1. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.23%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

ive had it with carbohydrates

Every time I eat over 250g of carbs I get the worst stomach aches possible. Carbs include: brown rice, sweet potatoes, veggie carbs and sometimes wheat bread.

Since bulking is all about calories, where do I put the extra calories if I decide to bulk on 150-200g if carbs? Healthy fats? Because if I eat over 250g of protein my stomach isn't fond of that either.

I need some haaaaallllp AM

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.39%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Try other sources, oatmeal/some fruits

If you go the fats route try spacing the additional fats from the carbs, Keep carbs to peri-workout

I add my fats to breakfast as I workout at night. Whole eggs and Almond butter in Greek Yogurt for me
    Veggies with lunch
    Potatoes/fruits/rice around workout time

Also a good digestive enzyme supplement is worth considering
    Athletix Representative
    Orbit Nutrition Representative;
    Use the code SOCIAL for 10% off your order at Orbit!
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.57%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

work on upping your healthy fats.. I usually eat a couple of fish oil pills with each meal. for me that's about 8-10 grams of fat just from pills. you can use nut sources to really up the fat... things like cashews have a lot of fat and are calorie dense.
    are you doing any cardio while you bulk? somethimes that can help keep you hungry and burning off the extra carbs u are eating.
    FINAFLEX forum rep
    visit our website at finaflex.com
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81%

How does ur body handle MCT's? Easy clean calories. No gettin fat on those. On a 3000kcal diet u could do macros like this.

200g protein = 800kcal
    200g carbs = 800 kcal
    6 tbsp MCT = 600 kcal
    89g fat = 800 kcal

So you'd be at 26.6% on each macro and 20% on MCT's.

Actually MCT's r fats but they have a different metabolic fate than any of the other macros so I calculate them separately. You'd have to work ur way up on those though to get ur stomach used to them...

Mct's can be used on almost anything. Replace cooking oils with it or drizzle it over:

Potatoes, veggies, oatmeal or mix with protein shakes too. Not hard to implement into diet. Cheap too.
  5. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.23%

Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    How does ur body handle MCT's? Easy clean calories. No gettin fat on those. On a 3000kcal diet u could do macros like this.

200g protein = 800kcal
    200g carbs = 800 kcal
    6 tbsp MCT = 600 kcal
    89g fat = 800 kcal

So you'd be at 26.6% on each macro and 20% on MCT's.

Actually MCT's r fats but they have a different metabolic fate than any of the other macros so I calculate them separately. You'd have to work ur way up on those though to get ur stomach used to them...

Mct's can be used on almost anything. Replace cooking oils with it or drizzle it over:

Potatoes, veggies, oatmeal or mix with protein shakes too. Not hard to implement into diet. Cheap too.
    What are MCTs? I need to eat about 3k to gain mass so that macro set up would be awesome.

Google ftw. Do I buy those in a powder or in a certain food form?
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.39%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post

What are MCTs? I need to eat about 3k to gain mass so that macro set up would be awesome.

Coconut oil is easy to replace current oils with and adds a unique flavour to foods.
    If you want more of a solid form my personal preference is unsweetened coconut shavings, tastes great in a chocolate or any protein shake or on top of a carb meal.

Or just go the supplement route and buy supplemental MCT oil.
    Athletix Representative
    Orbit Nutrition Representative;
    Use the code SOCIAL for 10% off your order at Orbit!
  7. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.32%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

MCT= medium chain triglycerides.
    Found in things like coconut oil.
    NOW foods makes some or at least used to.
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
  8. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81%

Best to get in oil form. 1 TBSP is about 100 kcals.
    Take a tbsp at each meal. Mix it with BCAA's and creatine for a 1-2 punch for pre-workout. Stuff got me ripped when I replaced my carbs with it.

Buy some baking soda (not baking powder) to take with MCT's if ur tummy gets to burning. Being a fatty acid it can cause some overly acidic pH levels if taken too much at once.

Start with 1/2 tbsp per meal up to 6 times per day. Slowly work ur way up over the next 2 weeks. I took as much a 8 tbsp per day. Easy way to get calories while bulking or cutting. Tons of solid research supports its ability to cut u up and provide solid energy levels.
  9. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.23%

Best to get in oil form. 1 TBSP is about 100 kcals.
    Take a tbsp at each meal. Mix it with BCAA's and creatine for a 1-2 punch for pre-workout. Stuff got me ripped when I replaced my carbs with it.

