Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.72%

What is your definition of a hard gainer

Just curious. I see myself as a hard gainer. I am 38 5 foot 9 and 190lbs. The best I can guess I am 12-13% bf. I have basically been this stature give or take for years. I do not have a problem making strength gains. I am fairly happy with my strength. But when is comes to gaining weight I can easily put it on. But tends to be sloppy. When I bust my hump to take it off. I have gained about 0-2 lbs of good weight.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.3%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

hard gainer = puss-c

your problem is probly with your diet, not your genetics. people through that word around way too much. if you were a real hard gainer, aka a true ectomorph, youd be 5'9 135lbs. if you wanna get into low bf territory, do a bt of reading on the paleo diet. very natural way to eat, and very healthy way to eat
  3. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.83%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

A "hard gainer" is a make believe term made up by small guys without enough motivation to eat enough and train correctly.
    S.N.S. Rep

T-bone@seriousnutritionsolutions .com
    •   

4. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.83%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

You don't sound like a hard gainer at all. You are just getting older and testosterone lower so it is a bit harder to put on actual muscle and a bit easier to put on fat.
    S.N.S. Rep

5. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.72%

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    You don't sound like a hard gainer at all. You are just getting older and testosterone lower so it is a bit harder to put on actual muscle and a bit easier to put on fat.
    Copy. Eat a lot and take juice. Lol
  6. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.24%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

My definition of a hard gainer is someone with an overly efficient metabolism. For instance, me.
    I have to eat more than the average lifter to gain weight.
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
  7. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.07%

There are people out there who appear to need to eat a larger amount of calories to gain weight.

The term 'hardgainer' seems to be thrown around by people who don't get the results they want. Lean muscle growth is slow.

This is my simple solution. It works in all cases with no exceptions; http://on.fb.me/1h1OGMl
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.24%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

But I think the real, honest definition of a hard gainer is any person who had insufficient knowledge of proper dieting techniques or those that aren't motivated enough to learn how to gain so they'd rather classify themselves as a hard gainer.

Once you are equipped with the proper tools and knowledge, there is no such thing as a hard gainer.
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.96%

5'9 and 190 lbs is hardly a hard gainer. Once youre at that lb bracket and that level of body fat you won't be mistaken or classified as a hard gainer.. typically its just the guys around the 130-140's range eat well but still gotta pack up meals for days
  10. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.5%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Hard gainer= someone who is afraid to eat
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.17%

Stop worrying about your weight an thw scale. The scale lies
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.72%

Quote Originally Posted by dubfungus View Post
    Stop worrying about your weight an thw scale. The scale lies
    You do have a good point. When they show what you want they are your friend.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.58%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by FL3X MAGNUM View Post
    But I think the real, honest definition of a hard gainer is any person who had insufficient knowledge of proper dieting techniques or those that aren't motivated enough to learn how to gain so they'd rather classify themselves as a hard gainer.

Once you are equipped with the proper tools and knowledge, there is no such thing as a hard gainer.
    BINGO........however, the fact of the matter is all of us are NOT created equal albeit similar and require a lot more effort than others to obtain a certain stature. I was 135 lbs when i graduated high school 16 years ago and have put on 75 lbs since then. My cousin was built the way I am now, back then, with almost no work. Like it or not, genetics have a lot to do with it.
    Remember why you started.
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.48%
    Achievements Activity Pro

5'9 and 190 is a decent size, around where I'm at now(granted I'm a bit leaner) and I can't think of anyone that would call me a hard gainer although I am finding it more difficult to put on size I'm pretty sure it supposed to get harder the bigger you get just keep at it, eat a little bit more train a little harder and maybe hop on some gear
    The Swole Stoner
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.6%

Hard gainers really exist! I believe that for some people it is really hard to eat enough in order to enter the caloric surplus teritorry where all the muscle gaining happens. It may have to do with inneficient digestive systems, faster metabolic rates or nutrient partitioning.

I am to some degree a hardgainer. I am struggling to eat enough and when I do it for longer periods, I get the results.
    I also have a training buddy, who happend to be my coworker also. We've been training together for a while, eating the same food, etc. He gained a lot of bodyfat and muscle, while I remained the same weight, but lost some bodyfat.

