Size and eating

WhyNoMusic

Awards
Hello I have put on about 10 pounds in 6 months and feel that my lifting isn't enough. I come from a family of skinny and weak people but have always wanted to become really fit and strong, and getting this achievement seems near impossible. I go to the gym about 5-6 times a week while also playing soccer year round. I know that soccer involves a lot of running which could be depleting my muscle but I just want to put on some size. And it seems that putting on this size will never happen. I currently am drinking 3 protein shakes a day, about 3-4 full meals, and also having 2 extra large sandwiches for the extra calories. I am just wondering that beside my genetics not being toward become a muscular person, I am just wondering if I should just be force feeding myself into gaining more weight and muscle mass or what? I just feel like the progress I have seen has been smaller than I would like. Thanks- any option helps

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hello I have put on about 10 pounds in 6 months and feel that my lifting isn't enough. I come from a family of skinny and weak people but have always wanted to become really fit and strong, and getting this achievement seems near impossible. I go to the gym about 5-6 times a week while also playing soccer year round. I know that soccer involves a lot of running which could be depleting my muscle but I just want to put on some size. And it seems that putting on this size will never happen. I currently am drinking 3 protein shakes a day, about 3-4 full meals, and also having 2 extra large sandwiches for the extra calories. I am just wondering that beside my genetics not being toward become a muscular person, I am just wondering if I should just be force feeding myself into gaining more weight and muscle mass or what? I just feel like the progress I have seen has been smaller than I would like. Thanks- any option helps
Eat more. I know you think you eat alot but you probably don't eat enough. Count your calories with an app on your phone, most of them are free. So this way you know you're eating enough. And secondly what do you do at the gym? Split?

Plain and simple move less and eat more.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
The easiest way I can say to do this is if you "Cant" get any more food down your word hole, start adding protein shakes. I like iForce Whey Protean Vanilla Dream. Once you get use to, increase your food intake. I have a client that is having an issue getting enough food down and I have them adding a shake in for a week, then the following week switch the shake for whole food, then the following week add a shake again. Following this till they can get enough food in.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
He already said he us using multiple shakes. Liquid cals are easier to get in and not fill you as much, add extra calories to those shakes. Add a carb powder or honey, fruits, oats, i like adding shaved cocoanut for easy cals.

Eat more fats, oils and nuts add up quickly.

Or just use weight gainers but I prefer adding my own, clean ingredients

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
He already said he us using multiple shakes. Liquid cals are easier to get in and not fill you as much, add extra calories to those shakes. Add a carb powder or honey, fruits, oats, i like adding shaved cocoanut for easy cals.

Eat more fats, oils and nuts add up quickly.

Or just use weight gainers but I prefer adding my own, clean ingredients
Missed that part, in a meeting at work.

Add fat to those shakes, MCT oil has no flavor to it. If you like coconut you can add extravigin coconut oil but may want to add that if it is going to be a blended drink as it becomes solid at 76 deg.

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
Good ideas here, add some coconut oil to those Protean shakes.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You mention going to the gym 5 -6 times a week but what does your routine look like? Do you have a plan/follow a routine? If you're eating that much food your routine may need tweeking.

ThaGerGuy3000

Awards
A lot of big soccer plaxers out there. That csn't be it.
If you ate sub 10% bodygat esting more will surely suffice. Especially protein and fat. No such thing as too much protein.

Also doing barbell work helped me pack on more muscle in 4months than I did in 3 years of machine and dumbellbwork.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
A lot of good stuff already said here.
1. Coconut oil should be in your cooking pan even with foods that don't need oil to cook. I've also found squash will soak up a good amount of coconut oil so I eat more of that in addition to my pound of yams or potatoes drenched in it.
2. Carbs should never stop. ever. You're bulking, they should be shoved down your throat all day long until right before bed.
3. Peanut Butter should be your dessert after every meal. If you feel it isn't tasty enough for dessert, drench it in walnuts, honey, and coconut flakes. marshmellows too if you feel the need to get dirty..
4. Did I mention eat more carbs?
5. egg yolks are your new friend on a bulk
6. Don't be afraid to have a cheat meal, like, mmmmmm, 3 times a week, maybe 8.
7. Shakes, while helpful, don't have enough calories, soooooooo, add an oil(mct at stated above) or just olive oil, Peanut Butter, and some honey, etc.
8. Post workout, for the next 2 hours, you may have more of an appetite, EAT MORE THEN!!! Don't waste post workout hunger. After a leg day in October, I ate a 2 foot rack of ribs and a POUND of Cheesy Quinoa. And this was maybe 20 minutes after my 700 calorie postworkout shake. I gained 8 pounds that month.

If you can't put on weight with a good, compound-based weight training program while eating like this^, then you really have to stop doing cardio, and lay around as much as you can. Weekends? No partying, just sleep, eat, and watch T.V. :)

WhyNoMusic

Awards
Thanks so much for the help! My daily workouts are:

Day1: chest abs
Day2:arms
Day3:back and abs
Day4: shoulders
Day5: legs
Day6: abs (or muscle touch up)
Day7: rest

These workouts all last about 1 hour and I push myself to my max because I know that it will all pay off and am inspired to gain some size.

