Away with whey

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74%

Away with whey

I'm sure most of you know this

And it's MORE than simple, but why spend 30+ dollars on protein at your local nutritional store when you can go to the dollar general store and get the same if not better results
    Granted body fat comes into effect with some people on what they consume
    But, if your looking for a good post workout protein shake that won't break your wallet
    Here is all you need

Oats:
    Go buy yourself some quick oats
    Half a cup of whole grain oats = 5g of protein

Peanut butter:
    Yes, fatty, but high In protein. 2 tablespoons = 7g of protein

Last but not least,
    Milk:
    I prefer to use 2% milk, which is 8g of protein per cup
    Use 2 cups and that's 16g of protein and a good source of well needed calcium after a workout.

Stick it all In a blender and you've done it
    A protein shake that's easy on the wallet that weighs In at 28g of total protein
    The peanut butter is a natural sweetener that really makes this drink taste very well considering other shakes and post workouts

For added potassium and flavor
    You can also add a banana that makes it somewhat sweeter and tastes very good

Hey, the economy is DOWN, and it's a method that you can see tremendous results In gaining bulk, and on financial points as well

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.02%

28 grams of protein is no where near enough, IMO, I'd be curious to see your routine/numbers, also you'll never get people to stop using whey, a post workout needs fast dissolving proteins, whey is perfect for this, while milk has whey(20%) compared to the 80% of casein and the slow peanut butter and incomplete protein of the oats, which, to my knowledge, lacks 2 of the essential amino acids, then you'll understand why shelling out 30 bucks is necessary
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

or you can take all that and then add a scoop of protein as a personalized gainer with over 50g protein. thats what i do on the rare occasions when i actually use protein powder
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.02%

Yes but all of that still being in there is not beneficial, you're better off with orange juice, fruits, whey protein, creatine
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  203 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.89%

Quote Originally Posted by dmmcclair
    Yes but all of that still being in there is not beneficial, you're better off with orange juice, fruits, whey protein, creatine
    Agree...I see what your saying about saving some money, but I never spend 30 bucks on whey...the whey I buy is 10-12 servings 30 g per serving for 10 dollars...I don't give in to that expensive b.s. with that 30 dollars you think you have to spend I spend the remaining 20 on whole foods...as it's already been stated the oats,pb, and milk is to slow to digest after an intense workout...whey, oj, and some honey does the trick...I like your idea because I use that for a snack between meals, but if you see results from that, then by all means keep doing it
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.02%

I actually do the half gomad diet plus a metric f*** ton of food and it works lol
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.78%

Milk is awesome. I sometimes actually use it to control my bulk. Once your maintenance is figured out, just add a few glasses of milk to it, and bam, bulk. One quart of milk is 600 calories, and you can get that by just drinking a glass between meals. I do that and add an extra meal to workout days and bulk quite nicely.

I prefer to keep things simple, not go crazy planning things out and interfering with the other things and goals in my life. I do also use whey in the morning as my schedule is very hectic and I don't have a lot of time to eat an early meal. A shake and a banana and I am out the door to work post workout.
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.14%

If you are eating every few hours and your meals consist of your daily macros broken down in to each one, you will constantly have amino acids circulating anyways, negating a need for pre, peri and post workout supplementation altogether.

Whey has it's place though; when you can't get a meal down, have calorie restrictions but need a certain level of protein et cetera. Otherwise, food is the basis for supplements to begin with.

And just for fun, "Milk is for babies!"... 10 internet points for whoever can identify the quote.

* FTR, I drink milk. And whey for calorie restricted protein needs. But not as a general practice when I can just eat.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  203 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.89%

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy
    If you are eating every few hours and your meals consist of your daily macros broken down in to each one, you will constantly have amino acids circulating anyways, negating a need for pre, peri and post workout supplementation altogether.

Whey has it's place though; when you can't get a meal down, have calorie restrictions but need a certain level of protein et cetera. Otherwise, food is the basis for supplements to begin with.

And just for fun, "Milk is for babies!"... 10 internet points for whoever can identify the quote.

* FTR, I drink milk. And whey for calorie restricted protein needs. But not as a general practice when I can just eat.

