1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  146 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.17%

Bulking Help

Hey AMs,

I'm 20, 5'9..Started training heavy about 7 weeks ago for the first time since HS. Weighed about ~138, today I'm at around 146. Bf was at around 14.4 last time I got it tested a week or two.

I'm trying to get up in the 170s but just like everyone else keep BF low, develop some abs, etc..

My problem mostly comes with my diet. I've always had pretty bad eating habits..generally eat way too much fried food, way way way too much chocolate, and really...0 vegetables.

I'm open to eating things I generally don't eat. Over the last few weeks I've eaten rice for really the first time in my life and so on.

A dilemma for the next few months is the fact that I transfered Universities and was made to pay for a meal plan. Usually I get the same ol' reply to go buy my own food and cook it etc, I'd love to but thats just not an option for the most part right now.

They don't have too much nutritional info that they give, but in general they have a widespread amount of foods like most university commons..

So its pretty childish but can someone give me a drawn out meal plan I could eat daily (I'm not an idiot so I can vary it myself so its not the same exact thing, but I don't know where to start)

In general they have veggies, burgers, pizza, pasta, wraps/sandwhiches every day and the rest varies, some days chicken some days fish, etc..

Im guessing a good macro would be 40 40 20 but if someone has a better idea please let me know. So in general, what could constitute a 3k calorie diet or so to meet that macro. I do drink a whey shake every day and try to eat a protein bar etc but some days I don't get the 150-200g protein.

Open to any tips on supplements, diet, and routine.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.2%

Quote Originally Posted by Banny View Post
    Hey AMs,

I'm 20, 5'9..Started training heavy about 7 weeks ago for the first time since HS. Weighed about ~138, today I'm at around 146. Bf was at around 14.4 last time I got it tested a week or two.

I'm trying to get up in the 170s but just like everyone else keep BF low, develop some abs, etc..

My problem mostly comes with my diet. I've always had pretty bad eating habits..generally eat way too much fried food, way way way too much chocolate, and really...0 vegetables.

I'm open to eating things I generally don't eat. Over the last few weeks I've eaten rice for really the first time in my life and so on.

A dilemma for the next few months is the fact that I transfered Universities and was made to pay for a meal plan. Usually I get the same ol' reply to go buy my own food and cook it etc, I'd love to but thats just not an option for the most part right now.

They don't have too much nutritional info that they give, but in general they have a widespread amount of foods like most university commons..

So its pretty childish but can someone give me a drawn out meal plan I could eat daily (I'm not an idiot so I can vary it myself so its not the same exact thing, but I don't know where to start)

In general they have veggies, burgers, pizza, pasta, wraps/sandwhiches every day and the rest varies, some days chicken some days fish, etc..

Im guessing a good macro would be 40 40 20 but if someone has a better idea please let me know. So in general, what could constitute a 3k calorie diet or so to meet that macro. I do drink a whey shake every day and try to eat a protein bar etc but some days I don't get the 150-200g protein.

Open to any tips on supplements, diet, and routine.

You can find a good balance of food at most university's. I had a meal plan and loved it cause it usually all you can eat..my advice in that aspect would be to just avoid the obvious "junk" food (pizza, ice cream, French fries, soda, brownies, cookies pastries of all sort) these foods provide little to no nutrients and plenty of calories.

Get plenty of lean meats (baked or grilled chicken baked or grilled fish, lean steak/pork)

Macros for a 40/40/20 split would be 300 grams of carbs/300 grams of protein/66 grams of fat

Do you have an iPhone?
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.01%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

determine your TDEE, and dont over think it. develop a macro breakdown that fits your body and training routine and worry less about ratios. i use a method like this:
    1g per pound bodyweight of protein
    .5g of fat
    the rest is carbs....

obviously this changes dependent on workouts and activities but is a good starting point.
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.01%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

also, 3k cals seem high with your stats and keeping bf at a minimum.
    www.lgsciences.com
  5. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.2%

I agree with hva, I was merely showing you what a 40/40/20 split would look like at 3000 cals but it may not be the best for you.
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.01%

Quote Originally Posted by JoeySon View Post
    I agree with hva, I was merely showing you what a 40/40/20 split would look like at 3000 cals but it may not be the best for you.
    its all good....thats a perfect example of why i dont like ratios
    www.lgsciences.com
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  146 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.17%

my TDEE is 2950 with 'heavy exercise' and 2700 with 'moderate', I workout M to F and do a lot of bodyweight and resistance band stuff on the weekends. Either way, like I'm trying to gain weight, wouldn't it be atleast 3k calories, up to 32 or 33 hundred?

