Not quite sure what to eat

  1. Not quite sure what to eat


    I'm looking to add some muscle mass and definition. Nothing crazy, I just want to look good and feel good. I'm 37 years old, 5'8" and 160 lbs. I understand I probably need to eat low fat, but I'm kinda of ignorant about the rest. How many calories, protein, carbs, how much fat? I'm new to training so that's why I ask. I don't want to do any damage to myself or add body fat.


  2. First off calculate your TDEE, google how to do and report back with the estimated number

  3. Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    First off calculate your TDEE, google how to do and report back with the estimated number
    Depending on which calculator I used it was 2308-2595.
    •   
       


  4. Id start at the higher number and try and consume that many cals everyday. Heres wat i do:
    1gram protein per pound bodyweight
    .5gram fat per pound
    And fill the rest with carbs

  5. Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    Id start at the higher number and try and consume that many cals everyday. Heres wat i do:
    1gram protein per pound bodyweight
    .5gram fat per pound
    And fill the rest with carbs
    Ok. Thanks. With the carbs I assume avoid sugars? Stick with mainly starches?

  6. Not necessarily

  7. Quote Originally Posted by bmahon View Post
    Ok. Thanks. With the carbs I assume avoid sugars? Stick with mainly starches?
    I believe in not eating anything white . People say simple carbs(sugar) post workout with fast absorbing protein(whey). To me that's bro science . If you hit your macros in a day it really doesn't matter when you eat them . IMO
    I also taper carbs down during the day and try to get 0 carbs in your last meal .
    Now if quick fat loss is what your looking for then ultra low carbs is the fastest route. Again IMO
    "Strive to seize the initiative in all things"

  8. Quote Originally Posted by roblasane View Post

    I believe in not eating anything white . People say simple carbs(sugar) post workout with fast absorbing protein(whey). To me that's bro science . If you hit your macros in a day it really doesn't matter when you eat them . IMO
    I also taper carbs down during the day and try to get 0 carbs in your last meal .
    Now if quick fat loss is what your looking for then ultra low carbs is the fastest route. Again IMO
    I do eat whole grain. I try to stay away from the white flours. I'm not really looking for a lot of fat loss. I've done that already. I'm looking to put muscle on now.

  9. Get some creatine and eat , eat and lift.
    At your age I'd recommend a good natural test booster. I love titanium .

    http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/a...m-90-caps.html

    You could also add a anti estrogen / cortisol control like erase or erase pro . That's a nice stack.
    "Strive to seize the initiative in all things"

  10. Quote Originally Posted by bmahon View Post
    I'm looking to add some muscle mass and definition. Nothing crazy, I just want to look good and feel good. I'm 37 years old, 5'8" and 160 lbs. I understand I probably need to eat low fat, but I'm kinda of ignorant about the rest. How many calories, protein, carbs, how much fat? I'm new to training so that's why I ask. I don't want to do any damage to myself or add body fat.

    Just look for a good nutrition book on Amazon. I follow the Metabolic diet and have been following it for years, on and off....You're less than 200 pounds so I'm guessing you don't have problems with gaining fat...So you wouldn't have to worry about carbs too much.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post

    Just look for a good nutrition book on Amazon. I follow the Metabolic diet and have been following it for years, on and off....You're less than 200 pounds so I'm guessing you don't have problems with gaining fat...So you wouldn't have to worry about carbs too much.
    Never thought of looking on amazon. Thanks. Yeah I have no problem gaining fat. I used to be 225 lbs. I'm kind of confused about carbs though. I've heard of good carbs, bad carbs, don't eat carbs late on the day. I can track protein, fat and calories no problem. I'm worried about screwing up the carbs.

  12. Do not over think it. I enjoy carbs for bulking. Its all trial and error and will most likely have to tweak the diet a few times

  13. Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    Do not over think it. I enjoy carbs for bulking. Its all trial and error and will most likely have to tweak the diet a few times
    This. I am 39 and when I bulk, I just make sure I am getting around 5k calories a day. I have never sat and figured out exact ratios of protein, carbs, and fats, but I certainly eat a ton of carbs. Once I am done with my bulk, I cut back on carbs to maintain.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by bmahon View Post
    Never thought of looking on amazon. Thanks. Yeah I have no problem gaining fat. I used to be 225 lbs. I'm kind of confused about carbs though. I've heard of good carbs, bad carbs, don't eat carbs late on the day. I can track protein, fat and calories no problem. I'm worried about screwing up the carbs.

    Just search "bodybuilding nutrition" on Amazon. They have millions of books, just read over the reviews and pick a book you like. It's easier following a book than going online and asking 20 different people questions. You'll get 20 different answers or opinions, it will just confuse you more. That's my one opinion though. That's why I'd rather start with a good book.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. 30 years old, Low-T and not sure what to do...
    By ap0352 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 06-14-2012, 05:24 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-19-2010, 07:23 AM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-17-2010, 12:37 PM
  4. not sure what to do...
    By redrocket in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-23-2009, 12:56 PM
  5. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Log in
Log in