Buy some baking soda (not baking powder) to take with MCT's if ur tummy gets to burning. Being a fatty acid it can cause some overly acidic pH levels if taken too much at once.

Start with 1/2 tbsp per meal up to 6 times per day. Slowly work ur way up over the next 2 weeks. I took as much a 8 tbsp per day. Easy way to get calories while bulking or cutting. Tons of solid research supports its ability to cut u up and provide solid energy levels.
    Nice!, I'll give it a go!
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.57%

heed his warning.. you should start slow.. maybe 2 tablespoons a day for a few days then add another... ect ect//
    MCTs yield 7 cals per gram.
    coconut oil yields 9 per gram.
    FINAFLEX forum rep
    visit our website at finaflex.com
  11. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81%

This is true, and when cooking above 350 degrees F, you need to use Coconut Oil or some other type that has a much higher flash point.

However, coconut oil is not the same and it should not be viewed as an equal substitute to MCT oil. About 40% of coconut oil is MCT's but understand that the rest of the oil is LCT's (long chain fatty acids). Furthermore, those LCT's are saturated fats, which are quite possibly the most offensive of all the fats (other than trans fats) that you could eat. They break down slowly, use very little energy to be processed and have a likelihood of killing your appetite if eaten in too large of quantities.

The key in MCT's is precisely the fact that they are "medium" in length and therefore can pass through the intestines immediately upon consumption and will have a fate through the portal vein and processed rapidly by the liver within minutes of consumption.

They spare glycogen and amino acids and can be processed and burned in lieu of a carbohydrate rich meal. And as a comment regarding its caloric density - pure MCT's are 8.3 kcals per gram.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.41%

Don't forget natural peanut butter guys. Loaded with calories and protein. If I need to get some additional calories and not eat a ****load to get them I add a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter to my shake and slam it in the blender. Tasted way better too.
  13. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81%

Quote Originally Posted by dieseljay74 View Post
    Don't forget natural peanut butter guys. Loaded with calories and protein. If I need to get some additional calories and not eat a ****load to get them I add a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter to my shake and slam it in the blender. Tasted way better too.
    On that note, BSN Syntha-6 Chocolate Peanut Butter, a serving a peanut butter, 1 tbsp MCT and a cup of whole milk = awesome and lots of easy calories.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.53%

Fats over carbs always. It's more calorie dense then carbs, try keeping your carbs under 100 grams a day (only pre & post workout) and fill the rest with fats. You'll cut body fat quick cause your only releasing insulin when needed, and your getting all your energy (from fat) to build muscles.
  15. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81%

Quote Originally Posted by Pypp View Post
    Fats over carbs always. It's more calorie dense then carbs, try keeping your carbs under 100 grams a day (only pre & post workout) and fill the rest with fats. You'll cut body fat quick cause your only releasing insulin when needed, and your getting all your energy (from fat) to build muscles.
    The key with that is carb timing as u mentioned because otherwise he'll eat his own muscle aminos trying to train them, ironically.
  16. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.23%

Quote Originally Posted by daAMx View Post

Oat Cereal...does that bother you too, or Oatmeal/Banana's per haps?

I know with some protein shakes if it's too heavy my stomach gets upset....
    If your not allergic to these foods though, you might be good takin some Zofran to counteract nausea, you know if for some reason, based on the nutritional profile of these foods...you want to keep them in your diet.
    You could also take Ginger extract.

If its just a plain old "ache" though, and no nausea, then I would say either you need to take a ****, or get somethin lighter on your stomach...
    Hmmmm....
    Oh god dude for some reason my stomach can't handle oatmeal anymore. I feel bloated and like puking after I eat it.

