Chest suggestions

Jrhoffman933

Jrhoffman933

Awards
Im looking for chest adivce i get my chest sore but i want to make them hurt the next days not just sore, right now im doing chest 5x5 of usually 205 right now go up to 215 if the last set is too easy, then i do dumbell bench press with 75s 3x10 then a chest fly machine because dumbell chest flys tends to make my right shoulder hurt then i finish with usually a burn out on a bench machine doing usually 3x5 of negative resistance ( holding for as long as possible)

Then for triceps i do tricep extensions 3x10 , tricep kick backs 3x10, skull crushers 3x10 then usually a machine tricep pull down 3x failure

looking for susgestions for tricep and chest work outs thatnks !!

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
what difference does the soreness have to do with hypertrophy?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just because you're sore doesn't mean it's a good workout. I'll do the same movements without change for a few sessions, won't be sore, yet they still grow and gain strength. The DOMS can be just from your muscles being provided a different stimulus..or lack of recovery.

I saw your other post, asking for general advice. If you don't mind me saying...a 5x5, 5/3/1, Upper/Lower split, some type or proven program, would be beneficial for your goals.

That being said:
Flat DB Bench, Incline DB bench, Weighted Dips, DB Floor press, ring push-ups...honestly any chest movement...vary your reps and intensity

Tris-Tate press, JM press, rolling tricep extensions, close grip, incline close grip, dips

Jrhoffman933

Jrhoffman933

Awards
i just feel as if i havnt done an effective work out if the next couple days after im not that sore...

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Got to love when people think the only way it is a good workout is if they are sore.

Jcweinsx

Awards
Find a Muy Thai fighter and have em kick you in the chest. ... On a more serious note you could try some finishing exercises or using longer pause at the bottom of the movement with slow eccentric phase. The more pain does not equal more gain argument is still in play. If all you want is more pain you can make that happen. Are you training for strength, mass, or to get ripped? Different strategies for different goals.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Got to love when people think the only way it is a good workout is if they are sore.
its the reason most trainers make their money. they beat the f*ck out of people and the people think they had a great workout. its one reason why i got out of the industry.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Forget DOMS being the prerequisite to a good workout and just focus on progression. Progression is the key.

rockme

rockme

Awards
Forget DOMS being the prerequisite to a good workout and just focus on progression. Progression is the key.
DOMS is overrated. You hit the nail on the head my man. Progression. Progress (intensity/rep increases) in your workouts and you will see gains

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In all fairness, if I'm truly expressing "progression", whether it be increased weights, increased reps or shorter rest periods - I always experience some level of DOMS with it. Granted, it is rarely severe after getting into a routine. Usually, DOMS is worst when I try something new or have a "one-off" training session.

End of the day, you need to tear the muscle with overload techniques. Not every set, per say but at least once per exercise you need to experience failure in the set to experience productive muscular breakdown. Keeping track of when, where and how much weight was applied to this event is paramount if you really want to track success in your routine.

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
I always get more sore from DB workouts than from BB workouts. Do a few sets of 125 DB presses focusing on bringing the weights back down rrreeeeeeaaaaaaalllllyyyyy slowly and I promise you some soreness for a couple days afterwards. And don't forget weighted dips which are great for chest and triceps.

jvu9109

jvu9109

Awards
Hit chest from all angles. From what I see in your routine, the volume is way too low. I recommend incline dumbbell press, dips, and dumbbell pullovers to be worthwhile additions to your routine. Hope this helps.

josephardy

Awards
More volume. Much . Much more volume . Your sets should mirror this :

Incline bench
Decline flys
Flat dumbbell bench
Incline flys
Decline bench press
Flat Bench negatives
Dips
Push ups

python93

python93

Awards
Does muscle soreness = hypertrophy? If not what does?

bruce_wayne

Awards
Like everyone said, soreness doesn't equal improvement.

If you are trying to add size but keep doing the same weight and reps every workout,, that's part for the problem.

Progression is key.

Jackson20

Jackson20

Awards
Like everyone said, soreness doesn't equal improvement. If you are trying to add size but keep doing the same weight and reps every workout,, that's part for the problem. Progression is key.
I just get a weight i can get 6 or 7 but not 8, once i hit 8 i up the weight. Not alot but just to were im only getting 6 or 7 again.

Jackson20

Jackson20

Awards
Iv Seen a guy destroy his peck trying to do to much weight, so id say no soreness isn't always good.

