Calories on off days

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"  232 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.34%

Calories on off days

I'm supossed to be eating around 36-3700 calories a day to gain the weight I'm looking for.

Having said that, would I eat that much the day after a workout (I might do cardio/ might not)

Thanks!!

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.95%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I don't know how much you're trying to gain or what your activity level is. When I first made my push past 200, I ate like that every day for the first bit until I had results then I tailored my caloric intake to be based around my activity level. I wouldn't drastically reduce calories on off days though. See how your body responds. I lifted yesterday and am squatting tomorrow so I'm keeping my calories up.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.42%

If you lower your cals on off days then you have to proportionally increase them on workout days. It does help to keep fat gain down as long as you don't drop cals too much. Basically remove the extra cals you'd normally burn from your workout.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"  232 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.34%

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    I don't know how much you're trying to gain or what your activity level is. When I first made my push past 200, I ate like that every day for the first bit until I had results then I tailored my caloric intake to be based around my activity level. I wouldn't drastically reduce calories on off days though. See how your body responds. I lifted yesterday and am squatting tomorrow so I'm keeping my calories up.
    well when i first wake up, i am about 205lbs.... I want to get to about 215 then cut about 5-10 lbs this spring.

And i'm doing SL 5x5 program/ with cardio 3-4 timesa week (12-30 min each cardio session)
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.67%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I would say fluctuate on a daily basis. i.e. eat about 500+cal on your working out days, and be at a deficit of 500 on your off days.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.63%

Simplest thing to do,i do it is just to drop post meal and mybe drop some or add to pre meal,my post is around 500cals so i just drop that and limit fruit and adjust other meals depending on work being done that/those days.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.67%

Quote Originally Posted by 67nova View Post
    Simplest thing to do,i do it is just to drop post meal and mybe drop some or add to pre meal,my post is around 500cals so i just drop that and limit fruit and adjust other meals depending on work being done that/those days.
    I would not, under any circumstances, drop a post workout meal... that's when most of the nutrients will come from in regards to adding to your lean body mass and therefore build muscles. Not to mention it's when your body is the least likely to add any fat.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.44%

Quote Originally Posted by bla55

I would not, under any circumstances, drop a post workout meal... that's when most of the nutrients will come from in regards to adding to your lean body mass and therefore build muscles. Not to mention it's when your body is the least likely to add any fat.
    He means not to have a post workout meal on non workout days
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.59%

Well this thread certainly leaves multiple doors open for disagreements given various schools of thought being applied to a general question but here is my take:

If you are intentionally adding calories pre-workout or are using a pre-workout supp loaded with calories, only drop those on non-training days.

Leave your general food intake alone. Recovery days cause the growth your work stimulated and you need to feed that growth.

Randomly downing some carbs on an off day over and above doesn't make sense though, you aren't fueling a training session above your normal intake.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.67%

Quote Originally Posted by machorox123 View Post
    He means not to have a post workout meal on non workout days
    Ok, confused on someone is going to have a "post workout meal" on a "non workout day".
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.44%

Quote Originally Posted by bla55

Ok, confused on someone is going to have a "post workout meal" on a "non workout day".
    Yea thats pretty impossible
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  211 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.95%

I keep my calories the same throughout.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.16%

I keep my calories the same. Once you find that diet sweet spot for your cals I dont think youll need to change it. Mine is 3500 training day and off day. Works like a charm to put on weight.
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.06%

Stay consistent and eat as much as you can everyday...its the commitment to the caloric number over time that yields the results.... I usually have a daily "goal weight" , and will not go to bed until I step on the scale and it says the right number, it alows you to be consistnet by having daily feedback on your diet.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"  232 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.34%

Okay awesome man. I appreciate that. I'll definitely have to use this advice!
    and thanks for replying on a few others. I appreciate it brotherin
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.5%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post
    Well this thread certainly leaves multiple doors open for disagreements given various schools of thought being applied to a general question but here is my take:

If you are intentionally adding calories pre-workout or are using a pre-workout supp loaded with calories, only drop those on non-training days.

Leave your general food intake alone. Recovery days cause the growth your work stimulated and you need to feed that growth.

Randomly downing some carbs on an off day over and above doesn't make sense though, you aren't fueling a training session above your normal intake.
    I agree. I keep my carb levels only to that in which my body needs them for exercise and a small amount extra for my brain. So I drop my carb imtake on off days but I do leave my overall calorie intake in excess to fuel recovery and growth.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  17. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.5%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by GeraldNY181 View Post
    Stay consistent and eat as much as you can everyday...its the commitment to the caloric number over time that yields the results.... I usually have a daily "goal weight" , and will not go to bed until I step on the scale and it says the right number, it alows you to be consistnet by having daily feedback on your diet.
    Weighing daily isn't the best idea, considering normal weight fluctuations, water retention, bulk of last meal eaten and other factors play a role in the end of day scale weight.
  18. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.39%

Re: Calories on off days

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Weighing daily isn't the best idea .
    I've been known to weigh myself hourly...lol
  19. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.5%

Quote Originally Posted by vidapreta View Post
    I've been known to weigh myself hourly...lol
    Weighing that often is definitely not a good indicator of mass being put on or lost, as I mentioned before. Too many variables play a factor is weight at any given time of the day. The best way is early morning before any water or fluid ingestion, but even then weight can vary.
  20. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.58%

I would say it depends at what level your muscle base is at. If your a beginner or intermediate I would keep calories the same every day as you can gain more muscle than someone who is at an advanced level and close to their natural limit in muscle, plus you grow when you rest.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Push-ups on off days ??
    By Stinger124 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-04-2008, 11:57 PM
  2. Push-ups on off days ??
    By Stinger124 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-26-2006, 02:56 AM
  3. BCAA Dosage on Off Days..
    By serene00 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-05-2006, 02:16 AM
  4. Carbing Up and Dosing up on Off Days???
    By milwood in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 09:44 PM