help me reach my goal of gaining weight

S

Slim_Biff

Awards
hey guys, my first post here. im 6.2 at 165 lbs, my goal is 180 lbs. i don't want to take weight gainers, im doing it with real food.

1:i eat a lot of pastas and bread. this bad in anyway for gaining weight and muscle?
2:i work a labor intense job, a lot of cardio, walking, lifting etc. Ive been told to intake over 5000 cal to make up for it. that's a lot to eat.
3:would a protein shake or recovery drink help.
4:how do i know how much eggs, bread, milk..etc to eat.

im going to have 90 days off work so i want to use that time to get weight and muscle but i just dont think what i normaly eat will help with the abuse ill be giving my body. dont want to be 140 at the end of 90 days :)

thanks in advance.

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
Ally out need to do is eat a calorie surplus..you need to find out your maintenance ,then add 200 calories for a week, then if you aren't gaining weight keep upping the cals by 200 each week until you start gaining..there are plenty calculators online to find your maintenance ...
Pasta is great for bulking...IMO I wouldn't eat bread all day, but whole grain bread is ok in moderation...look into sweet potatoes, brown or white rice, baked potatoes, oats is great to have with breakfast....as far as eggs go, depends on your goals...just see what works for you..2 eggs and 4 whites works great for me..I'm 5"10 204 pds...shakes are great to have between meals especially blended with oats and frozen fruit..and of course post workout..try some creatine monohydrate for recovery, it's cheap...I've gained a lot of quality size off that alone...don't go over board on the shakes though..also look into almonds, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese..lean beef, cod, turkey, steak, chicken, salmon, get creative with your diet because if you get board with it chances are you won't stick with it...another thing lift heavy, eat, sleep, eat, eat and eat..

S

Slim_Biff

Awards
i got this scale that reads your body fat, BMI and calorie intake for a set goal. it says i have 16% body fat, 20.6 BMI and my goal to 185 lbs is to intake 3305 cal for 24 weeks.

on the lifting part, do less reps and more weight? my friend has smaller arms and he can do alot of reps and sets but me with my long arms seems like im trying to push the weight out to the moon....should i stay away from cardio workouts?

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
Sorry my last post I misspelled words, word check on my phone sucks lol...oh ok that's even better..yep start at that for maintenance then if you gain weight then stay at 3,300 calories until you stop growing, then add 200 more each week until you start growing again.hope that makes sense...as for the reps yes heavier weight/ lower reps is great for size and strength...5-7 reps...make sure to focus on the big 3 lifts...I would suggest doing the strength training for 4-5 weeks, then deloading for a week and either switching up your routine or train with more volume and intensity for a few weeks...what's your training routine like? IMO p.h.a.t created by layne Norton is the best training routine I've ever done, and I've been lifting for 7 years...if you get time check it out, it emphasis strength/ mass building the beginning of the week then towards the end of the week it emphasizes on hypertrophy...

S

Slim_Biff

Awards
makes sense thanks. i was thinking of p90x. i bought the dvds long time ago. i tried it for a week and saw that i was getting a bit defined but with my work i just dont have the energy, now that im taking 90 days off i think ill try it again. but ill look into layne norton.

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
So is your goal to bulk up and gain some mass? P90x is mainly for endurance/intensity...even with the cals you're going to be eating, you won't gain much weight because you will burn a lot with p90x...
You need to lift weights and limit cardio if you want to gain quality mass/ weight along with quality food...

S

Slim_Biff

Awards
yes sir just mass and weight. theres like 20 dvds from p90x, 1 for just abs, 1 for just chest and so on. plus right now i only have 10 lb and 25 lb dumbbells and pull up bar. when i did the chest workout on p90x with the 10lb weights i really felt it on my chest and biceps. i skip the cardio parts and just to the weight parts.

and the gym is out of the question, nothing but buff guys that are rude and always starring me down.

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
I know what you mean, I hated going to the gym when I first started..I weighed 155 pds, skinny as Shi*... but you can't let that stop you from reaching your goals, because eventually you will be one of those buff guys...who cares what others think man, just my two cents

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
and the gym is out of the question, nothing but buff guys that are rude and always starring me down.
This is something that you will need to get over. You should NOT avoid cardio while bulking-you just need to accommodate it with increase intake.
You DO, however, need to move some weight. P90x is great for conditioning, not so much for "pure mass".

