deprived of themselves and are unfriendly to eachother for the most part, which could explain why I suck so much. Either way, I guess folks here are right, it's my attitude that's holding me back. Thanks for clearing that up.
    In that case I'd just buy a stool, rope and hammer. Toss the hammer up your ass and hang yourself. Seriously.
  12. Professional Member
    kenpoengineer's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Age
    54
    Posts
    4,454
    Rep Power
    2449765

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolpingu View Post
    I might actually do that, maybe It will turn me into a manlier version of Bear Grylls. Either way, school here isn't really like that. Most people here are like me - dismotivated, tired and deprived of themselves and are unfriendly to eachother for the most part, which could explain why I suck so much. Either way, I guess folks here are right, it's my attitude that's holding me back. Thanks for clearing that up.
    Young person, please do not let others of your generation taint your outlook on life! You are way to young to have your terrible attitude. Find those that have a positive personality and hang with them. Every morning remind yourself of things to be grateful about. Set small goals for your immediate future and attain them. If you are on AM to improve your body then research here, eat wisely and get to the gym and lift!!
  13. New Member
    scherbs's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    277
    Rep Power
    58846

    Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by kenpoengineer View Post
    Young person, please do not let others of your generation taint your outlook on life! You are way to young to have your terrible attitude. Find those that have a positive personality and hang with them. Every morning remind yourself of things to be grateful about. Set small goals for your immediate future and attain them. If you are on AM to improve your body then research here, eat wisely and get to the gym and lift!!
    OP: listen up--this is profound advice stated better than I did the first time around.
    It is a cop-out to blame your circumstances, your schedule, those around you. . .
    Exercise the power of CHOICE and pursue your goals; listen to the serious advice that has been offered you and stop coming up with excuses for why you can't meet your goals.
  14. Senior Member
    NattyForLife's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,777
    Rep Power
    612520

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Only 150g of protein?!? Im cutting right now and i consume 302g of Pro with only 48g coming from whey(PES select, stuff is amazing). I do happen to love chicken. The meal im eating right now has 78g pro.
    Body Performance Solutions (BPS) Representative
  15. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,044
    Rep Power
    919682

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by NattyForLife View Post
    Only 150g of protein?!? Im cutting right now and i consume 302g of Pro with only 48g coming from whey(PES select, stuff is amazing). I do happen to love chicken. The meal im eating right now has 78g pro.
    You take 4 scoops of Select per day?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  16. Senior Member
    NattyForLife's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,777
    Rep Power
    612520

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    You take 4 scoops of Select per day?
    2 scoops. Each scoop has 24g pro.

    Edit- if i took 4 scoops of PES select a day, it would be outrageously expensive!
    Body Performance Solutions (BPS) Representative
  17. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,044
    Rep Power
    919682

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by NattyForLife View Post
    2 scoops. Each scoop has 24g pro. Edit- if i took 4 scoops of PES select a day, it would be outrageously expensive!
    Select is 50/50 whey and casein. If you're taking 2 scoops per day, then you're getting 24g of whey and 24g of casein.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  18. Senior Member
    NattyForLife's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,777
    Rep Power
    612520

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Select is 50/50 whey and casein. If you're taking 2 scoops per day, then you're getting 24g of whey and 24g of casein.
    Ok let me rephrase; i take 2 scoops of awesome protein a day.
    Body Performance Solutions (BPS) Representative
  19. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,044
    Rep Power
    919682

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by NattyForLife View Post
    Ok let me rephrase; i take 2 scoops of awesome protein a day.
    I was clarifying as Select was designed to overcome some of the downfalls of taking just whey.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  20. Senior Member
    SuperPro's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,158
    Rep Power
    46918

    Reputation

    Seriously? Try working a job where you're outside in the weather 10-12 hours a day and sometimes don't even get to eat lunch. I was doing that at one point and still managing to force feed 200-250g protein per day in 3-4 meals.

    Some tips if you are serious:

    Powerbar Protein Plus - they recently reformulated their flavors and the choc pb isnt too bad now compared to other protein bars. 20g protein.

    Clif Bars - taste great and give you some good complex carbs as well. ~10g protein.

