Skinny guy syndrome

N

nat.4118

Awards
Hi everyone. New to the forum and would like to ask what your views on bulking are in terms of dirty and clean and with or without supplements. I'm currently at college and I am about to finish my first year in a fitness course. At the end of my second year I will be a fully qualified PT so I think it would be best for my to gain some muscle. I'm 5"10 and roughly 67kg so well underweight IMO. I've previously been with PT's before as I weighed about 60kg this time last year. However, due to a fractured arm this hindered my progress and now no longer being in a full time job has cut my finances to buy lots of food. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Nathan

P

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
Hi everyone. New to the forum and would like to ask what your views on bulking are in terms of dirty and clean and with or without supplements. I'm currently at college and I am about to finish my first year in a fitness course. At the end of my second year I will be a fully qualified PT so I think it would be best for my to gain some muscle. I'm 5"10 and roughly 67kg so well underweight IMO. I've previously been with PT's before as I weighed about 60kg this time last year. However, due to a fractured arm this hindered my progress and now no longer being in a full time job has cut my finances to buy lots of food. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Nathan
Just eat. You don't need supplements. Lot's of inexpensive food that is healthy and full of calories.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
im guessin you dont live in the US?

and by PT, do you mean physical therapist or personal trainer? if you live in the US and you went to college to be a personal trainer, you ****ed up and wasted hella time

Heavyappetite

Heavyappetite

Awards
Hey bro.. not sure if this is something you're after or not - but its a guideline to get started. I just copied it from another thread i posted it in where another guy was asking a similar question. Let me know what you think.. Even though im a supplement whore i know i wouldn't be anywhere if it weren't for my mean diet. Again...this is just a sample to work with.

"Personally I'd make it easier for myself by making the meals simpler and just by taking an all round simpler approach. I think you're confusing yourself.

Choose your protein of 250g (beef mince/chicken /fish) choose a low gi carb 200-250g (uncle tobys oats/sweet potato/brown rice) and then some EFA's like 2tbsp (flaxseed/macadamia nut oil/avocado/almond butter etc)

Start with 2/2/.5 ratio (protein/carbs/fats) and monitor how youre going. Limit cardio to maybe twice a week for 20 min (just for heart health)

As for training... Lift as heavy as you can while maintaining good form and dont worry about abs right now. Abs on a skinny dude is like tits on a fat chick...

It doesnt count.

Hope this helps a little champ."

N

nat.4118

Awards
Thanks for the help! I'm from the uk and to become a personal trainer it's probably best to do it at college. Top many companies forming who offer anyone the chance to become a personal trainer if the pay a sum of around $5500.

Heavyappetite

Heavyappetite

Awards
Thanks for the help! I'm from the uk and to become a personal trainer it's probably best to do it at college. Top many companies forming who offer anyone the chance to become a personal trainer if the pay a sum of around $5500.
Nothing different in Australia bro... Between 4 and 6k here.

N

nat.4118

Awards

N

nat.4118

Awards
Nothing different in Australia bro... Between 4 and 6k here.

One of the main reasons the fitness world if being filled up with people who can talk the talk but can t walk the walk.

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
Hey bro.. not sure if this is something you're after or not - but its a guideline to get started. I just copied it from another thread i posted it in where another guy was asking a similar question. Let me know what you think.. Even though im a supplement whore i know i wouldn't be anywhere if it weren't for my mean diet. Again...this is just a sample to work with.

"Personally I'd make it easier for myself by making the meals simpler and just by taking an all round simpler approach. I think you're confusing yourself.

Choose your protein of 250g (beef mince/chicken /fish) choose a low gi carb 200-250g (uncle tobys oats/sweet potato/brown rice) and then some EFA's like 2tbsp (flaxseed/macadamia nut oil/avocado/almond butter etc)

Start with 2/2/.5 ratio (protein/carbs/fats) and monitor how youre going. Limit cardio to maybe twice a week for 20 min (just for heart health)

As for training... Lift as heavy as you can while maintaining good form and dont worry about abs right now. Abs on a skinny dude is like tits on a fat chick...

It doesnt count.

Hope this helps a little champ."
Could I steal the bolded quote for my sig?

Heavyappetite

Heavyappetite

Awards
P

purebred

Sounds like a case of the "me no eat enough but me think me eat a lot" syndrome. :)

N

nat.4118

Awards
No im pretty aware that I don't eat enough. I am asking what you guys views are on clean/dirty bulking and a sufficient diet to bulk on a student budget.