As for keeping my bf low, I heard conflicting rec. about this: Would it be better to bulk now and not worry about BF until I'm up to 170s? Either way, now or then, I will either need to gain muscle while not gaining too much fat, or burn fat while not losing too muscle.

And yes, I do have an iPhone. I don't mind the University food too much, and over the last month I've almost completley cut out any chocolate and fried food, including fries. I haven't cut out Pizza though, should I?
  8. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.2%

my TDEE is 2950 with 'heavy exercise' and 2700 with 'moderate', I workout M to F and do a lot of bodyweight and resistance band stuff on the weekends. Either way, like I'm trying to gain weight, wouldn't it be atleast 3k calories, up to 32 or 33 hundred?

As for keeping my bf low, I heard conflicting rec. about this: Would it be better to bulk now and not worry about BF until I'm up to 170s? Either way, now or then, I will either need to gain muscle while not gaining too much fat, or burn fat while not losing too muscle.

And yes, I do have an iPhone. I don't mind the University food too much, and over the last month I've almost completley cut out any chocolate and fried food, including fries. I haven't cut out Pizza though, should I?
    Ya I would cut out pizza, it really provides you with nothing. Maybe once every week or two if u have to have it.

Download the app "myfitnesspal" it's a free terrific app I use almost daily.

As far as cutting now/bulking now or whatever method to take, only you can answer that. If you simply just try to add weight you will certainly add some fat along with muscle. If you're comfortable with a little extra baggage for awhile then sure go ahead and bulk now and cut later. If you're going after more of a lean/slim look then I would cut now.

Just my 2 cents
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  146 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.17%

Thanks.

If I were to cut now, what type of diet should I do and with what type of routine? Cut out most fats and work on more cardio? While I am looking for a leaner look in the end, like I had said, my target is 20 more lb and I wouldn't mind adding more fat temp.

What do you think is easier, cutting BF but relativley not losing too much strength, or adding weight with a leaner look? The biggest problem I have with that is in order to keep BF minimum I would probably only gain 2 or 3lb per month, and I am looking to gain a bit quicker.

I know I'm confusing myself too, thanks for all the help.
  10. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.2%

Thanks.

If I were to cut now, what type of diet should I do and with what type of routine? Cut out most fats and work on more cardio? While I am looking for a leaner look in the end, like I had said, my target is 20 more lb and I wouldn't mind adding more fat temp.

What do you think is easier, cutting BF but relativley not losing too much strength, or adding weight with a leaner look? The biggest problem I have with that is in order to keep BF minimum I would probably only gain 2 or 3lb per month, and I am looking to gain a bit quicker.

I know I'm confusing myself too, thanks for all the help.
    Yea as I'm sure you understand it's a marathon not a sprint with this. You can establish a large goal and have smaller goals along the way to keep you going and motivated.

It is very difficult, nearly impossible, to burn fat and build muscle simultaneously in a quick fashion when training naturally.

It sounds as if for now, you would just like to get bigger?

Similar Forum Threads

1. phera/sd bridge clean bulk help
    By sportf190 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2008, 12:43 PM
  2. Clean Bulk Help
    By bubbaw in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-15-2008, 10:53 PM
  3. football trials june , bulk help
    By warren in forum Bulking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2008, 10:12 PM
  4. Fast metabolism just cant bulk Help!!
    By rocksolid84 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 12:33 AM
  5. Clean Bulk HELP!
    By punta in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-02-2005, 10:19 PM