    Nuts - Protein and healthy fats. I usually mix an oz of peanuts with an oz of either almonds or walnuts. You can use flavored ones too. This will net you about 15g protein IIRC.

    Milk - this is the easy one everyone forgets. I think about 8g protein per cup, been awhile since I drank it regularly myself.
    "Lifting and Game of Thrones share the same calendar, there's only two seasons: cutting and bulking. And guess what? Winter's comin' so it's time to bulk up!"
    -Dom Mazzetti
  21. Senior Member
    Magdalena's Avatar
    Stats
    5'4"  135 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,204
    Rep Power
    1218421

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Name:  image-4131763651.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  472.9 KB

    Boom!!! Here's 50g....
  22. Senior Member
    Magdalena's Avatar
    Stats
    5'4"  135 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,204
    Rep Power
    1218421

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Btw , let me just add here....
    I'm 100% for getting my protein from real food...
    Sometimes though I do need a quick fix like the pure pro 50....
  23. New Member
    Lolpingu's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  152 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    13

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
    In that case I'd just buy a stool, rope and hammer. Toss the hammer up your ass and hang yourself. Seriously.
    If I recall correctly, I came here looking for advice on how to improve my protein intake in times of hardship, not for patronizing instructions on how to hang myself and do kinky things with hammers (Simultaneously?). Each to their own tastes, I suppose.

    Quote Originally Posted by scherbs View Post
    OP: listen up--this is profound advice stated better than I did the first time around.
    It is a cop-out to blame your circumstances, your schedule, those around you. . .
    Exercise the power of CHOICE and pursue your goals; listen to the serious advice that has been offered you and stop coming up with excuses for why you can't meet your goals.
    I wasn't trying to cop-out by my reply, I was replying to Dirty Dan's assumption about my school and explaining why I perceive my time at school as such a dehumanizing experience, since most people here seem to believe that every school is all rainbows and unicorns.
    Don't get me wrong though, I get the point. I'll keep most of the protein food advice mentioned here in mind, I think I'll have an easier time getting more protein with my now expanded grocery list.
  24. Senior Member
    Magdalena's Avatar
    Stats
    5'4"  135 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,204
    Rep Power
    1218421

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolpingu View Post
    If I recall correctly, I came here looking for advice on how to improve my protein intake in times of hardship, not for patronizing instructions on how to hang myself and do kinky things with hammers (Simultaneously?). Each to their own tastes, I suppose. I wasn't trying to cop-out by my reply, I was replying to Dirty Dan's assumption about my school and explaining why I perceive my time at school as such a dehumanizing experience, since most people here seem to believe that every school is all rainbows and unicorns. Don't get me wrong though, I get the point. I'll keep most of the protein food advice mentioned here in mind, I think I'll have an easier time getting more protein with my now expanded grocery list.
    U will b just fine...
    Just make time to eat, make it ur priority...
    It's all about how bad u really want it....
    I believe u can do it!!!
  25. New Member
    scherbs's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    277
    Rep Power
    58846

    Reputation Reputation

    OP
    I do apologize (slightly) for coming off rather strongly.
    I have a visceral reaction when people--adolescents and adults--start talking about their social surroundings and circumstances in the context of reaching their personal goals.
    Today, too many have forgotten (or never learned) the concept of personal responsibility.
    The overwhelming factor in whether or not you will reach your goals are the choices you make, not the circumstances that surround you.
    You have come here looking for help and that is to be commended--now just go out there and get it done.
  26. New Member
    Lolpingu's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  152 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    13

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by scherbs View Post
    OP
    I do apologize (slightly) for coming off rather strongly.
    I have a visceral reaction when people--adolescents and adults--start talking about their social surroundings and circumstances in the context of reaching their personal goals.
    Today, too many have forgotten (or never learned) the concept of personal responsibility.
    The overwhelming factor in whether or not you will reach your goals are the choices you make, not the circumstances that surround you.
    You have come here looking for help and that is to be commended--now just go out there and get it done.
    You have no need to apologize. I understand that many people here have reached where they are through nothing but sheer willpower and self-discipline, and how I might have come off as a pansy for letting rough times get in the way of health and fitness.
    I now remember that I still have my two arms and legs, I'm not suffering from any crippling chronic sicknesses and my family is financially stable, so all I need to do is suck it up and find time to eat plenty.
  27. Professional Member
    kenpoengineer's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Age
    54
    Posts
    4,454
    Rep Power
    2449765