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
Does muscle soreness = hypertrophy? If not what does?
Progressive overload + caloric surplus= hypertrophy. Really once your body's adapted to the movements if you're taking steps towards proper recovery doms should be almost a non issue

tcslick

tcslick

Awards
Im looking for chest adivce i get my chest sore but i want to make them hurt the next days not just sore, right now im doing chest 5x5 of usually 205 right now go up to 215 if the last set is too easy, then i do dumbell bench press with 75s 3x10 then a chest fly machine because dumbell chest flys tends to make my right shoulder hurt then i finish with usually a burn out on a bench machine doing usually 3x5 of negative resistance ( holding for as long as possible)

Then for triceps i do tricep extensions 3x10 , tricep kick backs 3x10, skull crushers 3x10 then usually a machine tricep pull down 3x failure

looking for susgestions for tricep and chest work outs thatnks !!
Try hitting flys first to pre-exhaust the pecs then do into flat/incline/decline barbell bench.

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
As said, DOMS and hypertrophy are not directly correlated. It's all about volume and intensity. Think of it this way, have you have ever seen a really skinny guy pushing a weight for 6+ reps that you'd think no way in hell would be able to lift? No.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As said, DOMS and hypertrophy are not directly correlated. It's all about volume and intensity. Think of it this way, have you have ever seen a really skinny guy pushing a weight for 6+ reps that you'd think no way in hell would be able to lift? No.
I'm not sure I understand the last part. I've seen it quite a bit.

Edit: I've seen a guy squat 455x24 at a bodyweight of less than 185.

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
I'm not sure I understand the last part. I've seen it quite a bit
I can't say I have, and given the strong crossover with strength and hypertrophy, I can't believe it's a common sight.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm not sure I understand the last part. I've seen it quite a bit.

Edit: I've seen a guy squat 455x24 at a bodyweight of less than 185.
Believable. I can bang out 315 X 15 reps and I only weigh 175lbs...give me another year and I'll be able to get that same weight 25 reps or more. And I've never done a single strength program.

But 455 X 24 is world class liftin'.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I can't say I have, and given the strong crossover with strength and hypertrophy, I can't believe it's a common sight.
Actually it's quite common for strength athletes. I squat more than several guys I know who are trained and larger than I am. I also know guys that are smaller than me, and lift way more.

Would a 165lb guy deadlifting 560x6 seem normal to you? Nope. But I've seen it.

All I'm trying to get at, is just because you're big, doesn't mean you're strong. You have the potential to be stronger.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Believable. I can bang out 315 X 15 reps and I only weigh 175lbs...give me another year and I'll be able to get that same weight 25 reps or more. And I've never done a single strength program. But 455 X 24 is world class liftin'.
455x8 is my high rep PR :( lol

The guy that did the 455x24 was from a parallel box...but yeah..he's an elite lifter lol

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Actually it's quite common for strength athletes. I squat more than several guys I know who are trained and larger than I am. I also know guys that are smaller than me, and lift way more.

Would a 165lb guy deadlifting 560x6 seem normal to you? Nope. But I've seen it.

All I'm trying to get at, is just because you're big, doesn't mean you're strong. You have the potential to be stronger.
That is 100% correct and I dont see why that statement wouldnt satisfy this argument.

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
I think I'm being misunderstood... I'm not saying it's a linear thing and the bigger you are the more you can lift... just that at the bottom end of the scale it's not all that common, and 9 out 10 people if eating and lifting right, focusing on volume and intensity, they WILL put on muscle. Everyone is different of course, genetics etc. I'm just speaking to the principle of muscle building.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think I'm being misunderstood... I'm not saying it's a linear thing and the bigger you are the more you can lift... just that at the bottom end of the scale it's not all that common, and 9 out 10 people if eating and lifting right, focusing on volume and intensity, they WILL put on muscle. Everyone is different of course, genetics etc. I'm just speaking to the principle of muscle building.
Okay. I thought you were saying that the little guy can't be stronger than the big guy.

Understood

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
Okay. I thought you were saying that the little guy can't be stronger than the big guy.

Understood
Hell no lol. I'm not a big guy and I can lift more than guys bigger than me in my gym, so I know that isn't the case.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
I'm not sure I understand the last part. I've seen it quite a bit. Edit: I've seen a guy squat 455x24 at a bodyweight of less than 185.
Lol I've seen stuff like this too and it truly amazes me. Kid at my gym must have been 135 benching 225 for 8 on incline bench but he was skinny as a rail with very little muscle mass

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
Lol I've seen stuff like this too and it truly amazes me. Kid at my gym must have been 135 benching 225 for 8 on incline bench but he was skinny as a rail with very little muscle mass
I know what you mean, it's not impossible... again though, I wasn't say it was, just that generally speaking, as per the OP's original post, and speaking towards muscle building principles, if someone is eating to calorie excess and lifting right, they will put on muscle... DOMS has nothing to do with it.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
I know what you mean, it's not impossible... again though, I wasn't say it was, just that generally speaking, as per the OP's original post, and speaking towards muscle building principles, if someone is eating to calorie excess and lifting right, they will put on muscle... DOMS has nothing to do with it.
Any idea as to why someone so small might be able to lift so much?

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
Neurological adaptation, and possibly greater muscle density than your avg lifter