Arnold said milk is for babies I'm pretty sure...and agreed about the meals
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.14%

Quote Originally Posted by blaykeryan View Post
    Arnold said milk is for babies I'm pretty sure...and agreed about the meals
    You win.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  203 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.89%

I think he also said beer is for men ha...I love milk especially during the winter when I'm bulking...I really don't think some people realize how important food is...they just assume supplements will get you where you want to be...I finished a superdrol cycle several months ago and since my bulk I look like I'm still on....I haven't touched supplements except whey for months...
  12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.14%

Quote Originally Posted by blaykeryan View Post
    I think he also said beer is for men ha...I love milk especially during the winter when I'm bulking...I really don't think some people realize how important food is...they just assume supplements will get you where you want to be...I finished a superdrol cycle several months ago and since my bulk I look like I'm still on....I haven't touched supplements except whey for months...
    Yeah, well, he was from a germanic culture after all.

I think people buy too much in to the hype around supplements without analyzing where the supps are derived from to begin with. Every advertisement written up promoting a bulk powder can be applied to a meal made up of whole foods for example. And whole foods don't need to advertise added vitamins and nutrients because they weren't processed out to begin with.

Understanding supplements for what they are allows a successful and effective supplement protocol. There is no legitimate need for protein powder outside of reaching macros on a calorie restriction for example. Or convenience where a meal or snack isn't possible.

Some supps have their useful place though, imo. Creatine is on my list. Eating the required amount of beef every day to get my 5 grams just isn't feasable so I supplement my diet. I'm not a huge fan of pro-hormones or steroids personally but they absolutely increase protein synthesis (if the necessary fuel is provided). That said, unless your diet and routine are absolutely dialed in, you are short changing yourself on a cycle and wont really see gains over and above what a dialed in diet and routine would give. Taken in an appropriate scenario though, they certainly are short cuts to hyooge.
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.14%

Furthermore, it's interesting how people demonize processed and refined foods and then get all googly eyed for supplements which are.... processed and refined foods. They just happen to have a positive connotation given the marketing.
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.15%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Half the people on here probably do not practice what they preach
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.76%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Dollar per gram of protein, I actually think whey is less expensive than milk.

28 grams of protein is no where near enough, IMO, I'd be curious to see your routine/numbers, also you'll never get people to stop using whey, a post workout needs fast dissolving proteins, whey is perfect for this, while milk has whey(20%) compared to the 80% of casein and the slow peanut butter and incomplete protein of the oats, which, to my knowledge, lacks 2 of the essential amino acids, then you'll understand why shelling out 30 bucks is necessary
    Actually, there isn't much research to show that you need more than 20 grams of whey post workout. The rate of protein synthesis appears to top out at 20 g in young men...If you are elderly, then 40 grams is superior to 20.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22313809

Also, given the absorption rate of whey protein and then the typical whole food meal 1-2 hours later, a whey/casien mix appears to be superior to whey alone for maintaining the anabolic response:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22569072

Finally, what do numbers and routine have to do with the validity of his suggestion??

I think people buy too much in to the hype around supplements without analyzing where the supps are derived from to begin with. Every advertisement written up promoting a bulk powder can be applied to a meal made up of whole foods for example. And whole foods don't need to advertise added vitamins and nutrients because they weren't processed out to begin with.

Understanding supplements for what they are allows a successful and effective supplement protocol. There is no legitimate need for protein powder outside of reaching macros on a calorie restriction for example. Or convenience where a meal or snack isn't possible.
    Good post, I agree ^^^
  16. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.88%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    Wow.
    I have to agree with you here. I definitaly don't follow 100% of the stuff I say. Well cept quality food, eat what YOU like, and train hard.
    RecoverBro ELITE
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  203 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.89%

Texas I agree about the over exaggerated hype of supplements...most of it is just advertizment, yes I agree some are beneficial with proper diet..creatine being very effective ...as for cycles go point on, I see too many guys eating whatever they want and wonder why they aren't seeing gains.... I don't think the op reads this thread anymore ha
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  203 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.89%

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech
    People on this thread, or just on AM in general?
  19. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.15%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by blaykeryan

People on this thread, or just on AM in general?
    Mostly in general
    www.lgsciences.com
  20. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.02%

@zir red, the numbers and routines comment had to do with whether he is experiencing the success and results he is looking for to qualify him to make this claim, FTR not being accusatory or making a fighting claim
  21. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.68%

Whey is good stuff!
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com
  22. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.61%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Re: Away with whey

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    Admittedly, I don't practice what I preach.
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  23. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.79%

I have always used whey post workout...until the last month. I just recently finished running a log for Prosupps using their Karbolic. I ONLY used Karbolic post workout and then ate a whole food meal within 20 mins of the carbs. We've been doing a 5x5 routine and my recovery and stength gains have been excellent!! I have been lifting for 4-5 yrs. Not saying I know everything about nutrition, as we all continue to learn, but I will say I am having just as much luck taking in a carb blend and whole meal as I was using whey post workout
  24. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.02%