Going to get some coconut oil tomorrow at whole foods to try and tone down my carbs.
    @fueledpassion omfg syntha 6 pb is epic

Edit- could I buy soft gel.caps instead of straight MCT oil?
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.53%

Oh god dude for some reason my stomach can't handle oatmeal anymore. I feel bloated and like puking after I eat it. Going to get some coconut oil tomorrow at whole foods to try and tone down my carbs. @fueledpassion omfg syntha 6 pb is epic Edit- could I buy soft gel.caps instead of straight MCT oil?
    t

Try going paleo, for a week and see how you do. I had the same problem and found out I was gluten in tolerate
  18. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.23%

Quote Originally Posted by Pypp View Post
    t

Try going paleo, for a week and see how you do. I had the same problem and found out I was gluten in tolerate
    I've gone gluten free and saw no change. Possibly a stomach transplant <\3
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.53%

I've gone gluten free and saw no change. Possibly a stomach transplant <\3
    Try cutting out dairy?
  20. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.96%

Get some digestive enzymes and see if that helps
  21. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.41%

On that note, BSN Syntha-6 Chocolate Peanut Butter, a serving a peanut butter, 1 tbsp MCT and a cup of whole milk = awesome and lots of easy calories.
    I seriously have to control myself from overconsuming these shakes. They are addicting
  22. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81%

Quote Originally Posted by dieseljay74 View Post

I seriously have to control myself from overconsuming these shakes. They are addicting
    Yeah thats all I'm askin for fer Christmas lol. 10lbs of Syntha 6, MCT & Carbo Gain.
  23. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.42%
    Achievements Activity Pro

I don't increase my carbs very often during bulks I generally just add another Protean shake and add some coconut oil.
  24. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.23%

Alright just got my MCT oil. Going to give it a go tomorrow at 1 tbsp mixed with my shake for a snake mid day.
  25. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.5%

"Shots" of olive oil!!! I just started doing them yager bomb style! It's easy to manipulate your fat content whenever you need more fat/cals without feeling too full. It's not too bad either. Just throw down a little water chaser and it's the easiest thing in the world..
  26. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.95%

Good rule for adjusting macro's. Figure protein needed for your LBM then divide that by .75. That is your carb intake. Depending on your calorie needs, multiply your protein by.21 and no more than .41. This is your fat gram intake. Hope that helps
  27. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.81%

Quote Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
    Good rule for adjusting macro's. Figure protein needed for your LBM then divide that by .75. That is your carb intake. Depending on your calorie needs, multiply your protein by.21 and no more than .41. This is your fat gram intake. Hope that helps
    Can you explain that a little more plz. What rule/law/methods do you use for determining LBM protein req?
  28. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81%

Quote Originally Posted by wrathman10 View Post

Can you explain that a little more plz. What rule/law/methods do you use for determining LBM protein req?
    There is no cookie cutter approach. Every one differs slightly. Generally speaking, people agree thT 1 - 1.5g protein per lb of mass is enough for anyone. If doing extreme cutting, that number may need to be higher..
  29. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.95%

depending on how active you are daily your body needs X amount of protein to function. If your LBM(lean body mass) is 185lbs and you are not a pro athlete or extremely active all day every day then multiply that by .7 up to.9(use your judgment on activity level). This is your protein intake. The reason I put this equation in here is because you were having trouble with your stomach and you were readjusting your macros and I thought this would help. As far as needing more than a gram of protein per pound of mass, I think you will find the timing of consumption more important. Everybody is different and that is what makes it so tricky to find the balance.
  30. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81%

Something else to consider is the tendency of each macro to be stored as fat, glycogen or used in muscle-building processes.

Protein has a tendency to be used inside the cell for building.

Carbs have a tendency to be used as glycogenic energy in an on-going basis.

Fats have a tendency to be stored as body fat and later used when carbs are not present or you are in a caloric deficit of some sort.

The only reason I mention this is because there are other reasons to eat protein beyond the reason of "what your body needs". That really depends. Protein doesn't like to be stored as fat, and generally speaking as long as you aren't in a deficit, protein will likely be used to help construct and rebuild fibers. You'd get faster fat burning effects if you were eating 50% of your diet from protein and the other 50% made up of fats/carbs vs. eating 50% carbs, and the fats/proteins make up the rest.

I tend to eat more protein when cutting than bulking. You don't need as much protein when you have tons of carbs/fats for energy during bulk season. Cutting fat, you'll want to lower carbs and make up the difference in protein if possible since protein is way less efficient in the body and will be used up as energy long before it gets stored as fat.
  31. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.49%

if I don't eat 250-350 grams of carbs I cant function lmao

hit that protein man

Similar Forum Threads

1. What's it with white blood?
    By ZoMbSta in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0