Protein crisis, desperately need advice

Lolpingu

Awards
I'm having trouble with getting my daily 150g of protein. I hardly have time or energy to make myself protein dishes (high school takes up half of my day and almost all of my energy) and the constant intake of cottage cheese and tuna isn't enough to reach 150g. Even the 60g whey protein shakes I drink after workouts usually aren't enough for me to reach 150g.
Honestly, I don't understand how it's possible to get jacked during high school years or even college years. The dehumanizing and time-draining nature of high-school is a sure way to becoming that skinnyfat no one wants to be. Hell, college sounds even worse since, combined with the free time and energy shortage, you are also on a tight budget most likely, so whey powder and creatine aren't always an option anymore.
With that in mind, can anyone who's been in my shoes (not enough time or energy to get enough protein) suggest any "easy" ways to get a lot of protein in a short amount of time with minimal effort, if there is one? I'm honestly out of ideas, bulking doesn't seem like a reality at this rate.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
150g is actually not that hard and is a goal you can easily reach without supplementation, with a supplemental shake it is a no-brainer.
I hate to side track, but your diet does not need as much fixing as your attitude.
Stop b!tching about HS and your schedule and make a healthy diet a priority.

I am a HS teacher and coach--I spend 10-12 hours at school on a the average day, let alone days when I have events to coach. I EASILY can hit 150 a day without needing to use a shake.
Eggs for breakfast; greek yogurt, cottage cheese, hardboiled eggs and string cheese for snacks; lunch and dinner built--BUILT, not including--around 6-8oz of steak or chicken; perhaps a glass of milk or cottage cheese before bed.

In short, stop complaining and get it done.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm having trouble with getting my daily 150g of protein. I hardly have time or energy to make myself protein dishes (high school takes up half of my day and almost all of my energy) and the constant intake of cottage cheese and tuna isn't enough to reach 150g. Even the 60g whey protein shakes I drink after workouts usually aren't enough for me to reach 150g. Honestly, I don't understand how it's possible to get jacked during high school years or even college years. The dehumanizing and time-draining nature of high-school is a sure way to becoming that skinnyfat no one wants to be. Hell, college sounds even worse since, combined with the free time and energy shortage, you are also on a tight budget most likely, so whey powder and creatine aren't always an option anymore. With that in mind, can anyone who's been in my shoes (not enough time or energy to get enough protein) suggest any "easy" ways to get a lot of protein in a short amount of time with minimal effort, if there is one? I'm honestly out of ideas, bulking doesn't seem like a reality at this rate.
Sounds like you're justifying why you can't consume the amount of food/pro you need to.

Eat. Eat what the school serves. Take snacks with you to school and eat them in class. (Turkey sausage sticks, quest bars, home made protein cakes/bars, nuts of all sorts) there is ways this can be done, it's just the matter of wanting too.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Drink 10-20g of whey or a protein blend with or between meals.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Protein shakes are as easy as it gets.

Wake up 10 minutes earlier and prep some food.
Scramble some eggs/whites/ground meat and throw it in tupperware. Eat throughout day.

Or protein bars.

Or even canned meats, costco carries bulk packs of large canned chicken, around 40g protein in each if i recall. Eat it as is or toss in a salad.

If sodium isnt a big worry buy jerkey.

Bring a whole tub of plain greek yogurt = 54 g protein in mine at least. Mix in fruits or PB.

Etc etc.
It's really easy, just plan ahead.

tjbruno

tjbruno

Awards
If you think school is draining wait till you get into the real world. Either you make fitness a priority and find time to do what you need to do, or you don't...

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
1.25lbs 93/7 - 115g of pro
1 can kidney beans - 33g of pro
Misc cheeses 1oz - roughly 5-7g of pro

Boom - 150-160g of pro with some delicious chili...

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you think high school is difficult you may not like life after that.