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Ally out need to do is eat a calorie surplus..you need to find out your maintenance ,then add 200 calories for a week, then if you aren't gaining weight keep upping the cals by 200 each week until you start gaining..there are plenty calculators online to find your maintenance ...
Pasta is great for bulking...IMO I wouldn't eat bread all day, but whole grain bread is ok in moderation...look into sweet potatoes, brown or white rice, baked potatoes, oats is great to have with breakfast....as far as eggs go, depends on your goals...just see what works for you..2 eggs and 4 whites works great for me..I'm 5"10 204 pds...shakes are great to have between meals especially blended with oats and frozen fruit..and of course post workout..try some creatine monohydrate for recovery, it's cheap...I've gained a lot of quality size off that alone...don't go over board on the shakes though..also look into almonds, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese..lean beef, cod, turkey, steak, chicken, salmon, get creative with your diet because if you get board with it chances are you won't stick with it...another thing lift heavy, eat, sleep, eat, eat and eat..
Ehh. Creatine aint anabolic. Its the primary molecule involved in the phosphocreatine system but doesn't help you put on muscle. Although it may make you retain water hence the uppage in scale weight.

To the OP: You have a scale that reads your bodyfat? I doubt this is very accurate. BodPod is the way i'd go; even calipers without a skilled person using the same equation are innacurate. So be mindful.

Also, what are your goals in the gym? Strength? Hypertrophy? Dependant on your goals different approaches must be made, typically reps under 5 (hence wendlers 5/3/1) are optimal for strength gains while reps of 6-12ish are optimal for hypertrophy; in a simplified version at least. But its best that you follow a tried and true program given that you do not have a lot of knowlege in this area, why waste time on your own workouts when you do not know what you are doing?

I never avoid cardio, especially HIIT which can actually help you put on more muscle (ZiR has posted quite a lot of the benefits of HIIT and weight training) but suffice to say that it helps in lipolysis (the use of fat as fuel) and the release of GH. Don't drop cardio if you enjoy it, just eat more to compensate .

If the gy is "out of the question", I hope you have more equipment that just a p90x; things such as a bench, rack, stability balls, dipping station, pull up station, a variety of weights, bars, perhaps even a incline bench with detachable rack for back extensions, and a floor mat.

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
Jiigz I disagree about the creatine..it increases atp power in the muscle resulting in an increase in endurance and shorter recovery time which results in a heavier workload which produces muscle mass...well I guess technically creatine increases atp production, and the atp increase aids in muscle building...that's not all I cycle on and off of;) I was just stating IMO judging on the op experience and goals that creatine could be beneficial
You are right that p90x will not build mass...good ol barbell, dumbbells, food, and sleep...

Op I really hope you start hitting the gym, once you start to see results you will not want to stop...a lot of those "buff" experienced guys can help you and lead you in the right direction hands on...good luck

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Jiigz I disagree about the creatine..it increases atp power in the muscle resulting in an increase in endurance and shorter recovery time which results in a heavier workload which produces muscle mass...well I guess technically creatine increases atp production, and the atp increase aids in muscle building...that's not all I cycle on and off of;) I was just stating IMO judging on the op experience and goals that creatine could be beneficial
You are right that p90x will not build mass...good ol barbell, dumbbells, food, and sleep...

Op I really hope you start hitting the gym, once you start to see results you will not want to stop...a lot of those "buff" experienced guys can help you and lead you in the right direction hands on...good luck
Yeah but creatine in itself is not anabolic. Thats like saying caffiene is anabolic because 1) its a stimulant which can help push you harder in the gym and 2) it antagonises with adenosine and thus allows increased effects of acetylcholine etc. etc. which can all subsequently lead to increased muscle mass or strength gains; but does that make caffeine anabolic? No.
I get what you mean about it aiding in muscle mass building through the aforementioned pathways, but creatine in the absence of weight training will not lead to muscle gains, which is the way your post could have been interpretted.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i got this scale that reads your body fat, BMI and calorie intake for a set goal. it says i have 16% body fat, 20.6 BMI and my goal to 185 lbs is to intake 3305 cal for 24 weeks.

on the lifting part, do less reps and more weight? my friend has smaller arms and he can do alot of reps and sets but me with my long arms seems like im trying to push the weight out to the moon....should i stay away from cardio workouts?
No, cardio is good...

This is something that you will need to get over. You should NOT avoid cardio while bulking-you just need to accommodate it with increase intake.
You DO, however, need to move some weight. P90x is great for conditioning, not so much for "pure mass".
Definitely and also like recommended so some HIIT for your cardio. It helps increase work load and recovery.

