What am I doing wrong?

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.29%

What am I doing wrong?

I feel like I just can't gain, and I'm eating 4k cals a day, 170g of protein, 300+ carbs, etc...Is my protein intake too low?

I've gained about 2 lbs in a month. My goal weight is 190..I'm 6'4", so i guess it's harder to put on weight, but is gaining weight actually this slow, or am I just doing something wrong?

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.73%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

You most definetly are doing something wrong

170g protein=680 calories
    300g carbs=1200 calories
    So that leaves 2120 calories left for your suppossed 4k+ calorie intake. I doubt your eating 235g of fat (235g of fat=2120 calories)

So, all of that leads me to believe that you are under eating and actually aren't taking in 4,000+ calories per day and you need to count your stuff correctly

If you actually are eating 4k+ then you will undoubtedly gain weight, unless your expenditure is so high that you burn those calories off.

It's simple. If you aren't gaining, then you aren't eating enough. Go eat a hamburger!
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.07%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting Pro

math ftw
    •   

4. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.73%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Definetly needed the calculator. Multiplying by 4 was way too complicated for me!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.5%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation Authority

as stated already, do the math correct first.

Then if you still arent growing, eat more food. Pretty simple.
    iForce Nutrition Anabolics Minion Member
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate
    iForce Nutrition -www.iForceNutrition.com
  6. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.58%

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    You most definetly are doing something wrong

170g protein=680 calories
    300g carbs=1200 calories
    So that leaves 2120 calories left for your suppossed 4k+ calorie intake. I doubt your eating 235g of fat (235g of fat=2120 calories)

So, all of that leads me to believe that you are under eating and actually aren't taking in 4,000+ calories per day and you need to count your stuff correctly

If you actually are eating 4k+ then you will undoubtedly gain weight, unless your expenditure is so high that you burn those calories off.

It's simple. If you aren't gaining, then you aren't eating enough. Go eat a hamburger!
    Well said.

I'd also add that as a general rule of thumb, if you multiply your body mass X 20-22, you'll get a rough estimate of a good bulking number to shoot for. So for 175lbs, aim for 3500 kcals to start. Increase every week.

From the stats you have, it seems like you are an ectomorph and likely have a higher metabolism than most. If so, I'd recommend eating more carbs and protein and less fats. This will increase your appetite.

Weight train only 3 days per week and do high-intensity cardio to control fat gain.
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.41%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation Authority

Probably want to increase your protein intake also, by at least 30+ grams per day. I'm 220 and get about 300 grams of protein per day. It is hard to eat that much so I take some Protean to supplement my protein intake. Fats are easy, eat nuts, or drink some olive oil
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.21%

Quote Originally Posted by Stryfe View Post
    I feel like I just can't gain, and I'm eating 4k cals a day, 170g of protein, 300+ carbs, etc...Is my protein intake too low?

I've gained about 2 lbs in a month. My goal weight is 190..I'm 6'4", so i guess it's harder to put on weight, but is gaining weight actually this slow, or am I just doing something wrong?
    gaining weight naturally is slow and hard. you may need to eat even more to gain a little faster. a good rule of thumb would be to eat enough that you are taking two big ole sh!ts a day. im being serious. you should literally feel like your going to burst at the seams from every meal and then you should throw in a few extra meals to be sure. throw on top of that a solid supplement stack and your likely to grow 10 lbs in short order. also do more dead lifts.
    FINAFLEX forum rep
    visit our website at finaflex.com

Similar Forum Threads

1. Powerfull - What am I doing wrong?
    By halljo in forum Supplements
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-21-2006, 12:55 AM
  2. What am I doing wrong? Clogged filter?
    By AgentOrange in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-10-2006, 11:07 PM
  3. injections-what am i doing wrong?
    By jeff33333 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-14-2005, 01:28 PM
  4. What Am I Doing Wrong?
    By Chad in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-16-2004, 10:40 AM