Lolpingu

Awards
Drink your own semen, plenty of protein.
I might actually do that, maybe It will turn me into a manlier version of Bear Grylls.
Either way, school here isn't really like that. Most people here are like me - dismotivated, tired and deprived of themselves and are unfriendly to eachother for the most part, which could explain why I suck so much.
Either way, I guess folks here are right, it's my attitude that's holding me back. Thanks for clearing that up.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I might actually do that, maybe It will turn me into a manlier version of Bear Grylls. Either way, school here isn't really like that. Most people here are like me - dismotivated, tired and deprived of themselves and are unfriendly to eachother for the most part, which could explain why I suck so much. Either way, I guess folks here are right, it's my attitude that's holding me back. Thanks for clearing that up.
In that case I'd just buy a stool, rope and hammer. Toss the hammer up your ass and hang yourself. Seriously.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I might actually do that, maybe It will turn me into a manlier version of Bear Grylls. Either way, school here isn't really like that. Most people here are like me - dismotivated, tired and deprived of themselves and are unfriendly to eachother for the most part, which could explain why I suck so much. Either way, I guess folks here are right, it's my attitude that's holding me back. Thanks for clearing that up.
Young person, please do not let others of your generation taint your outlook on life! You are way to young to have your terrible attitude. Find those that have a positive personality and hang with them. Every morning remind yourself of things to be grateful about. Set small goals for your immediate future and attain them. If you are on AM to improve your body then research here, eat wisely and get to the gym and lift!!

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Young person, please do not let others of your generation taint your outlook on life! You are way to young to have your terrible attitude. Find those that have a positive personality and hang with them. Every morning remind yourself of things to be grateful about. Set small goals for your immediate future and attain them. If you are on AM to improve your body then research here, eat wisely and get to the gym and lift!!
OP: listen up--this is profound advice stated better than I did the first time around.
It is a cop-out to blame your circumstances, your schedule, those around you. . .
Exercise the power of CHOICE and pursue your goals; listen to the serious advice that has been offered you and stop coming up with excuses for why you can't meet your goals.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
Only 150g of protein?!? Im cutting right now and i consume 302g of Pro with only 48g coming from whey(PES select, stuff is amazing). I do happen to love chicken. The meal im eating right now has 78g pro.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Only 150g of protein?!? Im cutting right now and i consume 302g of Pro with only 48g coming from whey(PES select, stuff is amazing). I do happen to love chicken. The meal im eating right now has 78g pro.
You take 4 scoops of Select per day?

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
You take 4 scoops of Select per day?
2 scoops. Each scoop has 24g pro.

Edit- if i took 4 scoops of PES select a day, it would be outrageously expensive!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
2 scoops. Each scoop has 24g pro. Edit- if i took 4 scoops of PES select a day, it would be outrageously expensive!
Select is 50/50 whey and casein. If you're taking 2 scoops per day, then you're getting 24g of whey and 24g of casein.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
Select is 50/50 whey and casein. If you're taking 2 scoops per day, then you're getting 24g of whey and 24g of casein.
Ok let me rephrase; i take 2 scoops of awesome protein a day.

SuperPro

SuperPro

Awards
Seriously? Try working a job where you're outside in the weather 10-12 hours a day and sometimes don't even get to eat lunch. I was doing that at one point and still managing to force feed 200-250g protein per day in 3-4 meals.

Some tips if you are serious:

Powerbar Protein Plus - they recently reformulated their flavors and the choc pb isnt too bad now compared to other protein bars. 20g protein.

Clif Bars - taste great and give you some good complex carbs as well. ~10g protein.

Nuts - Protein and healthy fats. I usually mix an oz of peanuts with an oz of either almonds or walnuts. You can use flavored ones too. This will net you about 15g protein IIRC.

Milk - this is the easy one everyone forgets. I think about 8g protein per cup, been awhile since I drank it regularly myself.

Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Btw , let me just add here....
I'm 100% for getting my protein from real food...
Sometimes though I do need a quick fix like the pure pro 50....

Lolpingu

Awards
In that case I'd just buy a stool, rope and hammer. Toss the hammer up your ass and hang yourself. Seriously.
If I recall correctly, I came here looking for advice on how to improve my protein intake in times of hardship, not for patronizing instructions on how to hang myself and do kinky things with hammers (Simultaneously?). Each to their own tastes, I suppose.

OP: listen up--this is profound advice stated better than I did the first time around.
It is a cop-out to blame your circumstances, your schedule, those around you. . .
Exercise the power of CHOICE and pursue your goals; listen to the serious advice that has been offered you and stop coming up with excuses for why you can't meet your goals.
I wasn't trying to cop-out by my reply, I was replying to Dirty Dan's assumption about my school and explaining why I perceive my time at school as such a dehumanizing experience, since most people here seem to believe that every school is all rainbows and unicorns.
Don't get me wrong though, I get the point. I'll keep most of the protein food advice mentioned here in mind, I think I'll have an easier time getting more protein with my now expanded grocery list.

Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If I recall correctly, I came here looking for advice on how to improve my protein intake in times of hardship, not for patronizing instructions on how to hang myself and do kinky things with hammers (Simultaneously?). Each to their own tastes, I suppose. I wasn't trying to cop-out by my reply, I was replying to Dirty Dan's assumption about my school and explaining why I perceive my time at school as such a dehumanizing experience, since most people here seem to believe that every school is all rainbows and unicorns. Don't get me wrong though, I get the point. I'll keep most of the protein food advice mentioned here in mind, I think I'll have an easier time getting more protein with my now expanded grocery list.
U will b just fine...
Just make time to eat, make it ur priority...
It's all about how bad u really want it....
I believe u can do it!!!
:)

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
OP
I do apologize (slightly) for coming off rather strongly.
I have a visceral reaction when people--adolescents and adults--start talking about their social surroundings and circumstances in the context of reaching their personal goals.
Today, too many have forgotten (or never learned) the concept of personal responsibility.
The overwhelming factor in whether or not you will reach your goals are the choices you make, not the circumstances that surround you.
You have come here looking for help and that is to be commended--now just go out there and get it done.

Lolpingu

Awards
OP
I do apologize (slightly) for coming off rather strongly.
I have a visceral reaction when people--adolescents and adults--start talking about their social surroundings and circumstances in the context of reaching their personal goals.
Today, too many have forgotten (or never learned) the concept of personal responsibility.
The overwhelming factor in whether or not you will reach your goals are the choices you make, not the circumstances that surround you.
You have come here looking for help and that is to be commended--now just go out there and get it done.
You have no need to apologize. I understand that many people here have reached where they are through nothing but sheer willpower and self-discipline, and how I might have come off as a pansy for letting rough times get in the way of health and fitness.
I now remember that I still have my two arms and legs, I'm not suffering from any crippling chronic sicknesses and my family is financially stable, so all I need to do is suck it up and find time to eat plenty.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You have no need to apologize. I understand that many people here have reached where they are through nothing but sheer willpower and self-discipline, and how I might have come off as a pansy for letting rough times get in the way of health and fitness. I now remember that I still have my two arms and legs, I'm not suffering from any crippling chronic sicknesses and my family is financially stable, so all I need to do is suck it up and find time to eat plenty.
Way to go! Now that's what is needed! Eat then go kill some iron!

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
Tons of advice in here already OP. I am also an educator and coach, and I see the apathy inherent in today's youth. I'm sure it is no different for you. I've told kids to get off their asses and get moving, but it is really hard I guess when nobody gives a crap about anything - which seems to be the trend. I only hope you all grow out of it, because coaching and teaching a bunch of unmotivated children is exasperating. Its like nobody cares about competition anymore. I don't see how you can struggle to get 150 grams of protein in, especially if you are using 60g a day.

I tell you what I lived on as an undergrad, the local supermarket had these pick 5 packs of meat for 15 dollars. So I bought 5 packs of meat every week, and I would eat that once a day. I also had a lunch plan, so I went and ate at the buffet there everyday. The only things in my fridge were meat, salsa, and green tea (arizona - because it was always on sale at walgreen's by the gallon jug). I ate tostito's and salsa with my meat everyday, and I couldn't really afford protein. Between those packs of meat and the buffet though I easily ingested well over 200grams of protein per day.Stock up on some cheap protein or catch Protean or some other brand on sale, and take it with you. Drink a scoop of it a day instead of 2 or more, and make it last longer. Eating should cover most of what you are required to ingest though. It isn't that difficult.

Also tuna and pinto beans are extremely cost efficient. Get a crock pot, make a pot of beans, eat those beans for days, and fart your roommate out of the room.

Nis1

Nis1

Awards
Key words, 'meal prep'. I cook 5 lbs of chicken breasts at a time and it lasts a couple days. Get motivated, where there's a will, there's a way. No more excuses. Life only gets harder after highschool so if you think it's rough now, good luck.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
Key words, 'meal prep'. I cook 5 lbs of chicken breasts at a time and it lasts a couple days. Get motivated, where there's a will, there's a way. No more excuses. Life only gets harder after highschool so if you think it's rough now, good luck.
I cook 10-12lbs of chicken tenders at a time. I eat 2lbs of chicken a day'

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Take five lbs of chicken. Put it in a crock pot. Add a large jar of salsa. Cook on high for five or six hours.

Done

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Take five lbs of chicken. Put it in a crock pot. Add a large jar of salsa. Cook on high for five or six hours.

Done
Winner of easiest protein prep method here
Just needs hot sauce :)