- Valdez

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah but creatine in itself is not anabolic. Thats like saying caffiene is anabolic because 1) its a stimulant which can help push you harder in the gym and 2) it antagonises with adenosine and thus allows increased effects of acetylcholine etc. etc. which can all subsequently lead to increased muscle mass or strength gains; but does that make caffeine anabolic? No.
I get what you mean about it aiding in muscle mass building through the aforementioned pathways, but creatine in the absence of weight training will not lead to muscle gains, which is the way your post could have been interpretted.
I'll have to try and find it but I read a study saying DHT is increased by creatine.

- Valdez

rockme

rockme

Awards
I'll have to try and find it but I read a study saying DHT is increased by creatine.

- Valdez
I remember reading something like this as well. I scoffed at it at first, but you never know

S

Slim_Biff

Awards
some of the stuff you guys are saying i dont understand, you sound like mad men in chemistry class, im going to have to google most of it. its hard to focus at the gym with the peps that are there, and trust me no one will help me, maybe a trainer but he will ask me to sign up for a class. you buff guys are cool but these guys at this gym...are not. ill just have to buy all the weights and equipment i need. thanks for all the help guys.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
some of the stuff you guys are saying i dont understand, you sound like mad men in chemistry class, im going to have to google most of it. its hard to focus at the gym with the peps that are there, and trust me no one will help me, maybe a trainer but he will ask me to sign up for a class. you buff guys are cool but these guys at this gym...are not. ill just have to buy all the weights and equipment i need. thanks for all the help guys.
What is confusing bro? We can break this **** down for ya... I hate to say it but to start I would go to a gym. Lifting at home to do it right will be costly!!!

- Valdez

S

Slim_Biff

Awards
My ultimate goal is to be a firefighter and I know you have to be in good shape. I will go to the gym, maybe another one where there's some nice people.
I don't understand what is HIIT, should I take creatine, reps, sets, what machines I should use, there's 2 people on here saying different things. I got the calorie part, I just think a protien shake will help and if you think so which one should I take, I see some with 1600 calories and 50g protein, o think that's to much, just want a boost if you know what I mean. Break it down for me. You guys got good bodys and I trust your judgment

S

Slim_Biff

Awards
say i woke up at 6am how should i eat, what should i eat, what should i workout and how should i workout. i am going to be dedicated to this for the next 4 months, no work no school. i am so motivated to gain weight and muscle, i need help on a regiment to follow. im new to this. i did workout with some guy years ago, but they had different opinions on how to gain muscle.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
OP:
I hate to be harsh here, but you have two things to overcome before you have any chance of reaching your goals:laziness and insecurity.
Your laziness bleeds through in basically asking AM to both spoon feed you a program and wipe your a$s when you are done. Better to research some programs YOURSELF and come to us seeking advice (start w/ Starting Strength or a 5x5). Otherwise, you will be receiving OTHER PEOPLE's programs that work for THEM.
Your insecurity is seen in your aversion to the gym. Yes, there are big guys there, but there will always be bigger guys than you in life. Get used to it, don't let that block you from your goals.
Gaining is fairly easy:
1) figure out your maintenance and eat around 300 kCal above that/day
2) hit the gym--not your basement
3) if you want to become a firefighter, don't neglect cardio, especially High Interval Intensity Training (HIIT--look it up yourself)
4) stop worrying about the ancillary stuff like creatine and whether or not the big guy at the squat rack is giving you cross looks.

That's it, pretty simple.
Teacher rant over.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
For the diet aspect, id just tell you to eat 1-1.5 grams of protein for every pound you weigh. Eat .45 to .5 grams of fat for every pound you weigh. And fill the rest of your calorie alotment for the day with carbs. For example: let's just say my maintenance 1000 calories for convenience sake and I weight 100 pounds. I would eat 100-150 g of protein (4 calories/gram), 45-50 grams of fat (9 calories/gram) per day, and that would leave me with roughly 40-50 grams of carbs (4 calories/gram) per day. is Its really pretty simple.

