Bulking- Oats Yes No?

gmanall

Awards
I have a rather high metabolism(Hyperthyroid) and have been gaining 1-2 pounds a week on 4230 for about 2 month until recently were I plateaued my weight gain. I don't really want to add more calories seeing as I can hardly get/keep the amount I have now down. A big part of my diet is the 6 cups of oats I eat daily which has been recently been leaving me bloated and making my stool looking like chocolate oatmeal. Because oats are a complex carb is the thermo effect bringing my calorie count down significantly? Should I add digestive enzymes? Is there a cheap replacement for oats that would go well in a shake?

StrongRpblcan

Awards
The Thermic Effect of Food (TEF) is proportional to the amount of calories consumed, meaning 6 cups of any carb source (simple or complex) will have a large impact. Oats are great for any goal IMO, you just tailor the amounts to your preference and macros.

As for digestive enzymes, I take EvoMuse Gut Health - simple, effective, and affordable.

JoeRich

Awards
switch things up Gatorade....doritios just hit your macros

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
If youre referencing carbs only then look into dextrose and other powdered carb sources. Gut health works great

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Cream of wheat gets my vote. It's quick and easy and really Does the body good. I think that you should also consider adding some peanut butter to your diet if your trying to bulk. It's a quick addition to any diet. Have you seen what a bodybuilder diet looks like?

Little_Dude

Little_Dude

Awards
Cream of wheat gets my vote. It's quick and easy and really Does the body good. I think that you should also consider adding some peanut butter to your diet if your trying to bulk. It's a quick addition to any diet. Have you seen what a bodybuilder diet looks like?
Agreed

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
THis does not answer your question about oats,

But if you want to bulk easy, make meatloafs with 90% lean beef or better. There are lots of recipes online. They are packed with calories and perfect for bulking. Eat 2 pounds worth of meat (1 loaf) a day and watch your weight skyrocket.

You wont have to eat as much carbs because of the calories in the meatloaf either.

The dextrose tip above is a good one too. Have 50g intra workout and 100grams with your protien shake post. its another easy way of getting calories. And because you're injesting them around your workout, it wont matter that they are simple-carbs.

DanaeZ82

DanaeZ82

Banned
Awards
Cream of Rice. Cream of wheat is disgusting and Oats are great but they leave me feeling bloated, so I use cream of rice. A little WFSF syrup stevia and cinnamon and boom. Like a dessert :)

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
Could be all the fiber?? 6 cups of Oats is like 48g's, not including the rest of the food you eat daily.

I've heard 10g/1000 calories was a good baseline range. I personally need a tad more, but that will be individual.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You could try a GDA to try to help minimize the bloat... otherwise just try taking in a large majority of your carbs around post workout and include juices etc...

Also, healthy fats are a great way to get additional cals in tbsp olive oil, coconut oil, nuts, avocado etc

Headstrong

Headstrong

Awards
Oats for bulking, absolutely! I blend mine up with my morning shakes.

DanaeZ82

DanaeZ82

Banned
Awards
Oats first thing in the morning only but I have switched to cr of rice.

D3platinum

D3platinum

Awards
Oats for bulking, absolutely! I blend mine up with my morning shakes.

Only thing I hate, is its a drag to clean up my blender with it. Starting to get into bulking and really like this as a cheap solution in the meantime...

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Change of pace for sure. Agree with pretty much everyone saying should go to cream of rice. One way that I like to do it, plus also feels like a cheat and I eat it any time through the day. Take instant rice, white or brown, put in a blender for a bit to make it look like cream of rice.

Add to that
Water recommended for the amount of rice your making
iForce Protean
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

Tastes like warm pudding. Plus if you are looking to continue to bulk up, the protein and the oil wont fill you up like you were saying earlier.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Put some soap and water in the blender, blend for about 20 seconds, then rinse. It will clean itself.
Favorite way to clean my blender.