The conclusion is simple: hard gainers exist but they can fix this. There is a herb which fixes the appetite problem and it just works wonders.
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.48%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by ecto84 View Post
    Hard gainers really exist! I believe that for some people it is really hard to eat enough in order to enter the caloric surplus teritorry where all the muscle gaining happens. It may have to do with inneficient digestive systems, faster metabolic rates or nutrient partitioning.

I am to some degree a hardgainer. I am struggling to eat enough and when I do it for longer periods, I get the results.
    I also have a training buddy, who happend to be my coworker also. We've been training together for a while, eating the same food, etc. He gained a lot of bodyfat and muscle, while I remained the same weight, but lost some bodyfat.

The conclusion is simple: hard gainers exist but they can fix this. There is a herb which fixes the appetite problem and it just works wonders.
    I have a one word fix for your situation: McDonald's.

If you can't get your calories, you're not eating calorie dense foods. Notice I didn't say nutrient dense. I'm a naturally easy gainer, but as heavy as I am now, if I want to gain and PR, it's gonna take some pizzadrol and greasy cheesy burgers. No greenery needed.

And yeah, I'm not lean. But I'm not concerned at the moment.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.6%

Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    I have a one word fix for your situation: McDonald's.

If you can't get your calories, you're not eating calorie dense foods. Notice I didn't say nutrient dense. I'm a naturally easy gainer, but as heavy as I am now, if I want to gain and PR, it's gonna take some pizzadrol and greasy cheesy burgers. No greenery needed.

And yeah, I'm not lean. But I'm not concerned at the moment.
    I agree with you on McDonand's. Probably one of the most anabolic post workout meals . The problem is you cant build a million dollar body out of a $1 menu
    For a hardgainer, it is really hard to eat the required amounts of the right stuff, not because it tastes bad, but because it doesnt taste great.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.52%

In theory a hardgainer is someone with an abnormally high TDEE, but metabolic variation isn't that extreme usually.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.48%

Would 140 5'4 8% bodyfat be considered a hard gainer
  20. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.83%

Quote Originally Posted by the_swol_god View Post
    Would 140 5'4 8% bodyfat be considered a hard gainer

No.
    S.N.S. Rep

21. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.32%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by ecto84 View Post

Yes, they do exist. It's all genetics, but endos and mesos can't understand because they've been so spoiled and had it so easy. It's not a part of their "reality".
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.11%

Personally, I find it to be relative. If I compare myself to a guy like Coan or Marius, then I am in the lower genetic threshold and thus I guess compared to them a hard(er)gainer, but if I compare myself to Don Knotts, then I am a genetic superior and no longer have to title myself an HG'er.

Whilst the averages Stuart McRobert et al put out, that many average non drug using lifters can attain very near or at the #300BP #400Sqt #500DL, I find it best not to compare yourself to others and be the best you can be and I also would say, I learned not to attach labels to myself in order to have limits I feel I can't surpass. I guess I just never wanted to give up doing something I loved!?!?
    And too, lots of people have certain gifts or strengths, so finding what you are good at and expounding on it, helps too.
    I always felt I was an HG'er and a poor or under level presser, but have brought my natural raw deadlift to highs that most men my age can't (or don't want to risk) hit or have to use drugs to get there.
  23. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.32%

Paul, I agree with your philosophy wholeheartedly! And obviously any label is subjective (yet in a relative way.) Why pigeonhole yourself? It can become a stigma of one's own reality.