D

deerow

Awards
You are clearly ectomorphic, or in commonly known terms, a hard gainer. Generally accepted training methodology for ectomorphs calls for low rep, (4-6) heavy sets (80% of 1 RM ) with long rest between sets (2-5 minutes.) Eat double the amount you are eating now with protein levels equal in grams per to your desired weight in pounds. Do no aerobic training what-so-ever. Your metabolic rate is roughly double that of a non-ectomorphic person so it's all about getting your daily calories up...I would say to close to 4000 calories per day.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
No im pretty aware that I don't eat enough. I am asking what you guys views are on clean/dirty bulking and a sufficient diet to bulk on a student budget.
You may find the below information useful, it is from a news article on the AM site. You can google it to find the exact article. Also a cheap easy way to get extra calories would be to add 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil a day to your diet. According the mediterranean diet it is actually healthy for your heart and an easy way to get 500+ calories extra.

"Forbes et al found in an often-cited study titled "Hormonal Response to Overeating" that when a group of adult female test subjects went from eating a maintenance diet to one that provided 1,200-1,600 surplus calories per day for 21 days, their blood tests showed a progressive increase in the three most powerful anabolic hormones: IGF-1, testosterone, and insulin. This hormone spike was also accompanied by an equal impressive gain in solid muscular body weight.

Granted, the ladies did gain a few pounds of body fat along with those lean muscle gains. It was about half fat, half muscle. But can you imagine how much greater those lean muscle gains would have been if the test subjects actually worked out with weights and ate a high-protein muscle-building meal plan?

The takeaway is that whenever you drastically increase your calorie intake over base levels, your body will release higher amounts of anabolic hormones to shuttle those extra calories toward lean muscle growth, not simply fat. This elevated anabolic response continues for about two weeks."

C

Changeling021

Awards
Hit each body part hard once a week so you stimulate your muscles and give them time to recover and grow. Then eat, trying for 225 grams of protein each day (1.5 times your body weight) with sufficient slow burning carbs and healthy fats to keep your body anabolic. You'll probably find that due to a fast metabolism you require close to 4,000 calories a day to gain muscle. Make sure your post workout meal or shake has fast burning carbs so you will get an insulin spike that will help with protein uptake. A casein shake at bed time can help you keep anabolic while you sleep.

N

nat.4118

Awards
I have a weight gainer (sci-mx mass) so 618 calories per serving (46g protein + 100g carbs) usually with a full pint of full fat milk, 50g oats and 2tbl spoons olive oil so 1200 calories per shake and goes down well!! I've also started to take creatine monohydrate on the loading phase just now. Along with a high protein diet also chicken,beef,rice, pasta etc. so would you recommend training 5 days a week different muscle groups?

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
You are clearly ectomorphic, or in commonly known terms, a hard gainer. Generally accepted training methodology for ectomorphs calls for low rep, (4-6) heavy sets (80% of 1 RM ) with long rest between sets (2-5 minutes.) Eat double the amount you are eating now with protein levels equal in grams per to your desired weight in pounds. Do no aerobic training what-so-ever. Your metabolic rate is roughly double that of a non-ectomorphic person so it's all about getting your daily calories up...I would say to close to 4000 calories per day.
Wow, now that post is full of assumptions and bro-science. Holy crap.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
I have a weight gainer (sci-mx mass) so 618 calories per serving (46g protein + 100g carbs) usually with a full pint of full fat milk, 50g oats and 2tbl spoons olive oil so 1200 calories per shake and goes down well!! I've also started to take creatine monohydrate on the loading phase just now. Along with a high protein diet also chicken,beef,rice, pasta etc. so would you recommend training 5 days a week different muscle groups?
Here is a split program I found some time ago that came in handy for me.

Training 4 Days Per Week
Option One
Day 1: Back, hamstrings, traps
Day 2: Chest, triceps, abs
Day 3: Quads, calves
Day 4: Shoulders, biceps, forearms

Option Two
Day 1: Quads, hamstrings
Day 2: Back, forearms, abs
Day 3: Chest, shoulders, traps
Day 4: Triceps, biceps, calves

Training 5 Days Per Week
Option One
Day 1: Back, traps
Day 2: Chest, biceps, forearms
Day 3: Quads, abs
Day 4: Shoulders, triceps
Day 5: Hamstrings, calves

Option Two
Day 1: Quads, hamstrings, calves
Day 2: Back, traps
Day 3: Chest, abs
Day 4: Shoulders
Day 5: Triceps, biceps, forearms

Training 6 Days Per Week
Day 1: Back, forearms
Day 2: Chest, abs
Day 3: Quads
Day 4: Shoulders, traps
Day 5: Hamstrings, calves
Day 6: Triceps, biceps

P

purebred

This thread just became 10x more complex than it needs to be.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This thread just became 10x more complex than it needs to be.
Good god, no kidding.

At 130-140# and college age, there's no clean or dirty bulk. Stop reading forums, eat everything & train your ass off. Come back in 2-3 years or when you weigh 210 and we'll reassess.