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolpingu View Post
    You have no need to apologize. I understand that many people here have reached where they are through nothing but sheer willpower and self-discipline, and how I might have come off as a pansy for letting rough times get in the way of health and fitness. I now remember that I still have my two arms and legs, I'm not suffering from any crippling chronic sicknesses and my family is financially stable, so all I need to do is suck it up and find time to eat plenty.
    Way to go! Now that's what is needed! Eat then go kill some iron!
  28. Advanced Member
    laneanders's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    887
    Rep Power
    198649

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Tons of advice in here already OP. I am also an educator and coach, and I see the apathy inherent in today's youth. I'm sure it is no different for you. I've told kids to get off their asses and get moving, but it is really hard I guess when nobody gives a crap about anything - which seems to be the trend. I only hope you all grow out of it, because coaching and teaching a bunch of unmotivated children is exasperating. Its like nobody cares about competition anymore. I don't see how you can struggle to get 150 grams of protein in, especially if you are using 60g a day.

    I tell you what I lived on as an undergrad, the local supermarket had these pick 5 packs of meat for 15 dollars. So I bought 5 packs of meat every week, and I would eat that once a day. I also had a lunch plan, so I went and ate at the buffet there everyday. The only things in my fridge were meat, salsa, and green tea (arizona - because it was always on sale at walgreen's by the gallon jug). I ate tostito's and salsa with my meat everyday, and I couldn't really afford protein. Between those packs of meat and the buffet though I easily ingested well over 200grams of protein per day.Stock up on some cheap protein or catch Protean or some other brand on sale, and take it with you. Drink a scoop of it a day instead of 2 or more, and make it last longer. Eating should cover most of what you are required to ingest though. It isn't that difficult.

    Also tuna and pinto beans are extremely cost efficient. Get a crock pot, make a pot of beans, eat those beans for days, and fart your roommate out of the room.
  29. New Member
    Nis1's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    162
    Rep Power
    29041

    Reputation

    Key words, 'meal prep'. I cook 5 lbs of chicken breasts at a time and it lasts a couple days. Get motivated, where there's a will, there's a way. No more excuses. Life only gets harder after highschool so if you think it's rough now, good luck.
  30. Senior Member
    NattyForLife's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,777
    Rep Power
    612520

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Nis1 View Post
    Key words, 'meal prep'. I cook 5 lbs of chicken breasts at a time and it lasts a couple days. Get motivated, where there's a will, there's a way. No more excuses. Life only gets harder after highschool so if you think it's rough now, good luck.
    I cook 10-12lbs of chicken tenders at a time. I eat 2lbs of chicken a day'
    Body Performance Solutions (BPS) Representative
  31. Elite Member
    Montego1's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  236 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    8,565
    Rep Power
    7326905

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Take five lbs of chicken. Put it in a crock pot. Add a large jar of salsa. Cook on high for five or six hours.

    Done

    ​" If you're looking for a work horse.......I'm no Clydesdale."
  32. Elite Member
    Driven2lift's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Age
    24
    Posts
    5,170
    Rep Power
    4141965

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Montego1 View Post
    Take five lbs of chicken. Put it in a crock pot. Add a large jar of salsa. Cook on high for five or six hours.

    Done
    Winner of easiest protein prep method here
    Just needs hot sauce
    Athletix Representative
    Orbit Nutrition Representative;
    Use the code SOCIAL for 10% off your order at Orbit!
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. In desperate need of advice...Please review my blood work.
    By kram22 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-19-2013, 08:20 AM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-26-2012, 06:19 PM
  3. In desperate need of advice/help
    By ljs252 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 04:49 PM
  4. How much protein do I need? Diet Advice Needed
    By want2lose in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-07-2011, 12:47 PM
  5. Protein - I seriously need this advice!!
    By michaeljannis in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-03-2008, 07:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in