Hmm may have to try that I like the idea of just whole food right now I'm using a quick shake and then whole food just not really hungry immediately after a hard workout.
  25. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.15%

Quote Originally Posted by dmmcclair
    Hmm may have to try that I like the idea of just whole food right now I'm using a quick shake and then whole food just not really hungry immediately after a hard workout.
    Whole food is a better choice and I stopped using powders for a long time till recently. Now I keep some pro in my work truck for a quick shake when I'm on a time crunch
    www.lgsciences.com
  26. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.02%

Yeah I wait tables so eating during the rush is difficult which is why I use protein shakes
  27. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.9%

Arnold never said milk is for babies.... If you ever read his auto biography then you would know that the first bulking diet in it requires you to drink 11 glasses of milk a day through a six meal regimen
  28. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.15%

Quote Originally Posted by binkley23
    Arnold never said milk is for babies.... If you ever read his auto biography then you would know that the first bulking diet in it requires you to drink 11 glasses of milk a day through a six meal regimen
    Maybe for his bulk diet but def not for everybody
    www.lgsciences.com
  29. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.65%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by binkley23 View Post
    If you ever watched pumping iron (at least I believe that was where the quote is from) he says that milk is for babies and that when you're a man you drink beer.
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  30. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.15%

That quote is used in dang near every thread with milk mentioned in it
    www.lgsciences.com
  31. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.65%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post

If you ever watched pumping iron (at least I believe that was where the quote is from) he says that milk is for babies and that when you're a man you drink beer.
    Yep, you can google it...

Milk tears me up. I can take it in moderation. Milk protein isolate if I take a few lactose tabs prior.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  32. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  203 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.89%

Quote Originally Posted by binkley23
    Really? Watch pumping iron then rethink what you just said
  33. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.9%

He was joking in the movie. It's on record with him saying that plus through the whole mid 70s he was stoned all the time you can hear him laugh... Not saying its for everyone but milk is a very decent way to bulk
  34. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.65%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by binkley23 View Post
    He was joking in the movie. It's on record with him saying that plus through the whole mid 70s he was stoned all the time you can hear him laugh... Not saying its for everyone but milk is a very decent way to bulk
    My point was not whether he meant it as a joke or not. You said that "Arnold never said milk was for babies" and I merely pointed out that he did say it in pumping iron.
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  35. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.14%

Blakeryan gets to keep his internet points.
  36. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.97%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by dmmcclair View Post
    Your body does not need fast disolving proteins post workout.
  37. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.72%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

You can certainly get by with what the original poster said, but hey..I like whey blends for the convenience and I can afford them at the moment. They work. Milk and whole foods certainly work (which I also use). Use what works for you and your lifestyle.

And Arnold liked to joke around with BBing tips to mess with people's minds. He is wrong about beer though. Hard liquor is for real men. If you're going to imbibe alcohol...get it done.
  38. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.58%

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter View Post
    I'm sure most of you know this

And it's MORE than simple, but why spend 30+ dollars on protein at your local nutritional store when you can go to the dollar general store and get the same if not better results
    Granted body fat comes into effect with some people on what they consume
    But, if your looking for a good post workout protein shake that won't break your wallet
    Here is all you need

Oats:
    Go buy yourself some quick oats
    Half a cup of whole grain oats = 5g of protein

Peanut butter:
    Yes, fatty, but high In protein. 2 tablespoons = 7g of protein

Last but not least,
    Milk:
    I prefer to use 2% milk, which is 8g of protein per cup
    Use 2 cups and that's 16g of protein and a good source of well needed calcium after a workout.

Stick it all In a blender and you've done it
    A protein shake that's easy on the wallet that weighs In at 28g of total protein
    The peanut butter is a natural sweetener that really makes this drink taste very well considering other shakes and post workouts

For added potassium and flavor
    You can also add a banana that makes it somewhat sweeter and tastes very good

Hey, the economy is DOWN, and it's a method that you can see tremendous results In gaining bulk, and on financial points as well
    One word - Costco

$45, 72 servings, 27g protein per serving, only 2.5g fat and 3g carbs. Full amino acid complex inluding BCAA's, unlike peanut butter & oats.

Granted, I mix my protein with oats all the time.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Taking creatine with whey protein...?
    By The Anarchist in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-09-2010, 10:47 PM
  2. Problems with whey
    By hman85 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-14-2007, 11:16 PM
  3. Will superdrol go away with the ban?
    By Extreme1 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-27-2004, 03:34 PM
  4. Cooking with whey