I have personally gotten hypertrophic response in my muscles and gains in strength from training both in the 6-12 range and the 15-20 range for some exercises when all I had were adjustable dumbells at home. But id suggest going to the gym (its much easier to get a good workout in with all the equipment provided at a good gym), if you don't feel comfortable at the gym with "buff guys that look at you funny" (which is most likely your insecurity with yourself, but it's possible) then find a different gym. Try a few out and see what one you like the most. Your first step is going to be putting yourself out there for help/advice so your on the right track by coming here. But, when and if you go to one of the gyms talk to one of the guys that looks like they know what they're doing. Most of the time they'll try and help you out briefly or at least say they'll talk to you once they finish their set/exercise/session. Pick their brain a little bit, the more you learn the easier and faster your results will come as long as your applying your new knowledge and busting your a*s in the weight room.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
OP:
I hate to be harsh here, but you have two things to overcome before you have any chance of reaching your goals:laziness and insecurity.
Your laziness bleeds through in basically asking AM to both spoon feed you a program and wipe your a$s when you are done. Better to research some programs YOURSELF and come to us seeking advice (start w/ Starting Strength or a 5x5). Otherwise, you will be receiving OTHER PEOPLE's programs that work for THEM.
Your insecurity is seen in your aversion to the gym. Yes, there are big guys there, but there will always be bigger guys than you in life. Get used to it, don't let that block you from your goals.
Gaining is fairly easy:
1) figure out your maintenance and eat around 300 kCal above that/day
2) hit the gym--not your basement
3) if you want to become a firefighter, don't neglect cardio, especially High Interval Intensity Training (HIIT--look it up yourself)
4) stop worrying about the ancillary stuff like creatine and whether or not the big guy at the squat rack is giving you cross looks.

That's it, pretty simple.
Teacher rant over.
Word. Many of us don't have the time to write out an adequete program that will cater for your individual needs. These things take time (assessing posture to identify weaknesses/ muscular imbalances, programs that cater for your level of exercise knowledge + motor programming etc.) these things need to be assessed by people who have the time, without this, any programs we like are NOT for your benefit (although they might help you reach your goals) but rather are programs that work for us.

People often come up to me and ask if I can write them a food plan + workout program and the answer is always no unless you are willing to put in the time to help me out as much as possible, i.e. calculating current daily intake to meet your TDEE, list of foods you can eat, foods you avoid (dislikes, allergies etc.), etc. etc. nutrition is highly variable and what works for me might not work for you. Working out + proper nutrition is largely trial and error. You're only going to be dedicated for the next 4 months? This is a life long pursuit.

You write up a plan and we'll critique it. That way you learn and were not just spoonfeeding you.

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
I'm not joking when I say this, but try planet fitness if there is one close to where you live....honestly I can't stand planet fitness because it's " judgment free zone", ha but they kick out lifters who groan and lift, slam heavy as$ weight...it would be good for you, there's hardly ever any bigger guys there

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My ultimate goal is to be a firefighter and I know you have to be in good shape. I will go to the gym, maybe another one where there's some nice people.
I don't understand what is HIIT, should I take creatine, reps, sets, what machines I should use, there's 2 people on here saying different things. I got the calorie part, I just think a protien shake will help and if you think so which one should I take, I see some with 1600 calories and 50g protein, o think that's to much, just want a boost if you know what I mean. Break it down for me. You guys got good bodys and I trust your judgment
say i woke up at 6am how should i eat, what should i eat, what should i workout and how should i workout. i am going to be dedicated to this for the next 4 months, no work no school. i am so motivated to gain weight and muscle, i need help on a regiment to follow. im new to this. i did workout with some guy years ago, but they had different opinions on how to gain muscle.
I'm a firefighter I know the specific demands paved on the body. I'll post more when I have some more time.

Start hitting google up for now fit muscle building fuels. You need more than 40-50 g carbs.

I'll be back later...

- Valdez

pampers938

pampers938

Awards
I'm a firefighter as well as I was once a small man. I went from 125lb in 2001( I joined in August of 2001 as a volunteer and became career in 2006) to 190lbs. It took blood sweat and gets to get here, stuff that you can't do at home. The benefits of gym training for me were great, I actually found it interesting how the human boy can change, and they may not seem nice or friendly but there might be that one person that will reach out. Don't worry about what people think bro!!! Good luck and keep your head there isn't a better feeling then putting on your gear and going where people fear.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm a firefighter I know the specific demands paved on the body. I'll post more when I have some more time.

Start hitting google up for now fit muscle building fuels. You need more than 40-50 g carbs.

I'll be back later...

- Valdez
Lol I hope u weren't talking about my post. If u were please read the part where I made up a hypothetical weight and broke down the macros based on that weight. I obviously want telling him to only eat 40-50 g of carbs.

Brandon0212

Brandon0212

Awards
If you have a smart phone I would recommend downloading the MyFitnessPal App. It has pretty much every food and brand of food. It helps me out a lot with keeping count of calories, grams of fat, protein and carbs as well.