I find a lot of struggle in tracking my foods that I eat for some reason, it's very time consuming and I am busy and even find it hard sometimes to find a workout.

2 things I didn't mention that I should of: I take Creatine(10g a day) and drink about 100-120oz of water a day. And I also am taking about 1 scoop a night of casein protein 30 mins before bed. (30g of protein)

I will definitely start using coconut oil and be eating more nuts, although I tend to try and eat healthy I might start trying to find more cheat meals as well.

Thanks again, any more comments will be looked at and will start using in my daily life.

ThaGerGuy3000

Awards
I can only advise youb to lift heavy and as often as you can using barbells. Not only can you work out most bodies muscles several times a week that way, it will also provide functional strength for soccer.
Heavy Squats in particular should be awesome because they strengthen your back snd abs as well making injuries less likely to occur as well as help you sprint faster.

You goal is to get more muscle but doing exercises BB style will grant you little strength and carryover. Why not build muscle and enhance you athletic abilities?

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks so much for the help! My daily workouts are:

Day1: chest abs
Day2:arms
Day3:back and abs
Day4: shoulders
Day5: legs
Day6: abs (or muscle touch up)
Day7: rest

These workouts all last about 1 hour and I push myself to my max because I know that it will all pay off and am inspired to gain some size.

I find a lot of struggle in tracking my foods that I eat for some reason, it's very time consuming and I am busy and even find it hard sometimes to find a workout.

2 things I didn't mention that I should of: I take Creatine(10g a day) and drink about 100-120oz of water a day. And I also am taking about 1 scoop a night of casein protein 30 mins before bed. (30g of protein)

I will definitely start using coconut oil and be eating more nuts, although I tend to try and eat healthy I might start trying to find more cheat meals as well.

Thanks again, any more comments will be looked at and will start using in my daily life.
Drop the abs workouts and try more of a p/p/l (push/pull/legs) program. Your current program looks to split up and off focus. Focus on heavy basics. Just my 2 cents.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Drop the abs workouts and try more of a p/p/l (push/pull/legs) program. Your current program looks to split up and off focus. Focus on heavy basics. Just my 2 cents.
Yea, your split is dragged out a bit and isolating.

Push/pull/legs= fantastic

Like this:
M- bench, dumbbell press, military press, dips, skullcrushers.
T-off
W- Squats, squats, squats, leg press, leg curls, calf raises
T-off
F-Dead lifts, pull ups, bent over rows, upright rows, barbell curls.
Repeat.

WhyNoMusic

Awards
Yea, your split is dragged out a bit and isolating. Push/pull/legs= fantastic Like this: M- bench, dumbbell press, military press, dips, skullcrushers. T-off W- Squats, squats, squats, leg press, leg curls, calf raises T-off F-Dead lifts, pull ups, bent over rows, upright rows, barbell curls. Repeat.
Why is the p/p/l so useful? I would think that isolating each muscle to a point to get all the blood pumping to one or two muscles. With p/p/l I feel that you would be hitting several muscles and not really getting them to because stressed.... I am probably wrong but I feel as if that is a maintenance workout:/

Tell me what im thinking wrong haha
Thanks again

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why is the p/p/l so useful? I would think that isolating each muscle to a point to get all the blood pumping to one or two muscles. With p/p/l I feel that you would be hitting several muscles and not really getting them to because stressed.... I am probably wrong but I feel as if that is a maintenance workout:/

Tell me what im thinking wrong haha
Thanks again
Compound movements stress your muscles more causing greater adaptation. Compound = bigger and stronger.

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
i think 5-6 days is too many and will only hurt your gains. For adding size and strength i use an upper lower split. 4 days a week, hitting all body parts 2 times a week with less volume at each workout but higher frequency. Would be laid out: Monday lower Tuesday upper Wednesday off Thursday lower Friday upper weekends off. Focus on big compound lifts very little direct arm work (they will get enough work on big compound lifts)

WhyNoMusic

Awards
i think 5-6 days is too many and will only hurt your gains. For adding size and strength i use an upper lower split. 4 days a week, hitting all body parts 2 times a week with less volume at each workout but higher frequency. Would be laid out: Monday lower Tuesday upper Wednesday off Thursday lower Friday upper weekends off. Focus on big compound lifts very little direct arm work (they will get enough work on big compound lifts)
Okay that does sound reasonable because I know people who go to the gym to much for there own good and end up not helping out their body. Let's say for the upper body compound lifts, what would you do on these 2 days?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
What's your TDEE?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Okay that does sound reasonable because I know people who go to the gym to much for there own good and end up not helping out their body. Let's say for the upper body compound lifts, what would you do on these 2 days?
Bench and overhead press. Followed by rows, pullups, facepulls, and a chest/shoulder accessory lift. Then maybe some 3x10-12 dips. Possibly some weighted planks at the end.

dkgreene88

dkgreene88

Awards
  • Established
You could add a few more Protean shakes throughout the day. That would add extra calories and extra protein and help you put on some mass.