However, I think HG is used in this context as a blanket term for those with a low ratio of caloric efficiency. I don't agree with Stuart completely, but his emphasis on genetics is legitimate.
  24. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.83%

In general most "hard gainers" just don't eat enough. The second they start pounding down calories they gain just fine, they find their numbers shoot through the roof and they stop complaining about not being able to gain. I went from 155 to 185. And thought I was a definite hard gainer, till I found I was just lazy. Eat chicken, rice, beef and potatoes, beans (all kinds), peanut butter or any other nut butter, tuna, ice cream, pizza, cut the cardio, focus on hard core strength and you'd be amazed.
  25. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.75%

Not eating enough, eating too much "clean food" and feeling full before hitting the caps they need, or high activity level beyond weightlifting.
    My Protein shake brings all the girls to the yard
  26. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.75%

Caps = cals
    My Protein shake brings all the girls to the yard
  27. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  167 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.46%

Quote Originally Posted by blacklac View Post
    Not eating enough, eating too much "clean food" and feeling full before hitting the caps they need, or high activity level beyond weightlifting.
    That's my problem right now. I have a very physical job now so I'm on my feet all day pretty much. I'm eating anywhere from 3000-3500 calories a day and I'm maintaining at 150 LOL. Sad day.
  28. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.83%

You "hard gainers" just need to stop eating like ladies.
    S.N.S. Rep

29. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.5%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Fact.

I was in the military, working out in the morning (distance runs), working all day, then going to the gym and I still made gains.

I had to eat an assload, to make gains, but it was a priority for me so I made it happen.
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  30. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.11%

I remember when I went from a thin #185 to up over #215 in a few months one summer. The eating was actually harder and more uncomfortable than the lifting at the time. And eating good stuff instead of just junk calories, made it tougher.
  31. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.32%

I know, right. With a little focus on getting more cals and a dedicated training regiment, even a girl could do it!

(oh yeah, and one more thing... you're probably gonna need lots of "supps" too, lol)
  32. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.83%

Quote Originally Posted by DR.D View Post
    I know, right. With a little focus on getting more cals and a dedicated training regiment, even a girl could do it!

(oh yeah, and one more thing... you're probably gonna need lots of "supps" too, lol)
    Yeah, but that second picture isn't a "girl".
    S.N.S. Rep

33. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.32%

Yeah, but that second picture isn't a "girl".
    The first picture ain't bad to look at though.
  34. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.87%

Quote Originally Posted by FL3X MAGNUM View Post
    My definition of a hard gainer is someone with an overly efficient metabolism. For instance, me.
    I have to eat more than the average lifter to gain weight.
    Same here
    Hardcore Supps for the Hardcore Trainer
    Use Discount Code AM20 To Save 20% At www.ironflexsupps.com

35. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.13%

Someone who can't find the time to eat to gain weight.
  36. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.91%

Quote Originally Posted by subz3r0 View Post
    Someone who can't find the time to eat to gain weight.
    Yea I don't think so. I mean when I was in high school i probably put down 4000 cals daily with no increase in weight and I didn't even lift weights. However, I'm older now metabolism has slowed unfortunately
  37. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.87%

Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post

Yea I don't think so. I mean when I was in high school i probably put down 4000 cals daily with no increase in weight and I didn't even lift weights. However, I'm older now metabolism has slowed unfortunately
    I'm still that way and I'm 24. I can eat taco bell and pizza all day and still stay lean. I hate it
    Hardcore Supps for the Hardcore Trainer
    Use Discount Code AM20 To Save 20% At www.ironflexsupps.com

38. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.36%

Quote Originally Posted by R1balla View Post
    I'm still that way and I'm 24. I can eat taco bell and pizza all day and still stay lean. I hate it
    Go fk yourself. Not srs, but srsly go fk yourself.
  39. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.91%

Oh don't get me wrong though when I stacked M1D Black, 11 ketotest and formeron I was recomping at 3500 cals. Drugs make a pretty drastic difference IMO
  40. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.83%

You hate that?. Come on!.
    S.N.S. Rep

Similar Forum Threads

1. What is YOUR opinion of beef jerky as a snack??
    By D3vildog in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-26-2008, 04:26 PM
  2. What is YOUR opinion of Beef Jerky as a snack??
    By D3vildog in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-29-2008, 12:53 PM
  3. What is your definition of high frequency training?
    By Rugger in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-22-2008, 03:03 PM
  4. What is your interpretation of this
    By ReaperX in forum General Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-29-2007, 08:55 PM
  5. WHat is your opinion of Applied Nutriceuticals IGF-2?
    By Dogsoldier in forum Supplements
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 09-17-2007, 10:50 PM