Getting into lifting, but need direction

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.33%

Getting into lifting, but need direction

I'm 25, 6'3 and about 200lbs. I'm basically starting from scratch when it comes to a workout/nutrition routine. I've read a lot about supps not being that important for younger guys or noobs, which is helpful, as I've been doing a lot of research but gaining little knowledge on them, lol.

If someone could point me in the right direction in terms of foods to eat/stay away from, or any other knowledge you could pass onto me, that would be awesome. I'm totally new to this forum, but I don't really expect anyone to hold my hand. Just trying to skip the "getting a feel for things" sort of time period that could be potentially endless for someone who has only really lifted in high school sports workouts lol.

That being said, thanks in advance for anyone willing to take the time to point me to a link, or even respond with any advice. As of right now, I've been doing a good amount of the lifts I remember from our various workouts back in the day, but am looking to start a specific lifting routine asap. The only additional information I can give is that I have some discomfort in my rotator cuff from what I suspect to be a mild tear from my high school years (javelin).

Thanks again!

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  236 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.56%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

What are your goals?
    FINAFLEX PRODUCT EDUCATOR

​" If you're looking for a work horse.......I'm no Clydesdale."
  3. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.87%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

a good thing to start with is trying to get more lean proteins in your diet. chicken breasts, tuna, eggs, lean beef, whey protein ect.
    keep your diet full of quality whole foods. spend less time eating fast foods and more time seeking out wholesome nutrition.
    there are some good supplements to take regaurdless of your experience level.
    I recommend :
    Fish oil
    Athletic multi
    creatine
    Protein

these are very helpful to pretty much any goal you might have.
    FINAFLEX forum rep
    visit our website at finaflex.com
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.18%
    Achievements Activity Pro

GUessing your goal is to Bulk as that is the forum you posted it in.

FIrst and for most is nutrition. Lean proteins, "clean" carb sources, vegetables, healthy fats. Simply put, stay away from crap food. A dirty bulk is an excuse to get fat.

Training, there are a MILLION+1 bulking training programs out there. 5x5, mountain dog ect. Find one that you think looks fun and give it a shot. Dont give up on it right away as you just starting out, and if you have the right intensity training each week you will progress crazy. I have a client that hasnt trained in 8 months, started with me and has doubled his bench, squat, and DL in 1 month. So he is constantly progressing.

Supps, well as you said you dont really need much if anything at all starting out. Only things I recommend based on if you have the $ to buy are, fish oil, athletic multi, protein, creatine mono.
    iForce Nutrition Anabolics Minion Member
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate
    iForce Nutrition -www.iForceNutrition.com
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.89%

Good advice in the replies thus far, but I just thought I would add that for most newbies, one of the main things that's important to avoid and easy to remember is items loaded with sugar. You'll most likely start to see positive changes just by replacing things like sodas with water.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.12%
    Achievements Activity Pro

Goals would be nice, but some useful information has already been provided.

Creatine
    Beta Alanine
    Fish Oil
    Protean
    Athletic Multi

Caloric deficit for cut or caloric surplus for bulk.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.33%

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out some of the bulking training programs so I can get a move on it.

As for goals, I don't really know that I have any. I've just decided that I'm going to get back into the gym and work my ass off toward getting big. If I could imagine a goal for myself, I'd say it would be to get up to about 225 by the end of the year with 10% body fat.
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  236 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.56%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by sbkyoshi View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I'll check out some of the bulking training programs so I can get a move on it.

As for goals, I don't really know that I have any. I've just decided that I'm going to get back into the gym and work my ass off toward getting big. If I could imagine a goal for myself, I'd say it would be to get up to about 225 by the end of the year with 10% body fat.
    (Cliff notes version)

Foods ~ Walk around the outside isles of the super market. Meat, vegetables fruits. Oatmeal, rice sweet potatoes. If you have to cook it above fire to eat it then it's probably good to go.

Workout ~ Check out starting strength very good program for getting back in the gym.

Supps ~ Multi Vitamin, fish oil, creatine.

Work your ass off and get plenty of rest.

Find you maintenance calories for body weight and add 500 on top of that. Find a macro split that you will enjoy and get to it.
    FINAFLEX PRODUCT EDUCATOR

​" If you're looking for a work horse.......I'm no Clydesdale."
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.41%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

No matter what your goals are you could always use a good Fish Oil, Protean/ Isotean, and Athletic MultiVitamin as a staple in your regime
    Myokem Rep 15% Off @ Myokem.com use code dkgreene15
    NITRAMINE-Elite Preworkout Ignition System |PYROXAMINEHigh Performance Thermogenic Agent |MAGNITROPIN-High Performance Myotropic Agent |ALPHADEX-High Performance Hormone Modulator
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.56%

Things I wish I would've known/done when I first started:

-Go to the doctor and get a check up

-Skip the supplements for the first 6 months and instead use the money you would've spent on quality food

-Start a program that forces progressive overload

-Learn good form and posture

-Find a external fitness motivation (Sports ect.)

Similar Forum Threads

1. Getting back into lifting. This for me?
    By prodigy1290 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-20-2012, 01:32 PM
  2. Eating a shlode but I need direction
    By Mmyamahar6 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-05-2011, 07:56 PM
  3. back into healthy lifestyle BUT need help
    By zigzagzz in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-07-2010, 10:52 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-25-2007, 06:27 PM
  5. Well, getting into my 3rd week of MOHN...
    By Odessa14 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-05-2004, 11:42 AM